-
AuthorContent

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 9, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #8961438

Well, we're into the second week of another new year and "rarin' to go" with some old and new (but always fun) ideas! If you're just joining in, please check us out on our last thread at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1233405/.

Please feel free to jump in a share your goodies as well!

If you think this is an image of fine stitchery with golden thread, think again. It's a kaleidoscopic effect of some Foxtail Grass, with some added doo-dads!

Thumbnail by HelloMissMary
Click the image for an enlarged view.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2012
3:00 AM

Post #8961534

Thanks for the new thread Miss Mary! That is a beautiful image to start us off!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #8961754

Very cool kaleido, there, Miss Mary ... and thanks for starting the new thread!

Here's a stereographic something or other ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 10, 2012
4:57 PM

Post #8962511

Mary, Jubilada like your kaleidos. Hee is a sort of a Kaleido

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #8962667

TAR, that's a fascinating, mesmerizing and unique composition ... lovely!

Here's a plain collage ... shots from my walk this afternoon ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #8962803

Wow, really nice stuff, guys! Great kaliedos in this current thread, and a lot of nice shots in the thread before. Nice collage, Jubilada.

Patti, I love the sunset shots with the ships and the lighthouse. Too bad most of the lighthouse ones came out blurry. I absolutely love your shot of the Vermillion Flycatcher! Such a brilliant red. A nice, bright Christmas red. I pretty much always save my files with the layers, just so I can change them later if I want to. I rarely ever do, but you just never know.

Patti, the shots of the coots reminded me of when I saw some ducks fighting in the water once. Two ducks were holding the head of another underwater. Found out later that they'll do that when they want to mate. Go figure!

MM, you did a great job with the old house photo. Nice treatment on that one. Nice cameilia shot. Your framed moon shot if fabbo!

Jubilada, that's a nice pic of your old Pa. I like the way you finished that one up. Love your Misty Moon shot. Those peace lilies look nice. Little boy plants, I call them. The sterographic filter treatment on the one is great. Love the shot of the Christmas ornament with the starburst. The kale pic is cool.

Cool composite, Ted.

Here's one I played with tonight. It's a photo of my Dad. I adjusted the brightness and contrast to my liking, then applied an edge preserving smooth.

Karen

Thumbnail by nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #8962804

Then I decided to see how it looked in sepia tone.

Karen

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 10, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #8962879

Now, Ted, you've come up with a really intriguing picture. I feel all discombobulated when I gaze into it for very long and, yet, I'm not quite able to stop going back to it. It reminds me of an episode of the Twilight Zone where a little girl fell out of bed and into another dimension! It's definitely got a wow factor.

Jubilada, I must disagree with you. There's nothing "plain" about that collage. I do like the simplicity and balance and that center photo really works for an anchor. I'd have felt an OCD obligation to put that tree (upper left) somewhere on the bottom but it looks perfect right where you placed it. I need to work harder this year at "seeing outside the box" with my collages.

Karen, that picture of your father has such feeling, a really warm touch. I can't decide which version I like better. Maybe the one in color, but I'm not sure. I really like your positioning or cropping, with him on my right looking forward and to my left. I like the feel of that.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #8963359

Karen, that's a lovely portrait of your father, and your enhancements work well ... I think the sepia version especially gives it that "portrait" look ...
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #8963661

Just some more playing around ... for all of the following I used Pixel Bender (stereographics and oil paint), Topaz Adjust, and I did some masking and layers and blending modes ...

Winter Tree Redux ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #8963663

Palo Alto First Baptist Church ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #8963665

House on Waverley (added Flaming Pear Flood for good measure ...)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 11, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #8963836

Karen nic work on your father.
Jubilada Love # 1 and 3 the most. Very dramatic effects.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #8963995

Wheeee. I was gone a day and came back to some beautiful work. What fun stuff to see.

Jubilada, You have mastered that stereographic filter. That something or other is alive! I have to agree with Miss Mary on that collage. Nothing plain about it. I like the way you arranged the portrait and landscape photos. The Winter Tree Redux is Wow!!! It inspired me to do a Pixel Bender Oil Paint on one of my sunset photos. I don't think it came out quite as interesting as yours though.
Your church is incredible. It doesn't even look like a photo. The Circle Splash (I think) is so perfectly done and fits the church image to a T. Great idea!!!
Oh my, you are on a roll! The House on Waverly is whimsical and delightful. I love the colors and just everything about it. I think the people that live there would love to have this printed and framed!

Ted, Your creation is part sphere, part collage, part kaleido and all inspirational genius. Fantastic!

Karen, Great job on processing the photo of your father. It has a subtle painterly qualilty. I like both versions. Interesting about the ducks.

Here's my tree silhouette in Pixel Bender Oil Paint. It is actually a sunset, but that Beatles song has been running through my head all day, so ...

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #8964012

I went out very early this morning before sunrise. My poor bones were tired of sleeping on that skinny ground pad and it was so cold in that tent, I just wanted out. Warmed up in the truck. I don't know about this wild idea of camping out in State Parks to maximize my photography time. Now I'm thinking that camping is for youngsters. But, I bought the tent and I will use it! It was cool to get the sunset on Tuesday and then the moonset and the sunrise this morning. I was shooting both the moon and sun from the end of this pier and noticed that the pier was reflecting in the water. I loved the golden color that the rising sun painted on the pier.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #8964095

Oh, wow! Patti, WHO'S on a Roll? That tree silhouette is magical, mystical and beautiful (love that "sunburst"!) ... but that shot of the Pier, oh, my, oh, my ... gorgeous! As you know, I'm simply crazy for geometry, and this is exquisite ... like a row of Greek letters (which one?) ... only one thing I could say ... perhaps the frame is a distraction ... that shot is so marvelous it needs absolutely no embellishment!

Oh, yeah, camping is for youngsters, but ... you go, girl! (Suffering makes great art?)
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
7:48 PM

Post #8964222

So, Patti, I'm anxiously awaiting your next masterpiece ...

In the meantime, here's some nonsense from me ... let's say it's a floating flotilla of flowering kale ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 11, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #8964226

And to make matters worse, how about a "winter tree redux kaleido" ... (Patti, I know you'll see some odd creatures in this one!) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #8964299

Thanks for the compliments on my pics, guys. I do enjoy playing with them. Maybe one day I will find a lot more time to do more playing and learn more techniques.

Jubilada, I love your Winter Tree Redux. Awesome! The Church one is really nice, and the House on Waverly is fantastic! The flowering kale reflection one is great, and that kaleido makes me think of Hindu mythology.

Patti, your pixel bender tree is so cool! I wish I had that on my program. I might try something else. Love the shot of the pier in the morning light. Really nice colors on that.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #8964342

Okay, one from me for tonight. My bed is calling my name. Don't know how you guys find time to do all the ones you do. Ya'll have a lot more experience than I, also, so can probably get stuff done a lot quicker.

Here's a pic of fall leaves. I adjusted the brightness and contrast a bit, then enamelized it. Pretty simple compared to what ya'll have done.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 11, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #8964343

Oops! Forgot the pic.

Karen

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 11, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #8964378

Karen, if I had some leaves as pretty as those in my yard, I'd enamelize them, too! Nice effect, gives a hearty texture to them.

Patti, the pier is your pièce de résistance tonight -- what color! And, as Jubilada noted, the lines and angles are just great. Personally, I saw a Sigma under there right off!

Jubilada, I like the church. You got a wonderful angle and the rays take it from there! If they saw your finished product, they'd probably want to use it for a church bulletin.

The dull sky, the drizzle, the dropping temps...couldn't wait to grab my camera and get some shots of all that! Well, I got the shot and I've been playing with it all night (instead of washing dishes, Karen). Here you will see the Cezanne version, with the original blended back in about 50%. I'm calling this one "Winter Sky".

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 11, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #8964380

And here you have the same shot after using Picnik Lo-Mo.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #8964442

I think we're ALL on a roll. Got up early and met with more goodies!

Jubilada, That is a fabulous, floating flotilla of flowering kale. I just wish it was fennel. :-) Seriously, I really like what you have done. Using that flood filter maximized the beautiful color of the kale. And the framing and kaleido add to the wonderful colors. Oh boy! Loving that Winter Tree Redux kaleido. And, yes, I see all sorts of critters and aliens and I just can't seem to stop staring at it. Very cool.

Karen, Wow! Beautiful leaves and your treatment really does add a wonderful 3D effect to the leaves. Great job!

Miss Mary, You have done a great job in capturing an intriguing combination of tree limbs with those upper branches reaching downward to the trees below in the distance. Beautifully seen and photographed! And, your treatments maintain the moodiness of the cold, overcast day. Hard to decide, but I think I slightly favor the Picnik version.

Jubilada, I think you were right. The pier looks better without the frame. I redid it and all I did was add a thin black stroke. Had to add something so the water wouldn't spill out. :-)

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #8964446

My home away from home. The moon setting early in the morning. When I got out of the tent, everything outside was dripping wet with dew. Yuck. I was so glad that I didn't leave my camera out with the remote timer taking an all night star trail. The only reason I didn't is because I knew the moon was going to come up and ruin it. Whew.

Orton and stroke

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #8964452

I was amazed at these shots. All I did was Raw adjustments. The first one was taken a bit up river and the river curves a lot. The light and reflections were different at each curve. I just kept quickly walking down river and snapping shots of this Blue-winged Teal pair. I really can't say enough about early morning light. It is magical.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
4:35 AM

Post #8964454

I cropped this one quite a bit to show the ducks a bit better. Light and reflections are just totally different and timing is less than a minute apart.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #8964460

One more for this morning and then I have to go take the tent down. I put it up in the living room yesterday so that it could completely dry out before I stow it. :-) I should take a photo of that. NOT.

Usually I try to avoid taking photos of critters near man made objects. But, I just thought these little guys were cute on their sign and bench perches. Jubilada, the arrangement and embellishment on my collage is incredibly dull compared to the ones you create. I'll have to work on that.

Edited to add Bird IDs: Top to bottom: Tufted Titmouse, Eastern Phoebe and Northern Mockingbird

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 7:43 AM

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #8964749

Oh, boy, lots of nice stuff here this morning!

Karen, very pretty fall leaves shot ... nice treatment!

Miss Mary, wonderful "winter sky" ... I like both of them!

Patti, the pier shot without the frame is just right! Love the moon in your "home away from home" shot. But, brrr, makes me shiver to think of how cold it must have been. The duck shots are great ... magical light, indeed! The bird shots in that collage are really so good, and what cute little guys they are! And it's not at all a dull collage ... and I like that you've alternated their direction ... my only suggestion would be to make each picture the same width (same depth is not necessary), and give each one a thin stroke (color up to you) ... I might also consider making the background graduated, but again, that's just something to play with ...
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #8964827

Good suggestions, Jubilada. Thanks! Here's one of deer where I did most of that ... Black stroke with yellow inner glow and graduated background.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #8964830

Hmmm. Image didn't load? Ah. I see what's wrong. I tried to load the psd. Duh. Try again.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #8964973

Playing with the pier photo. Pure Silliness. I did the Pixel Bender Radial Caleidoscope. Yes, that's how they spell it. Weird spelling for a really weird filter. That's another filter I didn't know I had. I think Adobe is sneaking into my computer at night and changing things. Or, maybe I'm just old and have terminal CRS.

Anyway, Radial Cscope, two flips, a dupe layer rotated and placed behind the first, A Gavin Hoey ball, new background, Flaming Pear flood, text and minor tweaks.

Those nanobots can really transform a pier in short order!

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 12, 2012
12:24 PM

Post #8964984

That's fantastic, Patti! The fact that you could come up with something as creative as that positively proves you're on top of your game! None of that "old" stuff! Planet Yllis sounds like a wonderful place to me and I hope someday to find myself having a blast there!

Great work!!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #8964993

Patti, thank heavens Miss Mary said it all ... I'm utterly speechless! Bravo!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #8965011

Gee I take a nap and you all flood this with creations.
Pattie you need to go home you are having too much fun. LOL
Jubilada those all are wonderful and a joy to look at and figure out how you do them all.
Mary love the effect you did on the sky line. Beautiful.

I was on flicker yesterday and doing a challenge game. Taking two photos and coming up with your own creation. These were the two photos.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #8965016

This was my input to the contest.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
6:18 PM

Post #8965419

Ted, That looks like it was a very difficult contest. You did a great job of using the first photo to link all of the elements of the second. I can't imagine what I could do with that. Not much.

I put this together with a series of shots I took of a Great Egret and a Great Blue Heron. I don't have a clue what they were thinking, but I do think I spooked them. Not a good thing.

EDIT: Hmmmm. Looks too small to read on my monitor. I think DG downsized it. I should have done it as two posts. Oh well.

This message was edited Jan 12, 2012 9:21 PM

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 12, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #8965543

A little frivolity from me tonight...my "Winter Sky" Cezanne from above, with a few doo-dads added here and there, PSP Kaleido effect applied, PSE circular cut-out and spherize effect applied, etc., etc., ad nauseum...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #8965551

Great shots, everyone!

Patti, I love your collages, and I especially like what you did with the egret and heron shots. That kaleido sphere you made from the pier shot is way cool, and I love the moonrise shot. Those blue winged teal shots on the river are great. I especially like the the first one with the turquoise water. Very pretty.

Miss Mary, Your Winter Sky pics are great, especially the first one.

Ted, your creation for the contest is splendid. I could not have come up with that. Back almost 15 years ago (boy, does time fly, sure doesn't seem that long) I was going to a college for graphic design. Sure wish I could have finished, but a bankruptcy prevented me from getting more loans to continue. Anyhow, I used to look at other students' work and would think, "I'm not that creative. I never would have come up with that. My brain just isn't wired to think that way." Though I do think I'm creative in my own way, it seems to be in a very traditional way, for the most part, and I can't seem to think that far out of the box. Maybe I don't give myself enough credit. Maybe I just need to study other people's work more.

Well, here are some collages from me. Some from recently, and some from early last year. I do like making them, and I think I have a good eye for them. Any constructive critiquing from ya'll would be much welcome.

This first one is of my friend Gretchen on one of our nature hikes at a local preserve.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #8965552

Miss Mary, we cross posted. That winter sky kaleido sphere creation is cool.

Here's that collage from above put into a frame. Had to rearrange the text a bit.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #8965553

and here's the pic...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #8965559

Here's a collage of a blue fern I bought, which didn't survive, btw. Too dry in my house for the poor thing. I found out after making this collage that it was a bears foot fern.

Karen

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #8965561

again, the omission of the picture...

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #8965562

Coreopsis collage

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #8965564

Snowdrops and crocus collage. Can't wait to see these again!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #8965566

Crocus collage.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #8965567

Crocus collage 2

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #8965570

Dad and peonies.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:44 PM

Post #8965571

Dry garden plants.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #8965573

Early spring collage.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #8965574

Hamamelis (witch hazel) collage.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:48 PM

Post #8965577

Peonies collage.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
8:51 PM

Post #8965583

Last one for now. Snowdrops collage.

Karen

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #8966244

TAR, your photographic compilation is very creative indeed ... nice work! (Did you win?)

Miss Mary, that globe and treatment is just so darling ... very Asian flavor ... a good candidate for a Sumi-e painting?

Karen, there's no doubt you have a knack for collages ... and moreover, it appears you're quite the gardener. From the looks of all those lovely photographs, you must have a beautiful garden! ... full of happy and charming plants!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #8966288

Miss Mary, The winter sky kaleido is pure creativity. Very nicely arranged.

Karen, you have done a great job with those collages. It is nice to see such a variety of ways to make them.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #8966309

One from me. I played with the deer photos using the Radial Caleidoscope feature in Pixel Bender, spherize and some other stuff.

Not sure if it is a Deer Merry-Go-Round or a Merry Deer-Go-Round. :-)

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #8966397

Very cute "deers going merrily 'round," Patti ...

I've been playing with that RadialCaleido (it's kind of tricky to get the hang of, but sufficiently interesting to keep me busy wasting time with it ...)

Here's one of winter trees (original back there in the collage of Jan 10) ... and inspired by Karen's "enamelized" leaves, I applied the "plastic wrap" filter ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #8966398

Then, inspired by Patti's pier globe masterpiece, I did a globe thing with Flaming Pear flood ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #8966401

And because I don't know when to quit, here's one of flowering kale ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #8966420

Jubilada, Love all the critters in the winter tree caleido and all the wonderful colors in the flowering kale one. But, oh, my goodness, the globes floating on the water!!!! So fantastic. Everything just fits beautifully together and made me say, "Wow" at least a dozen times. Love the background, the colors of the globes, the reflections, the positioning of the globes. It is simply perfection!

And, yes, that RadCaleido is a little weird. At first, I couldn't figure out how to get the focal point out of the upper left corner.

This is the first one I did. It started as a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker in a tree. I couldn't figure out how to get any of the woodpecker colors in it and pretty much just gave up. Then I played some more and sort of figured it out.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #8966422

This is where that last one started...

The little "sucker" is so proud of all of the holes he has drilled in that tree. I swear he leaned back so I could see them all.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #8966453

Very cool, Patti and Jubilada. I have to say you two have mastered doing those kaliedos. I'll have to try playing with that feature sometime. I especially like the spheres on the water. Very cool!

Thanks for the compliments on my collages. I enjoy making them. They're a lot of fun. I do enjoy the gardening, too. My gardens look great, the ones I have taken care of, that is. I have quite a few that have been neglected due to lack of time. I just have way more than I have time to take care of. Every year I say I'm gonna get a handle on it, but then I don't.

Karen
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #8966598

Patti, very nice shot of the sapsucker ... he's a real cutie-pie, and he should be proud ... interesting RadCaleido, too ...

I have wasted the better part of this afternoon fiddling around with that darn filter, trying to figure out some kind of formula, and I'm getting close, however, what do you think of this result? I was rather surprised ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #8966631

One more, then I must stop ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #8966847

Oh, that church one is amazing. That's more than just the Rad Caleido filter, isn't it? The pattern is so cool, but what really amazes me is all the fine detail you got. You and your lens did a great job of focusing on that shot!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #8966863

Very cool, Jubilada! I like the second one best.

Karen
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #8967220

Thanks, folks ... Patti, I applied the RadCaleido to the church picture I previously posted here, which indeed had many different filters, etc. applied ... but in this case, only the RadCaleido ...
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #8967246

Oh! I get it. Duh. I'm slow, but I get there. Very cool image!

I'm still wading through photos. I got to play hide and seek with one of my favorite water birds again. These little comical birds fascinate me. This one was similar to a few other Pied-billed Grebes I've encountered. He was very curious and kept diving under and surfacing closer and closer to me. He would pop up (sometimes just his head as in this photo) and look at me to make sure I was still watching. What a little cutie. Sometimes I would move while he was under and he had to look for me. Fun interactions.

Lowered saturation on the vegetation to try focusing attention more on the bird. Did a bit of gardening to remove some of the worst distracting grasses. Ran Pixel Bender Oil Paint on a duplicate layer. Added layer mask and painted out about 70% of the effect on the bird. Brown stroke frame.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #8967254

Pattie vey cool looking effect.
Jubilada nice work with that filter. Lioke the first one
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #8967599

Patti, your little Grebe portrait is very cute indeed, and quite a lot of manipulation steps you took there!

From these two originals (one circular cutout, one square) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #8967600

I made this collage of Kaleidos using the Pixel Bender RadCal filter (four from the circle, five from the square) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #8967641

Palm Tree RadCal ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #8967644

Peace Lily RadCal with Cassini Frame ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #8967830

Jubilada, Cool idea to do the collage. I never know where to stop with that filter, so the collage is a great way to illustrate so many of the possibilities.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 14, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #8967846

Well, well, well...

Karen, you really do have a flair for collages! I'm not sure which one is my favorite -- I think it would be the Witch Hazel, although I do like the ones with dark backgrounds, too. They're all so fine!

Jubilada and Patti, you are really coming up with some interesting images with that RadCal filter! Jubilada, I like your collage. Wow, the possibilities are just endless! Patti, the one you did with the tree bark -- that's really cool and the lichens really added a fanciness to it!

Another Camellia from me tonight:

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #8967866

MIss Mary, Wow! That's red!!! I think if you cut it, it will bleed. Very nice frame - quite elegant.

As usual, RT went with me on my little camping trip. And, as usual, he got into trouble again.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #8968525

Lovely Camellia, Miss Mary ...

And Patti, poor little RT ... what a predicament!

Here's a Fractal Rose Thing ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 15, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #8968592

It's so effervescent, Jubilada!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #8968852

Nasturtium RadCal ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
2:04 PM

Post #8968858

Rose RadCal ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #8968889

Rose RadCal 2 ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #8968930

One of our Sycamore Trees, near sundown ... several filters applied, playing with exposure ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #8968934

Neighbor's walnut tree ... same time of day ... several filters applied ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #8968939

And ... surprise ... Walnut Tree RadCal ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 15, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #8969361

These vapor trails really took on a frothy look as they hung around on this very still day. I used Picnik and PSE -- and added the bird just for fun.

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #8969772

Beautiful, guys! Love all the RadCal stuff. The trees are nice. I just love trees. Miss Mary, the bird adds a lot to that shot. The Pied-Billed Grebe is fantastic. Love the red on the camellia.

Karen
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2012
3:01 PM

Post #8970328

Mighty pretty vapor trail capture, Miss Mary ...

Here's a cloud collage, photos just second apart, taken yesterday late afternoon ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #8970398

Love the Collage's
Mary love the vapor trail one.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #8970675

Very nice collages, you two!

Karen
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #8970934

Jubilada, Love the RadCal work. My favorite is the RadCal rose collage. And the trees and tree collage are very pretty. Amazing how different it is in just a very short time.

Miss Mary, Those vapor trails do look frothy and huge! And ditto on that bird - it really adds a lot.

Ted, Love that bird collage! I can't figure out what two of those birds are - the top ones.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #8971256

Wow, TAR, that is some striking bird collage! Nice work! Very subtle kaleido background!

Here's a couple more RadCals from me ... Pansy with PixelBender Kaleido frame ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #8971257

Calendula ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #8971983

Hope this one looks like a RadCaleido

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 17, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #8972094

TAR, not only is that RAD, it's Fractal Rad ... cool! Astounding!

nutsfordaylily

nutsfordaylily
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #8972098

Very nice, Jubilada and Ted! I love all 3!

Karen
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #8972932

Cool stuff!

I think I see some kitties in that last RadCal, Jubilada. Ted, that is Rad! Fantastic pattern and colors.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 18, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #8973028

Patti, you know I had to go back and look for those cats! Sure enough, there they were, peeking out from behind the petals.

Good work on those, Jubilada.

Ted, you're definitely "in the groove"!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #8973148

I was photographing this Eastern Bluebird and didn't really notice until I got home that he was standing on a Rad Cal tree patch. I couldn't think of anything more to do to it. Mother Nature did it for me.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #8973241

Wow, Patti, that's such a wonderful photograph! Well done! ... and it IS a RadCal tree patch!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 18, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #8973280

Well, now we know the answer to the age-old riddle...art definitely imitates life!

Patti, I love that photo. That adorable little bird looks so serene and unruffled, in direct contrast to the tree scar, which is full of turbulent lines and grooves. I'm giving you a gold star for that one!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #8973401

LOL. Thanks Jubilada and Miss Mary. Miss Mary, I'm afraid I might lose that gold star when you see what I've done to that adorable bird. A RadCal Bluebird special dinner plate.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #8973458

Oh, Patti, tsk tsk ... Miss Mary, what do you think ... take away the gold star???
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #8973479

Patti Mother nature has it down pat. Beautiful shot
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #8973574

One done with Layer Manipulation

Thumbnail by TARogers5

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #8974768

Ted,

Wow! That is some creation! The owl makes a fantastic subject. The patterns, globes and colors remind me of Native American art.

Another camping photo from me. This one was DAPped with a DAP filter created by one of the users. It's called Landscape2. This was very early in the morning. The sun is behind me and very low in the sky, so my shadow is on the tent. Original photo was sort of dull, so I hoped that I could punch it up a bit with DAP.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #8975382

Pati the landscape 2 worked wonders. I could not resist using your blue bird. Hope you did not mind

Thumbnail by TARogers5

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2012
9:12 AM

Post #8975389

Second version which is best.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #8975427

Ted, Wheeee. That bluebird is having fun. I don't mind at all and enjoyed seeing your results!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #8975837

TAR, your "layer manipulation" creation is remarkable and ingenious ... mystical and colorful and intriguing ... that bird face morphing into a winged head is fabulous ... you had fun with Patti's bluebird, too, and those are very cute!

Patti, your tent-shadow photo is intriguing, too ... interesting and pleasing result with that Landscape2 ...

I played around a bit more with one of my winter walnut tree pics ... pixel bender oil and stereo ... plus multiple layers with different blend modes, and then a frame ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #8975892

Ive always loved winter trees to see all their intricate shapes. Nicely done and love the background you created.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
6:15 PM

Post #8975926

Jubilada,

Ditto what Ted said! Fantastic treatment! The lighter color for the tree really accentuates the intricate, interwoven network of branches. And the background colors and pattern are eye catching, gee whiz wow! Love it!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 20, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #8976117

Patti, you can keep the gold star, but I'm putting you on probation. Actually, the dinner plate's quite unique. Personally, I'd have a hard time eating my chicken while looking into that sweet little birdie face...

Jubilada, that's quite a winter tree. I can only second what Patti and TAR have already said. That's really cool!

I'm not sure what this is but I kind of like it. I made two totally different kaleidos from a cutout of a photo of a Milkweed seed head and just went from there.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #8977023

Miss Mary,

I'll be good. Promise.

Your creation is amazing! That bottom layer looks a bit like a dinner plate. I love all the shadows from the top layer on the bottom. The white pattern of swirls is wonderful. Abstract art at its finest!

Gavin Hoey has a new video out ... http://www.youtube.com/user/PhotoGavin#g/u
Painting with Light. Very cool.

Patti
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #8977600

Mary such 3 D effect. Sure stands out, Nice work
Here is close up of flower bloom done with Flaming Pear

Thumbnail by TARogers5

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 22, 2012
4:45 PM

Post #8978135

Patti, the video is fascinating. I'm looking forward to seeing some attempts at that from those of you who have the equipment and experience to pull it off. I'll bet the possibilities would be endless, once you get the hang of it.

More kaleidos from me. I started this one with a cutout of some Japanese Maple foliage...

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #8978151

Patti, thanks for that link ... the concept of photographic "painting" with light absolutely fascinates me ... I'd love to try it sometime ...

Miss Mary, your kaleidos are delightful ... that Japanese Maple cutout is very creative ...

TAR, looks like that poppy's been taking some of its own medicine (lol) ... whew!

I little walk in the dreary grey day here, and here's a tree (much manipulation in raw and Topaz, and I removed a lamp post) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #8978152

A junco (spelling?) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #8978153

Ravens on a roof (crows, blackbirds, whatever ...)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #8978155

Palm Tree against a cloudy sky ... lots of manipulation and some Topaz stuff ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 23, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #8979058

Jubilada, you do have an eye for trees with character. I'd never have guessed that one had much manipulation at all. Great work!

Well, I've been enjoying using Picnik. This was their announcement today (hope the screen shot capture is big enough to read here). The good news is that, for the next few months, all the features will be free for use.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 23, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #8979362

Rex, my neighbor's big baby...um, I mean, watchdog:

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #8979517

Ted, That is one wild and crazy poppy!

Jubilada, Love those birdies!

Miss Mary, Thanks for the heads-up on Picnik. I'll have to go check it out and now I'll get to play with the ones that were off limits before. I love that sweet puppy face. Those eyes are calling me.
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #8979519

Awww, him SO a big baby ... and him watchin', too! (Nice shot, Miss Mary!)
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #8979726

Here's an interesting pot of flowers ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #8979729

And a tree Kaleido, done in my regular old way ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 23, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #8979916

Whoa, baby! Jubilada, that tree kaleido is a real knockout! Awesome!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 24, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #8980370

Jubilada love the tree Kaleido and the 3D effect. The pot of roses is different nature cant do that.
Mary the shot of the dog looking thru the fence is just great.
Here is my Ugly Duckling

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
8:19 AM

Post #8980442

Well, TAR, I don't think that Duckling is ugly, he's kinda cute. Very cool effects in that one!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 24, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #8980499

Nothing like a little Cold Duck now and then...
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #8981109

Well, Miss Mary said it all. That tree kaleido is awesome and I can't top Cold Duck. LOLOL.

Here's a composite of 4 photos of this Northern Harrier. This is my nemesis bird - okay, well, one of my nemesis birds. Up until now I didn't have even a half way decent shot of this bird. Now I have 4! Wheee.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 24, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #8981118

Wow, Patti -- excellent! Look at the clarity in those...gosh, that's just plain awesome! Beautiful work, Patti.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 24, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #8981152

The temps here have been above normal for this time of year and some of my plants think it's Spring already...this Spirea usually starts blooming about mid-March.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 24, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #8981320

Camellia -- DAPped, Picnikked, Topazzed and PSE'd...

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 10:09 PM

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #8981373

Miss Mary, Both images are beautiful! I love the depth you achieved with the Spirea and the lighting on the background is fantastic. The Camellia itself is lovely, but your creation is incredible! The painterly look on the foliage accents the flower. The background looks as if it is slick and shiny and just waiting for something to reflect. I love the bold colors.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #8981397

One more from me and then off to dream land ...

My little Vermillion Flycatcher is still hanging out in the same place. I didn't see him for about 10 minutes or so and was getting worried, but he showed up. There were a jillion Northern Cardinals.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #8981502

Up bright and early and back at it ...

Very approachable Red-shouldered Hawk. I approached from a distance and got this shot and then I just quietly meandered closer and closer and kept shooting. I think I could have gotten right under him. He looked at me every now and then, but didn't seem concerned.

Pixel Bender oil

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #8981508

Closest I got to him ...

Framed.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #8981512

That Northern Harrier - my favorite of the 4 shots.

Mega noise reduction

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
5:31 AM

Post #8981519

Since I first saw the little Vermillion Flycatcher doing his aerobatic thing catching flying bugs, I have wanted to get a photo of him in flight. It is darn near impossible for me. He sits nicely and I can take a ton of photos while he is sitting still. But, when he sees a bug, he immediately jumps off of the perch and darts to the bug, snatches it out of the air and then flies back to either the same perch or one nearby. I'm waaaay too slow.

Yesterday, I got an almost decent shot. Through use of Find Edges and every sharpening trick I know, it is almost a good shot, but I couldn't do much to help that little blur of a bug. I'll keep trying to get a better one, but for now ...

VF and Lunch

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #8981525

Most of my BIF (bird in flight) shots are of bird behinds. But, in this case, it was a good thing. These Blue-winged Teal are showing off their beautiful wing colors.

Drastic noise reduction and cleaned up some floating debris off of the water

Two Guys and a Girl

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
5:37 AM

Post #8981530

Great Blue Heron Scenic

vignette

Thumbnail by P_Edens

grits74571
Talihina, OK

January 25, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #8981570

great pix Patti ,birds are the very reason I ever got started in photography..

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 25, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #8981797

Patti -- what a lovely array! Of course, the "red birds" caught my eye first. I could watch Cardinals all day long. The VF is really a stunning little bird, isn't it?

You got closer to that hawk than I would ever have had the courage to. Hawks scare me. Do they harm people or are they just interested in smaller prey? Wonderful shot, in any case. They are really majestic birds.

I really like the single Harrier shot. Now that looks like it should be on a page in Audubon's! Look at the form and finesse you were able to catch and draw out!

Wonderful shots, every one of them!
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #8981843

Pattie those are great shots you caught. Great detail and a lot of time spent. Love them.
Mary love the two you done. Lots of detail and depth. and tones.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #8981851

Thanks, Grits. Uh-oh. I think I broke your instructor's rule on that last one. Water is spilling out all over the place. :-) And I don't think the horizon is level either. Whew. Landscape photography is killing me. Bird photography is my passion. I love all nature photography, but the birds keep me going.

Thanks, Miss Mary. I've never heard of a hawk hurting a person, but that doesn't mean that they haven't. They will take out small dogs and cats, though.

Thanks, Ted. I am really enjoying having that time to spend. Wish I could have retired 10 years ago.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #8981906

I tried something today. Screen capture of a slide in a slide show to see how well it would come out.
Then ran it thru Topaz B and White filter. Was surprised at the result.
Capture first then the result.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2012
11:34 AM

Post #8981907

Not Bad

Thumbnail by TARogers5

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #8981916

Sorry Pattie could not help myself

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #8982141

Patti, your bird photos are excellent! Love that little Vermillion Flycatcher! And not to worry, your landscapes are pretty spectacular, too!

Miss Mary, lovely Spirea and Camellia creations!

TAR, you're having too much fun! That's a very nice result on the slide capture!

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 25, 2012
8:50 PM

Post #8982506

I did this one with DAP Aquarell and Monet, but couldn't decide which one I liked best. After blending the original back into each a bit, I blended the two styles together.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #8983280

Ted, Those birdies fit into that photo nicely. :-)

Miss Mary, That is gorgeous! Wow! I never would have thought to use DAP on a moonshot. Great idea and execution.

Here are some of the 'shrooms growing after all the rain we got out at the property.

Picnik - Orton, vignette, vibrance and frame. Went overboard with Picnik.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #8983288

We got over 5 inches of rain - the 5 inch rain gauge was overflowing and the pond was too. It is completely back up and flowing out of the overflow pipe. The wind was pretty strong, so we were lucky that only one tree fell on the fence. I went my myself to check out the place this morning, so DH and I will have to go back and take care of that tree. I don't do chain saws.

Tree on Fence
Orton, Stroke frame

Thumbnail by P_Edens

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #8983340

New Toy Topaz Stars
Lots of rain here in lake Texoma

This message was edited Jan 26, 2012 6:05 PM

Thumbnail by TARogers5

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #8983364

One more and good night
Mary love the moon photo work.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #8983502

Oooh, nice moon Miss Mary!

Patti, those mushrooms look pretty magical! And, that poor old tree ... at least you'll get some firewood, yes?

TAR, you're having fun with that new Topaz app ... don't know if I'm going to get taken in with that one, however ... Your lily is lovely (and sparkly!) ...

Here's a photo from this morning out at the community gardens ... and it's basically to illustrate a little story ... that bench is one of two that some local boy scouts constructed and set out there as part of a "community" project to earn Eagle Scout badges ... this was sometime last spring, and I wondered at the time how long those benches would actually stay there, since they were certainly not bolted down to anything ... sure enough, a couple of weeks ago one of them was gone ... wonder how long this one will be there ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #8984619

As my Dad used to say, "Storia senza parole."

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #8984620

One more "story without words."

Thumbnail by P_Edens

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #8984648

Pattie he says you need a clear view of the beautiful lake.
Jubilada its a shame they cannot be left for such a good cause. People!
Another of my tries to make use of my new toy.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #8984679

Poor little guy's

Thumbnail by TARogers5

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #8984744

Ted, Those Topaz stars are very cool. I love the horse image! That is so creative. The leaves have an incredible 3D appearance! Awwwe, the critters stranded on the iceberg are so cute.

Jubilada, I'm surprised the benches stayed put for as long as they did. Houston put some benches in the park by City Hall. They put the legs in about 4 inches of concrete. It is a shame that so many people think stealing is okay. That's a nice photo. Makes me want to go sit under a tree and read a book.

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 27, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #8984867

Patti, your 'shrooms really are lovely. I like the result of those effects. I don't think you've overdone anything.
Jubilada, that really is a lovely sight -- the bench under the sprawling tree. Glad you got a picture of it. It's really a shame that people can't just leave things alone for everyone to enjoy.
TAR, I took the bait on that new Topaz filter pack as well but haven't played with my new toy yet. Guess I'd better get at it since the 30-day clock is ticking. Sure looks like you're having fun with it.

In my front yard this afternoon...(Picnik):

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 27, 2012
9:20 PM

Post #8984940

Okay, playing with the new toy now. I took this picture last week of a lot in my neighborhood, which is being cleared to build a Dollar store. The wonderful old building that was razed had been there for many decades and it was such a sad thing to see it go. I enhanced the light in the puddle with the new Topaz filter.

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2012
7:44 AM

Post #8985286

Very good. I love the natural look of it and the great shot lof that lot. I took your photo in the front yard and used the filter. Does a great job.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
11:11 AM

Post #8985488

Interesting "stories" without words, Patti ... now is that the work of an axe or a beaver? Doesn't look like a chainsaw to me!

That some spectacular sky you captured there, Miss Mary!

TAR, I guess I'm going to have to break down and try that new Topaz filter, just to see if I really "need" it. Love those leaves, they're brilliant and sparkly! And, that's a nice job with Miss Mary's clouds!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #8985490

Went to San Francisco yesterday, so took along my trusty G10 to catch a few snaps ...

Here's a tower along Harrison (or Howard?) ... don't know exactly what it is (it's NOT the Millennium Tower, that I do know) ... this has been straightened and cropped and processed in raw and not much more ... and that sunburst is in the photo! (F8 at 1/250, ISO 100, AND, much to my chagrin, as every photo taken yesterday, exposure compensation set to plus 1!) ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #8985492

Naturally, can never resist this "Cupid's Arrow" ... cropped and straightened ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #8985496

Seagull in flight ... cropped, filters, blah, blah ... the ONLY bird I've EVER caught in flight, and yes, it's out of focus ... rendering it somewhat "impressionistic," enough to be somewhat "arty" ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #8985500

Walking along Market Street ... straightened and a little extra RAW stuff ... (f3.5, 1/50 s)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #8985501

This adorable little Fiat caught my fancy ... (2 views ... each f2.8, 1/250 s)

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #8985503

Chef statue on a roof ... nope, I haven't a clue ... it's just that one of my friends said "Ooooh, look at that!"

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #8985516

One Market Restaurant ... a great place! The food is divine!

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #8985518

Streetlamps and skyscrapers ... cropped, straightened, etc.

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 28, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #8985667

Jubilada, I especially like "Walking along Market Street"! Wow, I can just feel those tall buildings overshadowing me on all sides. If I look at that one long enough, I am transported right into it! Good work!

Well, kids, Fotosketcher is now at 2.25. Really, I'm only seeing a couple of new things in it. This one is called Emergence, and I've blended the original back a little to soften it some. The frame isn't FS (I wish they'd make us some new ones!).

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #8985844

Jubilada you are having a geat time. Nice little car to play with.
Never tried Fotosketched. Sure looks great.
Star light, star bright, can you see the fire flies tonight

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #8985901

First of all TAR, that's just eerily beautiful! But, wow, what a mess of fireflies!

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #8985905

Miss Mary, I downloaded FotoSketcher 2.25, and kind of have to agree with you ... I really like your "emergence" example (very nice photo), and that's a very cool frame.

I've also downloaded Topaz Star Filter, and am not sure I'm going to spring for it ...

These are the two things I came up with (got the frame inspiration from Miss Mary's example) ...

Gulls ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #8985906

Skyscrapers ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 28, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #8985925

Nice Idea on the use of the multiple frames for a great 3D effect. Them tall buildings do twinkle.
Added a little to the photo.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 28, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #8986170

Well, I have been playing with the Expressive Brushstrokes setting in Fotosketcher. I had to dig out a picture from November since everything is brown and dull here right now. I think I like it -- at least with this photo.

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
2:13 AM

Post #8986212

Miss Mary,

I love those clouds! That's the type of sky I dream about having when I'm photographing a beautiful landscape out at a National Park. But, I ususally just get overcast or bright cloudless skies. So sad to see nice old buildings with so much character torn down. I like your PJ (photojournalism) shot of the area. It gets the message across.

Thanks for the heads-up on the new Fotosketcher. I'll have to download it and play. I love that image with the bridge. I remember it from before. It is such a wonderful composition and the matte for the frame is very clever!

Great job with that expressive brushstrokes filter. Fantastic effect on the trees in the foreground. And, the trees in the background have a subtle "frosted" look that I really like.

Ted,

I like what you did with that filter on Miss Mary's clouds. That is a nice effect that looks very real, as opposed to the firefly image that is very surreal. It is dreamy and very cool. And that last firefly one is electrified! Wow.

Jubilada,

Jubilada wrote:Interesting "stories" without words, Patti ... now is that the work of an axe or a beaver? Doesn't look like a chainsaw to me!...

My beaver buddies did those. There were at least 15 new trees downed by the beavers just immediately around the pond. Mostly they are targeting the smaller trees, 3 or 4 inches in diameter. But they did take out some that were around 8 or 10 inches and they are still working on one that is about 20 to 24 inches.

The photos you took on your walk are, as always, fun to see. That little car is so cute! I wonder if it belongs to either the dad or son hockey player (name on license plate). I think one of them was living in Anaheim area recently.

Superb BIF (bird in flight)! Whatever you did to it makes it appear to be very sharp and in focus. And, the background is awesome! That's the hardest BIF shot for me. My camera always wants to shift focus to the background. A nice plain old sky is easiest, but not nearly as interesting. Very cool!
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #8986236

Playing with Fotosketcher Emergence. I played with the sliders to minimize the effect and also blended back with original, added some texture and a frame. I like it!

Red-eared Slider

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
3:50 AM

Post #8986237

Same technique on the Harrier

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
3:51 AM

Post #8986238

And the Blue-wing Teal

Thumbnail by P_Edens

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #8986240

I did the same technique on three of the deer photos - Dad, youngster and Mom
Then I took those three and added to a texture background and did the Gavin Hoey triptych technique.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 29, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #8986349

Patti, you're on a roll. You have that technique down! Oh, those are beautiful! I especially like the Harrier. Man, those are great.

Your poor trees! I remember your photos in the past. Those animals are really destructive. Leave it to beavers...
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #8987064

Well Pattie, Mary guess I will have to look l inrto Fotosketcher Emergence. You all are having way too much fun.
I took one I did before. Broken Dreams and applied Topaz Stars to a duplicate that I increased the brightness and contrast. Then blended it back into the original. What you think.

Thumbnail by TARogers5

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #8987473

Well, Patti, as Miss Mary says, you have truly "nailed" that Fotosketcher Emergence app ... nice work! Very impressive!

TAR, what can I say ... words fail me ... that is one spectacular psychedelic creation ... wow!

I played around with Fotosketcher Emergence a bit more, and applied a few other things to this, like the Topaz Stars, "Bird of Paradise" ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #8987474

The Saucer Magnolias are starting to flower ... #1 ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #8987476

And... #2 ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 29, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #8987492

Jubilada, those Saucer Magnolias really are delightful. I like #1 especially -- maybe because it has a bit of Victorian charm to it. It just makes me smile!

FS Expressive Brushstrokes on this Camellia (at Dixon Gardens last November) and a Picnik frame:

P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #8988346

HelloMissMary wrote: ... Leave it to beavers...

Thanks Miss Mary!. I really need to laugh about it more. It is rather comical that those little brown fuzzies have managed to defeat me at every turn. But, it ain't over yet. I'm not singin'. LOL!

Love that camellia image! That is a pretty color, but I like the color of your camellias even better.

Ted, that wild globe is awesome! I'd love to see that pattern on a glass ball and hang it where the sun could stream through it. Do check out Fotosketcher. For a free program it does some neat things.

Jubilada, I like that Bird of Paradise image. The Topaz Stars really make it pop. The saucer magnolias are so pretty. Do they have a fragrance like the southern magnolia?

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 30, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #8988592

Fotosketcher Camellia

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #8988802

Lovely Camellias, Miss Mary ...

Here's a Paper White RadCal ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #8988809

Flowering Shrub, Orange Tree, Gnarly Oak ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 30, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #8988848

Jubilada, the Gnarly Oak is fantastic. I really like the frame. It would never have occurred to me to use so much blue to frame that -- and it's great! The Orange Tree and (Abelia maybe?) are perfectly placed at the feet of that old giant to draw my eye upward into its tentacles. I just keep going back to look at it again and again. Excellent work.
TARogers5
Kingston, OK
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #8989303

Oh! Jubilada that one really caught my eye. Great work in composing it and with that frame it really stands out. It draws your eye tro the tree with all its splender.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #8989316

Ditto what has been said, Jubilada. Excellent composition! And, cool frame.
P_Edens
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
11:27 AM

Post #8989513

Couldn't get the whole bird in the frame, so cropped it to a headshot.

Thumbnail by P_Edens

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 31, 2012
12:10 PM

Post #8989571

Way cool, Patti! Look at that eye! Love the simplicity you maintained in that. Simplicity with an exclamation point!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #8989800

Wow, Patti, what a shot. What clarity! And such a serious looking bird!
Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
3:51 PM

Post #8989804

Here's a Camellia from the Gamble Garden Center ...

Thumbnail by Jubilada

Jubilada
Palo Alto, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #8989821

And, with that, I decided to start a new thread ...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1240433/

C'mon over everyone!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Photos Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the photo forum! dave 34 May 3, 2013 10:18 AM
My tractor and I, Part II dave 52 Sep 27, 2009 7:18 PM
Spring Spring! and my bowling ball! nicole_in_nc 6 Apr 21, 2010 3:35 PM
Riesentraube tomatoes dave 4 Feb 9, 2008 3:25 AM
It's a Bird...It's a Plane....It's Superdave! gardenwife 27 Nov 18, 2007 7:53 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America