ID help please

Copperas Cove, TX(Zone 8a)

This little guy and a few friends show up a lot at my feeders. Earlier today I was re-tying up the woodpecker feeder block and he landed on one of my feeders about 6ft away and proceeded to eat, didn't seem scared of me at all. He/she has a crest similar to a Cardinal however it seems to raise and lower the crest. I hope this photo is good enough for an identification if not I have a couple more.

Thumbnail by chris1948
Near Central, IA(Zone 5a)

This looks like a female Cardinal to me. I've seen them both lower and raise their crests.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Ditto to female Cardinal.

Resin

Hmm, maybe the photo I posted wasn't so good. I'll post another one. This bird is a lot smaller than a female cardinal which I have quite a few of here in the yard.

This message was edited Jan 8, 2012 8:07 PM

Another picture of the crested bird. This photo may be better than the previous one I posted. This bird doesn't appear to have the reddish-orange beak of the female cardinal.

Thumbnail by chris1948
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Tufted titmouse.

Thank you, appreciate the identification.

Chris

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

After looking at both photos again, the first one is female cardinal and the second is tufted titmouse.

Near Central, IA(Zone 5a)

I agree with thebestmissy. :) They are different birds. I like the tufted titmice, but they are hard (at least for me) to photograph. They are active little things.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.