Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression: Garden spirits

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & DepressionReplies: 1, Views: 17
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
gloria125
Greensboro, AL

January 10, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #8961677

I learned to garden and about the trees and plants in our woods from my mother some 70 years ago. So when I am weeding, I still remember. "Just pretend they are German's" --- we were at war with Germany at the time, so weeding was one way to save the world from Hitler's encroachment in my mind. And when I weed, prune, and plant in my yard my mother is with me still.

Gardens not only connect us with nature, but also with the spirits of those who have gone before us.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #8961719

gloria125, I couldn't agree more! I think of my great-grandfather and my mother who both liked to garden. Gardening does connect you with those like-spirits, making it another reason to be there.

Thank you for reading and sharing your touching memories.
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article DEMinPA 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:04 AM
Lovely article ... and so true Cville_Gardener 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:09 AM
Catharsis HelloMissMary 1 Jan 10, 2012 8:08 AM
Very nice, thank you NY2CA 4 Jan 10, 2012 7:27 PM
Respite... Gymgirl 2 Jan 10, 2012 2:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America