Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression: Catharsis

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & DepressionReplies: 1, Views: 21
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

HelloMissMary

HelloMissMary
Memphis, TN

January 10, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #8961723

During my mother's last two years and now after her passing, a time of intense emotional upheaval for me, I found myself drawn to gardening for the first time in my life. I used to return home from upsetting nursing home visits, grab a shovel and start digging. Many times I laughed as I told family and friends that I was weathering the emotional stress fairly well, but the yard was full of holes.

There is really something to all that you've said, BEV -- at least for me. Having multiple allergies and other health issues has made it challenging, to say the least. But my little gardens, which will never win awards of any kind, have been the best stage for my grieving process to play out.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #8961746

OK, you made me cry! We have very similar experiences with our mothers passing. The nursing home visits destroyed me mentally and physically. I have hay fever once a year (when itís hay-cutting time), but Iíll don a bandana, or stuff tissues in my pockets, and shovel away until my hands hurt. My condolences for the loss of your mother, but we can both look out into our yards now to see and remember them everywhere.

Thank you so much for reading and posting your experiences.
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article DEMinPA 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:04 AM
Lovely article ... and so true Cville_Gardener 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:09 AM
Garden spirits gloria125 1 Jan 10, 2012 7:48 AM
Very nice, thank you NY2CA 4 Jan 10, 2012 7:27 PM
Respite... Gymgirl 2 Jan 10, 2012 2:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America