Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Questions about Epie Plant growth...

Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

I have an FDR Epie that is three years old and seems to have a lot of very stringy growth. Strands are about 6 inches long and grow as if massed together. Is this how it is supposed to look? The cutting the plant came from looked like a normal epie segment. What happened? bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I have 2 Epis--for years now! None of them have thorns at each bump in the "leaves"....
What you have may be a form of Rhipsalis cactus....NOT an expert on these!
This is such a wide variety of class of plants!

Here are my two Epis last November--hanging in my LR. Quite different---NO?

They sure grow long and lanky--and you can do nothing to change that....
They will bloom when they choose to bloom----mostly--they have to achieve a state of
being root bound and also of overall health of growth.

Let them be! Let them get all rootbound! Transplant when they reach this state--and they will perk up
and--maybe--bloom for you the next year...

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Here was my surprise last year.

I have had this for 6 years now. It got all dessicated and dried up in 2910.
I was sure it was dead!!! This was growing--extremely root-bound--in a 5" ceramic pot.
I resurrected a couple of the fronds that still looked like they had some life left in them.

Combined them with a couple of recently rooted sections in a 10" HB and hoped for the best...

WELL! That summer--it just blew me away!!!!! It bloomed for the first time in the most amazing
flowers I have ever seen!!!!

Hoping I will have an encore this summer-in June...
I just think they do their own thing when they are "happy"--and there is not much you can do to
change that....

Here was the blooms that just blew me away last summer....

Thumbnail by Gitagal
Deep Run, NC(Zone 7b)

This is a picture of FDR. Look at the small stems. Is this normal?

Thumbnail by orchidman1
Pawleys Island, SC

Bob, I don't know if it's "normal", but 1 of my noid pinks has broad leaves at the base and then tons of skinny stringy leaves like yours at the edges. BTW, your cuttings are on the way.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.