-
AuthorContent
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2012
7:23 PM

Post #8959948

I always have so much to say about tomatoes, this tomato, that tomato, a pic of this and that and I always have a picture of something...I just wanted a spot where I can post anything about tomatoes without starting a hundred different topics... and anyone from anywhere can chime in. I am not in zone 8 and I am not in zone 10 and not in zone 5...somewhere in between. : )

How bout this weather===wondering if we are going to have a winter. I think the north used up all the snow last year and didn't save any for this year.

Here is a pic of a Brandywine I grew...not sure if i posted it anywhere. Been so busy couldnt tell if i was coming or going.
It cracked when I was trying to get it off the cluster stem.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #8959952

I had to go back and hunt down my last group of tomato pictures back in July to see where I had left off. I didn't leave much off. Here I thought I was going to post some pictures and already did in July. I'mmma dork. Might have a few that I haven't posted.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #8959954

closest up= brandywine

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #8959957

oh yeh===I grew the Tommy Toe...it was a beautiful plant. The only plant that did not have a fungus. Huge---about 10 feet tall when I chopped it down...the tomatoes were BLAH. to me they had no flavor. What a huge disappointment.

tommy toes up front. growing in 4 gallon pots. several vines each.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #8959964

I grew a Black Knight. no flavor. blah.
I grew the Big Beef open pollinated-----not the hybrid-------it was ok. The Big Beef Hybrid produced more.
Grew the Giant Tree which are in the pic above next to the tommy toes.. It grew tall for sure. I couldn't tell much difference between the PLants of the Giant Tree and the Brandywine that were growing on the other end of the bed. I liked the Brandywine fruit better. It might be a mental thing.

A basket of Brandywine fruit. Big basket===huge fruits.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 8, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #8959970

I was not impressed with any of the heirlooms that i grew...cherokee purple, caspian pink, indian stripe, gee , I grew so many...I kept going back to the Big Beef, Brandywine, Better Bush, Sweet Million Cherry...and I like the Pineapple. Others that I like but have not grown in a while are the Celebrity and the Better Boy. I tried the Atkinsons too...they were pretty good. Produced abundantly until the heat beat them down. Nice size toms too. I didn't even give them much care. No telling what they would of done if I gave them the attention they needed.
Atkinsons were actually bred here in Alabama for Alabama climate.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 9, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #8960339

"Big Beef open pollinated-----not the hybrid-------it was ok. The Big Beef Hybrid produced more."

Totally agree. The OP version just isn't worth the space for me but the hybrid is a tough one to beat. I even found the hybrid to be better tasting.

Really surprised you didn't like Cherokee Purple, Caspian Pink or Indian Stripe that much. I've had off years with each but for the most part they are back every year.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #8962187

I have tried almost all the ones you named, and I too liked the Pineapple. I used to grow Sweet Millions and liked them, but really prefer Sun Sugars now. That is all I grow in the cherry toms now.

I too am going back to the Celebrity, Oregon Spring, Early Girl, etc. I know they work, and are good. I had the Brandywines too, but you know, they only produced a couple of those giant tomatoes per plant. Too much work for that.

Who do you supply with tomatoes? You have a regular farm there.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #8962328

deleted... comment...for personal reasons

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 3:19 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 10, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #8962875

Good for you!! That is great. You must have a lot of energy. Hope you do good. Sure sounds like it. 12,000 plants is a lot of work besides tending your own and selling them. Good business!!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #8962963

Oh my goodness.
so - I thought i wanted to grow better bush in the garden but im getting mixed info about it's flavor and production and I thought it tasted
pretty good...but when somebody tells you they thought it had no flavor you start wondering if you have taste buds or did they disappear.
so confused right now.
You know=====spring fever when the brain starts tripping over itself.

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 3:19 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #8963335

Maybe you have so many different ones to compare that they are all running together now. Possibly you should figure out a way to maybe cut some up and have other people try them. Customers. When they come in give them a toothpick to pick the toms up with, and a paper towel. Let them see the difference. Get their opinions. Might help.

Put some little pencils and scraps of paper out and a suggestion box next to the samples. Might be fun. :0)
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 11, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #8963635

Some of the ones we like are Dlicious, Beauty King, Aussie, Eva Purple Ball, Black From Tula, Lady Lucy, Royal Hillbilly and Box Car Willie. These are always winners for me in zone 8B
~Susan
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #8963662

Hey Susan, how are you? The only one of those you list that I have tried is Box Car Willie and it has been so long I forgot what it was like. Last year was our weirdest weather here and the tomatoes came out with the best flavor. Go figure.

Normally, we don't get enough sun for them. The season didn't even get warm until almost July. Then the plants started growing. Really strange weather we are having. Again this year. No snow.

Jeanette
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #8963666

deleted .

Happy Gardening

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 3:21 PM
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 11, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #8963708

Hi Jeanette! Our weather has been crazy here, also. We actually ate 3 tiny tomatoes last night that we picked about a week ago ... whenever our last little cold snap was. They finally ripened. I've never eattened home grown tomatoes in January.

Cricket, I've grown the Goliath , and am pretty sure I don't have any, but let me check my seed stash. I'll let you know tonight. Have you checked Vicktery Seeds? I'm placing an order and could order them for you if that's all you need.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #8963791

I have checked Victory seeds for the heirloom goliath...not on file.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #8963795

found some Heirloom Goliath.

http://www.localharvest.org/goliath-heirloom-tomato-seeds-C21499

i am not sure about the company. Lazy ox farms ? 75 percent of their seeds are out of stock.

This message was edited Jan 11, 2012 6:12 PM
Pinetucky
Swainsboro, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #8964272

You might try Totally Tomatoes. They have several different Goliath varieties, including one they call Original Goliath and another named Old-Fashioned Goliath. I haven't tried these myself. My favorites are Big Beef Hybrid, Cherokee Purple, Indian Stripe, and Stump of the World.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #8964328

yeh, that Stump of the World has me curious.
I bought the orignal goliath hybrid and bush goliath at TT.
they didnt have the heirloom goliath. and i did read about the
Old Fashioned Goliath Hybrid... It kinda sounds like the heirloom.
The only reason I wanted heirloom was so i could save the seed.
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

January 11, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #8964347

Good luck finding your heirlooms! I grew the bush Goliath, not the heirloom. Didn't have any left. That was back in 2009. Hope you find some. ☺
TomVa
Central, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #8966360

see I grew the black brandywine and the red brandywine last season,loved them both also grew cherokee purple and it was my favorite most definetly.This year I ordered Arkansas traveler and Keloggs breakfast to try.I also grew rutgers wasnt impressed. Giant belgiums which were huge and pretty good.Paul Robeson's are on the small side but quite tasty and very very prolific.Rutgers and Oxhearts wont make the cut to get grown this year

Thumbnail by TomVa

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #8966439

Tom, did you like Kelloggs Breakfast? I grew them too, but my labels got mixed up so not sure which they were. Jeanette
TomVa
Central, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #8966446

Jeanette,I just got the seed's this year for them,I will definetly let you know this fall though,My grandfather grew a big yellow tomato,I bet it was kelloggs breakfast and he just didnt know the name of it,Hopefully I will like it.Anyways it's fun to grow new one's and sample them...Tom
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #8966734

in another forum there was a topic started about a trash can cucumber.

what we gonna do here is...cut the top of my head off...wiggle around in there with a stick...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1054483/

So--as i mentioned over there...I want to adventure this with a tomato plant... Nothing ventured=nothing gained.

Taking a 30 gallon trash can and lid. Cutting a small hole to the side of the lid to hold a small mesh container of soil and tomato pant.
Cutting another hole on the opposite side to slide a PVC watering pipe through to the bottom===like they do for those eco buckets.
Since tomatoes drink more water than cucumbers, it will have to be refilled with nutrient water on a regular basis==unlike that cucumber in the trash can.
I'm doing it... Do you want to give it a try? You have nothing to loose...you gained another trash can.

This message was edited Jan 13, 2012 8:52 PM
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #8967203

"...wiggle around in there with a stick.."

Hah! Too funny, Cricket. (I think my head would only require a toothpick sometimes!)

Go for it. I've done lettuce and a few other things hydroponically but used perlite as an anchor medium. I read about the cukes year before last but never followed through with trying it. I'll be watching your progress.

Shoe
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

January 16, 2012
1:04 AM

Post #8969442

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/Goliath

When looking for seed sources, don't forget Tania Tomato data base. Scroll down on every variety page to see the seed sources if indeed there is a seed source.

Above is a link to the heirloom Goliath and Tomato Growers Supply has it for 2012.

Tania can't fill in all those for 2012 until all catalogs and websites are updated. With over 3,000 varieties in her data base it then takes her lots of time to update everything.

Carolyn
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #8969609

thank you Carolyn. I went to tomatogrowers.com and found the heirloom Goliath. :)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #8969899

Tom, Pineapple is a real good one too. Jeanette
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #8972157

I always said I was not an expert with growing tomatoes and it shows everyday that I learn something new.

I just read some information about tomato problems and I sit here stunned.
I never knew that heavy low pruning will make the first sets of tomatoes ripen quicker.
did you know that? I am still trying to put that together. I am just the type of person that needs small details
as how something works.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2012 10:27 PM

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 3:24 PM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #8972537

what do you mean by "low pruning " ?
When I get the first bloom, I normally remove all the leaves below.
Is this what you are talking about?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #8972575

Yes . That is the low pruning I am talking about.
I don't remove all the leaves below the first bloom cluster until
it's almost time for them to ripen and I prune many leaves near harvest.
When they bloom, I only remove a few leaves at the base that are touching the soil cause
they need the leaves for better production. Photosynthesis . Sunlight feeds the leaves and leaves
feed the plant and fruit.(simplified explanation)
Now I found out that the heavy low pruning near harvest makes them ripen quicker. I would love to understand this one.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #8972713

quicker ... aaahh
Here they ripen too quick when it gets to be May ...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #8972876

I normally low prune heavily but don't know that it affected the ripening. I don't fertilize much, but don't get yellow plants either. Not too sure we are on the same page on these. I normally prune a lot of the leaves etc half way thru the season. Limbs that do not have any fruit etc. I start watching since our season is so short, and get rid of anything that is not going to be productive.

Then about the last month I take the tops off. Above the last green tomato, even if it has blossoms. Depending on how long I have left weatherwise, I might even take some of the smaller tomatoes off also.

Difference between night and day. Your season and mine.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #8973257

yes I also trim the lower branches after I have finished to harvest the tomatoes ... in this way the plant stay much cleaner and diseases free.
I normally have 3 months of fantastic tomatoes here in Dallas. From beginning of April, May, June and some in July (depending on how early the heat will arrive)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #8973372

LOL, I can't even plant until the end of May. Plants I have started in the house about mid April.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #8973563

I feel your pain Jnette. I watch zone 8, 9 and 10 get their plants started while 6,5,4 watches me get mine started. But see, you have the upper hand. Zone 10 can already tell you which tomato variety is a bad idea before you ever sow your seeds. LOL. I just thought it was funny and A bright side of having to wait.

I have sown a few tomato seed and transplanted them already into 4inch cups. I wanted an extra early crop to have for sale during the plant sales. But I didn't do very many. I think I counted 40 Big Beef, 16 Brandywine, 5 Sweet Million cherry, 6 Lemon Boy, and 12 Better Bush. Along with some pepper and eggplants. All will be grown in 5 gallon pots. The Better Bush and Pepper Plants will be in 5 gallon buckets with lids. (not eco buckets)
I have sown tomato plants for the Tomato Greenhouse. About 412. Big Beef, Sweet Million, Brandywine.
I don't sow my garden tomato plants for another 4 weeks yet. Which will be all those other varieties I listed.
I think it's gonna be a fun year.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #8973567

Cricket, I used to plant Sweet Millions, loved them. Until I tried my sister's Sun Sugars. They are really better. Wish you would try a few anyway. Jeanette
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #8973613

I found Sunsugar at totallytomatoes. It is a hybrid.
I will try it.
I will grow some for the customers too.
I am tempted to try a black cherry too. No idea which one.

This message was edited Jan 18, 2012 10:27 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 18, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #8973619

You'll love the Sun Sugars.
muck4doo
Austin, TX

January 18, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #8973679

My tomatoes adventures mostly involved the times they were either hacked, slashed, or cooked alive and made into something tasty. :)

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #8973858

I do some hacking and slashing too. Me and my mom canned enough tomatoes that I ended up with 75 quarts and she ended up with about 30. It wasn't enough for me. We are low on tomatoes now. We are building a house. When the tomatoes were ready to to harvest, I didn't even have exterior walls on the house. I was living in a 12x24 shed. That is a story all by itself over in the homesteading forum.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #8974075

I'm interested in the Sun Sugars- I checked my catalogs and it is a hybrid, so no seed savging. I only have space for 1 or 2 plants, and hate to buy a package and pay the shipping. Would anyone have a few extra seeds to spare for SASE? I would really appreciate it. I didn't grow any cherries last year but want some this year. I found the Sweet 100's & Sweet Million split way too much.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 19, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #8974201

Jo, I will look. Jeanette
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #8974275

Big Beef Hybrid
Big Beef OP
Goliath Hybrid
Goliath Bush Hybrid
Goliath Heirloom
Celebrity Hybrid
Better Bush Hybrid
Pantano Romanesco
Big Zac Hybrid
Mortage Lifter
Delicious
Pineapple
Brandywine
Brandywine Red
Large Red
Super Sioux
Cherokee Purple
Beefsteak
Beefmaster Hybrid
Heinz
Atkinsons
Black Cherry Hybrid
Chocolate Cherry Hybrid
Sweet Million Cherry Hybrid
Sunsugar Cherry Hybrid

The End. no more this year.
All seeds have been ordered or already here.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #8975517

Well, shoot, girl. Did you leave any seeds at the supplier? LOL!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #8975902

I sure did.
When I am reading what others are growing and they have these big long list, I wonder how in the world
they keep up with them all. But a few weeks later my list ends up being almost as long as theirs.
So how do I keep up with mine? I dunno, but it will be fun trying to plant them here, there, out back, out front, over yonder
and on top of that.

@@
<
-----
Goldrusher
Crane Lake, MN

January 21, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #8976882

cricket...how do you market all those seedlings? I grow only a couple thousand and
sell them along the roadside but have a capacity to probably grow 4,000.

IMO, you ought to try Momotaro (hybrid, not OP). It is wonderful.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 21, 2012
8:40 PM

Post #8977180

I live in the country, but on a busy highway. We chose this land because it was a good location for business. It is half a mile from the elementary school. I also put a business sign at the end of the road which is only 2 miles away. We also take a few plants to the flea market on the weekends. We gained customers to the greenhouse by telling the customers at the flea market where we are located. Those customers told other people. I now have customers coming here from other counties. I could sell more than what I already grow but I am the only one working here with the plants. But my husband takes the plants to the market for me while I stay here and continue to sell and tend to the plants. In addition to tomato plants, I also grow other veggie plants, bedding plants, hanging baskets. etc... A 20x96 greenhouse, 24x74 greenhouse, 16x96 underconstruction , 16x24 seed house, and another 24x74 under construction.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 21, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #8977194

Girl you are going to work yourself to death.

Your husband needs to hang a sign up at the flea market when he goes. If he is busy he may not have time to tell people about your place. But it sounds like you are plenty busy anyway.

How much property do you have?

I've never heard of that tomato Goldrusher. I will have to query it.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #8977339

I have seen the Momotaro on a few list but I have to wait and try it another year. Self Discipline.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2012
9:22 AM

Post #8977590

Self what?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #8977605

LOL, I think someone read your list Cricket.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #8977619

No, I meant that I dont have any self control. LOL I never know what Im going to grow until the seed is sown. This Jan. has been so warm my mind thinks its later in the season then it is. Yes, I am trying Momotaro this year.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #8977633

We will have to remember to post all of our opinions of it. I googled it and one fellow had a long article about it saying it was the most popular tomato in Japan, but he did not really say how long the growing season etc. were. I have such a short season that I try to stick to those tomatoes rather than the larger ones.
Goldrusher
Crane Lake, MN

January 22, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #8978351

To any of you that plan to try Momotaro. Make sure that the seed is of the
hybrid and not OP. (Wow, I never thought I would ever say that!)

I can certainly understand why it is the most popular tomato in Japan.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #8979051

I didnt know there was an O/P version. I didnt think I would have it on my HAVE TO TRY LIST, it will only be the 4th hybrid Ive grown in years.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #8979272

Hate to appear stupid, but what does OP mean?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #8979590

Jnette-OP= Open Pollinated. Seeds saved from hybrids don't usually produce true offspring, whereas OP do.

Ray_Der_Phan

Ray_Der_Phan
Oceanside, CA
(Zone 10a)

January 23, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #8979683

I've grown Momotaro for a few years. Never heard it being anything else besides a hybrid. There's an OP version?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #8979798

LOL, you're right Jo, I had forgotten. BTW, your seeds went out today. No tracking number. Unless I remember to tell him, Bob forgets to get them too. And, I didn't know he was going to mail it and didn't get bubble wrap in it so had to put a paper towel in. They will be fine. LOL, we did remember to have it handstamped. Since I had written on it.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #8979820

Thanks, Jeannette
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #8979860

So what is the actually character difference between this Momo OP and Momo hybrid? Why is the hybrid better?
Goldrusher
Crane Lake, MN

January 23, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #8979906

WinterSown sells the OP, while TomatoGrowers and Kitazawa Seed both sell the
hybrid. I can't answer the question on the differences (yet...as I will grow out both
this summer), but I have been advised several time to get the hybrid as the OP is
not nearly as good. Usually, I get claims that the OP of a variety is better than the
hybrid. So, as of yet I am only passing on advice that was given to me.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #8979976

Very interesting. Think I will go with the hybrid.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2012
9:49 AM

Post #8981821

Did I mention, I am trying a few (23) tomato plants in Hanging 5 gallon buckets this year. They will be planted in the top of the bucket and NOT upside down. It is suppose to be less trouble tending to the plants but still need moderate pruning and I am just curious to see how it works out. Plus, I will be using the Lid too. Drill a hole in the center of the lid for the plant and a hole to the edge for watering and fertilizing. Drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage. Using 2/3 promix and 1/3 compost for the soil mixture.
Yep...they are the orange HOME DEPOT buckets.
Will grow them in the greenhouse sitting on the tables for a long while...then when the weather permits, I will be hanging them outdoors.
My brain has a visual issue with it. If there is one plant in each bucket, when it starts to fall over and hang down, the plant weight will only be on one side of the bucket. I don't like this visual thought. Maybe I should put two plants in it and make sure one falls to each side of the bucket.

What do you think?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #8981824

I see what you mean. Wonder if the type of plant makes a difference. Would you do determinate, or indeterminate? Huge, fruit, or medium, or small? Maybe a determinate with huge fruit on one side and an indeterminate with med on the other. LOL, A lot of options.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 25, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #8981933

Cricket, that is how I would do it. I don't see the logic of planting them upside down- it makes them grow against their natural habit. I don't know about 2 in a 5 gal pot- pretty crowded-? Maybe you could train 2 leaders of one plant- one down each side?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #8981959

Only ONE large indeterminate per 5-gallon bucket, please.

Ask me how I know...

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #8982469

lol Linda. How do you know?

yes Indeterminates. large fruit= Big Beef and Cherries
VitaVeggieMan
Clifton, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #8983981

I'll be interested to see how a beefsteak indeterminate does in a hanging bucket. I'd be worried about the weight of the fruits causing the stem to break where it bends over the top of the bucket. Plus, you're going to have to hang it WAY UP HIGH!

I've grown cherries in hanging baskets for the past several years, but only varieties that are bred for this purpose, e.g., Tumbling Tom, Maskotka, Lizzano, Terrenzo. With these varieties, I usually put 2-4 plants per basket, and it does help to balance the container and make it less tippy.

Sounds like a fun experiment!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #8984065

Don't know until you try it. Whats to lose? A tomato plant.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #8984842

That is a scary thought Vita. Horrifying thought.
I have thought about it...but keep pushing the thought over to the corner trying to ignore it cause it messes up my
adventure...but since it is a very good point...gosh gee golly... maybe I should rethink...

(thinking)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2012
8:03 PM

Post #8984888

thought=
Many gardeners grow their tomato plants in cages. They let them grow up and over , back down to the ground over the wire cage.
I have never done this. Do the stems break when they fall over the cages and hang down?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #8986111

I think we all have had tomato plants that have hung over the wire cages and the stems are thick. Some scab over. It's not like you just dropped it over the wire. They grew there and gradually adjusted to the weight.

Don't know. But, if it were the whole plant on one stem, then I might think not. But if you let several stems spread out, it probably would.

REally, all the tomatoes you are growing, why not try it. One tomato plant, if you lose it, isn't going to send you to the poor house.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #8986128

True.
I have searched the web many many times trying to find pictures or someone who grew the tomato out the top of the pot and let it hang down but I haven't found anything...notta. nothing, zip, zero!
All were upside down.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #8986156

I tried that, using a 5 gallon bucket. But the tomato plant is bred to grow up. Needless to say, they did not do well that way. I suppose if you used the tomatoes like Vita said, but those are all cherries.

Guess you need to do it yourself and take pictures and post them.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #8986343

Doodling

Topsy Turvy
Hanging in 5 gallon upright
5 gallon twined overhead support, pruned
50 gallon soil, caged, lightly pruned
35 gallon trash can , water nutrient, caged, pruned
Earthbox, caged, two plants, pruned
Garden Soil, caged, lightly pruned
4 to 5 gallon pots, three plants with single vine, twined over head support= time consuming
4 gallon , one plant, 3 vines, overhead support twine= time consuming
4 gallon , two plants, single vine, over head support.=time consuming

not doodled= single vine plants in grow beds, double row, 3ft wide bed, plants 8 inch apart, overhead support with twine.( my favorite but very time consuming)

unable to delete photo

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 3:25 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #8986348

deleted

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 3:34 PM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #8986369

deleted

happy gardening

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 3:22 PM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #8986437

happy gardening

This message was edited Jan 29, 2012 3:17 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #8986606

LOL, sounds like you have had quite a day Cricket. :0)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #8986836

Roops. It seems I have given out too much informaton about my personal gardening life that has caused it to be critisized. I deleted a lot of that information. I don't mean to upset anyone...at all. I just don't know what to say right now.

Happy Gardening
Spring is around the corner.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #8987370

All my seedlings are just that. Wee babes. I don't have much to show and tell right now. I will surely post when I do. Meanwhile, i will be over in the Homesteading forums===updating our house construction and decor.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 29, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #8987507

LOL, you mean to tell us that you are doing these seedlings and building a home too????? Wow, wish I had even a touch of your energy. I am going over there to see what you are up to. Jeanette Don't worry, I will leave you alone over there. :0)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 30, 2012
7:52 AM

Post #8987878

Dang! I missed it. Lol
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #8988064

I have to say that this lady and her husband are amazing and that is putting it mildly. I spent 3 hours reading her first thread last night and every picture along the way was absolutely unbelievable. She even had a garden etc. growing all the time they were building on their home.

And the home itself is really something. When I have a few spare hours I am going to get to the next one. Really neat to see someone with enough energy and ability to take on something as huge a project as this.

Way to go Cricket!!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #8989255

What was that word you all were using? Self-disp...???? Can't even bring myself to type it!

DH and I started our own business 15 years ago. We used up our quota of s/d (must use acronym, cannot spoil the garden with it) and then some down through the years. I'm not complaining--it was worth it to us and now our kids. But when I go out to garden I just throw caution to the wind and charge right in. I have to get it out of my systems somehow =D! Tomatoes and zucchini and roses...Oh my!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #8989949

my self discipline flew out the window when I ordered 3 more tomato varieties and then felt bad cause i didn't order that MOMO ching chong tomato...dunno where to get it.

any-whos. what did i add... crud...where is my list ?

revised.

4 of each of these will be sown Feb 4th. Will be pruned to 3 vines per plant. So they can be compared...ripen about the same time...
Tomato tasting Pic-a-nic...estimated around mid June.
Pantana Romanesco
Big Beef OP
Big Beef Hybrid
Goliath Hybrid
Goliath OP
Bush Goliath
Large Red
Super Sioux
Cherokee Purple
Red Brandywine
Brandywine
Pineapple
Kelloggs Breakfast
Beefmaster Hybrid
Beefsteak
Delicious
Big Zac
German Giant
Mortgage Lifter
Lemon Boy
White Bianca
Heinz
Sweet Million Cherry
Black Cherry
Chocolate Cherry
SunSugar Cherry
Better Bush
Atkinsons
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #8990166

You have no self discipline and either do i but you do have a dmail.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #8994627

I transplanted my second batch of tomato seedlings today.

they are in a 6ft x 24ft mini hoop house that is inside a big greenhouse. Extra protection . No wind. Less heating expense.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 3:32 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 4, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #8994636

the first batch is growing...slowly but surely. I been holding back the fertilizer due to cloudy rainy days which is sticking around forever.

I sow my third batch of personal tomatoes tonight.
And my list grew a little more due to the Tomato Tasting Pic-A-Nic suggested by Jnette.

This message was edited Feb 4, 2012 3:29 PM

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #8995594

Gosh Cricket, your plants look great. When can you plant out in your area? When do you start selling to the public?

Do you repot, up pot, just the once, or do you have another one in between those 2? That might be where I make my mistake. I seed first in small 1" 6 packs, and then into 3 or 4" pots, and then gallons. Maybe I am losing time by disturbing their roots twice??? What do you think?

My problem is that I don't have room for gallon pots where they will get light so would end up with weak leggy plants.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
11:48 AM

Post #8995613

Jnette, most of what I've read says that one or two repots gives you better root systems. As for me, I repot whenever time slips by and it becomes necessary! (I'm not too scientific!) I'm sure there are opinions pro & con for multiple repotting- makes for very interesting reading! Are you having freezing fog today as we are?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 5, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #8995815

that freezing fog is soooo cool.

Transplanting into a larger deeper pot makes a stronger plant but so does transplanting deep into the garden. We transplant into larger pots cause we start the plants extra early and need to pot up cause its running out of room in it's previous pot.
If you had an extra trash can, you could actually grow a couple tomato plants outdoors during the day in larger pots...by sitting them in the trash can, which blocks cold wind, and they get bright light at the top shining in all day. If it is really cold, you can drape plastic half way over the top and hold it down with blocks. Bring the plants in at night. The trash can Can hold 3 to 4 gallon pots.

All my tomato plants currently growing are my Personal tomato plants.
I don't start tomato plants for the public until 1st of March. (for 6 packs and small single plants)

I wanted to grow some plants in the 5 gallon buckets with lids hanging up somewhere because the 5 gallon buckets were cheaper than Topsy Turvys.
Well, I found a sale on the internet for topsy turvys that is cheaper than the 5 gallon buckets with lids. $1.99 each
Also they had the strawberry topsy turvys for $1.99. I was beside myself. yes I ordered Many.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2012
8:56 PM

Post #8996193

Very interesting. Post a picture of them.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #8996333

you want me to post a picture of all the turvys when they get here? thats interesting too.
I ordered a lot of strawberry roots and I was going to build table top gardens for them until I came
across the sale on turvys. I decided I would try the strawberry turvys.

http://www.acehardware.com/search/index.jsp?kwCatId=&kw=topsy turvy&origkw=topsy turvy&sr=1
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 6, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #8996481

That price for TT is good- but good luck with them- I tried one 2 years ago, and in spite of giving it 3 gallons of water every day is wasn't worth the trouble. We have hot winds here and it just isn't practical. Some of you will most likely do well with them. I sure want to see photos! I had put Husky Red Cherry Tomato in mine, and it seemed like it was a good choice until i gave up on it. I certainly wouldn't pay the $9.99 original price they wanted!!!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #8996598

LOL, no, just one of the great buy turvys. Nevermind, I looked at your link. That is a good buy.

I tried them when the idea first came out and, like Jo, it was a waste of time, water, fertilizer, soil mix etc. Tomatoes, like most other plants, just aren't meant to grow that way. Guess there are some people however, that had good crops with them so could be the tomatoes that we picked were wrong or????
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 6, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #8996762

Me dunno but me gonna find out.
But I am also using many of the tomato turvys to grow wave petunias in out the top
A few cucumbers, a few cherry tomatoes, and one big beef tomato.

I have noticed that there is mixed opinions on the turvys.
I really don't mind watering it. I been watering container gardening for years.
I think once people skipped a watering or two, the soil dried up too much and was having a hard time
moistening it down again and most of their water was flowing out the bottom and didn't have a chance to soak .
Peat based soils are hard to moisten once they have dried up too much. You have to flood the pot to get it back to a moist schedule again.
The same thing happens with those EBs .
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9000179

The topsy turvy holds 4.5 gallons of soil and I have been growing in 4 gallon pots.
The largest I let the tomato plants get in the 4 gallon pots is 4 vines per plant for watering once a day.
It can handle more than that if I watered twice a day.
I think soil selection is the key to using topsy turvy just like soil selection is important in any container gardening.. (pro-mix with vermiculite)
I also think like this= Roots grow down and not up. That is why the topsy turvy suggest planting a tomato plant with as much stem into the turvy as you can possibly get. They don't explain it in great detail but the reason is so that there is more feeder roots near the top of the turvy as you can get it since most of those roots will be going down and not up which means the upper portion of the turvy is a waste of soil holding moisture if the roots are not growing in that area. I am not good at explainging things but I hope yall can piece it together.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9000190

this

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 9, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9000197

http://indianapublicmedia.org/amomentofscience/how-roots-know-to-grow-down/
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9004087

Well...Flitter!!!!
Our first deep freeze night was last night.
Just my luck that I would forget to close one end of the mini hoop.
Lost at least half of the tomato plants.
Gotta Regroup.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9004362

Oh, what a shame. The mini hoop is the one inside the big one? That is terrible. I'm sorry. I did that last year and it was too late to start over so I ended up getting some from a woman who grows several thousand and sells them. They were the end of her crop so all the labels were wrong. I didn't know which were which. Even after they were big and ripened 'cause I was trying new ones.

Back to the turvy for a minute. Why would the top soil be wasted on a tomato if you plant it deep in the first place? Wouldn't the whole stem, even in the top soil, grow more roots? I thought that was why we plant them deep to get a good heavy stem with a lot of roots. I would think that would aid in anchoring your plant in your turvy.
WayneKY
Cadiz, KY

February 12, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9004481

As an old farmer, I'd like to challenge the idea that roots grow down. Statocytes aside it has always been my observation that roots grow toward the moisture or nutrients that they need. A friend of mine had a willow tree on one side of his house and septic field on the opposite side. Willow roots from the tree found his septic field tile and clogged it. Probably an over simplification on root growth but I think that there is much more involved than gravity.

Having said this, I know nothing about topsy turvey tomatoes but it seems to me that the more stem that is in the soil, the more roots that will grow from that stem.

This message was edited Feb 12, 2012 8:44 PM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #9004646

that turvy description i drew was for hanging upside down and comparing deep vs shallow. It's the shallow that is wasted soil while grown upside down

Yes the willow roots grew out to the side to find the water but they never grew UP

This message was edited Feb 12, 2012 9:33 PM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #9004649

oh yeh. it is a landscaping rule to plant a willow at Least 100 feet away from septic lines.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 12, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #9004738

Ok, I was still thinking about your hanging them and letting them go over the side. So, still plant them deep. Deep being as high as you can in the bucket, then letting roots grow from the stem. Can't understand tho, why anyone would plant them thru a hole in the bottom instead of letting them hang over the side. Especially if you have 4 stems from the plant and spread them out.

I know, experiment? Or something. Didn't work for me. I am thru joining your discussion Cricket. Jeanette
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9004850

I personally have no desire to grow the tomatoes upside down. But there are a few people who have grown them upside down already and did not have much luck with watering. I was trying to give them hope that it can work if it is done correctly. They also didn't like that they had to water it every day but the facts are..rather it be in a 4 to 5 gallon bucket/ pot upright or upside down in 4 to 5 gallons...you have to water every day and sometimes twice a day.
I had plants in 25 gallon pots and the plants were huge and I had to water those every day too after they were huge and in full production.
The only way to cut down on watering time is to grow them in the ground and or put them on an automatic watering system.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9005314

Something to look at while I wait for the seedlings to grow.

http://cricketsgreenhouse.blogspot.com/2010/10/tomatoes-years-past.html

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9005454

OMG !!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 13, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #9005837

Are you ok drthor?

tomatoes are my hobby and occupation. I live, breath, eat, and smell tomatoes. My hobby grew and grew until it became an occupation.
I needed a way to support my obsessive hobby.
I thought of other occupations. Went to college and everything. Even graduated with 3.94 gpa... Accounting and Bookkeeping.(i love math and construction)
But I could never pull myself away from what I love to do the most ...even if it doesn't make me rich. Plus , I wanted to stay home with my baby(1999). Opened a greenhouse business in 2000.

19 years ago, I planted a tomato plant with a 10 ft stake beside it and a man saw my stake and laughed in my face and said I had HIGH HOPES... the rest is written history.

Happy Gardening
Cricket / Carolyn

This message was edited Feb 13, 2012 10:10 PM

This message was edited Feb 13, 2012 10:13 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 13, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9005847

Your story sounds like mine but my business is different, smaller but growing. As much as I can handle ATM. The college degree in Biology and Chemistry does help tho.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 14, 2012
5:41 AM

Post #9006081

wow again
Congrats !!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 15, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9007862

strawberry and tomato turvys arrived today.
Strawberries arrived today.
Busy Busy.
Won't be home tomorrow...gotta take son to his dr appt at childrens hospital.
Running behind.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 15, 2012
1:48 PM

Post #9007944

Cricket,
Your operation is amazing! Thanks for showing that the tomatoes can be grown fairly close together, without suffering any ill effects. Your's are far closer than I've ever put mine together.

And, looking at your pics, I'm now wondering about lighting conditions in your greenhouse. Doesn't seem to be a huge amount of light on the individual plants, especially with the canopy growing so dense. Is it?

Linda

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 16, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9008629

The plants seem to get all the light they need with great production.

This year I will be growing single vine plants 8 inches apart.
I will be growing them in the greenhouse grow beds.
Crossing my fingers that all will last several months into production without fungal problems from the soil.
I will be removing the poly off the greenhouse when the temps get to high. (anything long period above 100)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9014837

slowly but surely

Sown Feb 4

Get transplanted tomorrow

This message was edited Feb 21, 2012 2:29 PM

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden
Click an image for an enlarged view.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #9014894

Gymgirl
I also plant my tomatoes close together ... I am a "squeezer" ...
The secret is to keep removing the suckers to let the plant concentrating in fruits production.

CricketsGarden
WOW or like we say in Italian: MAMMA MIA !
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9016334

I am glad I checked the calendar before I transplanted. Today was a Barren day. Tomorrow is the better day. Not perfect but not barren and these seedlings and other seedlings need to be transplanted.

the strawberry turvys.
and two tomato turvys.
I know. I said It wasn't right to grow a tomato upside down. I still don't think it's right but will do it anyway just for the sake of saying I tried it and lots of people ask me what I think about it. I can never give an answer. I have no idea.
So far, one tomato turvy has a cherry tom planted in the top of the turvy and another one has a big beef out the bottom.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9016335

roops

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 22, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9016662

Very interesting. Be sure to post pictures later.
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9017066

Looks like a good start on the year, CricketsGarden!

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9017241

Cricket...as in cricketsgarden...not!...it should be called "cricketstomatofactory"...I would have never believed you could grow 8' tomatoes in a 4 gal pot...and healthy plants at that, in Alabama (the heat and humidity capital of the US besides Houston Tx). You have truely mastered the art or science of tomato production. I am amazed and I've been growing them for 40 years. I learned here today that one shouldn't listen to what the "experts" tell you what you must do IE: 24-36" apart in at least 5 and preferably 7 gal containers, etal. As far as the Topsy Turveys I can't understand why one would try to plant a tomato that way. It's against its nature. Just plant it in the top of the container and let the stems cascade down over the container when they become laden with fruit. When I experimented with it, it was because exactly as you said..the roots were too close to the bottom of the container and had no desire to grow up. And as well, they drowned because the bottom of the container was saturated and the top of the container dry. Again it isn't in their nature. Thanks for showing the pictures. It invigorated my creative juices.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9017704

Hey riceke. I laughed when I saw the name of the town you live in. Snellville. That's too funny.
My sister lives on Slicklizzard Rd 3 miles from me. Funny how people come up with the darnest names for towns and roads.
Thanks for the compliments.
Actually, the tomato vines that were growing out the top of the 8ft greenhouse frame were 12 feet tall...had been lowered a few times and still grew beyond the height of the greenhouse. They got chopped down Aug 5 year 2004 or 5. That was sad.

Found someone with rabbits who does not save their manure. Waiting to find out if I can have the manure on a regular basis. I have 10 rabbits and two does will have babies first week in March. Lots of rabbit manure going in the tomato beds.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 23, 2012
9:04 PM

Post #9017830

Wow Cricket!! That is wonderful. Nothing as good as rabbit poo. The best. Good for you.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9017905

Crickets
I have a pet rabbit and it's amazing how just one rabbit provides all of my needs in the way of organic manure fertilizer. And the best part is that you don't have to compost it first, just add it to your soil and it won't burn your plants.

ERNIECOPP
Vista, CA

February 24, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9018131

On the other hand, rabbit manure can be a terrible problem when it is delivered fresh each night by a smart wild rabbit. But he finally went in the trap, so now i will have to depend on the regular fertilizer.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9018166

erniecopp
I found a Non-Profit Rabbit Rescue Organization not far from me and went there to get some free manure (I made a small donation to the organization). I filled up 5 garbage bags with manure, but I also left the place with a cute little bunny, the one pictured below. I bet you could find a similar rabbit rescue near you. I also found several rabbit "ranchers" in the area on Craig’s List that were willing to give it to me or sell it to me for a cheap price.

Thumbnail by hrp50

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
7:56 AM

Post #9018197

CricketsGarden wrote:Hey riceke. I laughed when I saw the name of the town you live in. Snellville. That's too funny.
My sister lives on Slicklizzard Rd 3 miles from me. Funny how people come up with the darnest names for towns and roads.
Thanks for the compliments.
Actually, the tomato vines that were growing out the top of the 8ft greenhouse frame were 12 feet tall...had been lowered a few times and still grew beyond the height of the greenhouse. They got chopped down Aug 5 year 2004 or 5. That was sad.

Found someone with rabbits who does not save their manure. Waiting to find out if I can have the manure on a regular basis. I have 10 rabbits and two does will have babies first week in March. Lots of rabbit manure going in the tomato beds.

If you think Snellville, Slicklizzard is funny I knew someone who was from Toadsuck, Ark. I looked it up and sure enough they even have a Toadsuck Festival every year showing pictures of people licking frogs...eeeeeuuuuuuuww!
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9018223

Who was from Toadsuck? I remember giving them a really bad time.

"I have a pet rabbit and it's amazing how just one rabbit provides all of my needs" For some reason that is really making me laugh. ATM I really need it so Thank you. I have one rabbit and feel the same way. Never thought of going to a rescue place but I would leave with another rabbit and that I dont need. Never thought of checking Craigs list, hrr50 you are a wealth of information!
terri_emory
Alba, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
9:07 AM

Post #9018277

Oh, gosh! I remember a childhood friend who had bunnies. Her dad rigged up a mobile rabbit hutch and moved the whole hutch back and forth across the veggie garden beds. I remember it was elevated and on wheels with wiring on for the hutch floor and all the rabbit pooh dropped right through to the bed below. I thought it was brilliant!

hrp50, that is one lovely bunny!

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9018399

hrp50
could you share the address of the Non-Profit Rabbit Rescue Organization, please?
It will be great for me ... and my DH will have stories to tell his friends for ages ...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #9018417

if you think the portable rabbit hutch is brilliant, you should check out the Garden Girl's chicken tractor on her website. It also fits on top of her 4x8 raised beds, and gets shifted around from bed to bed. Total brilliance!

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&sqi=2&ved=0CCgQtwIwAQ&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmlhJM15-4s&ei=--BHT8-lLaPIsQKPi6HrCA&usg=AFQjCNHLnoeB_LwSmP-Sv-OxnCs9iIiHng&sig2=8CO3i8CeotOmgtk5BEWGtw

I'm trying to figure out how to have laying hens without a rooster (too much noise and the neighbors would turn me in...)

But, I hear I've got to have a rooster in order to have eggs. Shoot!

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 1:17 PM

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 1:29 PM
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2012

Post #9018436

I don't understand why you have to have a rooster in order to have eggs. The chicken produces the eggs rather you have a rooster or not.
However, you do need a rooster if you want chicks.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9018439

You don't need to have a rooster to have eggs ...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #9018440

I luv you people...all I want are eggs...
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9018459

I have heard that they wont produce eggs unless there is a rooster around, why waste the energy if there is no chance of getting your genes into the next generation? However, I dont know if this is true because Ive always had a rooster, sometimes more roosters then hens. I think everything turns male once it hits my property line. lol
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9018485

No, if you want chicks like someone said, then you need the male bird. i.e. Rooster. LOL But, if you get chickens, depending on the breed etc. they lay eggs at certain ages and conditions I have heard. LOL So, if they don't produce an egg the first night, don't feel bad.

I had a hen sitting on a bucket of bolts in the garage one time. I couldn't get her to stay off of them. Poor thing, she was determined that those bolts were going to hatch.

But, I don't understand the business of having the chickens poop directly over the garden. Chicken poop is very high and hot in nitrogen. Seems to me fresh would really do a number on most plants.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9018490

I believe she rotates the tractor from bed to bed in her "off" season, so the chickens can work and fertilize the soil. Then, she moves them to another bed, lets the first one sit for awhile, then it's ready to plant...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
12:16 PM

Post #9018494

That makes sense. Thanks.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9018500

That makes sense. Thanks.

That would be necessary with chicken manure, but not rabbit. On most plants, now I am not sure on tender plants. I used the rabbit on raspberries. Piled it on straight and then put about 6 inches of sawdust, more nitrogen, on over the rabbit manure, and had the best and most berries ever.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
12:22 PM

Post #9018503

Then, I'd turn that into a bunny tractor...
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9018554

drthor
Here is the contact name (at least it was a year ago)

Diana Orr
WildRescue, Inc./Rabbit Rescue
1019 Aileen Street,
Denton, TX 76201.

facebook site is: http://www.facebook.com/WildRescueInc

I can't find the phone number.

I can almost promise you that if you visit the place, you will leave with at least one rabbit. Ours is a Mini Rex which I like because he is a lot smaller than most other breeds, with no loss of manure production if you get my drift.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 24, 2012
1:35 PM

Post #9018557

You mean there are rabbits that do NOT poop your hands?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9018559

Not if they are well trained like my Peter Rabbit is. He only goes in his litter box, just like a cat.

drthor
Do you recognize the green wire contraption in the picture? It is the compost bin I got from the compost class at NHG last year. It makes a great rabbit run when we let Peter exercise out in the back yard. However, we have been putting something over the top of it ever since we recognized a hawk was flying around overhead.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 3:52 PM

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #9018566

hrp50
thanks so much
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9018575

drthor
did you read my last post after I edited it to add a note directed to you?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9018580

Oh I am reading it now.

I was at the class too ... and I invited Mr. A.L. Nickerson to speak at our Garden Club last December.

Yes a lot of hawks here too.
I live near the DFW airport and somebody told me that the airport a few years ago bought a lot of baby hawks to control the small birds that will fly into the airplane engines.
So we have lots of hawks around here ... especially this year ... I see many huge black ones ...
I hope my Purple Martins will come back ... normally at this time of the season their scouts are already here ... sights ...
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9018599

Speaking of Purple Martins, how are your bats doing? Do they return every year? I'm still watching for a post of a picture of 100's of bats flying out of your bat house at sundown, pollinating your vegetables and eating all of the mosquitoes in the neighborhood.

This message was edited Feb 24, 2012 4:58 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #9018687

You don't have the cold weather like we have here do you? I have a dog crate I had to replace with the biggest one for my golden lab pup. I could use the other one. It is about 6 inches smaller. But, what would I do in the winter? Have to think on this.
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9018743

Jnette
If you are talking about using the old dog kennel for a rabbit cage, it could work. You would need something underneath it to catch the, well, you know where I'm going. And yes we do get cold weather here sometimes. You don’t remember the hullabaloo last year at the Super Bowl held here? We had a 2' snow and ice storm in February that lasted almost a week. We keep our bunny inside because he is pampered and we treat him like a VIR, very important rabbit.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9018851

ooohhhh
the BATS never came ...
I need to move the house ...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9018868

LOL, the OLD dog kennel was used 3 weeks. She outgrew it that fast. Eats a lot.

Guess that is what is tough about zone 5 and zone 8. How do you know? Guess you mulch good.

Drthor, ours show up the first of April. Wish you could have them. They don't need houses. They use mine. If I thought they would go to bat houses instead, I would put some up in a minute.

Craig's list has both Dwarf Hotot Bunnies and Double Lion's Mane, dwarf. Do you know anything about them, hrp50?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9018869

Probably neither one produces much poo?
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9018912

Isn't that a little extreme moving your house. Why don't you just relocate the bat house?

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9018931

grrr... I meant to move the bat house around ...
or maybe I shall just move if I don't resolve the Rose Rosette problem ...
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2012
7:10 PM

Post #9018961

My sister suggested that I turn the chickens loose in my greenhouse where the tomato beds are at a couple months before it is time to plant. It sounded like a great idea until I tried to catch the chickens. I think I will just sweep the coop barn and wheel barrow the litter to the grow beds.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9018970

sooo funny
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9019020

drthor
Oh, now you understand why MENSA keeps rejecting my request for a membership application.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 24, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9019086

hrp50, I didn't know you had to apply for that. I have known many people that belonged to it. Didn't know it was an ordeal to get in. Or were you being funny. LOL Sorry.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 24, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9019093

My rabbit lives in the kitchen 24/7, it uses a litter box. How would you get in MENSA unless you applied?

Cricket somebody wanted one of my peafowl I said fine, just catch it. Well the peafowl are still here and I had a great laugh.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9019529

Don't know about Mensa since I don't have to worry about it. LOL

There was an elderly man who was blind and walked with a white cane in our little town, and he took his walk, about a quarter mile every day along the highway here. There was a wild pheasant rooster that used to walk with him for some reason. When he would rest, sitting on the guard rail, the pheasant would hop up and sit with him.

One day a couple of people stopped their car and asked if they could have the pheasant. Not thinking they would be able to catch it, he said they could if they could catch it. Well, they walked right over and plucked it off the guard rail and drove away.

Moral of the story is, don't let people near your animals. It really takes nerve to ask someone if they could have them. They probably had his pheasant for dinner.

hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9019540

Jnette
regarding your comment and question about my MENSA comment, you're just going to have to figure out the correct answer on your own.(ha)
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9019697

:0)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9019993

Yawn. Is it bedtime yet?

I been working all day. I mixed 1/2 peat and 1/2 compost and filled 100 4 gallon pots. And transplanted a whole bunch of other stuff that does not pertain to tomatoes.

I filled and transplanted into 10 topsy turvys
I am trying 8 of the Big Beef tomato upright out the top of the topsy turvy and 3 sweet million cherry out the top. Still just the one big beef upside down and took a pic of the big beef upside down. It didn't have much sticking out the bottom of that turvy by the time I got through planting it as deep as I could. It has grown a few inches straight out at the bottom looking for light. Weird.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 25, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #9020055

Looks to me it is headed up. Just like they are meant to grow. Will probably only go down with the weight of the tomatoes? What do you think? Very interesting. Is that one of the Big Beef?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9020107

yes it is big beef. and yes it will weight itself down as it loads up with vines and maters

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9021488

CricketsGarden wrote:yes it is big beef. and yes it will weight itself down as it loads up with vines and maters

Gotta agree with ya'll on Big Beef Hyb. Oh you can find a bigger tomato, a tastier tomato but I have never found one like Big Beef Hyb that will consistantly yield high production and near perfect fruit in the heat of the South. I equate it to Big Boy's on steroids. Unfortunately this year I am trying to build up some seed inventory just in case they (Monsanto and Company) raise the price of seeds to $10 next year and am planting all OP varieties: Abraham Lincoln, Mule Team, Arkansas Traveler, Homstead and Matt's Wild Cherry. Trying these varieties because of the heat and humidity. Even if they cross I should get some interesting varieties. .
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9021514

I am trying a few OP Big Beef. I tried two last year but I did not give it the upmost attention. It had less production than the hybrid but that might be due to the fact that I did not give it my all. Trying a few with lots of attention.
Big Beef being Big Boy on steroids is excellent description. (big boy X beefsteak = big beef)

I have transplanted half of my extra early crop which is mostly Big Beef hybrid. Have a second crop of big beef that has germinated.

The Momotaro has germinated but only seeing 2 out of 5 seeds so far.

Wondering if there is a tomato out there that is almost exactly like Brandywine but with thicker skin. I prefer the potato leaf too. I am crazy about Brandywine but I always dread the cracking skin when they start to ripen. I guess I need to pull the fruit from the vine before they ripen. Sad.

riceke

riceke
Snellville, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 27, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9021520

Cricket...if you like the Big Beefs try Bella Rosso Hyb. I grew both last year side by side and the only differnece I saw was that the Bella Rosso plant was a little smaller in height but the fruit was almost identical as was its health. Produced into fall. Very little disease.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9021848

Cricket,
I believe cracking is an inherent characteristic of certain tomatoes, no matter what you do...
It may not have been your fault at all...And, long as it doesn't split open, a cracked tomato is still perfectly good. But, I know your buyers want perfect tomatoes...

Makes me think of the special I saw where fields and fields of perfectly good tomatoes and produce were left to rot on the ground because of a small spot or blemish that the public wouldn't accept at sale.

With so many hungry people in America today...

Sorry. Jumped up on a soapbox...
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9021938

I didn't have problems with the Brandywines cracking, just that they didn't produce much. They had big plants, big leaves, big tomatoes, but very FEW tomatoes. I don't like the potato leaf plants. Maybe that is why. I don't get much produce from them.

I saw that same thing last year with peppers. Gorgeous reds, yellows, oranges and greens, with a spot on them and left to rot. Guess that added to the soil, but not as much as if you had given them to the foodbanks. Why not put them on sale 5/$1? Anything.

I had a Brug plant that did that only on the trunk/stem. It split in several places about 6 or 8 inch splits. I posted pictures of it and the experts on them said they thought the plant grew too fast for the outside skin. Makes sense.

But up here when they do that, tomatoes, cherries, etc. it is normally rain that hits them when they are ripe that causes it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9021997

Same thing with my cabbages after a rainstorm. Split right down the middle. Must be harvested right away!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9022157

I have seen and read about cabbages growing so fast that they burst open suddenly like a mini explosion.

My Brandywines have always produced abundantly.
I always give the plants a little shake everyday to help pollination too.

The big beef that are in the hanging containers have nice visible bloom buds. bounce bounce

I finished transplanting the first crop of big beef tomatoes from the 6inch pot into 4 gallon pots. (2 single vined plants per pot)
A few are brandywine, lemon boy, sweet million cherry

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 2:50 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #9022168

can't resist posting a pic of a Maximus strawberry bud.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #9022178

About the Brandywine.
I really think that helping the brandywine pollinate by shaking the bloom clusters or plant is why I had so many fruits.
I actually had so many fruits that I now prune my bloom clusters back to 4 and 5 per cluster cause the cluster stem couldn't handled the massive load.

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9022216

Can any of you tell me what tomato has big fluffy double blossoms? I had those on one of my tomato plants last year, and am thinking by the mix up in labels that they had to be either Goliath or Mortgage Lifter. I have never had a tomato with those before.

Only reason I name those 2 is because they were on the end and that is where all of a sudden I ran out of labels. Actually, could be any, as I said, I am sure they were mixed up when I saw what the tomatoes on all of my plants were like.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9022227

Cricket,
Please enlighten me. You plant TWO tomato plants in a single 4 gallon pot? Rhetorical, because I saw your pic.

How do you get the plants to stay manageable? And, what is a "single-vined" plant? Could you show me a before and after picture of pruning to a single vine if that's what you're doing? I would love to learn to get my unruly tomato plants into some order.

Thanks!

Linda
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9022235

ummm fluffy tomato blossom... Only fluffy double blooms I know of are what some call mega-blooms. Mostly the first several blossoms on beefsteak type plants will be megablooms. Some will show up further on the vines. Megablooms are where two more blooms are fused together which in turn gives you double, triple, quads blossoms and result in giant tomatoes. Most of these blooms need extra help with pollination cause they are so fused together that pollination is incomplete and all buds do not get pollinated which lowers the chance of a Giant tomato.

Linda,,,yes mam. let me hunt a few pics

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #9022257

Yes. One 4 gallon pot has two plants. Each plant is pruned to a single vine which means I only keep the main stem and remove all suckers that appear at each leaf node. I take time to prune a row of toms every day. This way , I don't have to do them all at the same time and I don't get so bored and tired so easily. For instance= when all my toms are planted, I will have 7 rows of toms and I will prune every single day and start over at the end of the week. The thought of pruning/ pinching so many vines does sound like a lot of labor but once you get started , it really doesn't take that long to do it. 15 minutes a day if you keep up with it and don't get behind on the job. But remember- I grow hundreds and hundreds of plants. (750 ish vines this year) Growing many bush in the garden too but I don't have to worry about those.

the tomato plants I transplanted today will be single vines with one single Twine tied to the base of the plant Loosely to allow the vine to enlarge as it grows without cutting it and pulled up and tied to a hanging system above the plant. As the plant grows, I wrap the twine around the tomato vine/stem.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 3:59 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9022264

looking for large pictures...

these plants were pruned to have two vines per plant because I grew them directly in the ground and 12 inches apart but same concept...each plant actually had two twines tied at the base. One twine to support each vine...tongue tier.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9022267

how bout this view

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9022273

these were grown= one plant in one 4 gallon pot but I pruned each plant to have two vines.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #9022277

same with these brandywine. one plant in one 4 gallon pot pruned to have two vines per plant.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9022285

All of these were grown two plants in one 5 gallon grow bag. Each plant was pruned to one single main vine.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9022297

megablooms

pics are small

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 4:22 PM

Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden   Thumbnail by CricketsGarden

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9022303

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/CricketsGreenhouse/100_0862.jpg
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9022311

all large images of all the itty bittys ones from above post
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/CricketsGreenhouse/DSCN1821.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/CricketsGreenhouse/DSCN1647-1.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/CricketsGreenhouse/DSCN1208.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/CricketsGreenhouse/DSCN0797.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/CricketsGreenhouse/greenhouse014.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/CricketsGreenhouse/greenhouse253.jpg
http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii105/CricketsGreenhouse/greenhouse156.jpg

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 4:35 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9022314

Cricket,
I see it, and I've tried it, but I can't ever seem to figure out what to keep and what to prune. I know where to find the suckers. It's keeping that main stem down to ONE, that eludes me. Sometimes (MOST times), it forks into a "V" and I have two stems. At first, I thought it would be manageable, until the plant started leaning to one side from the weight.

So, when it branches off like that, you just clip the entire fork on one side?

What about keeping the side branches from forking, too?

Thanks.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9022324

Yes, when it forks or Y s , you can either keep it like that and continue to prune all suckers off of those two stems only, or cut the younger Y. I hate cutting it but I have done it. You can tie a twine at the base and wait and tie another twine at the Y for the second vine. The best way to learn is experience. Picture it in your mind and prune it that way.

truth be told,,,I have started out many many times with just the single vine and when it branches off with that second strong vine making a Y vision, I have a hard time clipping it off and most times I will keep it. Just because it is so darn p u r d y.

drthor

drthor
Irving, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9022325

CricketsGarden
you ROCK !!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 27, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9022328

Thanks, Cricket.

What about the branches? You leave them alone, right. Just constantly keeping those suckers clipped off?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #9022343

for those who dont understand what the Y is.
about 18 inches to 24 inches up the main plants stem, you will notice a very strong sucker grow and it grows just as strong and thick as the main vine does.
Up until that point, you cut all suckers off the main vine. When you can visibly see a another strong thick sucker start growing about 18 inches up the plant, you keep that vine as a secondary vine on the plant and continue pruning other suckers- vines as they grow at the leaf nodes. If you want a single vine, you cut that strong secondary when it appears just as you did all the other suckers.

edited to add
to prevent confusion= the second vine to keep, the really strong secondary, is most always just above the first cluster of tomatoes.

This message was edited Feb 27, 2012 5:05 PM

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 27, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9022345

yes keep the leaf branches above the first cluster of toms...gradually remove the leaf branches that are below the first cluster of toms.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

February 27, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9022824

Yes Cricket, my blossoms on that plant ALL looked like that but I don't think I got any tomatoes that looked like that. And, I don't recall them being giant tomatoes either.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9023131

Cricket,
Thanks for the visual aide! I've seen it many times, but it was not quite explained like you did.

So. I'll (eventually) have a "bare naked lady" up to the very first fruit cluster. Then, above that cluster, I'll have a "V" (or not...), with branches and more clusters only. And I leave the branches alone on both halves, and clip off all the suckers that develop on both halves of the branch.

If this is correct, then, "by Cricket, I think I have it!" ^:-)^

Hugs!

Linda
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2012

Post #9023371

YOU HAVE IT
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 28, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #9023386

WOW! Only took me since 2008 to get it!

I'm a visual learner...

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9024893

Cricket, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the primer on tomato growing!!! I doubt I'm going to be the only one who applauds your Tomato 101 class.

We tried some tomatoes last year, the plants had some blooms, but they were towering, almost 6 & 1/2 foot tall, but only a few tomatoes. The wife planted those about 12" apart, and I thought they were too close together. Pretty sure they were Big Boy, Big Beef, and another I don't recall right now. I found some Big Beefsteaks late in season, April, to transplant into ground. We never got those to bloom, so we pulled them out about July. BTW, we are on the top of a hill and we have wind on our property almost all the time.

Now realizing what I need to do pruning, what kind of spacing should we use for the Red Beefsteaks we have already purchased for transplant? Got 4 plants in the Bonnie peat pots from Wally World, and have also found some Parks Whoppers from WW. What is your opinion of the Whoppers?

Finally was able to get the raised beds started last weekend with the cultivator, and can't wait to get back out there and get the fertilizer spread out. Looks like the weather might FINALLY start to cooperate, and we can get an earlier start than last year.

Thanks,

Kevin

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9024894

Our Sweet 100 Cherry's did great, and they were in a different bed, just next to the other tomatoes. And that was with only 4 plants...

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #9024997

Lisa, GymGirl, you feel a ROADTRIP comin' on to Bama???!!LOL... Only problem is I'd probably have to rent a trailer big enough for the westbound CARGO!!! LOL...

kevcarr59

kevcarr59
BUda, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 29, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9025085

Cricket, happened to be at HD a couple days ago and saw some "coated" tomato cages. They look to be plastic coated and a little thicker wire, so I'm gonna try a few and see how they do. Will keep you informed..

Kevin
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 29, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9025113

well.. If you are going to prune the plants to just a few vines then those cages would be fine. Those tomato cages from walmart and home depot is like holding my plants up with a wet noodle. I tried hog wire one time too and the cages didn't do well. I have to use reinforcement wire.for an unpruned plant.

spacing really depends on how many vines you want your plant to have. On an average caged plant that has very little prunning should be 3 ft apart. If they are heavily pruned then I would say ------make sure you have at least 6 to 8 inch space between each single vine around the cage space... and at least 6 to 8 inches from the outside of one cage to the outside of the next cage.

25 gallon pots...2 ft wide. 2 ft wide cages.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 1, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9026096

Cricket,
I've been reviewing some old pics of when I first started attempting to grow tomatoes in the spring of 2008. NONE of my plants has ever been as lush and full as yours, since that very first crop in my Earthboxes.

What to you feed them after they're in the 4 gallon grow bags?

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 1, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9026434

I use Mittleider Magic fertilizer mixture
I buy micro-nutrients from the mittleider foundation
http://www.growfood.com/
It gives instructions to Mix 10 oz of the micro-nutrients with 20 pounds of fertilizer such as 13-13-13 or 16-16-16. Mix in 3 pounds of Epsom salts..

I also give the tomato plants a table spoon of Calcium Nitrate each week...
I use to mix 3 pounds of Calcium Nitrate into the fertilizer mixture but the calcium nitrate dissolves quickly and makes the fertilizer mixture kinda moist and icky so I have been keeping it separated.

I give each 4 gallon pot a table spoon of the fertilizer mixture each week,,,then I give each 4 gallon a table spoon of calcium nitrate a few days later...once a week.

Now my new lesson is that when my plants reach 6 feet tall and want to be bullet proof ,,, I should be feeding them twice a week.

If you grow them in the ground, give them a couple tablespoons once a week. Feed more as the plant becomes bigger and bigger and bigger and finally looks like the incredible hulk.

MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9027912

That's a very interesting site Cricket. I've ordered the fert's. The fertilizer I've been purchasing from the hydro store is expensive and liquid based. Sometimes I just don't get it together, it takes several batches to do all the beds, and the idea that I can pre-mix the stuff and have it ready seems like it will work better for me.

How do you apply it? Wet the soil, sprinkle and water? Do you need to scratch the fert's into the soil? Thanks!
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 3, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9027945

I toss a table spoon around the tomato plants. No need to scratch in or pre wet but I do like an indention in the soil to hold the fertilizer mixture in place so it doesn't wash away.
I have all the Mittleider books on CD, plus I have tomatoes and one other book in paperback. Then I have one more CD that is called Garden Wizard. YOu use it on the computer to list your region, the direction of your garden, how many square ft, how many beds you have, how wide and long, list the veggies you want to grow and it shows where they should grow and how many you can grow or list how many you want to grow. It's not a fancy gardening CD but it is nice to play around with. Plus, It gives you yield per plant times how many you are growing and when to fertilizer and for how many weeks according to how long the crop actually last. The Garden Wizard was a little tricky to figure out at first but after using it a few times, I figured it out. If you have the Garden Wizard Pro, you are allowed to save the garden layout and go back to view it the next year so you can rotate the crops or change something.
MaryMcP
Phoenix, AZ
(Zone 9b)

March 3, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9028016

Thanks!
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 3, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9028042

CG, I noticed on the Growfood website there recommendation is one 10 oz mix to 25 lbs balanced fert and 4 lbs Ep Salt. + lime or gypsum + borax. I noticed you use 3 lbs Ep Salt to 20 lbs balanced fert. Care to comment?

I am looking for an sub for Miracle Grow tomato. It's only being produced in the 1.5 lb size now and the price has increased a $1, so it has become too expensive for me to use anymore. I mix 50 -60 gal every two weeks during the growing season starting now going until late July.

I have gypsum and 15-15-15 + sulfur and Eps Salt. Could easily get Borax. Don't know about the dry application method though. I am used to pouring a gal of MG mix around the root system of each plant. Once again Big Business dictate our activities...it's all about the MONEY.

This message was edited Mar 3, 2012 1:53 PM
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9028318

I've been trying to think of who it is that started the Haitians using that fertilizer. He convinced me to use it, but I grow so few plants that it wasn't worth it to me. I still have some of it. Think it was maybe Lone Jack? Does that sound right to any of you? He goes down to Haiti every year to help them with their gardens. etc.

Think he is the one from Oregon. I am going to have to check now, just out of curiosity.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9028338

Might have been Perry Lawrence in Southwest Washington State. I sent Lonejack an email asking him. How did you get started using it Cricket?
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9029187

I use 3 pounds of Epsom salt cause the bag I buy is 3 pounds.
I use 20 pounds of 13-13-13 cause the bag of fertilizer I buy is 40 pounds and I measure it in half.
I have never used Borax.

I think I started using the micro-nutrients in 2004 when Jim Kennard posted it around Daves Garden. That was the first year I joined Daves Garden. I was solely after the micro-nutrients. Before that, I always grew the tomatoes in the ground and knew there were some trace of micro- nutrients in the soil. But when I started growing them in containers is when I started buying the micro-nutrients.

I started One non circular hydroponic trash can tomato= about 4 days ago. Using fertilizer and micro-nutrients mixture at one tablespoon per 5 gallons of water plus 1 tbs of calcium nitrate per 5 gallons of water and 1 tbs of epsom salt per 5 gallons of water. The current fertilizer is only a 10-10-10. I did add 4 extra tbs to the whole trash can of 10-10-10 to increase the NPK per gallon. (just sounded like a good idea to me.)

yesterdays pic of the trash can tom.

texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 4, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9029246

That is a nice looking setup! Do yo plan to support the tomato plant or no?

I presume the fill tube is large enough for the water level to be observed.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9029267

Right, I can see the water level in 2 inch pvc tube.

Yes...I plan to use reinforcement wire cages for support.
I stack the cages to get them the height that I need.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9029837

On the day that I transplanted tomatoes into the 4 gallon pots, I just gave them a little bit of calcium nitrate.
Yesterday was Day 5 after transplant.
I just gave them their first dose of fertilizer mixture today.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2012
3:35 PM

Post #9029840

The tomatoes in the topsy hangers just got their first dose of fertilizer today too. The sweet million cherry started blooming today.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9029958

Cricket, where did you buy 13-13-13 in that amount? Gosh, that is the same NPK as Dynamite that I pay $8 for a small container, might be a lb.

Now do you plan on adding more nutrients the length of it's life? And water?

that does look really cool. Do you plan on it having more than one stem? What is the tomato? We are going to be really interested in how it does. Especially compared to the others you normally do. Compared in production.

BE SURE TO POST PICTURES ALONG THE WAY. :0)

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 4, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9030187

I buy 13-13-13 at walmart or my local feed and seed or Co-Op ($18.00 40pounds)

The hydro tomato will be pruned slightly...it will have many many vines.
I will add nutrient water on a regular basis which depends on how much it drinks. This will be a learning experience.
I don't think I will have to add nutrient water for a long while. In the past 4 to 5 days, the water level went down 1/4 of an inch. Most mature peak producing tomato plants can drink 5 gallons a day...which won't happen until June. I will be keeping a marked stick that will tell me how much the plant is drinking each day. I will keep duct tape over the pvc tube opening to prevent evaporation and to keep those mosquitoes out.

I do plan on taking pictures of my tomato adventures...even if disaster happens and cuts the adventure short.

I have another tomato plant in a 50 gallon blue barrel full of peat, promix, compost, rabbit manure and also fed fertilizer mix. In the above pic,,,in the very back of the greenhouse. The plant is still young and was berried deep and left some room to add more soil when it gets a little taller and then some mulch.

I like to play with my food.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9030228

Will you be allowing for air in any part of the roots? Oxygen?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 4, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9030231

Cricket you're up late Too!! I just told Shoe that on the other thread.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2012
10:59 PM

Post #9030264

Jnette,
The tomato pot is only just touching the nutrient water in the system. As the plants roots grow downward into the water and drink, they will cause the water level to lower, thereby creating a space between a part of the roots and the water table. That's the air space for oxygen.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #9030382

My bedtime is between 10pm and 11pm.
Morning alarm is at 6am.
Greenhouse opens at 7am.-----when it is time for business season...starting last week of March
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9030636

Now Gymgirl, why didn't I figure that one out? LOL, are you going to try this too?

You must have been wired last night Cricket. It was late. You probably do like I do, go to bed and all of these things go round and round in your head so you can't sleep yet.

Have a good day all.
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9031461

here is the hydro cuke trash can

It has a double pot...two plants in each pot.

CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 5, 2012
5:40 PM

Post #9031470

hydro trash can topic about assembly parts and info.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1144548/

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1054483/

This message was edited Mar 5, 2012 7:42 PM
texasrockgarden
Canyon Lake, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 5, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9031483

Since it is hydro system you are using water soluble 10-10-10, right? So I am thinking the MG Tomato fertilizer already in hand should work if mixed at the correct strength.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
10:53 PM

Post #9031737

Jo, did you get any Sun Sugar seeds? I finally looked in my packet and have about a half a dozen in there. I will send you half of whatever I have if you want. I'm sorry I forgot and didn't get to the tomatoes until I realized that the seeds were going to be gone if I didn't get my order in soon.

I was looking for the Momontaro seeds. Still don't have it right. Sorry. I think I am getting some but it took some doing, and I don't have them in hand yet. Anyway, I finally inventoried my seeds and found I do have some Sun Sugars but not a lot. Am certainly willing to share. Let me know.

Sorry I took so long. I forgot you needed them.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 5, 2012
10:54 PM

Post #9031739

Jo dmail me if you want some. Jeanette
araness
Auburn, AL
(Zone 8a)

March 6, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #9031889

Cricket, the thread is a bit long do you think you could make another?

Thanks,

Saint
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 6, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9032483

continue over here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1245574/

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 6, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9032898

Pretty cool Cricket. Did you make the rabbit cages? Is that on inch hardware cloth? Looks like it took quite a bit. Did you buy it in a roll, or??? I would like to get a rabbit, but not more than one. You must be planning on having litters, hence the male??? Are you going to . have meat rabbits? I love rabbit meat. It is so good. But Bob doesn't like it. Oh well, there is plenty of other.
juliabentley62
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 15, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9083978

I am in zone 5b...Indiana...when should I put my tomatoes and peppers outside?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 15, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9084007

About 2 weeks after your last average frost date. You can do it earlier but you must be prepared to protect the plants if there is a freeze and the temps should be about 55* or the roots will not develope and the plants will just sit there. You know your microclimate better then anyone.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 16, 2012
8:50 AM

Post #9084621

continue over here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1245574/
juliabentley62
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 21, 2012
4:34 AM

Post #9091227

No Thanks Gym girl lol...all they talk about over there is murdering rabbits. I am just interested in veggies:)
CricketsGarden
Nauvoo, AL
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9091391

eating rabbits was a very short topic.
sorry you were offended. If you scoll down past the 1st 10 post , you wont see anymore rabbit talk. The other 232 post were veggie talk.

This message was edited Apr 21, 2012 8:03 AM
juliabentley62
Danville, IN
(Zone 5b)

April 29, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #9102182

An awesome read:) Thanks!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America