Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

anyone elses amorph konjoc comming alive ?

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

thought id ask..im a complete newbie with amorphs.. i have 4 ..good sized A.konjac.. each
around 8#.. all have spike from 4" to the one that has come "alive" its almost 8" now.. its grown
3" in the last week.. im pleased..
so i thought id seek out u all that are way more knowledgeable on amorphs..especially konjac...
i had to put the one with the growth in taller cupboard.. it was getting close to hitting top of
next shelf..LOL
i understand A.konjac can take their own sweet time when they want to grow their leaf stem.. seeking
correct naming ...
thanks to all..
looking foward to flowering !!!!!!!! not the smell...LOL

noonamah, Australia

Someone gave me 8 small konjac tubers not long back and they're all growing nicely. So I'm also on a bit of a learning curve for konjac. The tubers were all about marble size so they've got a lot of growing to do.

Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

So far none of mine are starting. Seems a bit early for them but it HAS been a mild winter so far. Keep them in a cooler spot if possible. Not cold but cooler. Maybe on the floor in a cooler room of your house. Mine are in a room where it's about 64-67 degrees F. Sitting on a stand unpotted.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

tommy .. ? so im taking from your message its a bit early for a flower spike to be starting?
thanks for the info..they are in room..darkish.. temps around.. 65F ish..
my gas/heat bill has been lower this yr .. weve had a really mild winter.. so far..
actually started some lettuce against the house (south facing) with glass window over them..
no sprouting yet.. but prob soon..if our weather stays this way..and begins to warm..
but.. the weather.. who know.. we take what we get..
thanks again tommy.....

Yes it is a bit too early for flower spiking. Dark isn't as important as temperature it seems to me.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I would like to know what it takes to get those bulbs to such a large size. I plant outside, in the ground in the summer, water, fertilze..........I have better luck getting gigantic amaryllis bulbs. LOL

Try putting it in a big POT with very well draining soil. Plenty of water and food. A little early morning Sun is o.k. but bright indirect light the rest of the day.

My 11 1/2 inch corm SHRUNK to 8 inches the year after it bloomed. it Weighed 13 pounds.

Here's the 13 Lb. with a 4lb corm on 2009...

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

So, if I put it/them in a large pot, can they just stay in the pot all the time.......no need to plant outside in the ground? And what kind of fertilizer? Miracle grow? Fish emulsion? I NEED to know. LOLOL

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

very cool corms tommy !!!! hope mine get huge over next several yrs !!!
of course writting that..i know im hooked now..and next fall..i'll be buying some big ones on ebay..
couple months ago.. seller i got my 2 biggest ones from..he had some HUGE ones up for auction..
newbie here..and i didnt want to spend to much $$$ for a corm that id kill..
but..im hooked now.. :)
i plan to put my konjac's out in gardens.. in rich/humus rich soil..
btw anna.. my amaryllis i put out..and actually paid attention to..lol.. got huge too !!!!
yea....

noonamah, Australia

The advantage of growng them in pots is that they don't get competition from other plant roots. Established roots will start to draw out nutrients as soon as their growing season commences. A tuber, like Amorphophallus, will only be starting to grow its root system then, it'll be well behind all the others. I grew a 2.27 metre tall Amorphophallus paeoniifolius in a pot which if in the ground would have been battling to achieve the same.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Tropicalnut.........how many $$$$ are we talking from the seller on ebay?

Anna, I use miracle grow or even an orchid fertilizer is fine. They stay in the pot until the leaf stalk flops over in the fall. Then you dig them out, cut off the leaf stalk, clean off the soil and dry the corm. Then bring inside and set it on a shelf. That's it!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Oh, well, I seem to own stock in Miracle Grow........as much as I buy in a year's time. LOL Works just fine.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

i was wondering about roots on amorphs going in sort of late.. at least will be
for me.. i think im going to start(when flower is done and to be potted up) put
them in a big pot with rich/good soil..
anna.. there were some really BIG corms that were 15" across..weighing in around
30#..i believe.. everytime i logged on to check them out..i just drooled..LOL
:)
i got my 2 biggest ones from same seller..just werent his/her biggest ones..
i think they went for $100s... for konjac.. theres a serious grower in mass..i think
that sells titianms.. he/she.. gets serious $$$ for those..
but..i know now that im hooked..if i see a BIGGIE like that up this fall.. yep..
i'll get one..LOL :)
its a drug ya know these plants...:)
??? tommy.. do u give any heavier dose of potash later in summer for food storage
of your amorphs?? sort of like you would to tulips/dalfs..etc...???
i was thinking with all that output of energy for the flower.. of course..i guess the
corm gets energy back from photosyn in leaves with foliage during the summer..
just wondering..
great stuff.. still looking foward to my stinky plants...

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Do you think it would be ok if I planted more than one in a large pot, or would it be better if each one had their own pot?

Each one in their own pot. About 2 times bigger than the corm is around.

tropicalnut777 - No heavier dose of potash. Just normal ferts and lots of bright, indirect Sun. Maybe a TINY bit of very early Sun at the most.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Hmmmm...........I have quite a few small ones.............really small...........like,,,,,,,,put tip of index finger to tip of thumb..........that big......or small, as the case may be. LOL

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

I'd just like to know how old those humongous bulbs were, and how old. Gads, I don't think I'll live long enough to get one THAT big. :>)

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

lol anna.. i figure.start now.. i plan to be around for ever.. no im not a vamp..LOL
thanks tommy... i plan to go to surplus store soon..they usually have 2nds plastic pots..and i
load up.. i never seem to have enough..:)
last yr i put my potted up amaryllis under my bananas..they got just enough sun..but not hot direct..
i think i'll do same with my amorphs.. in pots though.. i want to see how big i can get them..
maybe next yr..besides getting myself a really big konjac..i'll see how flush i am..and if i want to
spring for a titianum.. now they are $$$$..but.. if i start now with a "smaller corm" after yrs..it will
grow..if i dont kill it..

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

im excited..the futherest along konjac seems to be close to blooming..???
heres a pic.. ive got to take one thats not so dark..
the flower stalk is 27in tall above the corm..
is that ok?? its bulging last 8 in..guessing that will be the flower..??
looking foward to this summer planting out..and hopefully get the corms
much bigger than this yr !!!

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777
Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

a bit less dark pic....

Looking good tropicalnut777! She will bloom soon! She will stink for about 2 days. It's not that bad. At least to ME anyway!
The color is a deep maroon, it's GORGEOUS! It should look like this:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

thanks tommy.. i'll take pics of flower.. from reading..seems better way to
grow when i do plant corms...is in their own pots..not in the ground..
is that your method as well??

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Better check mine, they're kinda shoved off in a corner up in the g'house. Am thinking that none will bloom tho, as they're quite small yet.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

funny how we get hooked once we try a new plant..:)
next fall i hope to get some really big corms ..if same ebay seller puts them up
again..and i hope so..
maybe even one day..i'll venture and try my hand at titanum..the bigggie..
theres a grower back east..i think NH ..that grows them..and sells.. they are pricey
though.. $100s for a near blooming size corm..
maybe that can be my xmas present to myself..LOL :)

tropicalnut777,Mine are each in their own pot. I plant mine indoors prior to putting outside after last frost. Or try to wait until after last frost to plant in a pot. They can be grown in the ground but I grow them in pots for better control over soil,etc.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

tommyr..thats what ive been reading..better control of soil,amount of sun,and
competition of amorphs roots with other plants..
so im thinkin for me ..i should pot up too..in good sized pots..
?? has anyone had otherwise experience of corms getting bigger from planting
right in soil??
btw..my konjac is getting close to open..YEA !!!! prob couple days away ..
im looking foward to seeing the flower..

I pot mine in pots 2 times bigger than the corm is across. 4 inch in a 8-10" pot for instance.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

much thanks tommyr !!! i know when the roots start forming.they are from the top and need
good room to nourish the plant again..
just measured one getting ready to bloom.. the flower spike looked a bit taller..but...???
so measured it..its now 35 in..above the corm.. wow.. thats 8 more inches in a week..
very cool :)

You can almost SEE them grow! Fun plants for sure! HAVE FUN!

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Not seeing much in mine, that's for sure. No activity at all, but then again, they are small. Largest one maybe ping-pong ball size. I will need to plant in nice, rich soil and fertilize. Hopefully I can find some nice, rotted cow poop.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

new pics of this tall flower spike..im guessing it will open up in next couple days..
measures 43 in now above the corm.. yea.. i guess.. all this flower is of course taking
energy from the corm.. hope it doesnt exhaust the corm... !!!
pics...

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

and another.. mmm..lame..i didnt rotate the pic.. sigh..sorry

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

wanted to take some pics and post..but im concerned now that i might snap off the flower spikes..
the 3 that have the most pronounced flower spikes are 61 in, 52in, and 38 in above the corms..
?? is this typical for flower spike length? the biggest flower is 25 in in length..the next hasnt got there yet..
but is bulging where the flower will open..
when i pot these up how tall can the vegetative growth get??
im truely hooked on amorphs.. lol
when friends come by..they ask.. "what the (*%$&&( is that" lol
the smell is there..but its not as strong as i was expecting.. to me its more of a
sour smell..
i did have to set the tallest plant in a box ..fill it with shipping peanuts and support the
flower spike with ceramic bowls .. to prevent it falling over..
ive already checked out where i can get my hands on a titanum.. i think it will be my
xmas pressie to myself.. near flowering corms sure arent cheap..
??? nursery back east.. tindara.. anyone else bought from them???
they seem to be the serious growers..
much thanks

Flower size depends on the corm size. If it's a Konjac it'll get about 5 feet tall vegetation wise.

Provo, UT(Zone 5a)

thanks tommyr .. i was a botany major ..million yrs ago..and remember
seeing i think a konjac in a professors greenhouse.. i thought..one day i have
to try my hand at that.. :)
what amorphs do u grow tommyr..??
have you tried titanum? thinking of buying a larger corm..
guess they are similar growing to konjac..
dormancy,leaving corm dry ..let flower.. rest..then pot up for
vegetative growth..then repeat..???
thanks again tommyr....

I have no room for a titanum, They get HUGE. I wish I did! I grow just Konjacs currently as far as Aroids go. Love em.

Monroe, WI(Zone 4b)

Went to Tindara's website......OMG.......$400.00 for a 20 pound bulb.

noonamah, Australia

I have 4 titanums, one large, 1.75 metres tall, and 3 young ones, about 30 centimetres tall. They are a bit different to the others, apart from being a little more tender. I've got 8 other species. One grows through winter and is dormant in summer. The titanum (large one) grows for a year and then goes dormant for a year. The small titanums have been going 15 months non stop and still don't look like going dormant. All the others have the usual summer growth , winter dormancy.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.