Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression: Very nice, thank you

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & DepressionReplies: 4, Views: 26
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #8961911

I went through a similar experience losing my mother a little over a year ago and just lost two beloved dogs both over the holidays. The grief and financial stress had combined to make things very very difficult for me. I've been trying to do more walking lately and it does help. Now I am eyeing my garden (I am not really much of a gardener...they let me on Dave's Garden on a waiver I think :-). I would like to plant more and my flower box up front is due for something more interesting than the poinsettias which are starting to look a bit tired. Thanks for the thoughtful inspiration.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #8961980

You are very welcome, and you have my sincerest condolences for your losses. We lost our little dog of 14 years just before the holidays which compounded the melancholy mood around the house. Do continue your walking and start some planting projects if you can, anything to get those hands in the dirt! I think the majority of Dave's Gardeners have learned through trial-and-error, myself included, so don't feel down about that at all! I learn something new everyday, sometimes it's my limitations ;-), or that some plants just don't want to live here, lol.

I'm so glad you took the time to read the article and post your comments!
Take care,
--
Bev
NY2CA
Pasadena, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 10, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #8962103

LOL...I'm going to use that..."the plant was suicidal I think...there was nothing I could do" :-))

Lee

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 10, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #8962627

was going to start my own thread as a thank you for this inspiring article but after reading NY2CA's posts, decided to post here. i know, as most of us do, the human losses and they are hard enough but losing my beloved dog almost four years ago just about sent me over the edge. gardening has been a huge help since enormous grief over losing an animal is something not everyone understands and therefore often is held inside.
thank you.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 10, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #8962746

I agree! There is a definite void when a long-time constant companion (human or animal) is lost! Some of us spend more time, and have a more meaningful relationship, with our four-legged companions than some of the humans in our lives. We feel the need to mourn their losses in private which can be even more devastating. I think we are all very fortunate to have had a gardening hobby to help us through the emotionally stressful times.

Thank you both for adding your experiences to this thread and hope others are helped to know they are not alone in their grief of a pet.
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article DEMinPA 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:04 AM
Lovely article ... and so true Cville_Gardener 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:09 AM
Garden spirits gloria125 1 Jan 10, 2012 7:48 AM
Catharsis HelloMissMary 1 Jan 10, 2012 8:08 AM
Respite... Gymgirl 2 Jan 10, 2012 2:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America