How to get paint off of a bathtub?

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I bought a bathtub on Craigs List and it is an acrylic (fiberglass?) bath tub, not a metal one. It has dark brown paint splattered on it, and I cannot get it off.
Wonderd about using Goof Off or Oops. I don't want to hurt the finish. Any suggestions on what I can do to get it off? I thought about a razor blade but I don't want to scratch it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You might try a plastic scraper if it looks like something you could scrape off. A non-scratching abrasive like Bar Keepers Friend might work too. I don't think you'd have a problem with Goof Off/etc either but if you're worried, try it on just one small splatter first to see if it works and then check the surface afterwards. You could also try the Magic Eraser, although it can dull shiny surfaces sometimes so I'd test it on a small area first. I don't think it'll damage fiberglass but it's worth testing in a small area just in case.

Richmond, MI(Zone 5a)

try to use rubbing alacol not spelled right it takes paint off on rugs, wood floors, and tile, and cloth, soak a wash cloth and let set 20 min. little elebow work but it will clean up i keep a bottle in my paint bucket,

well I have decided it might be either enamel or oil paint, maybe even some kind of grout? It is hard as a rock and it is not coming off with scraping. If it were latex it would almost just peel off I would think.

Northeast, AR(Zone 7a)

You might try paint thinner or lacquer thinner. I use acetone frequently to remove paint, black scuff marks, sticker glue, etc. It works well on latex paint, but I can't remember how it does on oil or enamel. But lacquer thinner (you can get it at Lowes or any paint store) will work on oil and enamel.

Test these on a small section of the tub first to be sure it doesn't eat the fiberglass. Acetone dissolves some plastics, so if you see it "melting" an area or making it sticky, don't use it.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Have you tried google for this? When looking for the solution to such a very specific and relatively unusual cleaning or stain removal question, I've had very impressive results by googling something along the lines of "clean ___ off of ___" or "how to get ___ off of ___" (fill in the blanks as per your situation.) No matter how unusual the request, this virtually always brings up one or more sites with excellent instructions for safe removal of the stain, paint, or marking. Answers obtained this way include information from experts and from others who have had success with a stain of the type specified.

Two such cleaning requests I was able to quickly resolve in this manner were (1) how to get permanent marker off of a white board, something I previously thought impossible but which turns out to be quite simple and (2) how to remove 'smart mass thinking putty' from fabric. That last one seemed so unique that I was 'certain' no one else had ever encountered it, and I would have no success using google for the answer. I gave it a try anyhow. A friend had pounded the putty into the fabric as a joke, and I was hoping to find the correct way to remove the putty w/o having to try things at random and risk permanent damage. Incredibly, using the specified google search I quickly found that 'smart mass thinking putty' is basically the same as old fashioned silly putty with special dyes/colors added. I also found a list of commonly available products that would dissolve and remove the putty (like WD40 and Goo Gone). Both the white board and the fabric came out perfectly clean and undamaged.

This method having worked so well, I now use it to find the best way to do even ordinary cleaning tasks. If you still need to get that paint off the tub, give it a try (if you haven't already). If there is a way to remove the paint, I think you will be able to find it quickly this way, often with additional information on what to definitely not use as well.

I went to Lowes and bought a spray bottle with a cleaner called Lift Off 5 Latex Based Paint Remover. I think it was 6 or 7 $ for a 22 oz bottle. It took a lot of elbow grease as well, but it did take the paint off and did not damage the finish on the tub. I was really excited to see it working! Also I did not wear loves and it did not irritate my skin at all. I did throw away the rags I used, didn't try to wash them out or anything. thank you to everyone who made suggestions, and yes, I had not thought of trying a google search like that, will try that next time if I can remember!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

SO glad you were able to find a solution to remove the paint w/o damaging the finish. That's the important part.

As for the google search option, google has gotten very sophisticated these days. Where you used to have to put in a single word or two, now you can give them entire sentences, pretty much the same as you would ask a friend. I was surprised, too, the 1st time I did this for stain removal advice, but the results were so spot on, I'm sold now. (For instance, I had no idea you could use basic hand sanitizer, which I keep in my purse, to clean old, dried on, marker from a white board. Found a hideous white board in a box at work. Got that tip from google, and wiped the old whiteboard clean as new in minutes.)

This has worked so well for me, that recently when I became frustrated with difficulty getting grease off of plastic food containers (when hand washing), I googled for help. I got lots of great recommendations. Now my plastic containers are all squeaky clean.

To demonstrate, I did a cursory search for "get paint off fiberglass bathtub". I should have done this the other day when I posted but was in a hurry then. I didn't reread your problem, so hope I got it right, but then this is just a demo. You could make the search even more specific by specifying type of paint (i.e. "get laytex paint off ...") The 1st few items my search returned were:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4616273_remove-paint-fiberglass-bath-tub.html
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/how-to-remove-oil-based-paint-from-a-fiberglass-tub/
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100916121919AAYlUE6

Then I changed to "remove paint from acrylic bathtub" and got:

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Paint-from-an-Acrylic-Tub-or-Bath
http://www.ehow.com/how_5563411_remove-paint-acrylic-tub.html

These are just a few of many such links. Note: for a fiberglass tub, Oops, the product you mentioned in your initial post was recommended. Again, very glad you were able to get the paint off your tub. Hope you will now be able to enjoy your purchase for many years to come. For your next stain or annoying cleaning problem, give the google thing a try. I'll bet you will be pleasantly surprised. This is not to deny all the great talent available here at DG, of course, just an idea for broadening your audience. :-)

Dahlonega, GA

I love Google , made it my home page a year ago .

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

It's my homepage, too. I probably ask google a handful of questions daily. Don't know how we survived before the internet.

Dahlonega, GA

We had dictionaries , Britannica , cook books . Don't need to mess with all that now .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images