Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Show Us Beginners Your Blooms Pt II

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 75, Views: 739
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #8958976

Continuing here...

Thumbnail by Carolyn22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NancyGroutsis
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #8959631

Carolyn22, thanks for continuing the blooms thread! Here's a photo of a fuchsia we were growing at a NW window last year.

DoGooder

Thumbnail by NancyGroutsis

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #8959666

DoGooder

Beautiful colors. You have it flower inside?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #8959787

Wow, pretty Fuschia!!! Here's a June pix

Pix clockwise from top: wild sunflowers, Daisy Becky, Pennstemon strictus Rocky Mt. Blue, Catanche unopened, Lavendula Munsted just opening, Veronica spicata Sight Seeing Blue and Malva.

This message was edited Jan 10, 2012 10:46 AM

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

NancyGroutsis
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #8959950

Carolyn22, yes I grew that fuchsia indoors from a seedling. We had an outdoor bleeding heart fuchsia that grew from flat to 3 feet in one month, so transplanted it indoors by taking a part of the root, however it never grew any more after it was transplanted. By the way, I really like the light gradient from shade to sun in your photo and the flowers' pale colors look great with the green gradient.

warriorswisdomkathy, what a pleasing landscape photo! The flowers have a prairie look and the arrangement produces a wonderful lavender, pink, yellow and white palette. I can't identify any of the species but I'm getting a lavender catmint this spring that would match well with those flowers.

DoGooder

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 8, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #8960008

that fuchsia is gorgeous!!!

Our winter has been so mild the hellebores have blooms a month earlier than last year

Thumbnail by flowAjen

NancyGroutsis
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

January 8, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #8960041

flowAjen, thanks! I could use that compliment since most of the new plants I started last year died. I've been doing a lot of research so this year I can help my plants more.

You posted a nice photo, very fresh and symbolic of the new year. Our winter in zone 5b has also been mild. Other than a few early snowstorms we've had little precipitation and some days it's as if spring is here.

DoGooder
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2012
1:19 AM

Post #8960074

Jen

I put in hellabores this past year - Not sure when they should flower for me, but perhaps I should start looking in the upcoming weeks.

DoGooder - we are mild as well. It can stay that way for me and I will be happy. I worked out in the yard this past weekend. It felt good to do that.
NancyGroutsis
Hopkinton, MA
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2012
4:21 AM

Post #8960127

Carolyn22, I'm also happy that we haven't had major snowstorms in December and January because I have to get some gardening work done and it's a lot easier to do than when there's a foot of snowcover.

DoGooder

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #8961897

Another one of my favorites to use for flower arrangements, I keep mine in full bloom til frost, it's all a matter of deadheading.

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #8961961

Our winter has been record setting mild here!! In fact here are some very confused spring bulbs on january 2nd

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 10, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #8962018

Outlaw

My daffs are trying to come up too. I noticed a blossom trying to come on one of my roses last weekend when I was out. I should check it again to see what is going on with it.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 10, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #8962029

Seeing bulbs poking thru here too...this weather is CRAZY

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
1:09 AM

Post #8964407

It's raining right now!!! Wth...
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #8964478

Raining here as well. I would rather have rain than snow...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 12, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #8965243

I'd rather have snow :)
PrairieFolly
Flint Hills, KS
(Zone 5b)

January 13, 2012
11:47 PM

Post #8966907

WWKathy, thanks for the identification on your flowers. Very inspiring photo.
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 20, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #8975231

Hi everyone. Can't do much outside so this is what I've got going on inside. Amaryllis Hippeastrum "red lion" and "apple blossom". Those are narcissus "paperwhites" in the center. Picture taken about a week ago.

Thumbnail by ironworker25

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #8977872

Thanks Prairie...

A bit quiet, (weather wise here), just a few flurries this morning but sunshine now. But burry and a bit breezy. Gosh how I'm looking forward to spring.

So what's everyone ordering this spring (plants of course). I'm still debating on starting seeds this winter, anyone else doing such?

Pix is (back to front): gypsophila babies breath, salvia nemerosa, dracocephalum, dianthus cheddar pinks.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #8977878

Oooops.

ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #8978031

You have posted some nice pics W.W.Kathy. Feels a little closer to spring. That along with 40's and rain in January!
I've decided to try my hand at seeds this winter. I'm new at it but I already have a start. I got some free cosmo and baby's breath seeds. The cosmos look good but I'll have to try something different with the b.b.
I have 3 nice basils started, all different. A couple of tiny tim tomato seedlings, and I just put some thyme, red chile, and delphinium seeds in some soil. I'm going to start some green pepper and better boy tomatoes soon too.
Quite a little list...but I have to be ready for spring and stay busy in the meantime! Hope I didn't bore everybody too much!
Oh, and my "paperwhites" in my picture above are starting to pop out. Helps to keep the winter blues at bay. Think Spring!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 24, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9018815

I like, what have been posted so far. Hoping to revive this thread, by posting some of my spring blooms, which I'm looking forward too. I would like to see some more from yours.

First is some Columbine (Aquilegia), barlow series.

Second is Clematis Niobe.

Third is Saxifraga

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007
Click an image for an enlarged view.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 24, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9019029

Iron...which gypsophla are you going tp start ( annual or perenn)? The cosmos can be started in the garden very easily, I just drop them on the ground and they start when they are ready, in my z5 it will be after last frost. Any annuals need to be started in April-ish for your area or the plants will get too leggy. No... just remember we were all new at gardening once.

Burn..just love the pixs, wow I haven't seen saxifraga in quite awhile, sooo cute.

Got 8.5" of snow yesterday, if anyone is looking for some have plenty to share,lol. I know, spring's just around the corner.

Pix: my growing stand with all my babies (one of two), not from this year tho.
Pix: (white) Dianthus X loveliness and perennial geranium Rozanne.
Pix: Hesperis matronalis (Sweet Dames Rocket)
Pix: Peony and hesperis
Pix: Lupine

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 24, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #9019046

Blooms this year so far, can't wait for the Reticulated Iris usually blooms 3rd week in March but with our warm weather maybe we'll see them early

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9019472

Jen

My snowdrops and crocus are not up yet, but they are pushing up shoots. I had forgotten about the reticulated Iris and I need to go looking to see if they are showing any shoots. Thanks for the reminder.

ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 29, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9025117

Hi WWK.
They were annuals. I just wanted to try some to see if the seeds were any good and frankly, I was bored. I don't much care for them and don't think I'm going to add any this year. I have plenty of cosmo seed and I will make room for some of them however. I will probably start another batch inside here soon because there are too many birds and critters to put out seeds or seedlings with much success around here. Thanks for the tip though.
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

February 29, 2012
6:47 PM

Post #9025263

Thanks WWK. Your plants looks very healthy, and I love the the purple and pink combo.
As for the snow, I'll pass. :) We got dumb a foot and a half, last Saturday, and expecting 6 to 8" more this Saturday. :((

Nice bright blooms Jen. So cheery.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

February 29, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9025361

Did have only 2 reticulated Iris bloom 'Harmony' so far...they are 2 weeks earlier than last year

and this Winter Jasmine was a pleasant surprise since it was still in it's plastic pot, I never got around to planting it in the fall

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9026142

Lovely blooms...not sure if we are going to have a spring here...today's high was in the 80's. I planted an osteospermum last spring and was delighted to see it not only survived the few freezes we had, but is blooming...and the bletilla ground orchids also

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 4, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9030207

Katherine Hodgkin reticulated Iris

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9030840

Burn and Flo...just love those spring bulbs, one day I shall add some when I get some idea of where I want them. So for now I'll have to enjoy the pix, thanks.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9030857

themoonhowl...Love your dark purple osteos. By chance did you save any seed? If ya did would you be interested in a trade for some? Can check out my haves. I grow O. barberiae Lavender Mist and Purple Mountain, both perenns. and also a annual variety of Lemon and Orange. Just love them, can't figure why more people don't grow them, as they bloom the whole season. My annual reseeds itself every year.

pix: Passiflora carulea, passion flower vine

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 5, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9031011

Kathy, didn't get any seed last year...I have yet to see any new plants either...this one actually over-wintered. If I manage to collect any this year will be happy to share with you. This is another of the same color in a pot...upper right...in the sun it appears a bit lighter.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 5, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9031650

Love the calibricoea and gomphrena with the osteo, verrry pretty, and yes save some for me. Thanks!

Pix salvia nemerosa

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 6, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9031838

Thanks...I will certainly do my best to remember...grin
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

March 11, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9038057

From the Selby Garden Plant Sale a couple weeks ago>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener   Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener   Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener   Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener   Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

OutlawHeart81

OutlawHeart81
Syracuse, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 11, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9038219

Things are popping up early here!!! The are "Surprise!" bulbs. No clue what they will be but it sure looks like i may have some cobra lilies!!! ...I hope?!

Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81   Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81   Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81   Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81   Thumbnail by OutlawHeart81

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 11, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #9038343

So nice to see blooms. Jen those little Iris are lovely, I should look into planting some, for next spring.
Moon I still like that Osteospermun. It a beautiful color.
Lovely passiflora, and nice mound of salvia,WWKathy.
DTGardener, wow so many things in blooms, Is that a Wisteria vine in the third pic? Gorgeous!
OLheart, Istill don't see anything popping. Looks like you'll have a great surprise soon. Maybe Hyacinths and daffodils too.

Peonie, tulip, pasque flower,geranuim sanguenium, forget me not.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

demanded
New York, NY

March 27, 2012
1:13 AM

Post #9058679

see below

http://www.sendflowersflowerdelivery.com/
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
1:24 AM

Post #9058688

?

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9058836

what's up with that?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

March 27, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9059046

Perhaps demanded doesn't grow flowers and wanted to show us where the blooms are in New York.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9059143

Central Park would be a better bet
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9059282

Some of those balcony gardens or rooftop gardens in NY are stunning...

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #9059810

Burn and Dale...wow, just love the pix... and that pasque flower is a beauty, a wild form that grows here in the foothills of the Rocky Mnts. (west of me 'bout 40-50 miles) is the purple variety, gosh they are sooo soft and fuzzy.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 27, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9059867

What is that dark flower in the 5th pic?

Have some tulips opening here and gettting ready to

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9059921

flowAjen...the light pink is Gypsophila (baby's breath) repens which is a ground cover, blooms all season and lightly reseeds, the dark flower is Callirhoe involucrata (Wine Cups), low growing at a few inches but have seen a mature planting at about 8-12" as it had mounded, up to 4ft long, both bloom all season.
Oh yummm, tulips, please smell for me and send, lol, thanks.
Sorry, I should have labled, lol. 1. Lily, one of those new crosses between trumpet and oriental, 2. Echinacea palida I'm thinking or is Tennesseensis, 3. Scabiosa, one of the tall ones, 4. Delphinium grandiflora, 12-16", blooms ALL season, comes in blue, pink or white, (I only have the blue at the moment, anyone have seeds for the other colors???)
There, does that help? Do ya like how I'm hooking you all on new plants to try? (LOL). Want some more pix? lol.

pix: verbascum phoenicium
pix: iris setosa I believe, is fairly new and love it, Denver Botanic Garden sale plant, spring at 18-24"
pix: german iris (I think an unkn.)
pix: saponaria ocymoides, spring, groundcover
pix: achillea millefolium, the non reseeding form
Enjoy, lol, I'm naughty for enticing you all.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

March 27, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9059948

Outlawheart81...I got some guesses for you on those bulbs...#1,2,and 5 look like tulip an early var. but a species type( the varigated foliage. #3 looks like Hyacynth, #4 daffodil, and #5 also has hyacinth with tulip. Now let me know how I did ,lol.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 28, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9061251

Love the tulips, Jen especially that last orange one. I've never seen that kind.
Kathy, lovely Iris. I have the burgundy one. and wish the flower would last longer.

Bleeding heart, Forget Me Not, Hyacinthe, Columbine,and another columbine.

Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007   Thumbnail by burn_2007

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #9061282

That one is 'Donald Duck'

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 28, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9061285

burn, you're Aquilegias are blooming already???
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

March 29, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9062107

No Jen, sadly nothing blooming, just a few shoots starting to point right now. The flowers are just a reminder of what, I should be expecting in June. ;) You'll probably see yours blooming way before me. Thanks for the name of the tulip. I'll keep an eye on the fall bulbs catalog, for them.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9062475

I was kinda wondering how you had all those beauties blooming before me
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 18, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9087809

First fruit on this passion fruit this year.

Thumbnail by birke

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9087890

yum

tulips are starting to come to an end, taking all the pics I can of these, I LOVE them

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 18, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #9087959

Very nice birke, Do you like to eat the fruit?
Jen, is your last pic a Redbud? I'm not familiar with them. Looks great! Your just about done with your tulips, and I'm just starting to see crocus. ;)
First two pics crocus. My Rhubarb is shooting up. Next one is Jacob ladder. And last one is Aquilegia.

oklee
Oklahoma City, OK

April 18, 2012
3:34 PM

Post #9087969

Well the daffodils are about finished, the peonies I planted last spring are looking lovely (I'm thrilled to say), the salvia 'May Night' is blooming, and the allium is finishing. And I have a question for all you veteran gardeners: it appears that the allium make tiny seed pods? on the tips? Do I let them do that all they want til they're spent, or do I clip them off and let the leaves die--so that it won't suck energy away from the plant?
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 18, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9088043

Oklee

It is entirely up to you. Many people will leave the allium heads as it adds interest to the garden. There are those that will cut the heads off because they like things neatened up. Then there are those that like to trade seeds and will wait until the allium head goes to seed so they can trade them - Typically I leave mine.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9088346

Yes a Redbud, that one is Ruby Falls

I usually deadhead the alliums, just makes it neater looking but now you got me thinking...it is a bulb and you should deadhead most bulbs cause it drains the energy...hmmmmmm
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 20, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #9090149

@burn_2007 Yes I love passion fruit. I have others growing along my fence like a hedge hoping for a lot of fruit this year!

Thumbnail by birke

upallnightagain
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9092384

Hey folks, new here and my yard exploded in the last couple of weeks...and nobody in my house gets excited about it but me, so I'm GLAD to be here and see there really ARE other people in the world that get excited about things that grow and bloom (or not)!

1. Mexican evening primrose (AKA weeds in TX, or so I hear, Lol)
2. Misc. Miniature Rose, Anonymous but beautimous!
3. Peony, 'Sorbet', my absolute favorite, the first thing I ever planted, so my firstborn if you will (eeeww)
4. Double Knock-Out, always trying to sneak out the side fence
5. Another Peony, this one is a common variety I'm sure, but I don't know the name...maybe the hitchhiker knows?

Thumbnail by upallnightagain   Thumbnail by upallnightagain   Thumbnail by upallnightagain   Thumbnail by upallnightagain   Thumbnail by upallnightagain

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 22, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9092565

Welcome to DG Upallnightagain. Yup...folks here get excited about every bloom...their own and each others...grin Congrats on another season of beauties in the garden.
Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

April 22, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #9093120

Up

Gorgeous flowers and I just love the colors!

Welcome!
burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

April 23, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9095155

Welcome to the thread UP, yep do get excited about my blooms, especially after a long winter of the white stuff.
Love your blooms, very colorful, hope to see more of them

Great hedge of passion fruits, Birke.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

April 23, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9095391

FlowAgen...I'm sorry, I was naughty and using last years pix, lol, I only got a few plants in bloom so far. sob, sob...
Up...Welcome!!!!! Don't cha just love it when you can talk plants, show pix and actually discuss growth habits and how tos.
Ok... plants that I do have blooming now...iris g dwarf: yellow and one purple, j js, perennial Alyssum, Thermopsis just beginning to open, and Dicentra formosa also just beginning. Spent the last two days weeding and cutting down last years foliage, things are a bit early this year. NEW, pix to come, lol. So here a sunrise for ya all instead. Kathy

DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 29, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9102489

At the State Arboretum in Largo, Fl>

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener   Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener   Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener   Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener   Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 3, 2012
11:45 PM

Post #9109657

pix1: iris buchannii, very early
pix2: iris g. dwarf, gosh need to get the name, hope the tags still there
pix3: Basket of Gold Alyssum (Aurinea saxatilis)
pix4: Ajuga tri color
pix5: And scads of J J's, love how they are breeding and creating so many new colors for me.

burn_2007
Grand-Falls, NB
(Zone 4a)

May 4, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9110621

DTGardener, lovely shots, favorite is the first one.
Kathy, love that Iris buchannii, I've never seen that one before.

Poppy Anemone Burgundy

Thumbnail by burn_2007

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9110683

Nice Kathy!
Love the color on that poppy anemone

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2012
4:55 PM

Post #9110696

here come the irises, the last one I had to bring in cause the bloom broke off

Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen   Thumbnail by flowAjen

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2012
9:54 PM

Post #9112190

Flower Garden 2012
Hellebores in the shade garden.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee   Thumbnail by Domehomedee

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9112494

The irises are almost finished here...got a couple pics...

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9112498

our Spring was early

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9112858

burn, that anenome is beautiful, just love it
dome...how pretty your garden is, what hem. is that Hyperion?
flo and moonhowl...I'm continually amazed at how beautiful iris are, the luminecence of each bloom is spectacular, wouldn't it be great if they could get iris to bloom all season. I know there are rebloomers but they don't do it here for me...don't I wish!!!!!! Not sure if it's the altitude (6800feet) or if it's my zone (Z5, now listed as Z6) and the season's not long enough.
burn... the iris buchannii is new for me, in summer the foliage disappears, in fact I thought I had lost it, lol. It was the first thing to bloom in the garden.
Pix: Thermopsis montana, just began blooming realy nice and then the deer found it, so here's last years pix (***##^&***&)
Pix: Centaurea montana just starting to open nicely, also found a big chomp mark this morning.
Pix: Centauea m. Amethyst in Snow
Pix: Linum perenne (flax just opening)
pix: and a new aquisition, for me an annual Osteospurmum, nifty, huh?

Carolyn22
Athens, PA
(Zone 5b)

May 6, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9113141

So Gorgeous!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2012
9:19 PM

Post #9113407

wwk - You're probably seeing the pink flower - it's watsonia. I mostly have TB iris and daylillies in the front flower bed, also a few stray California poppies!
I love Osteospurnum - I have a purple one and I swear it looks like it was cut out with a machine, like a silk flower. If you are lucky you will get a few volunteers next year.
Look at all the Iris. Mine are all opening at once - my yard is gorgeous - I fear it will be short lived though.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America