-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #8960571

There are a total of 124 votes:

Yes, we've already received significant snow.
(16 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Just flurries here.
(36 votes, 29%)
Red dot

No snow yet, but we'll probably get some.
(19 votes, 15%)
Red dot

We rarely have snow where I live, so none for me so far.
(31 votes, 25%)
Red dot

We never have snow.
(20 votes, 16%)
Red dot

I'm south of the equator and it is summer!
(2 votes, 1%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 9, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #8960659

It seems to be gearing up for a mild winter in the Pacific NW this year. We had a cold snap before Christmas, but I'm noticing a red haze to the alders (emerging catkins), and lots of bird song. No frogs yet.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 9, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #8960663

Rarely here but I'll be whining if it does... one day closer to springtime!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 9, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #8960728

It rarely snows here, so we enjoy it while we can. This is the reaction our little dog had to snow in January last year:

http://ncgarden.hobbies.homepagenow.com/photographs.shtml?xm=doublem00%40aol.com&action=details&mediaId=1912afc330d9f7a1674ee78bcf932aa1f56c#albumstart
FlowrLady
-South Central-, IL
(Zone 6a)

January 9, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #8960750

I chose flurries, but actually we've had flurries twice, and about an inch one day, which was quickly gone. The weathermen in this area keep talking about how amazing it is that we've not had more snow. I can't comment because this is my 2nd winter here, and I like this one better than last year.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 9, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #8960751

No snow yet and fairly mild temperatures. I've been gardening during the sunniest hours we've had this year.

Loved the dog's reaction!

Resin

Resin
Northumberland
United Kingdom
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #8960804

Unusually mild winter here too, none yet. A complete contrast to the last two winters which had lots of snow. But there's likely to be some sometime in the next 3 months.

Resin
mamasita
Southern Dutchess Co, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 9, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #8961009

It's been mild here with a few flurries now and then, but we were slammed with a freak snow storm at the end of October. That makes up for the lack of snow now.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #8961171

Wilmington,just to our North got a tiny bit of flurries in the middle of the night last week, but I don't think they hit the ground. We usually get some flurries that are gone in a few hours. Don't know about this year though. We haven't had even one solid week of Winter temps yet.
Barb
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 9, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #8961223

HoneybeeNC, you just haven't been in the Queen City long enough. LOL I moved south to get away from treacherous snow and Ice there. Now I'm even more south.
The only way I want to see snow is on TV or the web.
The house we had there had a 60º driveway which was a sled run when frozen. Being in my mid-fifties at the time I wasn't into sledding anymore.
;)

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 9, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #8961362

Very mild so far
Sofonisba
Beacon, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #8961548

Unusually mild with no snow except for that crazy "Snowtober" storm for Halloween that put everyone's power out for five days. Typically, snow in October is rare, but we usually would have a couple of snowfalls of a few inches by now. It's January and the temperatures have been averaging 15 degrees above normal. My oil bill isn't as high, though.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2012
9:54 AM

Post #8961895

Wow. I'm surprised to see that "we rarely have snow" is the largest catagory (so far). Here on avg we get a light dusting which lasts less than 1 day once every 10yrs. We had some the last 2 consecutive years, so I figure we should be good now until around 2029.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 10, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #8962073

sugarweed - we've been in Charlotte since October 1999 and I think there have been only four winters here that have had snow.

I moved away from your current part of the world because of the intense heat. We used to live in Palm Beach County.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #8962577

Just a few flurries here. Very unusual. Been a mild winter temperature wise too.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 10, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #8962584

I wasn't sure how to answer this one. I'm wintering in Mexico. It doesn't snow often in Vancouver but I've heard there's been lots of rain. Glad I've got a bit more light and sun than a typical winter. Sure makes a difference.
Artwestallis
Milwaukee, WI

January 11, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #8963333

guess I should of voted flurries but not much of that yet even snow prdicted for tommorrow but high of 50 also prdicted for today unusally warm and snowless here
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

January 11, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #8963474

It's all white outside today, but it's just a heavy frost.

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #8963551

Yes, but we had the nasty snowstorm back in mid october.
Martha
Ithiel
Detroit, MI
(Zone 6b)

January 11, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #8964063

Still waiting for the first snowstorm of the season here in southeastern Michigan. So far we've had a few dustings here and there, but not much more than that. Add in the fact that the winter has been extremely mild and even warm at times, and it really doesn't feel like winter yet. Of course, that all could change, but I sure wouldn't mind if we just rolled on into spring from here.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 12, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #8964761

No snow in Alabama. It only rarely happens, but every decade or so there is enough snow to build a snowman and play fox and geese.
roseycats
Dayton, OH

January 12, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #8964936

I voted flurries because we have had only one inch of snow so far, but we are suppose to get some snow sometime today or tonight. I hope not to much.

Cville_Gardener

Cville_Gardener
Middle TN
United States
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #8965004

First measurable snow of the year here today ... only about a half an inch. Windy. Dropping from 60 yesterday to 20 tonight. :-o(
Kelli
L.A. (Canoga Park), CA
(Zone 10a)

January 12, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #8965191

The woman next door has lived here for 47 years and she said that it has not snowed here during that time. That's fine with me, but some rain would be nice.

Bookerc1

Bookerc1
Mackinaw, IL
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
3:38 PM

Post #8965215

First real snow here today. School was released an hour early due to blowing snow and icy roads.

lbveas
Whitmore Lake, MI

January 12, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #8965239

3 to 4 inches in one dump in early Dec here in SE Michigan just 15 miles N of Ann Arbor. MOST unusual!
Expecting that Illinois snow to get here overnight. We'll see. Cold temps and no snow cover not good.
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 12, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #8965245

I'm about 10 mi N of lbveas, so an exact copy of their post. Mild winter here...so far. Afraid to see if "Old Man Winter" makes up for it in the second half!

meezersfive

meezersfive
waukesha, WI
(Zone 5a)

January 13, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #8966427

We've had an unseasonably mild and dry winter here, the farmers are already complaining. Water tables will be very low if we don't get some before long. Doesn't seem to be reflected in my utility bill though.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #8966507

West Texas and 3 significant snowfalls already this winter totaling 19" of snow. over 7 in in the second on and about 6 inches last monday. More snow than we have had in many years... my dogs just run out and plow through it... wish they would not... long haired dogs and snow do NOT mix. They look like snow creatures afterwards.
mamajack
Fate, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #8968496

lhasa that is unbelievable esp. after hearing from wisconsin and michigan. have you really had that much snow?" is the ground covered now? i need to watch the texas weather station more and quit relying on the internet for my weather reports i guess. we have had prob. 6 or 8 nights of overnight freezing but it has thus far warmed up during the days. and tell me another thing...i had wind almost the whole year in 2011. what was it like out there? i cussed wind almost every day until sometimes in nov. i think. lol so if it was bad here i figure yall have sand in your sugar bowls and underwear (chest of) drawers out there. stay warm.
ogon
Paradise, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #8969038

We haven't had any snow yet, and I don't expect much if any, but it has also been incredibly dry and warm. I don't usually get much snow where I live, thought it does tend to fall within a few miles of me, where the elevation is a few hundred feet above my 1300ft. This fall and winter we haven't received much rain, aside from a week or so in November it has been dry and warm. Daytime temperatures have been in the mid 60s and nights in the high 30s at the lowest, though most nights have been in the 40s. No frost yet at my house, the Canna lillies haven't even died back to the ground yet! Also, many plants appear to be breaking bud thinking that spring is coming. The Spirea thunbergii in my backyard is starting to bloom, a few of the Azaleas and Rhododendrons have sent out rouge flowers, one of my Lilacs just put out some leaves, and several of my spring Crocus are in bloom!! I also saw a Lady Banks rose in partial bloom in a neighbor's yard! I hope the poor plants aren't damaged if true winter weather does eventually come... Today it is a bit cooler than it has been, high is around 52*F, and tonight the forecast says it may dip below freezing. I hope the plants are ok. Supposedly we should expect the first true winter rains late this week. I hope they do materialize, I am not looking forward to a summer drought!
SuburbanNinja80
Plainfield, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #8969577

There only two inches on the ground in planfield,indiana so far and its melting away in the next two days.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #8970199

Last week on cable news they said if you want to see snow right now (last week), you have to go to Texas - oddly enough. They said that's where the snow is (or was at the time) in the continental US. Alaska is also getting pounded with snow, considerably more than is normal for them, so much that the guard is there shoveling snow. It's hard to imagine Alaska getting more snow than they can handle. On the other hand, ski resorts in places like Colorado and Vermont have had to either use fake snow or close down due to lack of snow. The weather here in my area is fairly normal, so far, that is.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #8971487

Each of the snow events we had were significant... about 6 inches or more and it took 3 to 4 days each time for it to melt away. It was fantastic for watering the yard and everything else. I am happy to have the moisture.
We did have all the wind last year too. Having lived here since the early 70's I thought I was used to wind until this past year when I too was ready to pull my hair out from the constant roar of wind and sand/dirt in EVERYTHING. A few weeks ago my garage door did not go down and I was not aware of it... on the day we had the worst dust storm of the YEAR!!!! Can you imagine the mess in my garage now???? ... (my two and half car size garage is my storage area!) I can't even think of tackling that mess until the summer... I am considering just throwing it all out rather than trying to clean it all. My washer and dryer are usually white.. they were brown!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #8971691

OUCH! What a mess for you.
ironworker25
Brighton, MI
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2012
1:09 AM

Post #8972329

I was working in Tennessee a few years ago and when we got a little frost one morning, I used the scraper end of my snow brush to remove it. My snow brush was fascinating to the locals (having never seen one). When it snowed three inches during our shift a few days later, the locals (many of whom which had snickered at the fact that I had to cart around such an apparatus) were all standing around my car waiting for their turn with my Yankee snow brush! I see that the Texans could use a few of these things too.
On a serious note, I'm sorry that you guys are getting dumped on like this. I've seen the effects of just a little snow in the south while working there. Lack of removal equipment, salt, and inexperienced drivers make it a VERY dangerous situation. The best of luck to you guys down there.
Here, we got a couple inches over the weekend just to have it get to 50 and rain today and melt it all. Not to worry...within a few hours it froze and was dusted over again! Winter is still undecided here.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2012
4:01 AM

Post #8972417

LOL on the the snow brush. I grew up in MN.

Do you remember the radiator brush that would let you remove dust and cobwebs from an old fashioned radiator? I asked my MN kinfolk to find me one of them. I thought it would be a handy tool to remove dust from cracks and crevices.

Guess what they sent me? A snow brush. This is one Texan with one... but they can keep the snow as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for the morning chuckle and the memories.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #8972573

ironworker - we went to San Marcos, TX for two weeks in 2003 and went up to Austin and down to San Antonio - all lovely. The rain that turned to sleet and ice made driving impossible. We felt for the drivers unaccustomed to dealing with it and I35 was hard hit with accidents, guard rails knocked down, etc.

I don't blame you, podster, for not wanting the ice and snow! We've escaped it so far this winter...so far. I doubt we'll get through the next 2+ months without being hit a few times.
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 18, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #8972592

I wanna build a snow man! Snow not likely here.

I still remember the ice statues at Michigan Tech when I went to school at Houghton Mi.

Here are some photos from the 2012 Winter Carnival:

http://www.mtu.edu/carnival/gallery/

This message was edited Jan 18, 2012 9:12 AM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #8972671

Great snow creations, Gloria! Loved them all but the locomotive was really great.

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #8972765

My daughter was born in Florida and moved here to NC as an adult...

One morning she called me and said: "Mom, there's ice on the car's windshield, how do I get it off?" I told her she needed an ice scraper. She said she didn't have one, so I told her to use a credit card to scrape off the ice.

When she told her fellow co-workers about not knowing that windshields could get coated with ice, they laughed!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #8972798

That's a good one!

The credit card was a much better idea than the daughter of a man I knew who thought she'd do her dad a favor and heated a pot of water and threw it over the windshield one freezing morning. Oops!

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 26, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #8982901

pirl - that's something you don't do more than once! LOL
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #8982910

LOL! He was very kind about it and she felt terrible.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #8983002

Even up here when kids move out on their own they don't think about buying a scaper for the car because mom and dad usually scraped all the cars before going to work, so we hear stories all the time of what they use...credit cards, cd's, nail files...LOL

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America