Photo by Melody

Aroids: anyone elses amorph konjoc comming alive ?

Communities > Forums > Aroids
bookmark
Forum: AroidsReplies: 52, Views: 226
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 11, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #8963816

thought id ask..im a complete newbie with amorphs.. i have 4 ..good sized A.konjac.. each
around 8#.. all have spike from 4" to the one that has come "alive" its almost 8" now.. its grown
3" in the last week.. im pleased..
so i thought id seek out u all that are way more knowledgeable on amorphs..especially konjac...
i had to put the one with the growth in taller cupboard.. it was getting close to hitting top of
next shelf..LOL
i understand A.konjac can take their own sweet time when they want to grow their leaf stem.. seeking
correct naming ...
thanks to all..
looking foward to flowering !!!!!!!! not the smell...LOL
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 11, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #8964008

Someone gave me 8 small konjac tubers not long back and they're all growing nicely. So I'm also on a bit of a learning curve for konjac. The tubers were all about marble size so they've got a lot of growing to do.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 12, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #8965172

So far none of mine are starting. Seems a bit early for them but it HAS been a mild winter so far. Keep them in a cooler spot if possible. Not cold but cooler. Maybe on the floor in a cooler room of your house. Mine are in a room where it's about 64-67 degrees F. Sitting on a stand unpotted.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 12, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #8965409

tommy .. ? so im taking from your message its a bit early for a flower spike to be starting?
thanks for the info..they are in room..darkish.. temps around.. 65F ish..
my gas/heat bill has been lower this yr .. weve had a really mild winter.. so far..
actually started some lettuce against the house (south facing) with glass window over them..
no sprouting yet.. but prob soon..if our weather stays this way..and begins to warm..
but.. the weather.. who know.. we take what we get..
thanks again tommy...
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 13, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #8966109

Yes it is a bit too early for flower spiking. Dark isn't as important as temperature it seems to me.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 14, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #8967085

I would like to know what it takes to get those bulbs to such a large size. I plant outside, in the ground in the summer, water, fertilze...I have better luck getting gigantic amaryllis bulbs. LOL
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 14, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #8967110

Try putting it in a big POT with very well draining soil. Plenty of water and food. A little early morning Sun is o.k. but bright indirect light the rest of the day.

My 11 1/2 inch corm SHRUNK to 8 inches the year after it bloomed. it Weighed 13 pounds.

Here's the 13 Lb. with a 4lb corm on 2009...

Thumbnail by tommyr2006
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 14, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #8967372

So, if I put it/them in a large pot, can they just stay in the pot all the time...no need to plant outside in the ground? And what kind of fertilizer? Miracle grow? Fish emulsion? I NEED to know. LOLOL
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 14, 2012
1:58 PM

Post #8967626

very cool corms tommy !!!! hope mine get huge over next several yrs !!!
of course writting that..i know im hooked now..and next fall..i'll be buying some big ones on ebay..
couple months ago.. seller i got my 2 biggest ones from..he had some HUGE ones up for auction..
newbie here..and i didnt want to spend to much $$$ for a corm that id kill..
but..im hooked now.. :)
i plan to put my konjac's out in gardens.. in rich/humus rich soil..
btw anna.. my amaryllis i put out..and actually paid attention to..lol.. got huge too !!!!
yea...
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

January 14, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #8967721

The advantage of growng them in pots is that they don't get competition from other plant roots. Established roots will start to draw out nutrients as soon as their growing season commences. A tuber, like Amorphophallus, will only be starting to grow its root system then, it'll be well behind all the others. I grew a 2.27 metre tall Amorphophallus paeoniifolius in a pot which if in the ground would have been battling to achieve the same.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 14, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #8967836

Tropicalnut...how many $$$$ are we talking from the seller on ebay?
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 14, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #8967953

Anna, I use miracle grow or even an orchid fertilizer is fine. They stay in the pot until the leaf stalk flops over in the fall. Then you dig them out, cut off the leaf stalk, clean off the soil and dry the corm. Then bring inside and set it on a shelf. That's it!
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 14, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #8967981

Oh, well, I seem to own stock in Miracle Grow...as much as I buy in a year's time. LOL Works just fine.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 15, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #8968604

i was wondering about roots on amorphs going in sort of late.. at least will be
for me.. i think im going to start(when flower is done and to be potted up) put
them in a big pot with rich/good soil..
anna.. there were some really BIG corms that were 15" across..weighing in around
30#..i believe.. everytime i logged on to check them out..i just drooled..LOL
:)
i got my 2 biggest ones from same seller..just werent his/her biggest ones..
i think they went for $100s... for konjac.. theres a serious grower in mass..i think
that sells titianms.. he/she.. gets serious $$$ for those..
but..i know now that im hooked..if i see a BIGGIE like that up this fall.. yep..
i'll get one..LOL :)
its a drug ya know these plants...:)
??? tommy.. do u give any heavier dose of potash later in summer for food storage
of your amorphs?? sort of like you would to tulips/dalfs..etc...???
i was thinking with all that output of energy for the flower.. of course..i guess the
corm gets energy back from photosyn in leaves with foliage during the summer..
just wondering..
great stuff.. still looking foward to my stinky plants...
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 15, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #8969037

Do you think it would be ok if I planted more than one in a large pot, or would it be better if each one had their own pot?
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 15, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #8969153

Each one in their own pot. About 2 times bigger than the corm is around.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 15, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #8969158

tropicalnut777 - No heavier dose of potash. Just normal ferts and lots of bright, indirect Sun. Maybe a TINY bit of very early Sun at the most.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 15, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #8969161

Hmmmm...I have quite a few small ones...really small...like,,,put tip of index finger to tip of thumb...that big...or small, as the case may be. LOL
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 15, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #8969163

I'd just like to know how old those humongous bulbs were, and how old. Gads, I don't think I'll live long enough to get one THAT big. :>)
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #8969823

lol anna.. i figure.start now.. i plan to be around for ever.. no im not a vamp..LOL
thanks tommy... i plan to go to surplus store soon..they usually have 2nds plastic pots..and i
load up.. i never seem to have enough..:)
last yr i put my potted up amaryllis under my bananas..they got just enough sun..but not hot direct..
i think i'll do same with my amorphs.. in pots though.. i want to see how big i can get them..
maybe next yr..besides getting myself a really big konjac..i'll see how flush i am..and if i want to
spring for a titianum.. now they are $$$$..but.. if i start now with a "smaller corm" after yrs..it will
grow..if i dont kill it..
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #8982967

im excited..the futherest along konjac seems to be close to blooming..???
heres a pic.. ive got to take one thats not so dark..
the flower stalk is 27in tall above the corm..
is that ok?? its bulging last 8 in..guessing that will be the flower..??
looking foward to this summer planting out..and hopefully get the corms
much bigger than this yr !!!

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2012
10:27 AM

Post #8982977

a bit less dark pic...

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 26, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #8983463

Looking good tropicalnut777! She will bloom soon! She will stink for about 2 days. It's not that bad. At least to ME anyway!
The color is a deep maroon, it's GORGEOUS! It should look like this:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #8983508

thanks tommy.. i'll take pics of flower.. from reading..seems better way to
grow when i do plant corms...is in their own pots..not in the ground..
is that your method as well??
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 26, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #8983580

Better check mine, they're kinda shoved off in a corner up in the g'house. Am thinking that none will bloom tho, as they're quite small yet.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #8983614

funny how we get hooked once we try a new plant..:)
next fall i hope to get some really big corms ..if same ebay seller puts them up
again..and i hope so..
maybe even one day..i'll venture and try my hand at titanum..the bigggie..
theres a grower back east..i think NH ..that grows them..and sells.. they are pricey
though.. $100s for a near blooming size corm..
maybe that can be my xmas present to myself..LOL :)
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 27, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #8984704

tropicalnut777,Mine are each in their own pot. I plant mine indoors prior to putting outside after last frost. Or try to wait until after last frost to plant in a pot. They can be grown in the ground but I grow them in pots for better control over soil,etc.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #8984804

tommyr..thats what ive been reading..better control of soil,amount of sun,and
competition of amorphs roots with other plants..
so im thinkin for me ..i should pot up too..in good sized pots..
?? has anyone had otherwise experience of corms getting bigger from planting
right in soil??
btw..my konjac is getting close to open..YEA !!!! prob couple days away ..
im looking foward to seeing the flower..
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 28, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #8985334

I pot mine in pots 2 times bigger than the corm is across. 4 inch in a 8-10" pot for instance.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #8985848

much thanks tommyr !!! i know when the roots start forming.they are from the top and need
good room to nourish the plant again..
just measured one getting ready to bloom.. the flower spike looked a bit taller..but...???
so measured it..its now 35 in..above the corm.. wow.. thats 8 more inches in a week..
very cool :)
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

January 28, 2012
5:39 PM

Post #8985963

You can almost SEE them grow! Fun plants for sure! HAVE FUN!
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

January 28, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #8985987

Not seeing much in mine, that's for sure. No activity at all, but then again, they are small. Largest one maybe ping-pong ball size. I will need to plant in nice, rich soil and fertilize. Hopefully I can find some nice, rotted cow poop.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #8988487

new pics of this tall flower spike..im guessing it will open up in next couple days..
measures 43 in now above the corm.. yea.. i guess.. all this flower is of course taking
energy from the corm.. hope it doesnt exhaust the corm... !!!
pics...

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #8988491

and another.. mmm..lame..i didnt rotate the pic.. sigh..sorry

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9000320

wanted to take some pics and post..but im concerned now that i might snap off the flower spikes..
the 3 that have the most pronounced flower spikes are 61 in, 52in, and 38 in above the corms..
?? is this typical for flower spike length? the biggest flower is 25 in in length..the next hasnt got there yet..
but is bulging where the flower will open..
when i pot these up how tall can the vegetative growth get??
im truely hooked on amorphs.. lol
when friends come by..they ask.. "what the (*%$&&( is that" lol
the smell is there..but its not as strong as i was expecting.. to me its more of a
sour smell..
i did have to set the tallest plant in a box ..fill it with shipping peanuts and support the
flower spike with ceramic bowls .. to prevent it falling over..
ive already checked out where i can get my hands on a titanum.. i think it will be my
xmas pressie to myself.. near flowering corms sure arent cheap..
??? nursery back east.. tindara.. anyone else bought from them???
they seem to be the serious growers..
much thanks
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 9, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9000364

Flower size depends on the corm size. If it's a Konjac it'll get about 5 feet tall vegetation wise.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9000439

thanks tommyr .. i was a botany major ..million yrs ago..and remember
seeing i think a konjac in a professors greenhouse.. i thought..one day i have
to try my hand at that.. :)
what amorphs do u grow tommyr..??
have you tried titanum? thinking of buying a larger corm..
guess they are similar growing to konjac..
dormancy,leaving corm dry ..let flower.. rest..then pot up for
vegetative growth..then repeat..???
thanks again tommyr...
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 9, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9000696

I have no room for a titanum, They get HUGE. I wish I did! I grow just Konjacs currently as far as Aroids go. Love em.
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 9, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9000879

Went to Tindara's website...OMG...$400.00 for a 20 pound bulb.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 9, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9000895

I have 4 titanums, one large, 1.75 metres tall, and 3 young ones, about 30 centimetres tall. They are a bit different to the others, apart from being a little more tender. I've got 8 other species. One grows through winter and is dormant in summer. The titanum (large one) grows for a year and then goes dormant for a year. The small titanums have been going 15 months non stop and still don't look like going dormant. All the others have the usual summer growth , winter dormancy.
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 9, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9000909

tropicalnut777 wrote:
have you tried titanum? thinking of buying a larger corm..
guess they are similar growing to konjac..
dormancy,leaving corm dry ..let flower.. rest..then pot up for
vegetative growth..then repeat..???

Never let a titanum dry out, it's a one way street if you do. They need to stay moist even during dormancy. But you also have to keep checking for fungus, they're fairly susceptible.
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9001107

thanks tropicbreeze.. so do you keep your titanum potted all yr round?
have yours bloomed yet? thinking of my konjac ..and all the energy that the corm puts
into producing the flower.. no wonder the corm reduces in size...
?? tropic..what potting mix do u find works well for your konjac and titanums???
reading on aroids.org postings there say..good compost, with good drainage..
i was thinking of using soil i use on my bananas..
mix of my compost,coir,worm castings,and pearlite...
i use plastic pots..and i cut holes on sides to help with better drainage..
i get some soil out sides..but not that much ..
?? on fungus.. do u use any fungicides on your corms..or just watch your watering real
carefully??
thanks tons.. more info i have hopefully when i do get titanum corm..i dont kill it..
tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 10, 2012
2:10 AM

Post #9001344

Tropical, when I was doing my research on titanum the two big things that stuck in my mind were that it's very susceptible to nematodes, and also susceptible to fungus. Then I found out that we do have a lot of nematodes here, and fungus, of course, is everywhere. So I followed the recommendation and got a good mix of organic soil, ran fungicide through it, and then washed it through with clean water. All this before getting the tuber. The pot I sat out under a big ficus because they don't drop branches. When the titanum was in and growing I watched it like a hawk.

It started early spring, just before our build-up season. In the build-up it began to wilt a bit despite only getting filtered sun through the trees. So I put a bit of a canopy over it to give complete shade and it looked better. The wet season came and I reduced watering. It grew right through. Come autumn (wet season over) it kept going. And then right through winter as well. No one told me they'd just keep going. Then early spring I came home from work and there was the shrivelled stem of the titanum laying against the tree. Left it a few weeks for the tuber to withdraw all nutrients then dug it out. The tuber looked good. I got another lot of organic soil but this time I put limestone gravel in the bottom of the pot. One text had that they grow in the leaf litter on limestone rock in Sumatra. I repotted and waited.

Every month or so I checked the tuber but no sign of growth. Right through the summer (wet season) it just stayed dormant. Come winter it stayed dormant. Finally early spring it started off again. One year later, almost to the day. The young plants I started off from seed and they're about 15 months old now. They say about 7 or 8 years to flowering. There's a lot of caring to be done with those. But if you're getting titanum, be sure to do all the research you can. Mine are outdoors all the time so they have their own set of particular requirements and problems. You'll have to be keeping yours indoors and that will have its own set of problems. It's a challenge but I think it's worth it. Anyway, that's what's keeping me going, I want to flower mine.

I did an article on Amorphs on another site some time ago. You might find it interesting:
http://cubits.org/Jungle/articles/view/791/
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9002146

thanks again tropic !!!
yea.. its the challenge..and amorphs are really interesting.. :)
preaching to the choir on that.. :)
i'll read your article..thanks
ya.. ive been doing searches alot on titanum.. i probably read same/similar text that they growin leaf litter
with alkaline base (limestone)..
my own made compost is 1/2 shredded composted leaves.. my bananas have really responded well to it..
its in the working out a situation that works and we are rewarded with fantastic plants thats the fun
isnt it.. we have many failures..hopefully not to many.. and we learn from them...
thanks for all your insights.. !!!!
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9003152

current pics of full blooming konjac

Thumbnail by tropicalnut777   Thumbnail by tropicalnut777
Click an image for an enlarged view.

tropicbreeze
noonamah
Australia

February 11, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9003194

I like the perspective there. Sure it's not crossed with a titanum? LOL
tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 11, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9003458

lol.. i wish.. :) i know theres alot i need to learn about amorphs culture..
esp keeping a titanum.. much thanks to u all for your insights..
i find the scent is more like a sour stale smell..
not really "bad".. not something i would think you would
find in a scented candle either.. LOL
Anna_Z
Monroe, WI
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9003552

Thought mine smelled like dead mice.
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 12, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9003739

Nice flower tropicalnut777! Love the color of those, a deep maroon! The stink I don't find too bad but it's not great either! LOL!
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 20, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9013290

Here's my biggest coming alive, Konjac:

tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 20, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9013293

Let's try this again:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

tropicalnut777
Provo, UT
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9014650

really nice tommy!!! so im guessing its around 8" across??
from your $1 comparison pic...
i wonder why mine spiked so early..??? thoughts???
my last of the biggest corms is flowering now..
by others experiences seems mine are early..???
i kept them around 60F in dark..but i understand that really doesnt
have any affect on the corm..???
my earliest corm's flower is now wilting.. so i guess i need to let the
flower stalk wilt..and hopefully sluff off..then pot it up ...???
keep on dry side..till ready to go out for vegetative growrth for restoring
the food in the corm...???
good luck to ya tommy !!!
again..good pic !!!! :)
tommyr2006
Poughkeepsie, NY

February 21, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #9014952

tropicalnut777,
My guess is it's sprouting early because it is a little warm in the room it's in?

Yes, when the flower stalk wilts just lop it off a few inches up from the bottom and you can pot up if you like. The rest of the stalk can be eventually pulled off and under that is the new leaf. Yes, keep dry until you see the new leaf stalk then water well.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Aroids Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
How to ID elephant ears!!! bwilliams 37 Jul 5, 2012 11:15 AM
Colocasia Thai Giant- pics please AuntB 54 Aug 23, 2008 3:03 PM
Aroids to trade: skilledwithands 23 Jun 13, 2008 12:41 AM
The most over looked aroid in the araceae family. bwilliams 17 Apr 29, 2010 8:18 PM
Which of these is A. podophyllum and what's the other? Carter 7 Oct 1, 2007 3:24 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America