Photo by Melody

Accessible Gardening: #14: Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners

Communities > Forums > Accessible Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Accessible GardeningReplies: 252, Views: 822
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 7, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #8958802

Welcome to the 14th installment of Practical Matters for Physically Challenged Gardeners. On this thread we discuss the day-to-day challenges of gardening and otherwise enjoying the outdoors when there is also some sort of physical limitation to contend with. Contributors here may be anything from mildly mobility challenged due to aging to those gardening from wheelchairs. The visually impaired can range from ďcanít see those little seeds like I once couldĒ to blind. Also, there are those coping with the energy deficits that are a part of Depression, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and heart/lung ailments. We are a diverse group. Feel free to join in. We came from here:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1230532//
we decided to keep an updated list of websites and books on different aspects of accessible gardening in the introduction of this thread. Feel free to add or give your opinion of the sites/books listed
WEBSITES: Please let us know about any sites you have found especially helpful or if you found links invalid.
Thrive
http://www.carryongardening.org.uk/
-This site addresses gardening with various types of challenges. This website is based in the U.K... Some gardening vocabulary might be unfamiliar to U.S. gardeners. This is not a major issue, however. Highly recommended
-AgrAbility
http://fyi.uwex.edu/agrability/about/
AgrAbility is a program for disabled farmers and ranchers. The focus is on agriculture rather than horticulture. The link is to AgrAbility ďAbout UsĒ page. If you need info such as how to get from a wheelchair into a pick-up truck, this is the place to go.
-Gardening Tips for the Visually Impaired http://www.visionaware.org/gardening_tips_for_the_visually_impaired

-Gardening from a wheelchair
http://www.mda.org/publications/quest/q31garden.html

BOOKSóAll, except one. of these books are available in audio format from the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. The exception is ďGarden UnseenĒ which is only available in Braille at the time of this post. This list was compiled by a visually impaired person; there may be print books available that are not on the list. Please correct the oversight, if you know of any. The books in this list are, of course, also available in print and may be at your local library.
-Garden Unseen by L. Stevens
-Accessible Gardening for People with Physical Disabilities by Janeen R. Adil (We especially liked the list of recommended vegetables for containers and raised beds found in this book.)
-The Enabling Garden: A Guide to Lifelong Gardening by Gene Rothert--Written by a horticultural therapist employed at the Chicago Botanic Garden. It should be kept in mind that this book was written 17 years ago. Some of the information on raised bed building materials is outdated, but it is still worth reading since the author gardens from a wheelchair. He possesses both academic and first-hand knowledge.
-Gardening Through Your Golden Years by James W. Wilson
-Accessible Gardening: Tips & Techniques for Seniors by Joann Woy
Very comprehensive. No matter what problems advancing age is throwing at you to spoil your gardening fun, you should find a way to keep gardening in this book. Mobility limitations, visual impairment and more subtle issues such as balance are all addressed. Will possibly be updated later this year. .
--The Able Gardener: Overcoming Barriers of Age and Physical Limitations by Kathleen Yeoman
A good book for those new to gardening and those who garden on the west coast. Some information may be outdated, but much garden knowledge stands the test of time well.

This message was edited Jan 7, 2012 11:28 PM

Thumbnail by Amargia
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 7, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #8958825

I will forever remember "The Able Gardener" as the "My dog ate the whole bag of bonemeal" book. lol.
Enjoy your trip, Carrie!
BTW: The dog suffered nothing worse than a tummy ache. ~N~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 8, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #8959176

Thank you, Kay. :-)

Hope the weather holds good for you, Carrie.

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 8, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #8959941

I had a dog get into bonemeal once. He did'nt eat much before I caught him tho.
Am in the process of destroying my house or at least that's what it looks like. Lowes people will put down my new linoleum next week.No more carpet!!!YES!!! Can't make up my mind what color to paint inside walls with tho.Am leaning toward a dark golden orange with blue trim. or the golden orange with a dark maroon. Orange sounds brighter than bright but this color is muted.

Am still going thru some depression. Who would have thunk with all the wonderful renovating. Sometimes wonder if maybe I bit off more than I can chew.I will keep my eye on the end result tho.LOL
Grandson is gone from the mountain, only lost $25 and some odds and ends this time.His mom (my DD)Is mad at me cause I chewed him out. I cannot get through her head that yes he is her son but I am HER mother and to steal is wrong.An Alice meets the Mad Hatter kind of thing.

Thanks Kay for the list of books.
Hope you had fun Carrie.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #8960735

I've been feeling like I have bitten off more than I can chew for awhile. You get used to the feeling. ;-)
Getting rid of the carpeting here is something I've never regretted. It makes life much easier when you have animals. Floor is a little cool on winter mornings, but now I can justify buying fun house shoes. Jim's larger than normal w/c means we've had to renovate our renovations. I think we will go with the sliding glass door. We won't even need the special ramp if we sink the door frame into the wood frame so the sliding track is flush. No doubt the crevice cleaner on the vacuum will get a workout, but a sliding door is easiest for both w/c users and v.i.p's, especially in a small space. No open doors in traffic lanes to bump into and the door itself doesn't get in the way when you are negotiating a w/c through the doorway.
I always preferred warm colors. I've heard it suggested that you paint a big swatch of the color you are considering on your wall and live with it for a few days before committing to it by painting the whole room. We are not very adventurous with wallcolor after our "Chutney" experience. Jim likes cool colors so the main bedroom is gray/blue punched up with burgundy. Crisp white, Navaho white and caramel are in the remainder of the house. k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 9, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #8961054

Me, too, Vickie. Worst bout in years. I know enough has happened in the last six months to have precipitated it, but my goodness! This, I could have done without. :-)

I like carpet underfoot, and it is a real bad idea with these dogs, so just as well the house has all hard surface flooring. Hope you have fun with the color coordination.

Sliders sound like a good thing, Kay.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012
12:48 AM

Post #8961511

Kay, You've talked me into it.LOL think I'll see if sliding doors can be put in. Now all I've got to do is gather myself up and find a carpenter and painter.Lowes will do the floors but the rest is up to me.
In my older years, I've broke down and wear furry houseshoes.(When I can keep Scoot from carrying them outside.)Barefoot was always the way to go inside or out.
Hugs Debra.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #8961727

Thank you, Kay, for this beautiful new thread.

Debra! The ONE DAY we spend in Texas it pours ALL DAY!! What's up with that? Our fantasies of moving are all rekindled by the pleasure at seeing out grandchildren again . DD#2 looked at North Texas State and liked it.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 10, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #8961836

My bachelors is from UNT. Because it is a commuter school, there is less of a sense of cohesion and identity with the school like you might find in a Stanford or Arkansas State, but it has fine programs, including the 1:00 Lab Band from their Jazz music programs.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 10, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #8962352

Today Iím reading ďGardening for a Lifetime: How to Garden Wiser as You Grow Older by Sydney Eddison. I thought I would have trouble staying focused since nothing she writes about is applicable to me. The focus is ornamental landscape gardening. There isnít much on the nuts and bolts of the subject, but it is a charming book. (ďCharmingĒ isnít a word that slides naturally into my vocabulary). Still, it is the best word I can think of. Itís a wide angle book that is more about the different philosophies of gardening in your advanced years. She embraces the writers maxim ďWrite what you knowĒ so she refers often to her own Connecticut garden and those of her friends. This makes the book of particular interest to New England gardeners. I appreciate that she doesnít shy away from the hard issues like getting help and tough questions like, ďWould it be better for me to adapt my current garden or should I move on to something smaller and more manageable? Also, I like that she touches on the many options for reducing labor in the garden and doesnít only tout the option that works for her. Everything from the Ruth Stout method to growing in containers is mentioned.
Itís a gray, hazy day at Amargia. Not much going on outside. Papa Jim had a problem with his Sleep Number bed last night. In the course of doing research, he discovered that excessive mold growth on the product is often reported. That is an explanation for Kayís ongoing problems we havenít considered. Replacing the Sleep Number with a standard orthopedic mattress seemed advisable. I didnít see any visual signs of mold, but Kayís skin is very thin and sensitive. There are days I envy Kay her thin skin. You can SEE her veins. The nurse at the blood bank had to stab my finger multiple times to check for iron deficiency. And, that is just the preliminaries of giving blood. Oh well, it gets me a new blood donor t-shirt and that warm, fuzzy feeling. Not to mention an excuse for chilling the remainder of the day. ~N~

This message was edited Jan 10, 2012 7:54 PM

This message was edited Jan 10, 2012 7:57 PM

This message was edited Jan 10, 2012 8:09 PM
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 10, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #8962655

Evidently, Nadine and I both need to quit for the day. Sleep deprivation has her too if it took her four attempts to get the above correct.
I did find a powdery white substance on the interior foam when I dismantled the old mattress for disposal. . It will have been well worth a sleepless night if we have found the cause of Kayís recent health troubles. That reminds me, Carrie, were you ever able to get the anti-allergy vacuum working right? (Jim)
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 11, 2012
9:10 PM

Post #8964337

MK recieved the new t-shirt today, Debra. It looks great.
PJ worked outside most of the day while MK was at the computer buried up in medical transcription work. Now that was a change! ~N~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 12, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #8964692

Yea! Thank PJ for the ideas. I love all the layers of meaning.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #8965306

Debra, coolio. She (DD) applied online practically instantly.

Turns out in Texas, you can apply for just the part of Medicaid you need, and they DO have a home care program, and DH's income is NOT included when calculating that. Speaking of which,I got denied for MassHealth as of midnight tonight. I got a big old manila envelope to put all the required documents in. (They needed pay stubs and proof of this and that.) So it was returned for insufficient postage. I put ANOTHER 44 cent stamp on it and mailed it at the post office. I called 1/4/12 to inquire and they said they were SURE it was sitting around in a pile somewhere; that they were very backed up and it wasn't in the system yet. Yesterday I got two horrible pieces of mail: the notice saying my benefits would end 1/12/12 and my original re-enrollment envelope with the four 44 cent stamps on it!! Oy. I've spent more time on hold these last two days with Medicaid than I can think. So yesterday my PCA cleverly faxed in my application with all the attachments and with a poignant letter about how badly we (I) need PCAs. Now they have (admit to) my application in the system.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 13, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #8966076

Don't know what her major is, and I graduated in 1999, so many of my professors at North Texas are now gone, but these people are good resources.

Dr. Daniel G.Rodeheaver, Associate Professor/Chairperson-Sociology. Humorous and sometimes a little brusque. Has no patience for loafers or attitudes, but is SOLID support if you show some interest and at least try. He was one of the three people I asked for a recommendation letter for me to get into University of Texas at Dallas' graduate school.

David Williamson, Associate Professor-Sociology. He, too, has a sense of humor, if not as easy a one as Dr. Rodeheaver's. Deeply religious. Works/worked extensively with medical sociology programs in African countries like Cameroon, and women's studies in Israel.

Mr. Glenn Kasparian, Adjunct Faculty-Biology. In addition to teaching at UNT, Kasparian teaches Anatomy and Physiology in the Dallas County Community College District. He has a reputation as an extraordinarily tough academic instructor, but if you pass his class, you know your stuff. He also teaches Tai Chi at the Brookhaven campus in DCCCD. Know from four semesters of personal experience that he is an extraordinarily flexible and supportive instructor in THIS subject. :-)

Dr. Susan Brown Eve, Associate Dean-Honors College. Don't know her, really, but she also had a solid reputation for supporting her students.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 13, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #8966403

Oh, Carrie, being without medical insurance is bad even for me and I am in generally good health. One of the reasons I give blood is it is a cheap way to learn if I am iron deficient. If Iím not, I pay for the test with a pint of blood. I can not even imagine what it would mean for you to be without medical insurance. BTW, great article. I lucked out today. Both articles were about tea plants. It wasnít the focus of Shari Scottís article, but hibiscus is synonymous with tea in my mind. ďRed ZingerĒ is one of my favorite commercial blends of herb tea. Hibiscus is the major ingredient in that one I think. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #8966440

HAPPY BIRTHDAY KATIE!

Nadine, it seems like if I drive 45 min. or so (I always ALWAYS get lost) to the nearest office, they can fix it for me. And I ALWAYS have Medicare. And I just refilled most of my pills. It's being without PCAs that terrifies me. I'll have to pay out of pocket -- and me pockets aren't THAT deep.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 14, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #8967200

Hey, Katie! Feliz cumpleaŮos! (hug)
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #8967478

Kb, a belated Happy Birthday from all of us at Amargia.
No rest for the wicked. I planted our native eastern red cedars (juniperus virginiana) along the entire length of Amargia's eastern boundary. It's a xera-scape area and none of the nursery recommended trees we trialed did well. Some survived, but none thrived. The junipers should not have any trouble with the conditions once they get established. However, forgot the eastern boundary is like a busy deer highway linking one stretch of woodland with another. The trees averaged only 4-5' tall so I thought I could get away without staking. Jim saw a doe pull a tree down on herself this morning. Deer will nibble on juniper at the height of winter when more palatable food is scarce. Neither deer nor juniper suffered any permanent harm, but obviously I need to go hammer in some stakes and re-think a dog-free Amargia. I'm imagining the harm deer could do if there were no territorial dog to keep them in check. The daylilies need a dog! k*

Thumbnail by Amargia

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 14, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #8967650

Does anyone care what bergamot is? It's used to flavor Earl Grey tea and in men's colognes and... in other things I can't think of. I'm trying to think of shorter articles to write, rather than the entire social history of tea from 2727 BC onward. It looks very warm in that picture of Armagia...my feet are very cold!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 14, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #8967840

:-) We cheated in honor of Katie's b'day. No DL blossoms here until April. Daytime highs have been in the upper 50's for the last few days. Nighttime low's only slightly above freezing. That's a May picture of one of the daylilies that needs a dog. It has green leaves at the moment, but that is all. The tentative ID is that it is an old variety called Mrs. Nesbit's Clone. I still think it holds its own as the prettiest of the pinks and it is tough even by daylily standards.
I'm impressed by Papa Jim's determination. He worked outside a lot this week. He has taken on the task of weeding the shady wildflowr bank and planting it in some kind of groundcover. He sits on the ground to do it, but it is getting done. He hasn't decided what to plant yet. I would like to see some violets there, but I'm not sure beyond that. Kay wants to trial wintergreen. But, it is marginal here and finicky from what I've read. It might be better to trial that in a raised bed in the Fragrance Garden. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #8968561

Shady bank = vinca minor, up here!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 15, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #8968602

I like vinca minor, especially the variegated and gold varieties. Our area is in Stage 3 water restrictions, so not much new will be going in my yard unless we get exceptional quantities of Spring rains. But it is on my list for later.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #8968674

Here it is practically a weed, or can be very vigorous! DH is going to apply for the Dallas job!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 15, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #8968733

WooHoo, neighbors!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #8968782

possibly...we'll see.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 15, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #8968979

Kay and Jim, you can show Travis his seedling is doing well so far. :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #8969305

Travis will like that! I'll have him paint a small raised bed for it. He is having a hard time with his mother's abandonment of the family. I think Amargia is his security blanket at this time.
Alright, Carrie! No more cold feet...possibly. Would this article be about bergamot orange, as in the citrus tree? One of the two different kinds of monarda called bergamot? Or, orange bergamot mint? Or, is orange bergamot mint just another name for one of the monardas?
But, wait, you mentioned Earl Grey. That means the citrus tree. I think so anyway. Yeah, I'm prety sure it is the fruit juice that is used in tea. Or, is it the dried peel of the fruit. LOL. Yes, I'd say the subject needs some attention. I'm a tea drinker. There are still quite a few of us. We should know these things. k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 16, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #8969869

Can understand that, my paternal grandmother was mine.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #8969913

The citrus tree bergamot--but YOU know about all the different kinds, and nobody else does. It could be "What exactly is bergamot, anyway?"
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 16, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #8969970

That sounds like a good article idea, Carrie. I would like to learn more about teas. I assume all the differerent plants called bergamot are used in tea. A very elderly woman named Mary Hyde started a 4:30 tea tradition at Amargia. It may have started out distinctly Irish, butI doubt Miss Mary would recognize it anymore as her creation. Mindy made it more about herb teas and I put an oriental twist on it in my turn introducing green tea to the mix. I tried one of Kayís black teas once. It was called English breakfast. Wicked stuff. It stood my hair on end. ;-) Kay says I would have liked it better if I had added a little cream. Cream in tea! My southern sensibilities rebel at the thought.
We are moving a large peach tree today. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
1:29 PM

Post #8970150

Traditionally MILK is for tea and CREAM is what you put (as in clotted cream,which is more like ... whipped cream cheese, I guess) on your scones. I adore English Breakfast but not without a tiny bit of sugar. Irish Breakfast is if you're trying to grow a full beard!

Just the oil of the citrus tree bergamot is used in Earl Grey tea; the other stuff is called bergamot because it resembles the smell, I was surprised to learn! We writers are now trying to think of a reason to have a week of odd citrus articles.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 17, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #8971503

Well, it is harvest season for Floridaís citrus. That seems like a good reason for citrus related articles to me. I donít know about the harvest seasons in the citrus growing regions of CA, AZ and TX, but logic says they would be the same. Harvest season falls in Dec. here, but we are at the northern extreme for citrus. We can grow only a few hardy varieties.
Finished moving the peach tree. What a job! It was about 10í tall with two trunks about the thickness of a manís forearm. It partially obstructed a path in the Bee-Zare Garden. (The higher limbs presented a threat to the faces and eyes of VI gardeners and it is so fast growing there is no keeping it trimmed back.) .) It had to either be moved or cut down. MK was for cutting it down. It is a variety that does better a little further south. It buds very early and often gets caught by late frost. When it does escape late frost, however, it is amazingly productive so PJ wanted to save it. He won the coin toss. It is already beginning to form buds. Adjusting to the move may delay it enough to give us a good harvest this year. We got the whole root system and it was out of the ground very briefly. I have little concern it will survive the move. It is much tougher than our other peach trees.
Its new home is on the boundry of the w/c garden. PJ is moving toward fewer annual raised beds. What remains are tabletop, e-buckets, and strawbales that will mainly be planted with tomatoes, peppers and strawberries this summer. .) He is putting more focus on permaculture and perennial food crops like asparagus, grapes, kiwi, figs and pomegranates. We are debating putting hardy citrus there. Citrus and figs donít make good neighbors. We are doing research on how far apart they need to be to keep both happy. ~N~
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #8971517

I enjoyed the lecture on teas. Love most teas. Think I'm back temporarily. My house is a complete wreck.But am in seventh heaven. My walls are all white with primer and my floors have no carpet nor linoleum. But when thru I'll have a new house. This is the first time in my life I'm redecorating with no one else to please but myself.(a good feeling)
i'm at DD,s on her computer. Heaven knows when my house will be back to normal.The linoleum is dark blue and brown stone pattern. The walls will be blue in some rooms ,pink in my bedroom and golden and burgandy in LR. I got carried away and ordered about a dozen magaziness. Have got to stop spending money now.
Carrie, Will love having you as an almost neighbor in Dallas.
Take care all
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #8971714

Welcome back Vickie!! He has to get the job, first, people.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 20, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #8975993

We have a winner! Remember Kayís contest to give the Fragrance Garden a snazzy new name? The ďOutta Sight GardenĒ has been chosen as the new name. Now, Kayís garden has a name as weird as the other gardens. LOL.
Glad you popped in, Vickie. I was beginning to get concerned. When you are through re-designing your house, feel free to come re-design Amargia. I haven't done very well so far when it comes to beautifying things. I'm settling for functional and do what I'm told beyond that. .
Debra, do you remember the name of the daylily for Travis? I remember it is very colorful. Thought I would send him a picture of the plant in bloom, if I can find one.
This is what Kayís been up to today. Planning out a way to get 4 seasons of interest in the neglected wooded corner I have been weeding. I especially like the Snakeroot and the creeping blueberries. Notice how many of the plants are fragrant? ;-) The power in the name comes from the electric power pole and support cable that is there. One of the reasons it was neglected. How do you design around something like that? We decided to keep it wild and funÖandÖsurprise. SurpriseÖfragrant.
Shade Power Slope
January: Osmanthus fragrans CN: Sweet Olive On boundary.
Febrary: Sarcococca confusa CN: Sweet Box
March: Oxalis articulata f. crassipes CN: Pink fairy bells, Pink Oxalis or Pink Woodsorrel
April: Viola walteri CN: Prostrate blue violet
May: Actaea racemosa 'Black Negligee' CN: Black snakeroot. cohosh
June: Vaccinium crassifolium ĎWellís Delightí CN: Southern Creeping blueberry
July: Gardenia jasminoids CN: Cape Jasmine, Gardenia
August: Hydrangea quercifolia CN: Oakleaf hydrangea
September: Clethra almifolia CN: Summersweet
October: Luzula sylvatica 'Aureaí CN: Golden Greater Woodrush (Or, Hakonechloa macra ĎAureolaí CN: Yellow Japanese Forest Grass, if an affordable source of the latter
Can be found.) Both are shade grasses with yellow accents.
November: Rhus aromatica ĎGrow-Lowí Fragrant Sumac
December: Ophiopogon japonicus CN: Mondo Grass/Monkey Grass Use the different sizes and shades for interest, yet consistency. Standard, Dwarf, Semi-dwarf, Black, etcÖ
Now, if we can just stick with the plan. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 21, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #8976317

Like the name, Kay. :-)

Aromatherapy is cheaper than a PhD. :-D

Tell Travis his daylily is a seedling from Spacecoast Pattern Plus and Spacecoast Modern Symmetry. The flower hasn't come up yet to see what it will look like. Kind of like having daylily children. Don't know what you will get or which parent it will look like, but it will surely be colorful from this mom and dad. This seedling will be THE most fun of them all to see what we get.

http://www.kinnebrewdaylilygarden.com/spring2007/SCBehaviorPattern.htm
http://allthingsplants.com/plants/view/66126/Daylily-Hemerocallis-Spacecoast-Behavior-Pattern/

http://www.kinnebrewdaylilygarden.com/spring2009/SpacecoastModernSymmetry.htm
http://www.daylilies.org/DaylilyDB/detail.php?id=160112&name=Spacecoast%20Modern%20Symmetry

LOVE Black Mondo grass. It is too dry here for it to do well--and I've tried! Like the looks of the Forest Grass and, though I haven't tried it, it is too dry here for it, as well. I get sales and catalogs and such all the time. If find good ones on these two plants, will let you know.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #8977383

I like the Outta Sight Garden! The name, at least. I think I've askedyou before, but do you label your gardens for visitors and the uninitiated, or is it just a big in-thing?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 22, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #8977662

Guess I should have said too dry without supplemental water, which I don't provide. :-D Couldn't this year, anyway, due to the water restrictions. But I DO like those grasses...

Carrie, if DH gets the Dallas job, be prepared to find a home with landscaping already in place. At least for now. You wouldn't be able to add any this year, or fill/refill a pool. Unless all of North Texas gets miracle rains between now and May or June to bring the lake levels back up. Texas only has one natural lake (on the Texas/Louisiana border). But we have many reservoirs and all of them are well below normal.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #8977678

WE WOULD GET AN APARTMENT! I can't take care of a house: we JUST got a vacuum cleaner this year. Do they have accessible housing there? What I found most heartening (after hours on the phone getting transferred around from dept. to dept.) is that they look at MY income and MY assets if I'M the one requesting home services. If we want Medicaid across the board then they look at ALL our assets, but that's not what we'd be asking for!

I just want a patio or a balcony or maybe even a window! Nothing to mow or water.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 22, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #8977701

Accessible housing is rare. There is a certain institutional arrogance in a lot of areas around here and support for accessibility in any venue can be limited. But the agency(s) with whom you will be working should have some resources to check out. Or you can contact a company like Apartment Finder. I have used them in the past and been happy with the service and selection. Their fee comes from the apartments, so it is free to you.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #8977861

Apartment Finder, hunh? Doesn't the Government have to provide a certain percentage of accessible or adaptable housing, out of new housing? I think JetBlue has a WeGetToChooseTheRealtorAndYouHaveThreeWeeksToChoose policy, and I highly doubt their realtor has ever dealt with this type of situation.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 22, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #8978203

I know east Texas has (or had) apartment complexes especially for para- and quadriplegics with on-duty aids 24-7. (I know because I just typed up MK's resume and she once worked as an aid.) My friends Scott and Cathy live in an apartment complex geared toward the disabled and elderly. I've heard them mention "the housing authority" and H.U.D. I know their apartment isn't just low income. With an aging population, there should be more such places, not fewer.
The sign for the BeeZare Garden is the only sign Iíve finished, but Iím still making them as time allows. . I thought I would do Uncle Sam laying in a hammock for the Old Soldiers Garden and the classic skunk with a flower for the Outta Sight Garden. I could put a little twist on it by making the skunk look like a hippie from the 60's. Headband and lovebeads. I haven't come up with anything I really like for the w/c & Standing Gardens. Maybe, the morning glory in a w/c I posted here a long time ago for the wheelchair portion. I need to re-paint the entranceway into the w/c garden soon.
The plan for the Outta Sight Garden looks good. The traditional rose and iris combination will run along the north side. (Our mystery rose and a highly scented iris called ĎImmortality.í) There is a hotspot at the NW corner of the workhouse that is still giving us trouble. The sedum and prostrate rosemary combination are a success as groundcovers for the spot. The current plan, such as it is, has us adding a few Echinacea called ĎFragrant Angelí backed by an as-yet-unknown heat tolerant vine on a trellis against the building. MK hasnít found the right vine yet) We decided to put the Owari orange in the Outta Sight Garden and not risk the potential problems of the fig-orange combination. We chased down the most heat-tolerant witch hazel to use in the shady portion. . They are marginal here, but MK couldnít resist the idea of some sort of winter fragrance. I think a witch hazel and the new fragrant ĎGolden Craneí hydrangea will make funny looking neighbors, but this is the Outta Sight garden. ;-) We will try a Japanese climbing hydrangea (Schizophragma hydrangeoides) where consistently damp soil has been a problem. So far, moss and blue mist flowers have been the only plants that do well there. We are slowly taking out all the mondo grass weíve used as edging up to now. It is being moved to Travisís garden or the Shade Power slope. We have standard, semi-dwarf and dwarf mondo grass. I donít think we have any of the black yet.
MK and I are typing our little fingers off so we can buy all the new plants, but I am excited about the changes. Papa Jim has been pruning the glossy privet. One he took completely down to give the native holly more space. The second he limbed up and is allowing to assume its small tree size. A third he is letting grow to its natural height, but not its natural form. It is like an unsupported espalier against the west side of the workhouse. The idea is it will shade the house from the afternoon sun. We will lose the flowering by doing this, but the scent of glossy privet can get overwhelming that close to the deck. Most people grow it for its large, glossy leaves and prune off the flowers. Kay says they smell like ďa heavily perfumed ferret.Ē I wish we could send you some rain, Debra. Weíve had some real torrents lately. Fenny is still terrified of storms. She keeps everyone in the house awake during storms. I think we need a dog psychiatrist. She was rescued from a drainage pipe just ahead of one of our flash flood rainstorms. I think it is just a puppyhood trauma she canít get past. She probably associates rainstorms with being abandoned. She was a barely weaned puppy when she was dumped. She couldnít have been on her own long before the rain hit and PJ spotted her in the ditch. Lol. Perhaps, I should become a dog psychiatrist myself. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 22, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #8978235

Is Dallas in East Texas? I have NO clue! I know it's 3 hours from Austin.

You know, Nadine, one of the kids--she's my age so I'll call her a lady, now--she IS a dog psychiatrist. But she lives in Portland or Seattle or somewhere.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2012

Post #8978780

DH has just been diagnosed with degenerative disc disease--that's what Jim has, right? Tell me everything. His MDs are planning to give him an epidural to paralyze just those nerves. Have you heard of that?
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 23, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #8979703

The city motto for Dallas is ďWhere the East Ends.Ē If I had to describe its location, Iíd say north central.
I had that procedure. It gave me relief for a couple of months. It isnít considered a viable option for me since the relief lasted such a short time. An epidural is too expensive and risky a procedure to be done often. The doctors were surprised the effects didnít last longer so evidently it does give longer lasting relief to most. I think stature is an issue, but that is my personal pet theory. Iíve observed the people it works best for tend to be small or of average size. Iím over 6í tall and I think I see a pattern in which DDD hits taller people harder. It seems logical. The very tall have more bone and joint problems, in general. Patsy is in her early 60ís and got over two years of relief from the procedure, but she is part of what inspired my theory. She isnít even quite 5í tall. I would have the procedure again if my insurance would cover it. Even a few months of less pain would be something. If nothing else, the lessened pain means you get more recuperative, healing sleep.
Speaking of Patsy reminded me of an option you might consider, Carrie. She just sold her house and moved into a gated community where things are designed to be accessible for the elderly and the landscaping is taken care of by the developers. (Patsy chose a small house, but there were condo units also.) An aging population is making this sort of development popular ergo more profitable. Such developments are springing up like mushrooms here. I think youíre right. The problem will be fining a realtor who is up on things. You might try talking to someone in Rehabilitation Services for the Dallas area. They are usually up on what accessible housing is available. A letter or email might be best so they have some leisure to find the available info.
I think Fenny is just a worrier and she has a 6th sense when it comes to bad weather. The recent storms have caused two deaths, over a dozen serious injuries and authorities are still calculating the property damage. There were tornadoes in AR about the same time. I believe Vickie is up in the mountains enough tornadoes donít present much threat. Wave at us anyway Vickie so we know for sure. (Jim)
We donít mention Patsy often, but it is her you see in most published Amargia photos.

Thumbnail by seacanepain

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 24, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #8980639

Yes, I've seen that picture! DH used to be 6' but is now 5'10" -- I assume from slumped discs and painful posture. Your theory makes total sense, Jim, but don't forget DH's pain comes from actually breaking his back. We'll see what happens. I am cautiously optimistic.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #8981307

I hope it helps him. Jim's back was originally injured in an aircraft explosion, but I don't think it was as serious an injury as your husband's. The epidural Jim had was to numb the nerves and inject steroids into the problem site to promote healing. There might be more than one procedure like that. Some new procedures are available since Jim last considered surgical options.
Jim was planning to have the damaged part of the spine fused. But, during the preliminary work to identify the precise vertebrae that were causing the trouble (discography). The surgeon hit a horsetail nerve which caused Jim's pulse and blood pressure to skyrocket. He was just unlucky. Hitting a nerve is always a slight risk. But, needless to say, he wasn't a happy camper. It takes weeks for an injured nerve to heal and is very painful. He is just getting to the point where he is considering surgical options again...
The idea of fusing the vertebrae sounded terrible to me at first because it limits movement. A doctor, whom I trust, told me mens spines naturally fuse some as they age so it isn't such a bad thing. We have an appointment Feb. 2nd to talk about options again. Jim no longer smokes and has lost weight. He is no longer in a stressful job. His blood pressure is better. I think all that will help.
Jim took his cushion out to the front bank and cut down a large swatch of seacane. He then put a tarp over the cleared area and stapled it down. .I will cover it with mulch tomorrow. We are hoping by this method to finally get the seacane under control. Nadi and I worked raising funds. In other words we typed and proofread all day. I am more than ready for some time outside. k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2012

Post #8981640

DH is painting trim that's by the floor boards which is pretty much agonizing for him! I told him he should get one of those work under the car things that rolls around and he pointed out that we're trying to SAVE money, not cost money, by doing it ourselves (himself).

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #8981652

Oh, in other news, I'm going to have surgery in the next 2-6 weeks to have a baclofen pump installed. I had one before 1995-97 which never worked. It's a pump the size of a can of tuna (they always say the size of a hockey puck but who knows how big a hockey puck is?) under the skin in your (my) abdomen attached to a tube that goes into your intrathecal space (around the spinal column). Baclofen is available orally but it makes me STUPID. And intrathecally it goes straight into the CNS to do its work without going through the stomach, brain, etc.

In the daytime I think it's crazy to try something AGAIN which didn't work before. At night, when the pain and spasticity are keeping me awake, I'm telling myself about all the advances they've made in the last 15+ years...this thing was breaking news when I first tried it, now apparently it's routine. I would be in the hospital for ~ 5 days rehabbing -- they didn't do that before, either.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 25, 2012
10:35 AM

Post #8981853

fingers crossed for everyone
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 25, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #8982259

lol. I have only the vaguest idea what a hockey puck looks like.
The tomatoes we planted are doing well. Tara, Kay's eldest, went through a retro-60's phase. Black light posters and all that. The old black lights she had in her room were still in storage. We decided to experiment and see how the seedlings liked black lights. They seem to like it. It's been a 60's themed day. I was typing up something about the musician, Ronnie Lane, I didn't know he had MS. ~N~
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 27, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #8984889

There must have been more wind yesterday than I thought. It appears that not everything we heard hitting the roof was rain. I had to sweep pine straw and small debris off the roof today. I picked up 6 large garbage cans full of sweepings and probably have at least that many more to pick up tomorrow to finish the job. MK plans to have the two pine trees nearest the house taken down this year. I know Iím not going to miss them! Itís a nice view from up there, but I learned Iím a little afraid of heights. Once Iím up Iím okay. Itís the getting from the ladder to the roof and vice versa I find scary. If I hadnít done it though, MK or PJ would have. As spooky as it was, it wasnít as much a heart-in-my-throat experience as the time I came home to find MK on the roof cleaning the gutters. It may indeed be something a blind person of MKís experience and physical skill level can do as safely as anyone else, but watching her makes me a complete nervous wreck. I did the job for my own sanity. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #8985383

No tomatoes here until plant 'em out in April, ripen in July, maybe?

Consult with surgeon 3/12.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 28, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #8985574

Good work, Nadine. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 28, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #8985698

ACK DH officially applied for the DFW job. Start date of 5/1--well, JetBlue in Dallas opens 5/1. He says we would probably move 4/1! Yeesh, or, as I always say, wow!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #8986851

I have to talk to surgeon's office tomorrow because if I consult with him 3/12 and he maybe does the surgery earliest 4/1 that's when I'm supposed to be moving, not spending a week in rehab! Maybe I should just start all over again with a surgeon etc. in Dallas. Debra, who's your neurologist, or whom do you recommend? I would need the best PT for neuro rehab (not the same as the best PT for sports rehab or for ortho rehab).

OH, in other news, I have a reader in PA (I think) who's desperately trying to grow either coffee or tea or both. Can you humid climate types help?

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 5:01 PM
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 29, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #8986885

Don't think you would like my neuro--I don't, but then I don't really need regular care and he is in the same office as my internist. My going to that neuro makes the internist happy, so I am happy. LOL Besides, it is extremely unlikely that you will settle on my side of town if your husband is going to be working at DFW. Garland is a NE suburb of Dallas. The airport is on the other side of Dallas, toward the west midway between Dallas and Fort Worth. Getting from here to there during rush hour is a nightmare. It's a large area. When people started moving here, lots of land was available, so growth went out, not up like in the north and northeast. Because of population size, distances, lack of extensive public transportation, and continuous construction, traffic congestion and access are often time consuming and limited. Not to mention that the Metroplex, unfortunately, has some of the rudest drivers in the nation, which causes more accidents and road rage incidents than in many other areas. (Dallas ranks well up in the top 10). So I would say that where you and your husband decide to live should probably dictate which provider you choose.

The medical centers at, and associated with, UT Southwestern are some of the best in the world, with five Nobel prize winners in the last 25 years. You will not find better or more comprehensive care anywhere, for any condition, and that is where I would start. If their location is inconvenient, they will certainly have referrals to other areas of DFW. Here is the link to their Multiple Sclerosis specialists.
http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/patientcare/medicalservices/neuro/ms.html

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #8986932

So which part of town should I be looking in? My in-laws are very near Lake Worth. (Or Fort Lake, but I think it's Lake Worth.) But that's mostly irrelevant to where we live. DH changes the odds of getting the job every day--it used to be 20%, now it's 40%!
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 29, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #8987214

Lake Worth is west of Ft. Worth proper and I would probably stay west of the airport, then. I believe Tarrant County property taxes are generally lower than Dallas County, anyway, if you decide to buy a townhouse or condominium. You might look at:

Colleyville--northwest of the airport; a lot of well-heeled residents, but not obnoxious to newcomers like Southlake is reputed to be.

Grapevine-due north; has Delaney Vineyards, an annual wine festival, Great Wolf Lodge (a tourist-attraction resort with an indoor waterpark) and Grapevine Lake, which has an attractive shoreline when we've had rain. It is a sailing lake, where others like Lewisville Lake are more powerboat. Spent 20 years living close to both, and I think Grapevine Lake is prettier.

North Richland Hills--due west; has a grounded sense of community, including a community garden and public space artworks.

I like Arlington, but that's only because the baseball stadium is there. (So is the football stadium and Six Flags, but those two facilities are irrelevant to me. :D It is almost impossible to tell the differences between the bulk of the Mid-Cities and suburbs just driving, but living in each municipality has a different sensibility and different agenda. Depends on what kind of "feel" is important to you. I would stay away from Flower Mound, Coppell, and Lewisville. Too rapid growth for the infrastructure to support and, for me, the road construction and traffic would simply be too horrendous to deal with on a daily basis. I'd also ask your in-laws what they think.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #8988083

Well, they've only lived there a few months and ... DH is afraid to mention the whole debacle to his son(s). He thinks they all moved away from Boston to get away from him (in truth it was probably to get away from their mother, or from the tension surrounding the breakup). He thinks the one son who lives in ATL is going to be jealous of the son who lives in Dallas. Yadda yadda yadda. I want to tell the D/FW folks so we can have a TX address to send Medicaid application to so at least we can look it over and see what's on there. (They won't send it to me here.)

I've heard a lot about property taxes but we would be renting (and rent our house here, or let our grown kids live in it). We've done a lot of accessibilizing and gardening that a new owner would just rip out and W/C houses in Boston are few and far between. We're hoping that won't be the case with D/FW. The closer we are to the airport, the fewer hours DH has to spend commuting! Aren't there ADA housing laws?
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 30, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #8988127

Yes, Carrie, was wondering about the timing too. I would definitely talk to the doctors in advance. They might have some referrals. There are surely conventions and literature passing between doctors who focus on MS. A nationwide medical community surely exist. It does for most such conditions.
It took me a while to wrap my mind around the the sheer physical sprawl of Texas cities. They have lots of available real estate and aren't shy about using it. The cities in PA all seem compact and highly organized in comparison. When talking to Kay about a "nearby" destination, I've learned to ask if she means "Texas nearby'' or what the rest of the world considers "nearby." lol.
Coffee is a fun houseplant. The flowers are fragrant and you can actually get a usable amount of beans from one. Enough to brew your own homegrown pot of coffee anyway. I think I heard an article about them in a recent horticulture magazine. (Kay listens to her magazines open air sometimes and HortMag is available as a download.) You can even find Kona coffee plants. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #8988180

Can I refer this slightly frantic reader to you, Jim? Dying to grow own coffee, if not coffee then tea, can't get anything to germinate, heck, I don't do growing, I just do research. Unless she wants to move to Sri Lanka or Kenya, I don't know what to tell her (or maybe him, but hes don't usually get this frantic).

Yes, I was surprised to hear (see/read) Debra talking about traffic jams and bad drivers; I thought we had a patent on those in Boston. The main trick is to be close to the airport. One guy Ray works with is maybe 1/2 hour further than we are and we are 30-45 min. His boss is I forget where but practically in NH or RI or something like that. DH is the closest, hence he's the one who gets to go in if there's an emergency. In D/FW, he would be IT. He would be the top dog but there wouldn't be very many other dogs so the closer the better.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

January 30, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #8988290

Do you know if the actual location where he will be working is at the airport itself, or will it be somewhere else? I mentioned those three cities on the assumption that the office will be at or very near the airport. They are reasonably close and, in general, traffic from west to east is a little less strenuous than from east to west. He does NOT want to have to drive LBJ/635 during rush hour. :/

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #8988345

It would be AT the airport itself, most absolutely!

Thanks, Debra!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

January 30, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #8988888

I think Papa Jim was spoiled. Philadelphia has to be the most organized city I've ever seen. Driving in the Waterbury/Meriden (CT) area felt like driving in a demolition derby, but I tune into the "Drive At Five" radio programs even driving in Dothan during rush hour.
Sure, Carrie, you can point your frantic reader this way. You've got a lot on your plate right now. Camellia sinensis seeds are wicked to germinate. I think you have to dance at midnight when the moon is new and sacrifice a white goat with no blemishes or something. ;-). MK would know the particulars.
MK and I started re-working the Amargia blog articles for real today. If any of you have time, check out the first one and give me your opinion. I plan to put it on the Amargia blog tomorrow. Brutal honesty is encouraged. We are using the kudzu1 account for Amargia stuff.
http://davesgarden.com/community/blogs/t/kudzu1/16331/
MK contributed so much I have to mark it as a Faye Amarante creation, the pseudonym of MK and I working together. I think that is the way to go for us. Neither of us are all that good on our own, but I think we do okay working as a unit. I couldn't see a way to put more than one picture on a blog entry, but you can see the idea. ~N~

Fixed link error ~N~

This message was edited Jan 31, 2012 9:17 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #8989680

Nadine, you should finish your lettuce article! It ONLY has to be 500 words and 3 pictures. You can do it--you should see the competition (not).

That link doesn't work.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2012 5:13 PM
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

January 31, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #8989999

Here it is on the open blog. http://amargiaexperiment.blogspot.com/2012/01/seductive-salads.html
I think they decided what was one article should be two. I liked it. There was enough fun that I had no trouble swallowing the data. I vaguely recall one of the DG writers (Can't recall which one.) writing an article about carrots and how orange ones came to be standard. "Faye" mentions that carrots come in different colors. I think we should put a link to an article like that on this lettuce post. Finding and making good links and other techie stuff is going to be my contribution for a while. Don't think I can get my Tramadol rambolins' into anything coherent anymore. You must have a much more disciplined mind that I do, Carrie.
Created a desk so the ladies can work side by side today using three wooden stools and wood I had around. Haven't done the finish work on it yet and they are already using it. so I guess I did okay. (Jim)
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #8991048

"If you want to be incrementally better: Be competitive. If you want to be exponentially better: Be cooperative" (Source unknown)
I love Jim's desk creation. He did it in such a way we can reclaim the stools for their original purpose when we have time to build a desk like we want. Yet, the desk is solid. Jim is extremely clever when it comes to things of this nature. The stools are remnants of Jim's denial period before he accepted that a w/c was in his future. All our furniture was stork-y looking for awhile because it is easier and less painful to get up from a high seat when you have a back problem. . I understood his somewhat misguided effort, however. I've reached an age when I despise those otherwise comfortable, low-slung couches my children favor.
Warm and rainy. Nighttime lows only in the 50's. Putting all my houseplants outside to enjoy the weather. This winter has felt little different from living in central FL. I'm enjoying it now, but, without some cold to knock down insect populations, it will be a buggy summer.
Do you have your DL pictures stored away, Debra? I would like to do a funny DL blog post when it gets a little warmer. Maybe, we could borrow some? Credits to the photographer, of course.
You will keep writing garden articles if you move into an apartment, won't you, Carrie? I've come across several good landless garden writers.
Amargia continues her slow move from community garden to a for profit operation. Although, we will keep the w.c garden open for anyone interested in doing some serious gardening. They just have to be people who aren't bothered by the bees and willing to sign off on that fact. There are so many good public gardens locally with excellent locations encouraging them to be more accessible and funding that effort seems like a better use of our energy. .
Tea tree seeds have to be scarified and soaked for 24-hours. Your seed source has to be a good one because if Camellia sinensis seeds are ever allowed to completely dry out they aren't very viable. Since it is about 4 years from seed to first harvest, you are much better off buying nursery plants. Dancing by the dark of the moon does sound like more fun than sanding seeds.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 1, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #8991103

I have them safe, Kay. You are welcome to all you would like, just let me know when ready. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #8992324

It was I who said that carrots, which originally were a variety of colors, were bred to be orange to honor the House of Orange in Holland. It was the Queen Anne's Lace article.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1459/
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 2, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #8992370

Blue Anemones

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #8992395

Wow!

So whoever "Faye" is should submit the lettuce article to DG!
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #8992763

Nadi is the ultimate proofreader so she has final responsibility for what Faye says. I think that makes her Fayeís official voice. Iím a stuffy writer in every sense of the word. I have a bad habit of trying to cram too much info in at once and my style of writing is outdated. Iím basically an information geek. I forget sometimes that others donít find unusual tidbits of data as fascinating as I do. Iím just the river bed, Nadi is the river. For now, I control and direct the creative flow. Eventually, Nadi will do that for herself.
Nadi and her friends are having way too much fun with Faye. Remember the Steven King/Richard Bachman craziness? When they are through with her, Faye will probably have been one of Sasquatchís ex-wives. ROFL.
No ground hog needed. Spring does appear to be here. The large peach tree I moved is in bloom. The re-location to the w/c garden doesnít seem to have fazed it. There are leaf buds on the figs and pomegranates. The Belles of Ireland are in full bloom. I found hyacinth in bloom that quite honestly I forgot we had planted. Also, I have what appears to be Utah Strain onions coming up everywhere in what are supposed to be flower beds this year. No t sure how that happened either. I would have sworn I planted those in 2010 and concluded the seed package hadnít been viable. I think Mother Nature just likes sticking her tongue out at gardeners sometimes. ďNa-Na-Na-Na-Na!Ē
Iím wondering if this jumpstart on spring is a fluke or the new norm. I haven't been good about keeping bloom time records in past years, but I would swear these plants did not bloom so early in previous years. Amargia has a cooler microclimate. We usually run about two weeks behind our neighbors in bloom time. I will be interested to see what is going on at the botanical garden.

Thumbnail by Amargia

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 3, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #8993987

Love anemones. Ours havenít come up yet. Hope something didnít get them. Did you ever notice how certain colors seem to dominate certain seasons? A gardener has to do a lot of planning and work to alter that. This is the bright yellow, clear blue, white and pink season. I donít fight that. I like natureís changing color schemes.
In my search for the best books on container gardening, Iíve been reading The Ultimate Container Gardener by Stephanie Donaldson. I was a little confused by it until I realized I was reading a British author. They obviously used different common plant names on the other side of the pond. No problems there as long as botanical names are used. I know common names vary widely even within this country. (MK and PJ have an ongoing argument about which plant is the ďrealĒ spider lily.) Then, I began to wonder about something. Are the same botanical names used worldwide? Is that what the Synonym part of PlantFiles is about? Iíve always assumed the names in ďSynonymsĒ were the plantís older names. With new genetic knowledge, I know plants are being reclassified and renamed at a rate even professional nursery staffs have a hard time keeping up with. Time to dig up the real facts. Maybe, a visit to the ďAsk a GardenerĒ forum is in order. :-)
Carrie, Iíll submit the next ďFayeĒ creation for DGís consideration before doing anything else with it, if the offer is still open. This one is already on DG in blog form anyway. We pulled all the articles off Different Shades of Green to be re-worked by Faye. She was created for the fantasy/science fiction market, but I guess a writer needs to diversify. (BTW, there is no truth to the rumors abut Faye and Squatch. Faye has very discriminating taste. ROFL.). Googleís new blogspot is easier for MK to work with so we are moving from Google to Google. lol. We will put something like, ďFor the story on how carrots came to be orange, seeÖĒ (Link to your article) Kay likes to use address hyperlinks because it makes things easier for blind computer users. Screen reading programs donít tell you a word is hyperlinked. There is a method to our madnessÖmost of the time anyway. :-) ~N~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #8994296

Is that true, screen-reading programs don't read hyperlinks? I just hate footnotes and well, I like the way Wikipedia does it where you can click on a footnote in the body of the article and that reference will be highlighted. And I get confused, I seriously do not have the attention span to remember why I was interested in reference (2) above--my eyes won't remember all the way down to the bottom where it says 2. www.whatever.com. But I could say according to Fred Smith, director of www.whatever.com, and make www.whatever.com be the hyperlink instead of whatever's plants, inc., which is the way I do it now! Geez, why didn't you tell me?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 4, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #8994426

Lovely photo, Nadine.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 4, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #8994732

Debra, the bell shaped flowers are one of those Iíve yet to ID. They were given to Amargia as Bells of Ireland, but they donít match any of the BoI pictures Iíve seen. They look more like lily-of-the-valley with green markings and they are perennial like LotV. What little scent they have isnít particularly pleasant, however. Definitely not a lily-of-the-valley fragrance. Whatever they are, they are pretty, reliable, early-season bloomers.
Thanks, Carrie. Putting the links in the body of the article does make more sense. The info should be available right when a readerís curiosity is peaked. I hate footnotes myself. A lot of those who read Amargiaís blog are going to be on pain medication. That usually means some difficulty focusing.
I just called Vickie. She says sheís doing wonderfully. Just caught up in the chaos of the remodeling. It might be to the point her SIL can re-hook her computer tomorrow. She says sheís going through serious computer withdrawal symptoms. Also, asked me to ďHiĒ to all. Anyone seen Kb around?
We took the old vinyl flooring out of the kitchen this morning. My w/c and back objected to the bump caused by the flooring change between kitchen and office. We were able to remove it as a single piece. I plan to lay it over an area of newly cut to the ground seacane. Letís see the wild cane punch through that!!! It punches right through landscape fabric so Iím trying old tarps and the vinyl this growing season. It wonít look that good, but it wonít look terrible either once I get it covered with mulch. We are growing bushel gourds on the sunny bank where the seacane has been a problem. Gourd vines will quickly cover the mulched surface of the tarps and vinyl so it wonít look like Kayís been burying the bodies there. lol. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 4, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #8994946

Jim, think those are Galanthus (Snowdrops)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #8995390

Maybe I should say "Fred, of Fred's Arts and Crafts (www.fredsartsandcrafts.com), suggests..." and then I can use my (harrumph) natural, friendly style, not break up the text with footnotes, but the blind readers will still "see" the option of going to the web address. Those (not just mine) articles are chock full of links. Usually if we mention a plant, the name links back to the PlantFiles entry about it, and mine, at least, will often link to other DG articles without saying "read Sally G. Miller's informative article here." I guess I'm wondering about the links inside DG--how does the screen-reading program do with the inside-DG links?
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #8996016

I wouldnít change your writing style, Carrie. You are well within accessibility guidelines. Iím sorry; we should have been more specific. It should have read, ALL screen-reading programs donít tell you when a word is hyperlinked. I believe the most recent version of JAWS lets you know it is a hyperlink with a pause. Iíve even heard users of the newest edition of JAWS talk about skipping from link to link as a way of scanning a page. Iím not sure about Window Eyes, but since it is more expensive than JAWS ,I bet it has a similar feature. ZoomText doesnít tell you in any way. "this is a hyperlink.". But, ZoomText is a screen-reading AND screen magnification program combined so you donít get all the bells and whistles on the screen reading part of the program. I use the form I do on Amargiaís blog because I know the Amargia blog has readers who are struggling along with ZoomText or free reading programs when a dedicated screen reader program might work better for them. ZoomText cost about $400 or $500 less than JAWS. It is easier for older people with less computer experience to use. And, of course, it allows you to use any residual vision you might have to the absolute max. Iím considering stepping up to JAWS or Window Eyes. I continue to use ZoomText because it allows me to see formatting. I may not actually be able to read the text at 2X or 3X and I canít really see photos as anything more than blurs of color. But,with ZoomText and a little imagination, I can still check the overall page layout. Humans are visual creatures by nature. If you remember being able to see and if you were a highly visual person then, you remain highly visual as a blind person. You donít stop caring about such things. Vision just becomes more and more of an internal process as your eyesight fades. It is still important to me that something I write looks good on the page. The rest of the world isnít losing its sight just because Iím losing mine. lol. Perhaps, when Nadi has mastered page layout and I can fully trust her judgment, I will go to JAWS. I know it would be a major adjustment for me to work without any visual input though. As far as I know, I01 and I are the only DG customers with screen reading programs. Hyperlinks arenít a problem for me because I can set the magnification part of my program on high contrast. I can still see the piercing blue color hyperlinks show up as. (Jim and Nadi say the high contrast is so bright it hurts their eyes.) I believe I01 has less residual than I do so she might know more about what dedicated screen reading systems can and canít do. Hopefully, she will drop back in at tomato growing time.
Thanks, Debra. One more plant ID done! Jim finally got the ID. I thought it was a snow drop too. But, Jim said the photo didnít match. He re-examined the possibility when you also said snowdrops. He said, "Well, why didn't you tell me there were different kinds of snowdrops." ROFL. He thinks it is Leucojum aestivum. What a mouthful! I think they will go by the common name "dewdrops" around here. Maybe, in zone 4 they are "SUMMER snowflakes." They were only a couple weeks early this year. k*

This message was edited Feb 5, 2012 9:38 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 5, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #8996091

Thanks for the clarification, Kay, I had the Writers team up in arms! They'll be happy. But just because you and IO1 are the only people you know of doesn't mean we should assume they're the only people out there!! That's discrimination!!!

Nadine, the first article ("Snags" I think) was published by a self-recruited writer today, Sunday. That button isn't going to be there forever...

This message was edited Feb 5, 2012 10:22 PM
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
11:12 PM

Post #8996224

I was putting myself in the role of ďaverage blind computer user. (And, unfairly, IO1. I really donít know if she is an ďaverageĒ computer user or not. She may be quite extraordinary for all I know.) The goal of most websites is to make themselves accessible to the average blind computer user. DG is doing fine, as far as I know. How many garden sites can say their plant profiles include the work of a blind photographer? ROFL. One of my photos is in PlantFiles.
If a blind user came to you and said, ďLook, Iím using a free screen reading program I downloaded and I canít access the hyperlinks. Would you change your writing style so I know where the hyperlinks are?Ē And, your response was ďNo.Ē without any rational reason, That would be discrimination.
The Amargia blog is different. I would recognize most of the people who read my stuff on the street. I probably even know their dogís name. I write for the audience I know I have. I adapt things so it is easy for them because they have asked me to. To me, it is not discrimination until I refuse their request.

At the moment, Iím having trouble with a cooking site because, I suspect, they think they are helping people. Even when I turn off my ZoomText their typeface is huge. The larger you make typeface the less you can see on the screen. It makes navigation harder. All it does for me is gives me a large blurry image I canít see, instead of a small blurry image I canít see. High contrast, not size, is the key for someone with my type of vision loss. I canít use the color contrast I find easiest unless I take the time to reset my default settings. Unless I do that, Iím stuck with what they assume I need. I now frequent a different. Less helpful cooking site and I wonít renew my membership to the helpful site. Being too accommodating can backfire. It isnít like a mobility accessible issue. Ramps and elevators are good for everybody. (Even the able-bodied, just ask anyone who is moving furniture.) When dealing with blindness issues, my advice is, ďUnless someone complains that it donít work, donít t try to fix it.Ē Some httpís are incredibly long and look and sound plain ugly on the page. Even on ďDifferent Shades of GreenĒ we hyperlinked those to some obvious word. That blind computer users have trouble with hyperlinks is something to keep in mind, but I wouldnít do anything drastic about it unless DG gets a member who has a real problem. Itís a tech problem and tech will eventually take care of it. Just donít get me started on captcha codes. Those are the bane of ALL blind computer users. GR-R-R!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #8996546

Thanks, Kay. I tried putting in the http blah blah code where I would ordinarily just put in a link and it looks FUGLY! (A bad word I learned from my daughters, I'm ashamed to say. It's worse than ugly.) Now I can change it back to a nice, neat link. Sallyg (Sally G. Miller) suggested that my VI friend may be able to get a text reader from the Library of Congress.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #8996889

http://davesgarden.com/contest/daves-garden-writeoff

Nadine, or Faye, or whoever you are, this is your next chance!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 9, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9001194

Mama Kay really put her foot down and wouldnít let me work on the porch roof today which is what I had planned. We put a white sealant on the tin every year to keep the porch cooler and prevent leaks. Itís like painting with a super thick latex paint. I still think I could have done it, but MK said my BP was too low.
P.J. has gotten into the habit of taking everyoneís BP every day. Mine was 85/65. MK said that was way too low to be working in high places. It can make you dizzy and your mind sluggish. She gave me some concoctions she used before they put her on medication that increase thyroid function and it was normal by this evening. It has never been so low at the doctorís office. Iíve started keeping a record of what I do and how my BP response. Maybe, the doctor can use my record as a diagnostic tool and I will finally get a real diagnosis. MK has me slated to go without my high potency energy drink tomorrow to see the effect that has on my BP. I know it is necessary to get a clear picture of whatís going on. The stimulants in the drink could be masking symptoms. Iím REALLY not looking forward to this experiment. I know that Iíll feel like a zombie without my ďMonster.Ē ;-) Thatís why I drink them.
MK is grumbling about ďcrazy T.A.P.s and her knees hurting, but we agreed if she was going to start putting the sealant on the roof, she mustnít stand up. If she worked on her hands and knees there was little chance of her falling. If the seat of her coveralls is any indication, she quickly gave up the hands and knees agreement and developed her own method of moving around without standing up. Lol.
Luckily, we havenít planted much outside even though it looked and felt like spring. Temps are predicted to dive down into the 20ís over the next few days. PJ potted the tomatoes up to larger containers and there are violas popping up in the seed trays inside. ~N~
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 10, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9001867

Nadine, I know it will be unpleasant and low BP is no more to be messed around with than is high BP. If you get symptom data and can correlate it with activities or other external influences, I think you are right that it can help come up with a diagnosis.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9002041

I have low blood pressure, Nadine. It runs in my family for one thing, and it goes with MS also. Where I don't stand much (lol) I don't faint anymore, but I used to.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9002043

Hypo- and hypertension have many of the same symptoms. Hypotension doesnít pose the immediate dangers hypertension does though, if you stay off roves and ladders, that is. . It usually indicates either a hormone problem or a common heart condition called a mitral valve prolapse. Hopefully, the record will give the doctor a better idea of which direction to look. My bet is hypothyroidism because she responded so well to treatment with sodium. . When the treatment I used to combat the dizziness she had yesterday is out of her system, they should be able to validate or eliminate that idea with a simple blood test. Hypotension is much easier to treat than hypertension, if you can find the cause.
Jimís new back doctor thinks that if they treat his arthritis more aggressively they can eliminate much of the pain and he want require so much pain killer. He thinks the arthritis is causing more pain than the back injury. The only bad news Jim got is that the same doctor will be doing the discography who blundered the procedure before. He is understandably nervous about that. His new back doctor says they can give him medication before the discography that will decrease the likelihood of complications so Jim is willing to go through it again, but a new MRI comes first. Jim isnít the least bit claustrophobic. MRIs donít trouble him. Heís looking at the idea of going back to work as a tech assistant if he can decrease the meds enough they donít fog his brain. You know, one of those people who talk you through computer problems or how to program your new phone.
Hopefully, the cold snap will pass through quickly and not do much damage. How long the cold stays seems to be more of a factor than how cold it gets. Most locals view Valentineís Day as the start of our growing season and do little before that date. Traditionally, V-day is potato planting day. Think we will try the potatoes in a garbage can method IO1 mentioned here once. Potatoes in cans, tomatoes in strawbales, peppers in e-buckets and every other annual vegetable in tabletop planters. . It is going to be a highly experimental year in the vegetable garden.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 10, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9002168

Sounds fun. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9003239

Is there a Jim anymore, now that Kay turned into Armagia? (mourning the loss of kudzu--well, not kudzu, but kudzuone the poster, deeply)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 11, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9003393

lol. I'm still around. I've just been flying under the radar. All that has changed on forums is "kudzu1" is now "amargia." On forums the user name, amargia,will always be Kay. Nadine and I kept our own user names. We discovered a long time ago that keeping 3 separate and mostly redundant tradelist and journal records was a waste of time and energy. We started transferring it all to Kay's "kudzu1" account. I guess because we saw it as Kay's account and, thus, Kay's private space, Kay ended up doing all the data entry. It's her ploy to get Nadine and I to help keep up the records. Nadine and I just enter data into the journal and help keep the tradelist up to date. Because it is "amargia" now, it doesn't seem so much like Kay's private space. We decided that was less expensive and less confusing than adding a fourth account. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 12, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9003945

I liked kudzu1 for Kay, because they both start with "K" and because even I, up here in the frozen north, know about kudzu! Seacane and Sansai are new to me as pesky plants. I'm going to try loading up to 5 images. OK, some fairly random ones came up! My HD is a mess.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2012 11:46 AM

Thumbnail by carrielamont   Thumbnail by carrielamont   Thumbnail by carrielamont
Click an image for an enlarged view.

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 13, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9005857

beautiful pics! I'll go ahead and wish you a happy valentines day. I bought 2 minature red roses at Wally World.More so to assure myself that spring is on the way than anything else.
I had thought kudzu was a worthless weed till Kay got me to look it up. All these 2012 planners should be planting it. Just think how important it would be. You could eat it,animals could eat it,make woven baskets and it makes a perfect defence barrier.(Watched a program on surviving 2012 last night.) Nope not intrested in tryng to survive.I've got ANGELS!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 14, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9006256

Ooooh, mini-roses, what a nice idea! Thanks for the brain-wave, Vickie!

And HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY!!!!!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2012 10:43 AM
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 17, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9010113

Yeah, angels are all you need. I agree. Oh-h-h, miniature roses. There are even some fragrant varieties. Keep us up on your mini rose growing experience, Vickie. I loved playing among the pots of mini roses my uncle grew on his patio when I was little, but Iíve never tried to grow them myself.
We are prepping sites for some new additions today. A couple of weeping willows, two persimmon trees and honeyberry. I have my doubts that we can successfully grow honeyberry. (I associate honeyberries with the colder parts of Russia and have a hard time imagining them in our summer heat.) Some new cultivars have recently come out, however, that are a little more heat tolerant than the straight species. Jim really likes the taste of honeyberries so he is determined to, at least, attempt growing them. (Some of us may have descended from apes, but Iíve long suspected Jim evolved from a bear as much as he loves berries.)
Red creeping thyme will be a new one for us this year, as well. The fairies must have shown up in droves to check out the thyme sampler you sent, Debra, because thymes have done so well ever since we are adding more. I swear I couldnít get them to grow before. Maybe, there were fairies hidden in the box. lol. k*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 17, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9010451

Shhh, that wasa secret. :-)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 18, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9011377

Kay, Jim, Nadine--you guys stay safe!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9011843

Fairies? You sent them FAIRIES? Or am I being too loud?
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 19, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9012077

I may have, might be, kinda sorta "invited" some fairies to see if they might like living at Amargia. Seems they accepted... :-}

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 19, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9012273

I'd live there or somewhere similar if I could. My first cousins, with whom I spent every summer growing up, built a co-housing community from scratch and for $20,000 I could have moved there--lots of neighborly help and built-in friends and lovely community--but they didn't build a single house with a ramp; they're all two story. Outside of Washington dc but I SO would have relocated...it's like they didn't want me, or that's how it felt.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 19, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9012634

When are people going to realize ramps are a good thing for everyone.
We are waterlogged, but otherwise okay. Electricity was if-y for awhile, but I havenít heard that any people were hurt. A little scared to check and see what erosion damage we suffered. Decided not to spoil my Sunday by looking. Dealing with stuff like that is what Monday mornings are made for.
Kayís book reading equipment has battery back-up so we have had something other than the storms to occupy our minds. I couldnít download, however, so we were limited to reading what she had on hand. I would never have imagined I would be so bored I would read a book on the history of the pencil, but I didÖand actually liked it! I never knew Hennery David Thoreau funded his writing addiction by working in his families pencil making business. When I thought of Thoreau at all, I thought of him as having his head in the clouds. Henry David Thoreau, the practical engineer, was a view of him I had never had. I must admit though I have never actually read ThoreauĎs books. I just had a basic idea of who he was and had read a few quotes from his work.
I also discovered our humble red cedars (juniperus virginiana) have uses other than as a traditional southern Christmas tree. According to the book, more than one local farmer switched to the then-new barbed wire fencing when suppliers of raw materials for the pencil industry wanted their red cedar fence post. It is still considered the absolutely best wood for quality pencils and was over-harvested to the point it became rare in many parts of the south. The research and development departments of pencil manufacturers scrambled to find replacement woods, but red cedar is still consider the most superior wood for pencils. Donít know why, but it gives you a deeper appreciation of the common things around you when you know their stories.
Nor do I know where Kay digs up these obscure books or why she reads some of them. I mean, really, PENCILS? She hasnít been able to see well enough to use a pencil in years. Some of them arenít as dry and dusty as their titles would lead you to believe. I enjoy learning when it isnít a frustrating boring process. Mild dyslexia spoiled my early learning experiences. Iím beginning to understand what motivates the life-long students and autodidacts Iíve met. Who knows, when there is another power outage, I may even read that world history of money book she has. lol. Iím doing my taxes. It might be interesting to know how it all came to be such a mess. (Jim)
A manís interest in a single bluebird is worth more than a complete, but dry, list orf all the fauna and flora in a town. (Henry David Thoreau)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 20, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9012979

I've often wondered (seriously I have) how Thoreau could afford to be Thoreau. I mean it's all very well to live in the woods and be a Transcendentalist and be kind of mystic about how much it costs to build your shack, but SOMEBODY had to give him some money somewhere! We're big into Thoreau back here--Walden Pond is not far--but nobody ever talks about the pencil factory. I should write an article about Walden Pond, no?
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

February 21, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9015016

I think that is a good article idea, Carrie. Writing about Walden would mean you get to write about both Thoreau and Emerson. It was actually Emersonís property, wasnít it? Few places were as well described. It would be interesting to have a double vision on the place. What it looks like today compared to what it looked like in the 1850ís . I knew about the Thoreau & Son pencil Co., but I didnít know before reading ďPencilĒ that he developed a new graphite compound or that he had his own land survey business. Measuring everything was evidently a quirk of his
If I ever decided to take everything Iíve learned at Amargia and create a disabled writer/artist community from scratch, the first thing I would do is have it surveyed for itís topographical levelness. We seem to spend an inordinate amount of time making and keeping things level. . Then, I would visit the property again after a heavy rain. Starting out with a level piece of property would have made things so much easier. But, Amargia started out as a land reclamation project and we are still working at that.
The erosion was BAD. Iíve heard this area called part of the coastal plains, but the coastal sandhills is more accurate. Iíve been teasing MK about creating ďthe Amargia PlateauĒ with all her earthmoving. PJ has expressed the theory that there is some genetic imperative that drives those descended from the mound building tribes to move dirt from one place to another. He and I are both 200% behind the retaining wall building project now. You can clearly see how much bigger the problem would have been without the walls by the amount of soil that built up behind them in the course of the storm. Melinda tells me I am a highly visual learner. I guess she is right. I would never have believed that rain could have moved so much soil so quickly short of a landslide. until I saw it. But, I still want to come up with ways to make this practical necessity more visually appealing. Now that I fully understand how necessary terracing of some sort is.
It was the roadway that was hit worst. I wonder if MK has a book on the history of road building. :-) Honestly, I liked the pencil book too. It was a book on engineering as told through the development of the pencil. I think it was very smart of the author to use pencils, instead of the default subject for engineering, bridges. Anyone can grasp pencils, literally and figuratively.
The wood anemones are bloomingÖin PJís deck farm. Ah-ha, thatís where they disappeared to. :-) ~N~

Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 22, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9016139

Yes, I think when I'm done with these stupid olives I may do Walden. For something with local religious and historic significance I really should know more about it--Nadine knows more than I do! But then, olives have religious and historic significance too. It's just...after I work on an article for a while, the metaphoric paper starts to get smeared and grey, even though no paper touches my fingers, ever.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 22, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9016225

Glads from Amargia. (photo taken yesterday) It certainly has been a warm winter... :-)

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

February 22, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9016680

Getting Jim set up for surgery is frustrating. The doctor who will be doing the discography will do the procedure next Monday if VA will sign off on the fact that Jimís blood pressure is under control. The VA doctor says she canít sign off on it until she can examine him. Okay, that sounded reasonable. Then, she said she canít work him into her schedule until AUGUST!! Iíll see tomorrow if his civilian doctor is willing to sign a paper saying his blood pressure is under control. The doctor who will be doing the discography is very cautious after things went so terribly awry last time. When I was little, we played a game called Hot Potato. The object was to get the ball (hot potato) into another players hands as fast as possible. Who would have guessed doctors still played that game. ;-)
That sounds like it would be an interesting article to write, Carrie. How far are you from Concord?
How are you recovering from the fall, Vickie?
Since it is obviously warming up there, Debra, Iíll put your tea olive in the mail first of next month. K*
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 23, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9017496

Thank you, Kay. :-)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

February 25, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9019171

Think maybe I'm back again. Have a beautiful house but I did get sick. Don't know what was wrong.Weak,some stomach upset,hard time breathing.OK again now.Have GOT to make an appointment at UAMC.
I love my angels.I keep them close at all times. They make great "Worry Stones" too." Since I did'nt feel like doing anything.I just sat and crocheted and watched TV.I was so depressed.What is so bad...I have no reason to be depressed.Anyway am on the mend. Have missed you.
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 25, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9019374

Vickie, even if it is a good one like the renovation, any big change can bring on depression. Glad you are mending and happy you are back. :-)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

February 26, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9020658

Raining again, but it is a gentle rain. Parrot tulips are blooming.
The discography on my back is postponed until August. VA controls my blood pressure medication and they wonít sign off on the surgery until they have monitored me for awhile. I think they are being overly cautious. But, the med they gave me after the botched discography that dramatically reduces most peopleís BP didnít have much effect on me. It bothers them they have no effective means of bringing it down if it happens again. I think it is mostly just a matter of putting the ball firmly in my court by saying it was caused entirely by my BP problem and had nothing to do with their clipping a horsetail nerve. The pain from that is so bad it would skyrocket anyoneís BP. Doctors live in fear of lawsuits these days I suppose and shielding themselves is a high priority.
Nadine is taking a course for her medical transcription certification and got a call back on an application she put in a long time ago so she has been focused on that. Kayís been doing her mound building ancestors proud by the amount of earth sheís been moving to correct the erosion damage and prevent future problems. Even started on an earthen ramp to the barn entrance. Wish we could trade some of our sandy loam for some of your rocks, Vickie, to keep our shifting sands in place. As it is, we use whatever we can get our hands on to build retaining walls and Kay just faces the different materials with rustic concrete to create a consistent look. .
Seeded Lavender for the sunny portion of the embankment. I hope that works. I like that idea a lot. We are trying several varieties to see which works. Kay says her money is on the Spanish lavender, but it w as English lavender (Lavandula vera? Lavandula angustifolia?) we seeded. If Nadine doesnít get around soon to asking that question about botanical name synonyms on the ďAsk a GardenerĒ forum, I will. The seed package said Lavandula vera, but Google took us to Lavandula angustifolia and Plantfiles listed l. vera as a synonym. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 26, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9020965

Oh, boooh, Jim, that's a long wait! And I dunno about A-a-G; that's just people no smarter than I with their thinking caps on. Maybe Melody or hmmmmmm maybe Melody knows, but I don't. It's kinda like if a dog will answer to it then that's its name; if a plant will grow for you call it what you will.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 26, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9021239

Sorry, Jim.

Happy about Nadine.

Wish I could send you some rocks, Kay. Lots of demo around here from which to reclaim concrete chunks.

Agree with you, Carrie. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9022299

Debra, I have had MS for more than half of my life now. :(
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 27, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9022359

Carrie, I am very sorry. I can only imagine how tough just everyday activities can be for you. My fingers are crossed that a cure is found in our lifetimes. Thinking of volunteering for UT Southwestern's research programs. Have all the contact information, just haven't made the call. I am lazy enough that even driving to their location seems like too much effort :/, but, my sister wants me to go and it might actually be of some benefit to someone somewhere. So what have I got to lose but some time?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

February 27, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9022515

My girls (now that they are both over 18, eek!) are giving DNA swab to a genetic study here. My parents are both still alive but too old for the study parameters. (1st degree relatives ages 18-65.) Is that the best place in Dallas to go? DH had his interview today and didn't feel it went especially well. So we may be settling in here for a few more years. I hope I can keep him alive!
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 28, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9023485

Hi - Just want to let you all know that I'm hanging in (and out) even though I haven't posted much here.

Am in the midst of a rough trip to san diego - car trouble, friend now former friend) trouble, rain on (and in) my leaiy van, money problems. and I'm fine. will have money tomorrow to buy stuff I need so I can then head home. I've lost thirty-five pounds and my doctor thinks I'm wonderful. got the calls made so surgery for my left knee replacement will be scheduled soon and probably done in May.

I managed to stay warm and dry and sleep well while most of my stuff got drenched - a miracle. I've handled everything with the help of a few very good friends. twenty-six years of sobriety helps.

carrie, excellent news on dd dumping the bf - belated congrats.

hugs,katie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

February 28, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9023653

Glad you let us know, Katie. Got some worry 'boutcha. :-)
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 1, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9026617

Good to hear from you, Katiebear. We were beginning to worry about you.
One of MKís great-nieces has decided to specialize in neurological research. She thinks if the blood brain barrier is fully understood, it will help with a big handful of health problems including MS and Depression. She is a little younger than me and only pre-med, but what she says sounds logical. If it were possible to get the chemicals the brain needs passed the blood brain barrier, you would have a truly effective way to treat Depression and if you could prevent a damaging agent from crossing the blood brain barrier you would have an effective way to treat MS.
Everything has started blooming and MK has the seeding bench packed solid with little seedlings. Tomatoes are even in the ground. We figure if there is another cold snap they will still be small enough for cloches. MK was working outside today in shorts and a sleeveless shirt, but I refuse to believe spring is really here until the bridal wreath spirea blooms. That usually isnít until mid-March.
The situation with PJ and the discography is beginning to remind me of a book I read once, ďThe Castle.Ē By Franz Kafka. Or, maybe, ďCatch 22.Ē The doctor who would be doing the discography says VA has to sign a paper saying his BP is stable before they will schedule the procedure. The higher ups at VA now say signing such a statement is against their regulations. His GP says he would be willing to sign such a statement, but he canít because PJ gets his BP meds through VA. For his part, PJ is beginning to wonder if the powers that be are trying to tell him something. MK is going in to see the doctor with PJ next time. PJ is too nice sometimes. Mk has no such problem. :-) ~N~

Thumbnail by seacanepain

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 1, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9026625

Wonderful sign of spring, a tulip.I'm happy with crocus.
Am glad Kay is going with Jim. Sometimes Doctors simply have to be told-"How the cow ate the cabbage."LOL
hugs and prayers Jim.
Rocks! did someone say rocks!LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9027231

KB - I agree completely. There was more abuse than we were aware of. WHY are we women so vulnerable?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 2, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9027259

Except the current incarnation of Kay, of course! Go with Jim and tell 'em where they can stick it!

Reminds me of before DD#1...we had been trying for 3 years to get pregnant, with the help of Dr. X. Clomid, sperm counts, endometrial biopsy, all kinds of pleasant treatments, each more fun than the next. Finally, Dr. X did a laparoscopy, which showed scarring on my fallopian tubes. Dr. X recommended we go to the XYZ IVF clinic, at which...Dr. X was the reigning physician. So Dr. X's office sent the films from the laparoscopy over to the IVF place, where Dr. X reviewed them and said "who took these awful films? I can't see a thing! I need to talk to the presiding physician!" Luckily nobody had to say "But YOU were the presiding physician, you jackass" because that was the cycle I turned up pregnant. Naturally Dr. X took all the credit. This was one case where I stuck up for the EX (to be); the MD couldn't have gotten me pg just with a laparoscopy.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2012
2:45 AM

Post #9029083

Guess we all have horror stories.
I also have a GOOD story. A doctor diagnosed Lymes disease early and pumped me full of antibiotics so i just had mild flu like symptoms and a rash on my behind before the tests came back.
Hang in there Katie. Hugs to ya.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9029733

GREAT story, Vicki. Mine was a good story--it ended up with DD#1, who's a 21 year-old irresponsible whacko, but she's my daughter, and I blame all the bad parts on her father and adore the good parts.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 4, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9029873

Spring is coming for sure, now...

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 4, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #9029941

In March?Wow...nice.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 8, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9034647

Debra, your tea olive should arrive by Saturday.
We are all okay, but incredibly busy. This is the first time Iíve had a chance to play on the computer in days. We need to start doing our writing first thing in the morning. We are all too exhausted by evening. The weather is so gorgeous even PJ is spending hours outside without any prompting. (He always enjoys it once he gets outside, but you have to push sometimes to get him further than the porch.) Every day he drives the lawn mower around with the wagon behind armed with his long handled grabber tool. He picks up pine cones and other small debris the recent storms brought down and drops them in the wagon. It works well. MK and I have been repairing the erosion damage and leveling. We hope to have the Invisible Garden (fragrance garden) completely leveled by the end of the month. I take PJís w/c out for test drives. Iíve learned that even when something looks level, it doesnít always feel quite right when using a w/c, Iíve also learned propelling a manual w/c is not as easy as it looksÖand why PJ always wears gloves when he uses the chair. (Ouch!)
The two new weeping willows are in the ground. (The boys insist on calling them ďwhomping willows. Too much Harry Potter. lol.) The persimmons are in large pots until we are all in agreement as to where they should go. The shamrocks havenít popped up yet for some reason. Hope they make it by St. Pattyís Day.
Photo #1: A hairy woodpecker, I think. It could be a downy woodpecker. They look a lot alike. She has been at that tree for days. Either she has found something woodpeckers consider delicious or she is making a house for herself.
Photo 2: Officially, these are called green anoles, but most people refer to them as lizards. I found FOUR of them sunning on an old molded plastic chair I repainted. At least, THEY liked my color choice. .) We have an unusual number of lizards, anoles and skinks. I suppose because we donít use pesticides.
Photo #3: First Einstein daffodil bloom of the season.

Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 8, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9034658

Here's a zoomed in version of Photo #1: and Photo 2: so you can see them better

Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 8, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9034851

So what can you grow in a container in DFW? I want this garden to be easy. All containers with drip lines. I'll turn on the faucet from the kitchen.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 8, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9035048

Thanks, Nadine. I have just the place for it. Lovely photos. And EYE like the color choice. :-)

Carrie, going to depend on if water restrictions are still in place. If we go to Stage 4 this year, no outside watering would be allowed. That said, you can grow almost anything in a container that is suited to zone 8. Might want to stay with low water requirement plants at first until you were to see how much work there would be in summer. But I have grown or am growing the following in containers: lavender, coleus, zinnia, roses, calendula, daylilies, small hydrangeas and buddleias, geraniums (zonal), lantana, petunia and callibrachoa, tropical hibiscus, and Mexican heather. Grasses will do well, too. Carex Frosted Curls, Mexican Feather Grass, and Purple Fountain Grass are my favorites. The house up the street has rosemary and small trees and such in about 25 containers. Most of those would be easy.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2012 7:14 PM
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 8, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9035296

My GP is now in charge of my BP meds and if all goes according to plan I will have the discography in about two weeks. The med he put me on is doing a better job too. My BP has been on the low side of the normal range the last few days.
Women may be more physically vulnerable than men, but many seem to engage in something like mental gardening. They plant the seed of an idea in a manís mind. Water it a bit. And, because the idea bloomed within the manís own head, he thinks it is HIS idea. The woman just pats the man on the back and tells him how smart he is. Then, women give each other these knowing smiles. Iím on to the way you ladies operate! Donít worry though. Your secret is safe with me. ;-) It is to my advantage to keep my mouth shut.
Kay helped me in the house today and Nadine rearranged in the baby barn to utilize the vertical space better. She is making herself a loft bed so she can add a little cafť table to her personal space. She only comes in for meals, conversation and satellite TV these days so there is an empty room available if you make it down next month, Vickie.
One bridal wreath is blooming with wild yellow jasmine (Gelsimium Sempervirens) threaded through it. I like the look and am wondering if it would work with other flowering vines. Iím not a Spirea fan and would like to talk the others into replacing them eventually. (It would be a BIG job. We have quite a few mature shrubs.) They are incredible for two or three weeks in spring, but ho-hum after that. They have to be pruned every year also. I want to replace them with something equally tough, but with a longer season of interest. Useful would be nice too. Iím considering sand cherries. Have any of you grown those? (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 9, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #9036169

Oh, but Jim, I LOVE bridal whatchacallit--the smell is divine! I planted two shrubs in our front yard spirea and ornamental dwarf almond. Oh, do the knock-out roses count? Those aren't in the front yard though.

OK, IT'S DEFINITE: WE ARE MOVING TO DALLAS. My geography is so poor--is Armagia on the way from Boston to Dallas? Is Vickie-land? Anyone else?

Debra, watering with used water is OK, I mean dishwashing water or toothbrushing water or bathwater or shower water? What do they call that, grey water, brown water? We'll have a rain barrel in case it ever rains. (When we went to visit in the winter it rained every day (for 2 days).)

You'll have to tell me everything as we go along. It's funny...I was just talking to my mother (she and I co-own this house in Milton). I was just talking to her about that she should move into a retirement center or assisted living--their house (the one I grew up in) is ginormous! Huge! Huge yard, basement, attic, etc., on a dead-end street, property taxes sky high, needs painting every year, falling apart, she's 73 and my step-father's 77-78. They're too old for the upkeep. And SHE'S telling ME that we should sell this house in Milton, buy a house in Dallas, then when we move back to Boston (that's the plan) move into an assisted living place! LOL! OUR plan was to let his son live in this house--he goes to school here--and rent out there, and then come back to our perfect house when he retires in 3-4 years.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 10, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9036969

Grey watering permissions depend on the community. Garland doesn't allow it, but some in the DFW area do. Rain barrel is a great idea. We do get a reasonable amount of rain usually. But last year was so extreme that the water supply had become dangerously low. Some smaller cities actually ran out of water. While it is better at the moment, we just don't know yet what the North Texas Municipal Water District will be doing given the recent rains. Still shows us to remain at Stage 3 until June 1.

Amargia could be on the way to Dallas. You'd have to go straight south through Atlanta down to where the corners of Alabama and Georgia meet the Florida Panhandle. Then straight west across to Texas, then back to the north to hit Dallas. Vickie-land is southwest from Massachusetts to northwest Arkansas in the mountains, then straight south to Texas. Don't think both would be easily workable if DH is on a tight time frame. :/ But bet you could visit at least one. :-)
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 10, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #9036993

Wow, Carrie! When do you move? k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9037216

Strangely, we don't know! First, his old boss and his new boss have to negotiate transfer of resources (him). They've already concluded they'll have to hire two full-time managers to fill his spot. (If they had done that in the first place, he might not be so panicky about needing to leave.) Then we have to figure out housing. We want to let my step-son live in this house and rent out there but my mom wants us to sell this house! We're not planning to be out there long enough to buy a house...confused...I don't know. Also if I'm having surgery that would happen soon here in MA not in TX. The guy who's Ray's immediate boss lived in a hotel for MONTHS because he couldn't find a place he wanted to live that he could afford. I think some large part of that was on the company's dime.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9039907

ACK! Help, dying of confusion here! Today was pre-op consult with the surgeon who does the baclofen pumps. He seemed very good, but it was a hospital I had never been to so they didn't know my meds and doses and have any relationship with the system I usually use. He does surgery on Tues and Fri, tomorrow he has some emergency, next Tuesday is another emergency, he doesn't like to do Fri because rehab doesn't happen on Sat and Sun, we could do it March 27! If anything goes wrong it's usually in the first 4-6 weeks. If he does the surgery on March 27 we're supposed to be in a hotel in TX by 4/1 I think...and I'd rather be near the doc who put it in for at least a week or two. So we tried VERY HARD to squeeze me in tomorrow, got all psyched up, told the kids, told my mother, had blood and urine tests, reported all my meds, told my history several different times, blah blah blah.

Then I flunked the EKG. They kept asking me if I was having chest pain. Not unless it's being referred from my legs! I feel totally fine...I'm even wearing a pin to support awareness of women's heart disease, not because I have it. So on the way home from the hospital they called us and said no surgery tomorrow; I need a cardiac workup; they'll be in touch. Oh well. Start over in TX, I guess.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 12, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9040034

Where are you going to be staying at first?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 13, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9040822

Probably D/FW Hilton or Comfort Suites or something along those lines. They pay for X months of hotel accommodation while you find a place to live. We're coming out 3/23-4-5-6 to see what we can find.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 15, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9043602

At least, you can count on hotels/motels to be accessible. k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 15, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9044064

Grrrrrr...sometimes. And they sometimes say no space for a roll-away, no space for three people, we had to use so much extra space to be ADA compliant that we can't let a third person sleep in the room, fire regs.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9044629

Carrie, If the company is paying for the motel,be sure to stay at an upscale motel for better service for you. I'll be thinking about you.
As for the EKG...You need a second opinion anyway.huh?
I think you'll love container gardening.I'll be wishing some of our rain your way tho i think it hits your way before it comes here anyway.(Can't beleive i just said that.)LOL
Have been so busy crocheting,cleaning house,cleaning flower containers etc.I bought some more containers. Am determined to have tomatoes and cukes this year.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 16, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #9044925

Ahhhh OK Yesterday I went to see the (ta da) Cardiologist. All the three EKGs I flunked at the pre-op lab were done with me in my wheelchair. When I got to cardiology they asked me to lie down because, they said, sitting up messes up the EKG so could I please lie down. OMG. Of course, I lay down, the EKG was 100 % normal, the cardiologist came in and listened to my chest and said "did anybody listen to your chest at the pre-op lab?" (no.) "I'm going to ask that they do an in-service over there because this was totally avoidable. Your heart is fine!" I knew my heart was fine. DH was forecasting open heart surgery and mentally composing his resignation letter -- at least from the Dallas job -- but I was so not worried. Open heart surgery? Me? Naaah. I'm fine, except I have MS.

Vickie, I think they get to pick, but I hear you! I just want decent food, not the pour your own waffles that were mixed in 2009.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9046950

Oh Carrie, That is such wonderful news!!!Hurrah!!! DUH...I'd never heard of a sitting EKG either.How in the world did they get all those wires stuck in the right place?LOL
Now you can settle in and injoy Dallas. I know it'll be hard getting everything done,but we're pulling for you. Welcome to the southwest.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 18, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9047176

I'm still in Boston, silly! When the place next to my name changes, that's when my address will have changed.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

March 18, 2012
11:03 AM

Post #9047388

Photo #1: Bridal wreath spirea
Photo #2: Ohio spirderwort with herb fennel. It wasnít supposed to be there. Spiderworts are too aggressive, but I liked the strong color with the delicate fennel foliage.

This message was edited Mar 18, 2012 5:46 PM

Thumbnail by Amargia   Thumbnail by Amargia

Sansai87
Midland City, AL

March 18, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9047839

Duh. I've really been a dizzy blond lately. This is the second time I've posted under the wrong user name recently. I wish they had a multi-user account option available for community gardens and that sort of thing. DG Admin thinks that would be too confusing though. Can't blame the system in all honesty. I just need to develop better time management skills. With work, school and carrying my weight around here I'm not getting enough sleep. Some people seem to function fine on less than 8 hours, but I'm not one of them.
Carrie, glad the coronary workup was a false alarm, but what an unnecessary hassle when you have so much else on your plate.
Vickie, have you ever tried sugar-free oat candy. MK likes oats (I mean really likes oats. I think she was a horse in her last life. Lol.) They are good for your heart and Iíve been trying to find ways to use them more. PJís favorite candy is Reeseís peanut Butter Cups so the candy has gone over well with him too. (The chocolate- peanut butter variety, anyway.) They are easy to make. My only problem is MK hits the ground running in the morning and has developed the habit of grabbing a handful of candy balls instead of eating breakfast. But, I guess they are actually a little better for her than the peanut butter sandwich and coffee she called her breakfast before.
Your wall color sounded so fun, Vickie, Iíve been using a bright, honeyed yellow is one of the main colors in my bee garden. I painted the arch into the garden area that color. It is cheerful and doesnít clash with the muted yellows MK uses elsewhere. It seems appropriate for a bee garden and makes spotting the entrance into my garden easier for the VIís.
Hope you are feeling okay, Debra.
It may not officially be spring yet, but it feels summer hot. We had a couple afternoons where it hit 90, but 80ís are the norm. Figs are leafing out and purple cannas are popping up. Spirea is in full bloom. MK is driving pedal to the metal to get as much done as possible before real heat sets in. PJ replaced an interior door for the second time. He didnít like the accordion style and replaced it with a slider he made. It is a little wider since the hardware on the sides is gone, but I think the real reason he changed it is Fenny learned that she could open the accordion door. He decided to change the door after being pawed and poked awake several nights in a row to let her outside. A man at the hardware store gave him some new painting tools to try out and write a review on. He has also been painingÖwith oil-based paintÖwithout being bribed or threatened. lol. ~N~
(The photos above go with this post.)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 18, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9047953

I am feeling better, Nadine. No more TIAs. Part time work is tough on the budget, but necessary these days. And better part-time hours than NO time. :/ Thank you. :-)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 19, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9049209

Alert! Surgery rescheduled for tomorrow at 6 am - less than 12 hours away! terrifying. I bought a notebook from The Company Store - a looseleaf binder really - that explains how to move. I don't think it will really help but it gives me something to think about.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 20, 2012
12:26 AM

Post #9049694

Hugs and prayers Carrie.
Glad you're better Debra.Hugs to you and everyone else.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 20, 2012
4:46 AM

Post #9049793

Kay has moved to the summer schedule because of the heat. Up by 4 a.m. Out by 5. Come back in about 10. I planned to go outside with her this morning, but discovered the schedule has a major drawback for me as a L.D.P. (light dependent person). It is still pitch dark.
Tater-dog is having a problem with the schedule, as well. She has discovered the existence of bats and is deeply troubled by this discovery. She is very vocal in her dislike of the wicked-looking, flying mice. To keep me in one piece and to keep peace with the neighbors Kay has strongly suggested it might be best for Tate and me to stay inside until dawn. :-)
She is transplanting some southern swamp lilies (Crinum americanum. At least, that is what we believe they are.) Despite their name, they do fine in drier soil. Blooms are gorgeous and fragrant. Kay carried one during our wedding.) Foliage is problematic. Long, lax, strappy leaves in a glossy, light blue-green. They are fine in containers where they can drape. Kay is planting them so the foliage will spill over a low retaining wall.
Prayers and wishes for a fast recovery, Carrie. (Jim)
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 20, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9050881

Me, too, Carrie. Glad you will have it done before moving.

Start a quick Texas orientation. :-D

CIty pronounciation:
Nacogdoches - nack-oh-DOE-chess
Mexia - meh-HAY-ya
Waxahachie - wox-uh-HAH-chee (as in "box" and "hat")
Coppell - caw-PELL
Rowlett - row-LETT (row as in OWIE, got pinched)
Sachse - SACKS-see
Nocona - no-CONE-ah
Ennis - EH-ness
Waco - WAY-coe

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 6:19 PM

This message was edited Mar 21, 2012 6:20 PM
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

March 21, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9051451

Take care, Carrie. Have a safe surgery and a quick pleasant recovery. hugs, katie
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 23, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9054781

Also Carrie you will hear alot
about college football every fall. It is a religion! In ETX you had a choice Texas Longhorns(UTEX or Texas Aggies(TEX A&M)except in Overton TX(WHERE THE Aggie research center is.)
You will have to visit Kilgore Collage(where I went) Home of the Kilgore Rangerettes They perform in the Cotton Bowl every year. They also have an oil museum on campus That is more intresting than it sounds.
Tyler has a good free zoo and rose garden.plus an Azalia trail every spring.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 24, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9055126

Whaddayamean COLLEGE football?!? The king of Friday nights around these here parts is HIGH SCHOOL football! LOL And the Cowboys...and the Mavericks...and the Rangers...and the Stars...um, well, these here parts put a LOT of emphasis on sports.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 27, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9058914

Hmmmm no music? I read (my ever-helpful Mom bought me a book about D/FW) that van Cliburn (a famous pianist) was from Dallas. And baseball? I know the rules for that game, at least. Football looks like a clobberfest from here.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

March 27, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9059749

Yep, there is gonna be a little culture shock. lol. How do you feel about country and western music, Carrie?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9062065

Last time we made the Austin-Dallas trek, we found a classical station that stayed clear most of the way. This time we listened to PBS and classic rock. C&W is something I will have to learn to love...like olives.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 29, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9062470

WRR 101.1 Dallas city-owned classical radio station.

Performance Venues:
Meyerson Symphony Center - THE most amazing acoustics
Bass Hall - Ft. Worth.

The Van Cliburn Competition every two years.
http://www.cliburn.org/index.php?page=cliburn_competition

Dallas Summer Musicals
http://www.dallassummermusicals.org/

Dallas Theatre Center
http://www.dallastheatercenter.org/

Denton University of North Texas Lab Bands performance concert
http://www.dentonlive.com/index.php/component/rsevents/event/178-64th-annual-qlab-band-madnessq-spring-concert?Itemid=101

http://dallas.about.com/od/festivalsparades/tp/May-Festivals-In-The-Dallas-Fort-Worth-Area.htm

Thumbnail by lovemyhouse   Thumbnail by lovemyhouse

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
1:49 AM

Post #9062788

Arkansas has a classical music station too.But i can only get it half the time.
Maybe you will like Spanish music. I do.
Have been busy,busy.Work outside awhile than inside awhile.
Have set out tomatos and onions,creeping phlox,pinks,glads,lillys, begonias,geraniums,planted four oclocks and sweet peas.I'll be able to get more dirt and plants the first.
My hostas are starting to come up also.
Had my first campfire this evening.Twas so nice. Am planning on working in the Salavation Army one afternoon a week, The day i go in for depression group.
Whats everyone doing for Easter?
Vickie
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 30, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9063588

Digging in the dirt, what else? LOL

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

March 31, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9064251

Praising my Lord and my God. Enjoying a Passover seder on Fri night and then celebrating the resurrection on Sun.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

March 31, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9065058

Hi, Sheri!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9065245

Hi Sheri! Happy Easter! Today is both April Fools Day and Palm Sunday. I imagine that happens every so often.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 1, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9065513

We're starting to pack -- this is real. Feb. 27 he had the interview and I wrote that he thought it didn't go well.
lovemyhouse
(Debra) Garland, TX

April 1, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9066154

Applause, applause!!
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

April 1, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #9066158

Mama Kay is making her Easter wreaths. She starts out with thorny potato briar vines for the symbolism and weaves in the long branches of Spirea. Then, adds azalea and whatever else looks good in the garden for color.
This is the first year I can recall when she had roses to work with. I donít remember the orange blossoms, honeysuckles and roses ever reaching full bloom at the same time. I hope this is the start of something new and not just a fluke of the weather. The garden smells incredible!
Photo #1: A tangle of honeysuckle. Japanese and woodbine. They are actually choking out some seacane. Iím cheering for the honeysuckle team. It is my favorite noxious weed. .
Photo #2: Mystery rose. (a.k.a. the graveyard rose) All we know about it is that it was the rootstock rose for a Mr. Lincoln. It is what came up after a Mr. Lincoln was cut to the ground. It has a warm, heavy,spicy fragrance over the sharper rose scent. .
Photo #3: ĎZepharine Drouhiní from Debra. First year it has bloomed. Love the shade of pink. It has a sharper, cleaner scent than the mystery roses . It smells just like rose essential oil.
Photo #4: Owari orange blossom. The Owari Satsuma blooming this year was a surprise since we moved it only a few weeks ago. It apparently likes its new home in the front yard. ďFlying Dragoní Japanese hardy orange are blooming also.
~N~

Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87

Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 2, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9067671

Welcome back, Sheri. We missed you.
Carrie, I donít envy you the packing part of the move, but I think you will enjoy the change beyond that.
Debra, LOVE the new rose. We had a deluge just as it was opening. I was afraid the rain had battered it too much, but it didnít seem to mind.
What are YOU doing for Easter, Cando? Nadi says to remind you about fire roasted peeps. :-) She took us on a foodie adventure. Our over-abundance of canna indica purpurea was on the dinner menu. We all survived it. They tasted a little like mild turnips. She was shooting for a wild southern version of a Boston boiled dinner. My favorite part of a BBD is the parsnips though. It needed a wild southern equivalent of those. .
What is Easter like there, Kb? Are there chocolate rabbits and Easter egg hunts?
Jim is scheduled for surgery on Thursday. It is a simple procedure, but I doubt he will feel like doing very much on Easter. It isnít the back surgery. The doctors found a mass in his chest that has to be removed before anything else. It is almost certainly benign, but I will breathe a little easier when we know for sure.
He should be home by Thursday evening if all goes well and seems to be feeling optimistic. He made sure our outdoor folding chairs were ready for sunrise services Easter morning. I think the Easter sunrise service is his favorite church service of the year. Probably because, weather permitting, it is held outside by the river and all the local churches come together. Ministers from the different denominations take turns officiating. Sermons are simple and brief. Mostly we just sing, visit and take in the sun rise. Even when Iím up at daybreak, I am usually too busy to stop and watch the day dawn. Easter morning is the one day I do take the time to appreciate it. k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 3, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9068478

Oh, dear, many hugs and healing thoughts for Jim! I hate those "masses that are almost certainly benign"!!! I've had those, ugh. It's a good thing Kay is not the panicky type. I had one of those several years ago and I think DH almost died of anxiety waiting for the biopsy. It was an adenoma, fatty tissue, but they sure know how to scare you! I hope everything goes smoothly for you, Jim, on Thursday, and that the people loving you and waiting for results and news are calm, steady, patient and faithful. Oh dear, I sound like a marriage counselor or a guide dog trainer! lol.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

April 5, 2012
11:40 PM

Post #9071505

I am praying for a swift, uncomplicated recovery. I have also put you on my churches prayer list. our website is " AboutTheBridge.com" with Pastor David McGee.. Services are live-streamed on Sundays at both 9 & 11:15 AM EST (New Testament) and Thursday evenings(Hebrew scriptures at 7pm EST). We have really cool praise & worship with 2 electric & 2 acoustic guitars, full drums with congas, keyboard (he has a double stack, incredible bass) and sometimes Pastor David plays keyboards & electric guitar at the same time!. We are on over 400 radio stations nationwide and many more internationally Also many TV stations across the nation.. All past verse by verse teachings including Ladies weekly bible study are catalogued under the 'media' tab.
I would like to invite all of my friends to join me Sunday for an awesome praise and worship and teaching. I pray that some of you will join me Sunday . ;-) You will be blessed.

Hugs & prayers,
Sheri /Birdie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9071787

That's great, Sheri. So DH and I might be driving away from airport XYZ after the flight was delayed and the rental car reservation got all screwed up, fumbling around for a radio station, and might end up listening to Sher's church service? How cool is that!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 6, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9072077

I will have to check that out, Sheri. I could sort of go to church with you. :-)
I appreciate the thoughts and prayers. The pain from the surgery isnít really any worse than the pain the mass itself was causing me and it is much easier to deal with because I know it will ease up and go away soon. I think a mastectomy was the right decision.
In the case of men, they skip the preliminaries and go straight to a complete mastectomy. That isnít as physically hard on men as it is on women. I should recover from it in a week or two. I wonít get the full lab results for a month, but Iím not very worried. Men only account for 1 or 2% of breast cancer cases. The odds are very definitely in my favor. The only reason the doctors are concerned is because I have lost so many close female relatives to breast cancer. Iíve lost a sister and a niece in the last decade and have another niece who is currently fighting the disease tooth and nail. Doctors believe having a high incidence of breast cancer among close female relatives and being over 50 puts me in the higher risk group. The odds are still in my favor though. Iím looking forward to being able to get a hug without flinching.
Do you like the new drug delivery system better than you did the first time around, Carrie?
We had severe thunderstorms yesterday followed by a cold front moving through. But, it doesnít look like it got cold enough for long enough to do any damage. We did unpack the sweaters and jackets we prematurely packed away for the season. :-) (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9072333

Oh (Jim) please keep your sisters aunts nieces and other female relatives safe. Ugh. I hope everything goes well. I hate those 'waiting for lab results' things. Been there, too. Don't you need some of those chest muscles? (Wondering what a complete mastectomy on a man involves...)

Yes, Jim, this pump is definitely working, and I can now say that the old one never really did. I am on probably 1/3 of the drugs of I was before, with plans to discontinue even more of them. Interesting that when there is no more loud screaming pain all the time I can hear the pain of a headache that will, in fact, respond to ibuprofen. Amazing, a headache, you take ibuprofen, and your headache goes away!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 6, 2012
9:12 PM

Post #9072675

Thoughts,hugs (gentle) and prayers Jim.You will be on my mind this week.
Carrie, So glad you got your meds thing straightened out.
Amazingly the cold spell here did'nt get cold enough to freeze.My wild fireplant and dwarf iris are blooming.
My best garden poison ivy is doing more than well(grrrrrr)
Pansys are doing great.
Must be spring!!!!
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 11, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9078401

I just found a patch of PI myself. (Thankfully, not the hard way.) I thought I would try vinegar Ėlaced boiling water before I resort to a commercial herbicide. The neighbor hit the seacane on our side of the road when he applied herbicide to the kudzu on his side. The smell was wicked, but it seems to have done the job. It will be great if it knocks it out completely. Seacane grows about as fast as kudzu and the slope beside the road is so steep, I donít think the ladies would have been able to keep it down with the push mower. Seacane can grow to 20-30í. You have to catch it when it first sprouts to be able to mow it. Seacane, cow itch vine, what I call burn hazel and the locals call sting weed plus poison ivy in the shady portion makes that slope our worst problem area.
Carrie, the doctor didnít have to cut into the muscle much I gather. He said it was sitting atop the muscle. I have some arm exercises I have to do, but thatís it. Since I use a manual w/c when I use one, that was good news. My doctor is on vacation which was why it was going to take so long to get the results back. He cut me some slack though and called me with the results as soon as they arrived at his office, instead of at my next appointment. Benign. Kayís relieved. She says men are hard to train and it would have been a real nuisance to lose me when she finally has me ALMOST trained.
Iíve been planting seeds in containers. Kay fills them for me and takes the containers to the nursery bench after they are seeded. Had to construct a second bench to have a place for them all. We say every year we are going to clear out all the old seeds in the seed bank. We might actually achieve that this year. Probably keep everyone we know supplied in fresh herbs and veggies, but it is a pleasure to see this once-upon-a-time wasteland being so productive. Found a new favorite among the herbs. Sweet marjoram. Love the smell of it. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 11, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9078501

Hip.hip.hurray, for benign growths! I guess no growths at all is better, but benign is way better than some of the other options... Let me know how the vinegar works out.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 12, 2012
10:49 PM

Post #9080485

So very glad about the tumor Jim. I would hate for Kay to have to train someone else too.LOL
Hot vinegar works good on weeds. LMK how it works on PI
I might try it too.
I went to walmarts and Krogers in Russellville last night.Totally injoyed it. bought another potted fern,Butterfly bush,some outdated Oriental lily bulbs(for $1) My Iris is blooming away.
One would think I'd be on top of Depression right now...Wrong. It keeps coming in spells.I will stay on top of it.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

April 14, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9082237

Depression sucks. All I can tell you is that you are not alone. hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 14, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9082699

I'll second that!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9082987

Thanks Guys! I got another fern. and some marigolds and petunias. Think the depression is licked again for awhile.
Will have to stay inside today probably. There are storms on the way. Will have to do houswork!!!! How depressing, LOL. Maybe I'll rearrainge furniture.
My DD from Texas is coming down this week. We're going to see about arrainging for cataract surgery and she also has an infected ingrown toenail. Some kids need a moma even when they are 50. LOL. Gotta take her fishing. Did i say she was depressed too.
My thought for the day-----Any law inacted with more than 50 words contains at least one loophole.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 15, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9083243

How come DOWN to Texas from Boston but down to Arkansas from TX? Down to Houston, up to El Paso, but down east Maine? Your friend, prepositionally confused. Or maybe geographically confused.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
2:20 AM

Post #9085647

Carrie, You are not geographically challenged----Just us Arkies,specially me.I live on a mountain, My town Clarksville is in the valley(I always go DOWN to the valley)After that down or up is potluck. Except north is always up.Eastern states are back east or up east.West is always south. Why? I don't have a clue. If I have a map in my hand I'm very careful about directions.Or if I'm on a walk or hike I'm careful. Now---Have i confused you completely?LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 17, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9086040

I was totally dazed and confused as a child. We alternately visited two grandmothers, one in Virginia (down South) and one in Maine (Down East). I couldn't make heads or tails of the United States. I used to go UP or DOWN regardless of where I was going.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 17, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9086178

I guess it is one of those Einsteinian relativity things. lol.
Everyone here is on some sort of anti-depressant. My Cymbalta is supposed to help with the neuropathy in addition to the Depression. I donít think you can have chronic pain without some Depression. Iím reading up on arthritis. I didnít even know Degenerative Disk Disease was a form of arthritis until recently. Duh, love the way doctors explain these things to you. You really do need to do your own research and educate yourself. Kay and Nadine are having success incorporating alternative medicine into their regime. Iím going to check out alternative methods. Iím blessed with a doctor who doesnít automatically disparage such things.
Busy, busy, busy and Nadine has been using the house computer for work. Iím sneaking in while she is taking a break.
It is going to take more than one application of Rodeo to wipe out the wild cane, but the ladies have stayed on top of it so far. The PI looks dead, but Iíll keep an eye out to see if it re-sprouts.
Planted some unfortunately named hairy toad lilies for late summer and fall color in the shade. Iím trying ĎBlue Wonderí, but I will add more toad lilies if they are successful. It looks like we will be facing longer summers and are trying to adjust our plant choices accordingly. I found zinnia,, marigold and salvia seeds on sale. That should keep things colorful this year. Searching out heat tolerant perennials. Looking at all the different things in the mallow/hibiscus family. They do exceptionally well in our area.
Vickie, is your DD going to have the cataract surgery in FL like you were once considering? (Jim)
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

April 21, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9092011

Planted some creeping. Clear red verbena for ground cover around the daylilies in Jimís Old Soldiers Garden. Perhaps that will save some weeding and prevent quick evaporation. Keeping moisture in the soil long enough for the plants to draw it up is always a challenge in sandy soil. Groundcovers help with that. (There is a plant family to consider, Carrie. Verbena is a good choice for a Texas garden,) the daylilies are starting to bloom here. ĎSpiced Custardí was the first to put in an appearance, even before the native orange kind. Found some pink snapdragons on sale. They had done their thing for spring, but Iím hoping they will be like the yellow ones I have. Rest through the summer and bloom again in fall. The yellow ones have even re-seeded themselvesÖunder the open stairs. :-) I was going to transplant them, but Jim says he likes the look of the bright yellow against the black steel.
Harvesting dewberries, strawberries (just a few) and the last of the snow peas. Have started planting the seeds of different gourds, (bushel, snake. Swan, birdhouse and a mixture of little ones.) I just like growing gourds. I donít mind cleaning and cutting them, but I need to find someone who likes to paint and finish them. Also, planted cantaloupe and watermelons. Staying with the small varieties of melons such as ĎSugar Babyí. I never have a great deal of success with the larger melons like ĎCarolina Greyí (blossom end rot) and they are easy to find at roadside stands if I want one for a large get-together. I have volunteer corn this year. Never had corn volunteer before. Planted some squash and beans at the base and watching to see what comes of it. Could be popcorn for all I know. Lol. k*

Thumbnail by Amargia

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 21, 2012
11:29 PM

Post #9092415

Sugar babies are gooooood. I've got Verbenas in my containers. A beautiful DL. Not even a bud on mine yet. Have you tried Zinnias and marigold for hot weather plants.
I bought two bromeliads kinda like a flat aloe, but they are pink. I feel like i found a treasure.
For Nitas eyes. We'll wait till we get her checked out from my doctor than decide where to go. It'll have to be the most economical place. Gotta get her infected ingrown toenail taken care of first. Figure I'll have to pump her full of vitamins and minerals before her bloodwork will pass muster too.
Kay, popcorn is good too.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 22, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9092948

The TV was broken on one of the flights we flew on and I had to watch 6 hours of cooking shows. Now I am lusting after squash and pumpkin custard/bread pudding.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

April 25, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9097939

Had to check that out. Pumpkin bread pudding with ginger sounds good. We rarely grow pumpkin. For it to be successful, you have to plant them in March which means you harvest around July. People just donít eat pumpkin in July! You can hardly give them away. If you time the planting for harvest in fall, foliage disease almost always does them in. 98% of the fresh pumpkin found in the stores at Halloween and Thanksgiving comes from points north. It is part of the great pumpkin-watermelon exchange. We get our Halloween pumpkins from the north and the north gets its 4th of July watermelon from the south. lol.
Planted some old spaghetti squash seeds. They came up. Yay, I like spaghetti squash. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9098300

Pumpkin-watermelon exchange? You shure couldn't grow a melon here by the 4th, that's true, but I never realized it was an exchange, like...the Columbian Exchange, or the NYSE? Love it.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2012
11:51 PM

Post #9100796

I guess we exchange rice and peaches for blueberrys and cranberrys. I love pumpkin. Love maple syrup more.
No daylilly blooms yet. Am I rushing the season. It got warm so early it seems like the middle of summer.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9101196

Mmmhmm, Vickie. I've had trouble eating after hospital food and hotel food, and med changes have messed with the way stuff tastes. I using more salt and sugar than usually and trying to tempt myself with whatever sounds like "comfort food". Maple syrup and pumpkin pie are BOTH on the top ten comfort food list, in fact, I may make a dish of pumpkin with eggs, milk, spices, etc, and cook it up for myself. With DH in TX and DD and I at home, I really am the only one who likes the stuff I like! DH cant eat dairy, and I LOVE cheese and milk and creamy, cheesy stuff! DD doesn't like things that have crunch or texture and I LOVE nuts seeds raisins whole grain quinoa and things that you need dental floss to get out, ha ha ha. Anyway, so DD is on a looong weekend school trip to Washington DC and DH is in DFW and I am racking my brain to think of what I like! (I give up.)
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9103353

Carrie, Don't forget garlic,cinnamon,all spice,ginger.
DD thinks she's ready to go home tomorrow. Hope i can persuade her to stay for the cataract doctor.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

April 30, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9103949

Vicki, I always have them, but right now my tired palate is saying "don't you need more SUGAR, SALT or maybe more BUTTER?" It doesn't realize that I have been eating low fat low sugar for years without it making a peep! Now all I hear is "Make it sweeter! I can't taste that! More SALT"
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

May 2, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9106994

Sorry all Kay is sick and I may be a little distracted for a bit she is on sabbatical recovering.

Vicki, those are good spices I also try to use something like Mrs. Dash seasoning sometimes it is the blending of the seasonings that hits my tickler.

Carrie, hope you find something to spice things up for you that you like an unhappy palate is a bother and makes food boring.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2012
8:32 AM

Post #9107080

Yes, it does, Jim. I hope Kay's "sabbatical" doesn't last a literal year!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
12:30 AM

Post #9116702

Kay, hugs and prayers going out to you. LMK if there is anything i can do.Hugs for Jim and Nadene too.
DD is back to her home. Nothing much accomplished,bUT AM STILL WORKING ON IT.
My flowers are doing good.No DL blooming yet.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2012
2:19 AM

Post #9116731

hi Vickie ...I've been awake for a while. I didn't think anyone else would be up. my yard is exploding with spring. huh...daughters! not sure how I feel about mine today. I think they would probably say the same about me if they dared. Mother's Day is very emotional in my house.

Happy May and Happy Spring!
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 9, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9117877

Iíve been reading Fresh Food from Small Spaces: The Square-Inch Gardenerís Guide to Year-Round Growing, Fermenting and Sprouting by R J Ruppenthal. I was considering adding it to our list of useful books in the Practical Matters intro since most physically challenged people garden on a small scale. The author writes of EarthBoxes, e-buckets and other container techniques. Has anyone read this one? Anyone done any sprouting? I was surprised by the list of seeds that are good for sprouting. I never got beyond alphalfa sprouts. K*
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 13, 2012
1:03 AM

Post #9121713

I found a recipe for our summer pumpkin. It uses cinnamon basil instead of the usual pumpkin pie spices. I think that will give it more of a summer flair. It is time to cut back the cinnamon basil. This will be the first time we have used it in cooking. Also, found a cookie recipe that combines cinnamon basil with lime zest. That combination sounds sort of Thai so I will try it as a dessert for a Thai meal.
You should be able to grow basil easily in a DFW area garden, Carrie.. Do you like any of the different basils. I like Genavese for cooking, but purple opal and lettuce leaf are pretty in the garden. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 14, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9123768

Yummy yummy I am hoping to have a container patio garden. Maybe I can get a summer crop of tomatoes or basil.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2012
12:55 AM

Post #9125582

The receipes sounds great. I love pumpkin pie way too much to even consider changing the receipe. LOL
I've grown basil in ETEX and here too.My favorite was regular basil but Lemon basil was good too and of course the infamous chocolate basil--NOT! LOL Also had the purple basil,It had a kind of a sheen that was so pretty.
I found 3 fleas last night in the house. The bug killer people will be out next week. One gets all kinds of bugs when one lives in the woods

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 16, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9125945

I love to cook with basil--will it be too hot by the time we get there to grow a crop of basil, or tomatoes, for that matter?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9131393

Tomatoes love the heat as long as they are regularly watered. We sometimes grew a fall crop of tomatoes.Our first frost was usually in November.The only problem is the vast amount of bugs that attack late summer.You have to sprey to controll them.
The basil would be ok. anyway you could take it in the house during a frost.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 20, 2012
11:18 PM

Post #9131397

Carrie, I was going to give you the website for Texas A%M bUT THE GOOGLE list was so much fun. I'll just tell you to google gardening in East Texas. I've got to read some of it too. LOL

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 21, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9131985

I know, right? You can get distracted and spend all day there. OK, I will Google E. Texas Gardening.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #9133852

Carrie, I guess it would depend on what qualifies as ďhighĒ heat in the D/FW area this year and what variety of tomato you are trying to grow. Some tomato varieties handle high heat better than others. Once daytime temps are consistently in the upper 90s and it isnít cooling off much at night many tomatoes sort of go dormant. Grumpy (a.k.a.: Steve Bender, The Grumpy Gardener at Southern Living Magazine.) list a few of the better southern summer varieties here:
http://grumpygardener.southernliving.com/grumpy_gardener/2011/08/show-me-your-tomatoes.html
ĎArkansas Travelerí is my personal favorite.
Of course, if you are starting from seed, those seeds need to be germinated inside at their preferred germination temp. It is good to remember tomatoes can be started from cuttings since it is hard to find plants in the nursery mid-season. Vickie is solidly on target about diseases and late summer tomatoes in my experience. Early and late tomato crops arenít as troublesome. That is why many Zone 8ers started their tomatoes in January this year. Having Sept., Oct. and Nov. as part of your garden season will probably take some getting accustom to. We tend to treat the high summer lull like the depth of winter except it is the AC and not the fireplace we hug. It might be possible for you to have fresh tomatoes on the Thanksgiving table!
The tomatoes we put in eBuckets and strawbales are doing better than those in the ground. We will harvest the first fruit from the ĎLivingstoní soon. It is beginning to change color. (Thanks, Vickie! It is from seed you sent.)
I traded for the seeds of several kinds of agastache. The hummingbird mint was the first to put in an appearance despite my neglect. I would put hyssops at the top of the list for good container plants.
ĎMosesí Fireí is the daylily bloom for today.

Thumbnail by Amargia

cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 22, 2012
9:08 PM

Post #9134547

Thanks for the picture of Moses Fire. I was going to send Jim one since he did'nt think there were any DL named after men.Maybe I'll send him Which Way Jim. The Travs are my favorites too. Am on a spell of not sleeping again. Been 2 nights. I've got to get some sleep tonight. Gonna take a sleeping pill.
Night all.

Edited- A herd of deer went thru my wild DL last night and stripped every bud but one.

This message was edited May 22, 2012 10:35 PM

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9137964

Oh no, Vicki, we all need sleep! I haven't been sleeping a lot since DH moved west---we'll be together in 3 days I think. I CAN DO IT!
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

May 25, 2012
11:34 PM

Post #9138937

Not much longer Carrie, You'll be a Texan. We welcome you with open arms and truely hope you'll love us.
I got a night and half a days worth of sleep. DD has made another appointment for me in Fort Smith.
The weather was super nice tonight so I stayed outside till midnight.
Can't wait till the third so i can get more flowers. Guess I'm in an annual flower phase right now. I want every one i see.
Jim, Kay,Nadene, you guys still around? Hugs to you.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

May 29, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9143540

Vickie, do you have the kind of Depression that runs in cycles? From tense and canít sleep to donít want to do much other than sleep. I feel like Iím on an energy and mood roller coaster sometimes. :-)
The cinnamon basil cookies were a hit. I wasnít sure when the raw dough turned out to be green. Lol. But, I had request for a 2nd batch. (They arenít green after baking.) Ran into trouble with the cinnamon basil pumpkin pie. It is too early to find fresh pumpkin even here and the canned pumpkin I found already had the traditional spices added. Iím going to try the recipe with sweet potatoes instead. Iíve heard many say they canít taste the difference between a pumpkin and a sweet potato pie. Sweet potatoes could be a good substitute and they are readily available.
Papa Jim has determined the size of the Old Soldiers Garden is too much for him to manage. He is cutting the size of the OSG in half. The half he is abandoning has the perfect mix of sun and shade for a Tea Garden. We will start work on that in fall. Most of the OSG plants were in large containers. We were able to move all of them to their new place via a hand truck and lots of sweat. I think the plants will receive better care in their more limited space. ~N~

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 2, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9149563

You seriously cannot find canned pumpkin without the spices and junk added? Oh Lord, what will the outside world be like? In New England, it's hard to find yams or sweet potatoes canned that aren't candied or somesuch, but we have Libby's pumpkin 365 days a year, especially Thanksgiving of course but I use to feed my babies straight pumpkin. Cheaper and safer than Gerber.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 3, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9150194

I can get plain canned pumpkin at Walmarts here all year.
The depression runs in cycles in that i get it every spring I never transfer over to a manic phase,just bottom out depressed than get better.I do get tense and feel dume come over me and i can't seem to get my act together.Nothing is worth doing and i'd just as soon die as live.but i keep fighting. Right now Restless leg syndrome is giving me fits.Will probably have to up the meds again.
Tomorrow is the day for the doctor.hurrah.
How are you doing Jim?
My flowers are doing ok except a deer keeps coming along and eating DL buds. May have to start sleeping outside.
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 3, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9150784

Vickie, when I see something interesting or something interesting happens, I still catch myself thinking ďI will file this away to tell Dad about next time he calls. Then, I suddenly realize that the phone lines I would need for that havenít been laid yet. Otherwise, Iím doing okay. He and Mom were married over 60 years when she died and heís been missing her terribly. I comfort myself knowing they are together again. I know he loved my brothers, my sister and I, but Christ and Mom were what his world revolved around. He is certainly happier where he is now.
Try wearing a long, flowing nightgown washed in one of those whitening and brightening detergents when you sleep outside to guard the daylilies. lol. Wait. It will make sense. Jim-sense anyhow. Kay told me deer donít see red and hypothesized perhaps that was why they donít eat the DLs in the Old Soldiers Garden. (Almost all the DLs in the OSG are red.) I checked her facts and read a study of what deer see. (They actually gave deer retina scans Kay was right. Deer donít see red, but they can see much further into the ultraviolet range than we can.. I learned washing your clothes in those detergents that brighten colors make a person wearing them practically glow to a deerís eyes. (The detergents make clothes look brighter by increasing the reflection of ultra violet light.) You would look like a daylily guardian angel to the deer. ROFL. (Jim)
I havenít been sleeping well eitherÖas you can probably tell. lol
,) It is like I get right to the edge of sleep and just hover there. While she was in the hospital, Kay was prescribed a med for sleep that was actually developed to treat bipolar depression. Vets with PTSD discovered that, taken at night, it combats nightmares. Desperate doctors have began using it for that purpose even though there are no clinical trials. Kay evidently had some bad nightmares while she was in the hospital. There was a man who came on duty and sat outside Kayís room door at night. He looked more like he was part of hospital security than part of the nursing staff. She can come up from sleep in full battle mode and it takes her a few minutes to come fully awake and realize where she is. I imagine it was made even worse by the fact they were giving her drugs to keep her asleep. The med seems to work. I get to watch her sleep peacefully for 8 hours and feel envious. I never thought I would be jealous of someoneís snoring. lol
The vining dewberries have given way to blackberries now. Nadine served blackberry cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top today. Good food always cheers me up and I have the belly to show how often I need cheering up. lol.

This message was edited Jun 3, 2012 7:21 PM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2012
12:23 AM

Post #9154169

OH Jim, I know what you mean. Even after 8 years I sometimes find myself thinking I have to tell Al about this, before I remember.I have no doubt I'll tell him sometime.
When I see a deer I'm more likely to look like a gaurdian devil than angel.LOL wonder how well they see blues(my most comman nightime colors)
Poor Kay. You'd be surprised, quite a few male nurses (Esp ones that were EMTs) Look like male boxers. and they seem to have hearts of gold. At least they used to. Yes I get to the edge of sleep and hang there but I can't handle that long than I get up.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9157475

Oh gosh, I know all about insomnia. Ray sometimes says things like "I was up for hours and you were sleeping like a (fill in the blank) on the same nights I'm awake reading in bed until 3a and then wake up again at 6a. For me the only thing that's ever helped has been exercise. Now, I can't even tire myself out any more. Bah!

I am here, or there, whichever. I am in Texas, I guess I should change my nametag.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 9, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9158131

Armagia---I received 3 healthy bulbs with growth at the top. What are they please?

Sheri
seacanepain
Midland City, AL

June 10, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9159989

Swamp lilies (Crinum americanum) to the best of my knowledge, Sheri. I was for sending small, more manageable sized plants, but Kay said she isnít sure the smaller ones are crinum americanum. Looked the same to me and I had already dug them so I put them in the package. ) She insisted on sending you a large bulb to be sure you got the fragrant swamp lily she described. We dug up a garbage bag full of bulbs in the overgrown garden of a very elderly woman who had been gardening most of her life. We stuck them in everywhere when we got home. Surprises are still cropping up from that plant rescue. If the two small bulbs arenít crinum, think southern heirloom bulbs FOR AN IDENTIFICATION. Welcome to mystery gardening. Lol. I recently read this and liked it. ďWe should require our politicians to dress like Nascar drivers so we know at a glance who their corporate sponsors are. (Jim)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9161180

GREAT quote, Jim! I would post that on Facebook if I knew who said it. Maybe I'll google it.

The moving van arrived today with one million mysterious boxes. The rented house just got to be a little rented house! We bought a sofa a few days ago--something we have never owned in common--and I don't know where they will put it. I will find out about medicaid on June 22nd; can't be soon enough.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 13, 2012
2:06 AM

Post #9163155

Jim, reckon we could get anyone to pass a law for all poiticians to carry a flag with the names of their(owners) LOL
Carrie, You have a house! Does it have a yard? Is'nt it amazing how little a house can get with a few pieces of furniture in it. You'll have it shipshape in notime. Then you can write about the evils of moving.
I'm attempting to really really clean house. Not enthused tho. Rather be outside.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 13, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9163632

V--"clean house"...what's that??
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 15, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9166905

Thats when I can see all my furniture without 3 inches of dirt on top. When all my books and magazines are in bookcases and racks. When I can find my computer. When i come across my crochet needles that I have'nt seen in 3 months.I come across my cornbread pan that is in the pantry instead of its normal place in the cabinet. When I hear a cat meow and instantly see her somewhere. How good life can be at times.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

June 15, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9167113

OT (sorry)- I want all of my friends here and on other threads to know just how much I have learned from you and how special each and every one of you are to me.
It is looking grim on me renewing my DG membership in a couple weeks, I have had much increased medical & pharmacy charges, and find myself hanging on a wing and a prayer.

Much love,
Sheri :-(

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 18, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9170478

Oh, Sheri, don't let $20 keep you away! I'll chip in. We need all of us here--we're dropping like flies...
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 26, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9182410

OH NOOOO! Attack of the mutant tomatoes.

Hummm we are drawing straws to see who taste them Q.Q lol.

Thumbnail by Amargia

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9183821

I will!!!! The only tomatoes we get come from the store or restaurants which comes to the same thing, green and crunchy. Boo.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

June 27, 2012
10:37 PM

Post #9184269

Carrie, There has got to be a farmers market somewhere nearby. YOU are in East Texas.LOL
Amargia people, I got fresh peaches!Na Na LOL
Have also got alot of hot temps.100 here and 107 in the valley. Am watering my flowers at night and hibernating in the daytime.All my monster animals are staying inside too.
Had some med tests done yesterday. Will get the results next week. Did'nt pass the short term memory test. Could be depression. They are going to do a sleep test in the hospital in a couple of weeks.A couple of prayers could'nt hurt.
Vickie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 29, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9185935

Oh, Vickie! A. Fresh peaches is good but failing the short term mem. test is stinky. (((hugs)))
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

June 30, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9187741

Peaches! Yum! This year I will have to get my peaches from the roadside produce stand since I moved my trees around. Iím just grateful they survived the move and appear happy in their new locations.
Bought a large watermelon and a cantaloupe for a visit from one of Amargiaís children. Iím going to let Jim choose the watermelons from now on. It was the sweetest watermelon Iíve had in years. I think I will pick the cantaloupe, however, since smell is a big part of picking a good one. I thought putting salt on watermelon and a little pepper on cantaloupe were universal. . Discovered some find that odd.
They are predicting a high of 112 as the afternoon high factoring in the humidity. (Actual temp of 103 or 104.) An inside day for sure. Can you imagine what a day like this would have been like for our pre-AC ancestors?
The ophthalmologist found I had high optic pressure and prescribed Travatan drops. The eye drops help, but even with insurance they are expensive. I didnít realize glaucoma was one of those things people over 50 had to be wary of. Iím trying to make a list of the positive aspects of being old. There must be some. Lol.
We are attempting to keep container plants cool with water and processing herbs today. k*
Picture: ĎPassion for redí

Thumbnail by Amargia

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 2, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9189870

I would definitely have thought that was UNTHINKABLE as a child, salt on a watermelon! Now that I am older and wiser (and put salt in hot cocoa, for instance), it doesn't seem that strange. I don't really like watermelon, but I can see how salt would improve it.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2012
1:00 AM

Post #9192306

Am one of those silly people that likes everything straight from the garden. Not cold , salty or sweetened...Raw veggies and fruits. When I was little, liked everything with sugar.
Have'nt been going to group for a couple of months decided it was time to go back. Have missed everyone. Just too depressed to make the effort.
Seems like I'm fighting a losing battle with the fleas. They keep coming back. I may have a plan that might work tho. I have a oneroom cabin that has no fleas. When the exterminator comes back I think I'll take my pets to the vet and let them take care of the fleas on my babies than stay in the cabin till I know the fleas are dead up here. Had fleas once before but the exterminator got rid of all them the first time. I hate nasty fleas. These seem to be super bugs. Yuck!!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9192602

Ugh, that sounds awful, but I like your plan, Vickie.

Some things I don't like raw (broccoli, squash, onions) but everything else (corn, beans, tomatoes, cukes, along those lines) I will rub off the dirt and eat.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 4, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9193239

We use Pet Armor on Tater-dog to keep her from bringing fleas inside. It is one of those once a month treatments. Fenny developed her own solution. She suns herself on hot concrete. Being black, she really absorbs heat. Fleas and chewing lice just canít survive the heat treatment she puts herself through. I suspect fleas and lice are also why she rolls in my Spanish lavender. The only good looking lavender I have is what is in raised beds.
I have planted lots of camphor basil this year for flying insect control around the deck. It is just getting started so the jury is still out on its effectiveness.
My vision dipped too low for my ZoomText magnification and speech program. Iím trying a new access program. It is a freebie called NVDA. Non-Visual Display Access. It sounds strange to have what Iíve written spoken in a British accent. The voice is very obviously computer generated. I was planning to step up to JAWS, but my pocketbook objected to the price and my schedule objected to the special training required to use JAWS. I can adapt to a British accent. Love the way it says tomatoes. Lol.
Sorry you are feeling so depressed, Vickie. Going back to Group sounds like a good idea. Writing helps me. Lately, Iíve felt like Iím losing my mind completely. The doctors say it is called Charles Bonnet Syndrome and affects about 20% of people losing their vision. The doctors keep assuring me its normal, but it sure doesnít feel normal. I attended high school at a school for the blind so I knew blind people didnít really live in darkness. The visual cortex still works even when the eyes donít. I didnít expect what I ďsawĒ to be so vivid and detailed. This is more than I bargained for. It is like living with a foot in two realities. They say CBS only last a year or two It is going to be an interesting two years!!!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 5, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #9194203

Does NOT sound like fun, dear Kay. As always, you have hugs (as long as they don't leave me smelling like camphor).

Another part of TEXAS I was not prepared for--the regular doctors and such don't take MEDICARE! Medicare has always been my ace-in-the-hole. Even if I don't have Medicaid, I assumed I could just show up somewhere--anywhere--and have Medicare accepted. I know in MA if you accept Medicare, you can't charge the patient more than 20%, and sometimes not even that. At pharmacies (in TX too) Medicare part D is great. Well, I had an old foot pressure sore open up over these last few days so I finally took it to an urgent care place on Tuesday. I saw on their web-site that they did NOT accept Medicare and DH had just finished switching me over to his BC/BS plan, thank goodness, because I didn't mention Medicare at all. They didn't ask and I didn't tell. I tried to get an appt. with DH's new MD with the Medicare--nope, personally turned down BECAUSE of Medicare. Now, I have Medicare (and it's my primary) because I'm disabled. Is this discrimination because of my disability? (Otherwise, I would just use the BC/BS and be set to go.) Is this the ADA lawsuit I've been dreaming of?
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
2:28 AM

Post #9201230

Carrie, Did'nt know Texas does'nt accept medicare. I do know my SIL,S sister died in Dallas because She could'nt get help because they would'nt accept her till too late. Maybe my SIL WILL JOIN YOU IN THE LAWSUIT.
From what I hear about Texas health care at the moment, They need a lawsuit in several areas.
The discremation is against everyone who needs healthcare.
Come on over to Arkansas, We got medicare and medicaid.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 11, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #9201507

Yeah, did you hear what Rick Perry said? "Texas doesn't want Medicaid; we're going to take our ball and go home!" (I'm paraphrasing.) Vicki, I wish DIL and grandkids and DH's job were in AR. Or a reasonable state, at least.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 11, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9201682

I thought fewer and fewer doctors accepting Medicaid and Medicare were a nationwide problem. Iím surprised it wasnít a problem in Massachusetts. The Emergency Room staffs in public hospitals are always complaining about it. They see patients who just couldnít wait two or three weeks for an appointment with a doctor who accepted Medicare/Medicaid insurance. The ER personnel feel like their system is getting clogged with ďGOMERĒ cases and they canít serve real trauma patients (heart attacks, accident victims, etc.) GOMER is an off-the-record term. I think it stands for ďGet Out of My Emergency RoomĒ A public hospital canít legally turn away anyone and I believe they always accept Medicaid and Medicare insurance. My Aunt Marj (one of Mama Kayís sisters) who is a hospital administrator says the problem is caused by the fact that doctors arenít getting paid for their services and there is a mountain of Paperwork associated with Medicaid and Medicare. Aunt Marj also warned me that Iím not going to have any more medical transcription work starting soon because ObamaCare requires immediate electronic entry of patient information. Meaning I would have to work in a doctorís office to do the work. There will be no more at home medical transcription work. I hoping it levels out with ObamaCare meaning I can get medical insurance.
We are teasing Mama Kay because she got a rocking chair for her bíday. Seriously, I want a rocking chair too. There is something about sitting on the porch in a rocking chair in the cool of the evening. We were thinking about a porch swing, but, except for Miss Patsy, everyone who spends time around here is economy sized. Big rocking chairs sound a little safer. ;-)
I was hoping to can some tomatoes or make some homemade catsup or pasta sauce, but so far the tomatoes are being eaten fresh before I have a chance to cook with them. Fresh tomato burnout will set in soon perhaps.
We had to take down the wooden entrance to the w/c garden. Termites attacked one of the upright supports. Iím looking at the possibility of using bamboo. I donít think termites will eat bamboo.
Daylily: ĎVoodoo Dancerí
Zinnia: light pink
Surprise Lily (I think?)
Hydrangea ĎEndless Summerí
Cluster ĎFlying Dragoní Orange

This message was edited Jul 11, 2012 12:38 PM

Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 12, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9203195

In MA I had Medicaid (as a working disabled adult) but I had to pay for it. (The cost, my cost, seemed high but it was WAY cheaper than paying out-of-pocket for home care is, for instance.) Nadine, the health care plan--I don't know any of the details--it has to be better than what we have, or don't have, as the case may be. DD#2 got switched (because our income is too high) from Medicaid to "Children's Health Safety Net" in MA. I think I whined about that already. About $3000 out of pocket so far this year for drugs for her!

Tomorrow is my first appointment with my new neurologist--actually this is only the MD for my baclofen pump. They take Medicare. (I'm guessing that big huge hospital-affiliated practices can afford to take Medicare and smaller individual doctors maybe can't?) But I couldn't sleep last night because I was so nervous about this appointment tomorrow, thinking of what I have to remember to tell her and ask for. For example, I haven't changed my car registration yet--so I can ask her to fill out the form for an HP parking plate.
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 13, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9203987

Happy Friday the 13th everyone. Weíve already received all our F-13th bad luck. I hope!!! Water pump on the truck busted and we given one of Amargiaís children money to get herself out of a fix so we canít afford to have it replaced at the auto repair shop. No good deed goes unpunished. Lol. The upside was we could afford the new water pump just not the labor cost. We bought a new pump and Jimís going to do the work himself. I have no superstitions about Friday the 13th. I am very superstitious about July 13th. The worst events of my life happened on July 13th starting with marrying husband #1 on July 13th. :-(
I donít know how much time I spent looking for a GP who accepted Medixcaid before out community started a family health center. Not a perfect solution, but it is better than it was before. The Boston area boast many top notch health facilities. Perhaps that raises the bar for health care in general.
I just remembered something, Vickie. Look for garlic and brewers yeast tablets in the pet section next time you go to WalMart. They help a lot with fleas on cats and I had no trouble getting my cat to take them. In fact, Catherine, the cat declared war on my ankles if I forgot her med time. She looked upon them as treats. Our local WalMart doesnít carry the tablets anymore. I have to order them a natural pet supply store online for the dogs. I guess the garlic tabs were so effective and inexpensive people werenít buying the pricier flea and tick control items.
The tomatoes planted around the rim of the sunken garden are doing especially well. They were not staked or caged, but left to 0tumble down the walls. Those plants are more productive than either the strawbale or Ebucket grown tomatoes. I have an unused topsy-turvy planterIím going to put a plant in it and see if I get the same effect. It is unused because of the expense. It is very heavy unless very light, purchased potting soil is used.
The odd looking tomatoes with the pebbles on their skin taste fine. Iíve never grown ĎLivingstonĒ before. The plant is very healthy. Iíve assuming it is normal for the cultivar.
I thinkí This is a better picture of ĎVoodoo Dancerí.

Thumbnail by Amargia

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 13, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9204041

You can buy both Red Star nutritional yeast and powdered garlic at www.bulkfoods.com. Maybe cheaper than the tablets. My dogs and cats have all loved the yeast and it's very good for them.

It's hot and humid here. I'm trying to clear shelves of fabric so I can brown bag the LAST bedroom wall. Sloow gooing but a little bit is better than nada and I'm making progress

Carrrie, how is liffe in Texas?

I haven't posted here much lately but I lurk regularly.

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9204161

Katie!!!!! Hello!!!! We miss you! Every time we go out (not dressed up out but like, today, when we went to the hospital cafeteria) and they have 'catfish' on the menu, it makes me think of dear Steph. I miss her too. I guess I'm a little lonely here--I don't know any bodies yet. I sort of recognize the cashier at Krogers, but I really don't know North from South yet.

So today I had my first official MD appt. They took Medicare (primary) and DH's Blue Cross (secondary). The doctor got me signed up for home care, PT, neurology, and we met a nurse/assistant/person (who was very nice) and a wound care specialist (who was super). The Baclofen pump doc was fine; not a really good listener, but she never met me before and she had reams of pages of history and notes and I brought my MRIs and I have had MS for more than 25 years, more than half my life, which gives me lots of surgeries and drugs and stuff to go through. I am not good at giving a concise summary of myself in chronological order. It was like an audition for us both. I think we passed. I feel SUCH a sense of relief to be hooked into a medical network again. I didn't realize how stressful that was until I stopped sleeping again the last 2 nights, thinking about this appointment today. It was fine!

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9204168

Kay, are you using a different speech-to-typing system than previously? You have--how do I put this?? An accent? A style? Certain misspellings occur more or less often and this one seems different. For instance, I used to use Dragon Naturally Speaking, and I would dictate letters to my friend Meg, but Dragon would hear "Mack" from "Kerry" or "Gary." I tried changing my pronunciation a thousand different ways; I never could get it to type "Meg" or "Carrie!"

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9204326

Don't understand & guess I don't need to understand.

Kay, I read your post just fine. "Typos" don't bother me much unless it's something for publication like church bullitens, etc.

KatieBear!! Wow, it's so good to hear from you. Did that big earthquake a couple months back affect you? I am so glad to know you are OK, albeit still dealing with the brown paper.

Lots of hugs,
BB/Sheri

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 13, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9204356

Sheri, hi, I'm glad you are there. It's not that there was anything I didn't understand, it just seemed a little different. I remember Kay talking a while ago about the different technologies she was using and was just wondering if that's what I was noticing. I've always admired Kay's speech-to-type software; I've tried it and couldn't do it.

BirdieBlue

BirdieBlue
Winston Salem, NC
(Zone 7a)

July 13, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9204516

I usually check in"s some kind of issue"but my computer h

There!!! See how it will take the latter part of a sentence or paragraph & stick wolly a challenge for me in decyphering the hodge podge rds or portions of a sentence somewhere up in my previously typed...oh well...as you can see, posting is usua

yep...this is why I rarely post ;-D

my computer has some tissuesypo

typo issues

This message was edited Jul 14, 2012 9:40 AM
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #9208351

Goodness Sheri. You talk fine. I gave up on spellcheck. It did'nt speak southern and would'nt let me post ANYTHING! Everyone seems to accept me as I am,at least no ones asked me to bug off.
Thanks for the addy. I had ordered from them a longtime ago. but had forgotten about them. There is a healthfood store in Russellville that has the Bakers Yeast and i love garlic and always have some on hand. Is'nt home cure wonderful. I shall try it tonight.Tho I think the fleas are finally going-going-gone anyway.
Wally World got some new potplants in. They are small plants but i love to see them grow anyway. Got a ponytail palm,a couple of cacti,Mother-in-law Tongue,and something I don't know what is.Am set for the winter. We are sure to have a winter again.Are'nt we?
Carrie, I'm so glad you've found a medical home. They sure are important.You are always so articulate I can't imagine you having trouble explaining yourself.

I went to group therapy this morning and it was good to get back. We're planning a party the 19th with a Hawaian theme. I'm bringing a pineapple something.I may just make a Pinkstuff Salad.
Katie it IS good to hear from you.Anymore, I think of you everytime I see a paperbag.I can see you tacking it to the wall. How is Tony doing? I saw a film about the Baja. Those rocky beaches are awesome. Do you ever go to those caves with the ancient artwork?And how does your garden grow?
Kay Was so glad to hear from you also. How is your whole crew?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9208668

If not for spell check I would not be able to post at all. I've tried typing without it -- when FireFox wasn't working and I had to use internet explorer -- completely unintelligible. Hawaiian Themed party sounds like fun, Vicki. I'm glad you're back with your group therapy. Nothing about you, but you always report how glad you are to be there, so I'm happy too! And YES it is good to back on the grid, doctor-wise. Spent all day yesterday home waiting for the VNA who never came grrrrr. But if you're not home when they come, they discharge you! Yes paper bags and Katie, and you don't see paper bags so much any more, though, it's mostly plastic.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

July 17, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #9208684

I'e been tearing a roll of brown contractor's aper into "plate-sized" pieces, more or less. Tony is pasting and applying them to the wall.

When he came to work this morning Tony told me the problem we've been having with our water is due to the "big pump" for twon water being down. It will take a week or so to get it repaired/replaced. Meanwhile we will get maybe two hours of water a day. Luckily I have a big gravity fed tank which is full. I'm just hoping we don't have electrical problems and lose what a/c we have. With the a/c on full my bedroomis still usually in the mid 80's.

I did a ton of laundry on Sunday so I'm congratulating myself for that. The tank connects to where I do dishes and my outdoor soaking tub is full. I'm prepared for life in Mexico!!

hugs, katie

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 17, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9208696

Yay for preparedness, Katie
Amargia
SE/Gulf Coast Plains, AL
(Zone 8b)

July 19, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9211644

Hello all, good to see you back, Katie.
Yeah you are one target, Carrie. The NVDA program is not working well for me, it sounds like the synthesized Stephen Hawking voice, if youíve ever heard that. I read somewhere that when offered the opportunity to upgrade to one of the new speech programs, Stephen Hawking chose to keep his original speech program. I never understood that decision. But then Iím hard-of-hearing so that might be a big factor. Itís odd that the clearest, best-sounding artificial voices belong to singing programs (Vocaloids).
The audiologist tells me my comprehension level is very high considering my hearing loss. It is a lot like putting verbal jigsaw puzzles together. Imagine hearing seven words out of a ten word sentence and trying to fill in the blanks. Most of the time the blanks are filled in correctly, but other times it can lead to hilarious misunderstandings. A sense of humor is vital when youíre hard-of-hearing.
Iíve been falling back on transcription. I record my posts and give them to Nadi or Jim.
Vickie, once when I had a very bad flea problem in my house I was desperate enough to try to bathe the old tomcat I had. Not something I would recommend. Lol
Iím adapting to the Charles Bonnet syndrome. Iíve started using an Ozark mountain walking stick or a bamboo quarterstaff to move around the property. Since I canít trust what I see, it forces me to function as a totally blind person. I still use my traditional white cane when we go out of course. Itís been quite a long time since it was acceptable to walk around with a quarterstaff in public. A few hundred years I think. Lol.
There has been an upside to the experience; itís given me plenty of fodder for science fiction stories. The old Dodge Dakota is up and running again. We need to buy a van, but I want to keep the Dakota. Transporting large amounts of barnyard fertilizer could be problematic with a van. ;)
Itís been very hot and muggy; Iíve been doing small decorative concrete projectsÖin front of a fan. Jim has been turning an old charcoal grill into two raised planters. He bolted the lid of the grill onto an old desk chair base for the second raised bed. Nadi hates going outside during the daytime when itís this hot. Sheís working outside at night. I guess she is one fully sighted person I canít tease about being light dependent.

k*

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 19, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9211668

Oh, I would HATE to depend on someone else to transcribe my posts! Typing and posting is about the only thing I can do independently any more. (I can't use the bathroom, wash dishes, dress, dress, blah blah blah very boring to discuss but I wish the list were longer.)

I think I can understand Stephen Hawking's position--I mean, he was one of the FIRST actual synthesized voices anybody heard; before that it was just R2D2. That sound is very closely identified with the sound of him; it almost IS the sound of him. The only thing it's missing is a British accent. I have trouble with my GPS because there are no cues as to whether I'm about to miss it or not. She doesn't sound alarmed; there is no urgency or sense of immediacy in her voice when she says "turn right in 10 ft... 5 ft... whoops you missed it, you dummy!"

There is a lady who is a Russian immigrant (a US citizen now, by marriage) whom I have hired to take me out during the day. Yesterday we got Texas license plates for my car! That is one loathsome task I have been dreading since we found out we were moving. It was amazingly easy. But we are paying her $10 an hour out of pocket (!!!!!!) to come take me to the toilet in Kroger's, Walmart, Walgreen's, K-mart, Target, wherever. She feels bad because she knows we are going broke (at $20-30 a day) so sometimes she won't let me pay her what we owe, so then I feel bad, so I'm helping her with her English and her accent. In Russia she was a Russian Literature teacher. The chance to move here trumped that, I guess. Still, it's a bad situation.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 21, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9213400

That sounds like a fair deal to me, Carrie. It is much more than I get paid for running errands and acting as MK's sighted guide, but then I get lots of perks. (Room and board, food, etc.) I still think I would like to become a certified PCA. A nurse told me I wasnít physically strong enough for the work, but I can change that. The sheer number of elderly people there are as the baby boomers age would mean job security. With the job of medical transcription going the way of dinosaurs, I need to be thinking about other work.
A snake bit Fenny-dog on Thursday night. I was afraid I would lose her at first. Her paw was terribly swollen and she whined and whimpered almost non-stop. I had never heard Fenny make such sounds before. From the size of the puncture wounds and the distance between them, it must have been a big snake. Fenny has zero tolerance for snakes. She destroys them on site. Sheís been bitten in the past, but never been so sick from it. Papa Jim forced a Benadryl down her throat and Mama Kay gave her something to ease the pain and make her sleep. Her paw is still swollen today, but not nearly so much as it was. I have no doubt now she will survive. I hope she has learned her lesson. Tater-dog is much smarter about snakes. Tate will bark incessantly until she gets our attention, but she never lets herself get within striking range of a snake. She appears to think she has done her job in letting us know a creepy-crawly is present. Getting rid of said creepy-crawly is our job. .
I was so worried about Fenrira, I didnít sleep well. I did my outside work around 4 a.m. The birds are up and singing even before the dawn. We have so many song birds now! I can remember when Amargiaís feathered inhabitants were more likely to be crows and turkey buzzards. BTW, Sheri, do you know the right dimensions for the entrance hole in a bluebird house?
PJ has been chained to the computer today doing a complete re-install. MK is busy with something involving concrete and leaves. I guess we will know what that is about eventually. I think it is past time for this thread to be refreshed I'll get on it :-)
~N~
Photo #1: ĎBold Moveí daylily
Photo #2: Verbena? Valerian? Itís a plant that starts with ďVĒ. lol. Note to self: Use only paint pens to write labels in future.

This message was edited Jul 21, 2012 12:48 PM

Thumbnail by Sansai87   Thumbnail by Sansai87

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9214399

Rofl Nadine, I have noted that EXACT thing to myself many a time.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

July 22, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9214403

And I really hope Fenny is just fine! Are you sure she's OK? Will you take her to a vet? And there is an article about the dimensions of bluebird houses, if you want the link. Just say the word and I'll go grab it, or look on the left under "guides and information" here on DG.
Sansai87
Midland City, AL

July 31, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9225076

Glad to be back. Our anti-viral program, Viper, wouldnít let us on DG for a time.
MK said vets once made housecalls. I wish that were still the case. It is difficult to get Fenny to the vet even for routine visits. Tater doesnít mind the vet as long as she gets her hamburger reward after. Fenny seems to think a junior cheeseburger is not adequate compensation for getting stuck with needles. By the time Fenny was calm enough to be coaxed into the truck under her own steam, it was obvious she was okay. If I ever get another dog, it is going to be a small one so I can be alpha!
There has been an unusual amount of rain lately meaning the land hasnít gone into its usual summer lul. That means lots of mowing and weeding in sauna conditions. It also means using a baking soda mix to keep powdery mildew at bay. The silver lining is the tomatoes havenít gone into summer dormancy.
PJ had an odd experience while mowing. A bee flew into his beard and got stuck. That is not the only case weíve had of bees getting stuck lately. PJ bought a hummingbird feeder that claimed to be inaccessible to bee raiders. The bees are determined to proved those claims wrong. One bee had her dead stuck in the ďflowerĒ and another managed to get completely inside the jar. The one in the jar actually survived the raid. She must have thought she was in bee heaven.
This thread is continued at: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273434/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Accessible Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
abled fighters dpmichael 13 Sep 28, 2009 1:31 AM
Gardening with a bad knee Bug_Girl 13 Aug 28, 2009 4:26 PM
"Enabled" vs. "Disabled" Gardeners Shirley1md 40 Apr 8, 2007 6:29 PM
a gardening poem debi_z 43 Jun 17, 2013 4:59 AM
pneumatic seat for gardening debi_z 31 Jun 30, 2009 2:48 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America