Photo Editing Fun - Page 48

Memphis, TN

Well, we're into the second week of another new year and "rarin' to go" with some old and new (but always fun) ideas! If you're just joining in, please check us out on our last thread at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233405/.

Please feel free to jump in a share your goodies as well!

If you think this is an image of fine stitchery with golden thread, think again. It's a kaleidoscopic effect of some Foxtail Grass, with some added doo-dads!

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the new thread Miss Mary! That is a beautiful image to start us off!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Very cool kaleido, there, Miss Mary ... and thanks for starting the new thread!

Here's a stereographic something or other ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Mary, Jubilada like your kaleidos. Hee is a sort of a Kaleido

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

TAR, that's a fascinating, mesmerizing and unique composition ... lovely!

Here's a plain collage ... shots from my walk this afternoon ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow, really nice stuff, guys! Great kaliedos in this current thread, and a lot of nice shots in the thread before. Nice collage, Jubilada.

Patti, I love the sunset shots with the ships and the lighthouse. Too bad most of the lighthouse ones came out blurry. I absolutely love your shot of the Vermillion Flycatcher! Such a brilliant red. A nice, bright Christmas red. I pretty much always save my files with the layers, just so I can change them later if I want to. I rarely ever do, but you just never know.

Patti, the shots of the coots reminded me of when I saw some ducks fighting in the water once. Two ducks were holding the head of another underwater. Found out later that they'll do that when they want to mate. Go figure!

MM, you did a great job with the old house photo. Nice treatment on that one. Nice cameilia shot. Your framed moon shot if fabbo!

Jubilada, that's a nice pic of your old Pa. I like the way you finished that one up. Love your Misty Moon shot. Those peace lilies look nice. Little boy plants, I call them. The sterographic filter treatment on the one is great. Love the shot of the Christmas ornament with the starburst. The kale pic is cool.

Cool composite, Ted.

Here's one I played with tonight. It's a photo of my Dad. I adjusted the brightness and contrast to my liking, then applied an edge preserving smooth.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Then I decided to see how it looked in sepia tone.

Karen

Memphis, TN

Now, Ted, you've come up with a really intriguing picture. I feel all discombobulated when I gaze into it for very long and, yet, I'm not quite able to stop going back to it. It reminds me of an episode of the Twilight Zone where a little girl fell out of bed and into another dimension! It's definitely got a wow factor.

Jubilada, I must disagree with you. There's nothing "plain" about that collage. I do like the simplicity and balance and that center photo really works for an anchor. I'd have felt an OCD obligation to put that tree (upper left) somewhere on the bottom but it looks perfect right where you placed it. I need to work harder this year at "seeing outside the box" with my collages.

Karen, that picture of your father has such feeling, a really warm touch. I can't decide which version I like better. Maybe the one in color, but I'm not sure. I really like your positioning or cropping, with him on my right looking forward and to my left. I like the feel of that.

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Karen, that's a lovely portrait of your father, and your enhancements work well ... I think the sepia version especially gives it that "portrait" look ...

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Just some more playing around ... for all of the following I used Pixel Bender (stereographics and oil paint), Topaz Adjust, and I did some masking and layers and blending modes ...

Winter Tree Redux ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Palo Alto First Baptist Church ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

House on Waverley (added Flaming Pear Flood for good measure ...)

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Karen nic work on your father.
Jubilada Love # 1 and 3 the most. Very dramatic effects.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Wheeee. I was gone a day and came back to some beautiful work. What fun stuff to see.

Jubilada, You have mastered that stereographic filter. That something or other is alive! I have to agree with Miss Mary on that collage. Nothing plain about it. I like the way you arranged the portrait and landscape photos. The Winter Tree Redux is Wow!!! It inspired me to do a Pixel Bender Oil Paint on one of my sunset photos. I don't think it came out quite as interesting as yours though.
Your church is incredible. It doesn't even look like a photo. The Circle Splash (I think) is so perfectly done and fits the church image to a T. Great idea!!!
Oh my, you are on a roll! The House on Waverly is whimsical and delightful. I love the colors and just everything about it. I think the people that live there would love to have this printed and framed!

Ted, Your creation is part sphere, part collage, part kaleido and all inspirational genius. Fantastic!

Karen, Great job on processing the photo of your father. It has a subtle painterly qualilty. I like both versions. Interesting about the ducks.

Here's my tree silhouette in Pixel Bender Oil Paint. It is actually a sunset, but that Beatles song has been running through my head all day, so ...

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I went out very early this morning before sunrise. My poor bones were tired of sleeping on that skinny ground pad and it was so cold in that tent, I just wanted out. Warmed up in the truck. I don't know about this wild idea of camping out in State Parks to maximize my photography time. Now I'm thinking that camping is for youngsters. But, I bought the tent and I will use it! It was cool to get the sunset on Tuesday and then the moonset and the sunrise this morning. I was shooting both the moon and sun from the end of this pier and noticed that the pier was reflecting in the water. I loved the golden color that the rising sun painted on the pier.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, wow! Patti, WHO'S on a Roll? That tree silhouette is magical, mystical and beautiful (love that "sunburst"!) ... but that shot of the Pier, oh, my, oh, my ... gorgeous! As you know, I'm simply crazy for geometry, and this is exquisite ... like a row of Greek letters (which one?) ... only one thing I could say ... perhaps the frame is a distraction ... that shot is so marvelous it needs absolutely no embellishment!

Oh, yeah, camping is for youngsters, but ... you go, girl! (Suffering makes great art?)

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

So, Patti, I'm anxiously awaiting your next masterpiece ...

In the meantime, here's some nonsense from me ... let's say it's a floating flotilla of flowering kale ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

And to make matters worse, how about a "winter tree redux kaleido" ... (Patti, I know you'll see some odd creatures in this one!) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the compliments on my pics, guys. I do enjoy playing with them. Maybe one day I will find a lot more time to do more playing and learn more techniques.

Jubilada, I love your Winter Tree Redux. Awesome! The Church one is really nice, and the House on Waverly is fantastic! The flowering kale reflection one is great, and that kaleido makes me think of Hindu mythology.

Patti, your pixel bender tree is so cool! I wish I had that on my program. I might try something else. Love the shot of the pier in the morning light. Really nice colors on that.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Okay, one from me for tonight. My bed is calling my name. Don't know how you guys find time to do all the ones you do. Ya'll have a lot more experience than I, also, so can probably get stuff done a lot quicker.

Here's a pic of fall leaves. I adjusted the brightness and contrast a bit, then enamelized it. Pretty simple compared to what ya'll have done.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Oops! Forgot the pic.

Karen

Memphis, TN

Karen, if I had some leaves as pretty as those in my yard, I'd enamelize them, too! Nice effect, gives a hearty texture to them.

Patti, the pier is your pièce de résistance tonight -- what color! And, as Jubilada noted, the lines and angles are just great. Personally, I saw a Sigma under there right off!

Jubilada, I like the church. You got a wonderful angle and the rays take it from there! If they saw your finished product, they'd probably want to use it for a church bulletin.

The dull sky, the drizzle, the dropping temps....couldn't wait to grab my camera and get some shots of all that! Well, I got the shot and I've been playing with it all night (instead of washing dishes, Karen). Here you will see the Cezanne version, with the original blended back in about 50%. I'm calling this one "Winter Sky".

Memphis, TN

And here you have the same shot after using Picnik Lo-Mo.

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I think we're ALL on a roll. Got up early and met with more goodies!

Jubilada, That is a fabulous, floating flotilla of flowering kale. I just wish it was fennel. ^_^ Seriously, I really like what you have done. Using that flood filter maximized the beautiful color of the kale. And the framing and kaleido add to the wonderful colors. Oh boy! Loving that Winter Tree Redux kaleido. And, yes, I see all sorts of critters and aliens and I just can't seem to stop staring at it. Very cool.

Karen, Wow! Beautiful leaves and your treatment really does add a wonderful 3D effect to the leaves. Great job!

Miss Mary, You have done a great job in capturing an intriguing combination of tree limbs with those upper branches reaching downward to the trees below in the distance. Beautifully seen and photographed! And, your treatments maintain the moodiness of the cold, overcast day. Hard to decide, but I think I slightly favor the Picnik version.

Jubilada, I think you were right. The pier looks better without the frame. I redid it and all I did was add a thin black stroke. Had to add something so the water wouldn't spill out. ^_^

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

My home away from home. The moon setting early in the morning. When I got out of the tent, everything outside was dripping wet with dew. Yuck. I was so glad that I didn't leave my camera out with the remote timer taking an all night star trail. The only reason I didn't is because I knew the moon was going to come up and ruin it. Whew.

Orton and stroke

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I was amazed at these shots. All I did was Raw adjustments. The first one was taken a bit up river and the river curves a lot. The light and reflections were different at each curve. I just kept quickly walking down river and snapping shots of this Blue-winged Teal pair. I really can't say enough about early morning light. It is magical.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

I cropped this one quite a bit to show the ducks a bit better. Light and reflections are just totally different and timing is less than a minute apart.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

One more for this morning and then I have to go take the tent down. I put it up in the living room yesterday so that it could completely dry out before I stow it. ^_^ I should take a photo of that. NOT.

Usually I try to avoid taking photos of critters near man made objects. But, I just thought these little guys were cute on their sign and bench perches. Jubilada, the arrangement and embellishment on my collage is incredibly dull compared to the ones you create. I'll have to work on that.

Edited to add Bird IDs: Top to bottom: Tufted Titmouse, Eastern Phoebe and Northern Mockingbird

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 7:43 AM

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Oh, boy, lots of nice stuff here this morning!

Karen, very pretty fall leaves shot ... nice treatment!

Miss Mary, wonderful "winter sky" ... I like both of them!

Patti, the pier shot without the frame is just right! Love the moon in your "home away from home" shot. But, brrr, makes me shiver to think of how cold it must have been. The duck shots are great ... magical light, indeed! The bird shots in that collage are really so good, and what cute little guys they are! And it's not at all a dull collage ... and I like that you've alternated their direction ... my only suggestion would be to make each picture the same width (same depth is not necessary), and give each one a thin stroke (color up to you) ... I might also consider making the background graduated, but again, that's just something to play with ...

Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Good suggestions, Jubilada. Thanks! Here's one of deer where I did most of that ... Black stroke with yellow inner glow and graduated background.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Hmmm. Image didn't load? Ah. I see what's wrong. I tried to load the psd. Duh. Try again.

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Playing with the pier photo. Pure Silliness. I did the Pixel Bender Radial Caleidoscope. Yes, that's how they spell it. Weird spelling for a really weird filter. That's another filter I didn't know I had. I think Adobe is sneaking into my computer at night and changing things. Or, maybe I'm just old and have terminal CRS.

Anyway, Radial Cscope, two flips, a dupe layer rotated and placed behind the first, A Gavin Hoey ball, new background, Flaming Pear flood, text and minor tweaks.

Those nanobots can really transform a pier in short order!

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

That's fantastic, Patti! The fact that you could come up with something as creative as that positively proves you're on top of your game! None of that "old" stuff! Planet Yllis sounds like a wonderful place to me and I hope someday to find myself having a blast there!

Great work!!

Palo Alto, CA(Zone 9a)

Patti, thank heavens Miss Mary said it all ... I'm utterly speechless! Bravo!

Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

Gee I take a nap and you all flood this with creations.
Pattie you need to go home you are having too much fun. LOL
Jubilada those all are wonderful and a joy to look at and figure out how you do them all.
Mary love the effect you did on the sky line. Beautiful.

I was on flicker yesterday and doing a challenge game. Taking two photos and coming up with your own creation. These were the two photos.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Kingston, OK(Zone 7a)

This was my input to the contest.

Thumbnail by TARogers5
Willis, TX(Zone 8b)

Ted, That looks like it was a very difficult contest. You did a great job of using the first photo to link all of the elements of the second. I can't imagine what I could do with that. Not much.

I put this together with a series of shots I took of a Great Egret and a Great Blue Heron. I don't have a clue what they were thinking, but I do think I spooked them. Not a good thing.

EDIT: Hmmmm. Looks too small to read on my monitor. I think DG downsized it. I should have done it as two posts. Oh well.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by P_Edens
Memphis, TN

A little frivolity from me tonight....my "Winter Sky" Cezanne from above, with a few doo-dads added here and there, PSP Kaleido effect applied, PSE circular cut-out and spherize effect applied, etc., etc., ad nauseum.....

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Great shots, everyone!

Patti, I love your collages, and I especially like what you did with the egret and heron shots. That kaleido sphere you made from the pier shot is way cool, and I love the moonrise shot. Those blue winged teal shots on the river are great. I especially like the the first one with the turquoise water. Very pretty.

Miss Mary, Your Winter Sky pics are great, especially the first one.

Ted, your creation for the contest is splendid. I could not have come up with that. Back almost 15 years ago (boy, does time fly, sure doesn't seem that long) I was going to a college for graphic design. Sure wish I could have finished, but a bankruptcy prevented me from getting more loans to continue. Anyhow, I used to look at other students' work and would think, "I'm not that creative. I never would have come up with that. My brain just isn't wired to think that way." Though I do think I'm creative in my own way, it seems to be in a very traditional way, for the most part, and I can't seem to think that far out of the box. Maybe I don't give myself enough credit. Maybe I just need to study other people's work more.

Well, here are some collages from me. Some from recently, and some from early last year. I do like making them, and I think I have a good eye for them. Any constructive critiquing from ya'll would be much welcome.

This first one is of my friend Gretchen on one of our nature hikes at a local preserve.

Karen

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Miss Mary, we cross posted. That winter sky kaleido sphere creation is cool.

Here's that collage from above put into a frame. Had to rearrange the text a bit.

Karen

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.