-
AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 12, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #8965015

Moved us again. It doesnt take long for the thread to grow with everyone popping in with their news and pics.
Quite overcast here this morning but a bit warmer than it has been.
A very small shower of rain last night, but none since.

I will be out doing more potting today as I still have a parcel of Nerines to pot up.
I have my hippie seeds all floating in containers on the dining table. Hubby used to look at me strangely but now he has seen how they grow roots in the water.
Once they get their little green shoots, they will join the others outside.
I have lots of baby ones now so am hoping for a lovely show in a few years.

Hope you are all enjoying good weather .
Nearly to the middle of the month already. We have hardly had summer and the trees are losing leaves.
I have to get out around the place this morning and see where the koala is hiding. Hubby heard it during the night .
They often come here and stay a day or so then are gone again.
They have to walk over quite a distance across paddocks to get here from the nearest stand of trees along the creek about a mile away a sthe crow flies.
Better get moving and put up the sign so everyone can find us.
Enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 12, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #8965057

I do it every time, forget to put up the signpost.
We came from here...
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1235398/

Jean.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 12, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #8965065

Forgot to add a friend for Friday 13th..
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 12, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #8965097

Yes, Jean. that is Just Joey...nice cat...I forgot that it was the 13th.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 12, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #8965131

Good morning everyone. I'm here Dianne for my morning cuppa albeit a bit late. I have an appointment at 10am so won't hang around too long. Just enjoying my last day of solitude. I think they are getting very homesick. I could hear that Branden was getting quite teary on the phone last night. Did you find the koala Jean? I would love it if I had visitors like that. I don't think they would come here with Ben guarding the place. He's a funny little man. He has a different bark for every situation, but I know the difference when he"s serious. He has a "G'Day" bark for people he knows and a growling bark for strangers especially blokes with hats or caps. If the chooks are fighting or he can hear the cat next door, they are different. He just about talks and I'm sure he would if he could. Well must go I'll be back later. Colleen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #8965279

Seems everyone's garden is struggling with the weather. A friend in North Central US (Illinois) has usually had a bit of snow by Christmas. Her first snowfall was Thursday...and she has Daylilies sprouting up. Fortunately the snow will insulate them. Tonight the temp here is supposed to sink to -1C...it was 29C yesterday. Afraid it will nip the iris buds that decided to pop up 3 months early.

Hubby is excited to arrive in Brisbane early morning on the 17th. Looks like the cooler weather is preceding him. I am not sure how he will handle life without a/c...may prove interesting...and DD may find herself the recipient of a window unit or two...grin.

This is Max, my contribution to the 13th.
Moon

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 12, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #8965282

My, he is a spooky cat...he didn't make the trip.

This is Max

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 12, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #8965341

I haven't a black cat so here is my contribution to Friday the 13th

http://people.howstuffworks.com/friday-thirteenth.htm

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 12, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #8965557

First Cicadas today ...maybe Summer has arrived. Haven't seen a Christmas beetle in years. Haven't heard a cricket yet. thousands of hungry grasshoppers, small green ones ...the big ones have moved on finally. Lots of Mozzies ... few flies which is surprising. I probably will jinx myself saying that.
The Spiders are acting like it's Autumn, madly spinning webs all over.

http://ednieuw.home.xs4all.nl/Spiders/Araneidae/Araneidae.htm

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #8966260

Love the eyes on the black cat. I made these for a lady in Mo. last night.
The white tiger has wire whiskers. Unicorn , glow in dark mane and then she wanted a Charley and a seadragon...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #8966266

Those are neat Charleen. you certainly do have a bit o'talent tucked in there Lady.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 13, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #8966352

Hello all. Charleen, you've bee busy I see. Sounds like you have a fan or two of your li'l critters over there. A productive hobby for you.

Hi Moon, hope all is well with you. Seems like the weather is weird everywhere. Here it is a glorious cool morning, almost like early Spring again. My energy bounces back when its cool.

I used to have a black cat that really spooked people. He was actually rescued as a kitten, his mother a wild cat living in an industrial area near the docks. I swear he used to astral travel with me at night.

Got some potting done early yesterday, and will attempt to tackle a large plant that needs repotting today. Running out of some pots in certain sizes. Soil too. Another trip to Bunnings soon, I guess.

Hope everyone has a great weekend. Seems quiet here with a few away on holidays still. Guess it will all get back to normal all too soon.

Karen

This is a self sown seedling that attached itself to a hanging basket. It is quite some distance from the parent plant too.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #8966368

My Maxie cat had a beautiful red ruff and I am sure he can teleport...especially at dinner time...grin Bob Cat carries on long conversations with himself...truly, he will sit and stare off into space and meow and trill...and Mea princess MIMI chat can almost tell you what she wants.

Glad you are having things a bit cooler Karen, always makes one feel more energetic. It was 0C this morning and I noticed one of the hyacinths has bloomed.

Is that a staghorn fern that traveled? Lovely plant.

Good thoughts to you all,

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 13, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #8966380

Good morning everyone. Still overcast here but not cold. A few spots of rain yesterday but I was outside with my jumper off.
I potted up a lot of seedlings, buddleas, Lilly Pillys, abutilons and some of the brugs.
I have a container on the dining table with floating hippie seeds and pots of bulbs around the place.
Some of these plants are for the garden when the autumn arrives and some are for the market.

We didnt find the koala yesterday , so he must have moved on . There were some large black cockatoos in the pine tree. They do love to get at the pine cones. We only ever see them once a year as they travel through to elsewhere.

Charleen, that sea dragon is really lovely. We get sea horses or dragons along the coast down from here at Portland.
Very pretty brownish ones like floating seaweed.

Chrissy, I grew up to the sound of cicadas , but we dont see them around here . They used to be at Bright , when I lived there and so loud , you couldnt hear yourself think.
I love them.

Hello Moon. There was some snow on the mountains the other day so maybe your friends snow was misdirected to Australia.
Max looks very comfortable there.

Colleen, the boys will be so full of news when they get home.

Hello Dianne, Anthony, Karen and Teresa. I hope you all have greea weekend

Time I went to finish my cuppa then get out and do my garden rounds.
Enjoy the weekend. Here we are in the middle of the first month of 2012 already.

try this Chocolate Angel Food Cake with your morning cuppa.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
3:19 PM

Post #8966518

Max does love his basket...and my chair

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 13, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #8966600

Moon, your Max is exceptionally beautiful with that red ruff. Cats can be quite mystifying creatures, but it seems not all of them, just those special ones. My black cat had a grey brother who had no psychic abilities but loved to smooch and purr like a normal cat.

Yes, thats a stag that flew in, or maybe a bird brought it in as a seed (or spore). As it started to grow, I had no idea what it was, but its obvious now. I'll have to get it off that hanging basket though as it will get too heavy for it.

Jean, I made a cuppa, then got distracted by a quiche I was cooking, and it went cold. Will have to make another.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 13, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #8966648

But Karen, it is happy there. See how it has grown?? It is quite beautiful. Lucky you.
Yes, I do have folks who love my clay creations and they are pretty. I surprize myself sometimes.
The dea dragon is an interesting creature, also the seahorse which I love.
Moon, that cat is gorgeous. Love it!!
Charley sends you all warm nuzzles of affection... I send you hugs...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #8966779

Thanks. Max started life as a feral kitten 16 years ago this coming Spring. My Hubby spent days coaxing him with bits of food...now, he is very shy but incredibly loving.

My MIL had a pair of staghorns for years. They were mounted on large slabs of driftwood. Every spring and fall we would drive down to her house to tote them in and out of the greenhouse. One day we went down to visit and the ferns were gone. A woman saw them from the street and stopped in and offered my FIL $400 for the pair...My FIL got the cart and hauled them to the woman's car...he said they always took up too much room...So my MIL went out and bought 20 African violets and two plant stands to hold them...
they took up a lot more room than the staghorns...grin

Pats and hugs right back to Charley and you Charleen.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 13, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #8966817

Love that story, Charleen. Dont mess with the missus and her plants...lol
My hubby wouldnt dare. He would ask me and then I'd wheel them out and keep the money for more plants..

I had a very large stag down the back. It had been in the fern house but was way too big and besides huntsmen spiders like living in it. He kept saying noone could see it way down there. I was guilty of bad neglect and it died.
There was a smaller elkhorn on the fern house wall and when I pulled the old fern house down, I left it where it was . It kept getting burnt on the sun so dear hubby put a hook in the new shadehouse wall and moved it. He keeps saying how good it looks.
Looks pretty shabby to me. It may die one day too.
Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 14, 2012
1:00 AM

Post #8966936

Actually Jean, is mine an elkhorn, or is it still too young to tell? I must get a pic of the one down the back. I've always just called it a stag horn, but I'm not sure really. I did have a huge, no, massive staghorn out the front, but it was growing on a prickly paper bark tree (I hate that tree), and it just got too heavy and came crashing down. I gave it to a man who was driving by at the time as it was way too massive for me to even try to deal with. This one is happy where it is but it will get too heavy for the hanging basket. It has nothing else to attach to as it gets larger. If I put it in a tree now, while it is young, it should settle quickly and continue to grow happily.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 14, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #8967129

Don't feel bad, Jean I have killed a couple of those ferns too.
I really like them too, I've seen several large ones in nurseries.. They are gorgeous.
Cold here. Got ice on the bird baths...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #8967243

Jean, not only did my FIL discover that the racks and African violets took up more space, my MIL eventually wound up with over 100 of them. Fortunately for my FIL, age made my MIL decide to pare down to just a half dozen or so of her favorites.

Karen,I think the basic difference is that Staghorns have both antler and entire, cupped leaves and Elkhorns have only antler leaves.

here is a link for Elkhorn
http://www.saveourwaterwaysnow.com.au/01_cms/details_pop.asp?ID=299

and a young Staghorn fern

http://home.howstuffworks.com/staghorn-fern.htm

and this link is to images of all the Platycerium genus

[HYPERLINK@]
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 14, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #8967500

Thank you for the links, moon. Mine is definitely an elkhorn then. It is a neglected plant, growing down the back, quietly doing its own thing among the trees. I can't remember when I put it there, but it was a very long time ago, probably 20 years or so.

Karen

This message was edited Jan 14, 2012 1:57 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #8967544

It appears to be quite the happy fellow, Karen. I saw some at Fletcher Bot Gardens in Cairns that were HUGE. They were attached to trees and must have been 20 feet up and almost touched the ground. Amazing plants.

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 14, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #8967574

Good morning everyone. Still overcast here. No rain and the days have been warming after lunch.
Nothing much doing around the garden as yet until autumn. The nerines will be poking their heads up then and a few other bulbs that I have scattered around.
There is one large bulb out there that I keep looking at and wondering what it is. I cannot remember planting it where it is.

Hello Moon, I think those two links show different versions of the elkhorn. It took me ages to get the two right as so many pictures are labelled wrongly.
My large stag was platycerium superbum ..which has the round basal fronds open and spread at the top like a fan. They slowly grow over time to be enormous and will eventually put out from the base of the giant fan, long fertile leaves which can be over 4'long.
The elkhorn ..platycerium bifircatum..has the round basal leaves hugging the support it grows on with many long leaves coming out from the base. There are some with long narrow leaves and some with wider ones. .
I do like the stags more than the elks as they look tidier but they can all take up so much room.

I really should get another stag to grow in the shadehouse near the back door where it can sit in peace and be admired.

Karen, I saw some like yours in the plant place and they had just been left to grow in ordinary pots. Poor things were squished.

Charleen , you must be finally getting into winter with ice in the birdbath.
Ice broke a terra cotta bird bath I had once when I lived in the mountain area where bad frosts were common.

Hello Teresa, Chrissy, Dianne, Colleen and Anthony. hope you are all enjoying the weekend .

The sun is trying to squeeze out from behind the clouds here so I am off outside to see what grew overnight.

Have a lovely day.
Try some Pink Lamingtons.
Happy gardening
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 14, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #8967592

Good Morning Jean. Yes, unfortunately that is a common problem with the internet...lots of mis-identified plants and misinformation. I was trying for P superbum and P bifurcatum...think I hit the wrong link. thanks for catching that.

Have a good day...perhaps this is the year for resting gardens.

Moon
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

January 14, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #8967670

Good morning all. The desktop computer finally died. Hubby thinks it's beyond help.it doesn't seem that long that we got it..oh well. It was at least 5 years. Everyone else here uses laptops and I bought one a year ago so am using that. Got to get used to the feel of it. Funny thing is, this laptop has three times the RAM of the desktop!

I have had night blooming epies but keep missing them. I don't know which species they are. Most are strictum but it's those that are not that I want to see the blooms!

We had rain last night. It's been very pleasant and normal here but the noise and thumping is starting next door and I guess the mower/ whippersnipper/ hedge trimmer/ leaf blower racket will start again. Before he went away, the buzzing and zapping would go for two or three hours a day. It's only been just over a week..Always reminds me of that episode of "Malcolm in the Middle" when Malcolm's family head off for their annual vacation and return because they forgot the dog and find the whole street has swung into annual Malcolm's-family-is-away carnival mode. This was always a jungly, quirky little pocket of artists, writers and eccentrics who loved the street and didn't care that parking was hideous, access was almost impossible and trees and wildlife ruled. Everyone co-operated and seemed to be altruistic..so next door and over-the-road don't fit in at all..they should both be in one of the newer suburbs but river land is scarce so they are here concreting and controlling and flattening land... first thing both did was cut down all their trees and then start on the neighbours..and try to get any street trees removed. The builder who bought the big old place down two probably has the same mentality.So many of the tree huggers have been pushed out. I guess we should have sold when these types were canvassing looking for homes.

There was a big frilly lizard in the back yesterday..it was eating out of the dish with the chooks. They were wary but the turkeys kept away so maybe I could employ him as a scare-turkey! Hubby took photos but I still haven't worked out the photo-shrinking thing.

Happy gardening
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 14, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #8967719

Good morning everyone. Just a quick cuppa with you before I get back out in the SH. Will put some pics up when it's done. Hope everyone is well and I'll be back when I get a spare minute. The boyus enjoyed their holiday and haven't stopped talking since they got home. John is leaving around lunch time. Be back later. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 14, 2012

Post #8967733

Good morning everyone ...wet, but still here (just !)
heavy downpour again here last night and looking very leaden out there again this morning.

The puter can be a blessing or a pain ...:-)
I am just waving as I pass by ...the rain is coming back so I must get on with it before the rain arrives, so I hope everyone is enjoying the day so far and will have a great Sunday ...
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 14, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #8967752

two lovely sunny days for me to spend in the garden :)
I like this weekend thing everyone has been telling me about for years...
I'll be having every second Saturday off from now on & I'm loving it already.
It is my watering day so I gave the gardens a good soak, especially where I tidied up yesterday & planted a few new things - a cutting of rosemary & a buddlia that Mum gave me.
I was going to keep the buddlia in a pot but I think it should be safe enough where I put it.
As Mum said they are easy enough to prune if it looks like getting too big.
I also mowed the back lawn, trimmed the edges & then tidied up around the astelia planted along the back wall.
Lots of dead leaves to pull away & a few chunks came out that were obviously rotten, I managed to break off a couple of bits with roots to plant elsewhere.
The clean up should assist with air circulation & hopefully prevent any more rotting.
Then I tackled the shady garden along the drive.
Moved my azaleas as a couple were being overwhelmed by other plants & I think it was just too wet for them.
Hope they like the new spot I found for them - I have a rhodie doing very well there & another azalea that I bought at the same time as the others but it is double the size now.
It all looks much better now the weeds are gone.
I still have a lot I'd like to do but am too tired now, I'd like to dig over the area where the elderberry tree was & need to shift a camellia that was a lovely wee thing in the pot - and is now getting huge right beside the path.
It does make a good back drop for the day lily.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 14, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #8967804

Everyone is working madly in their gardens. Must be "spring "fever..lol
The sun has finally made it out from the clouds, but the wind is quite cool.

Teresa, I bet Copper loves having you home for the extra day too.
Dont work to hard in the garden. Yours is looking very nice there.

Colleen, you will be playing with the broms for ages now, getting them just right.

Kat, sounds like everything is as usual at your place. Fenceman being his normal idiot self.

Can I ask if anyone has any baby staghorns that they can spare ?
I know they do propagate themselves around sometimes.
Hubby says we need one in the shadehouse at the back door.
I have not seen any for sale except the large ones.
I want to start off with a little one as I did before.
I am quite willing to pay or trade for one and will pay postage.
It must be the stag though.. platycerium superbum..

Better go and see what I can feed the man.
Jean.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 15, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #8968735

Good morning everyone. A quick run in and out this morning as hubby has to go out so needs to leave early .
Very quiet here so I know you a re all busy in the gardens. Hope you all had a lovely weekend.
I may get something done later if we are back early.

Enjoy this Pineapple Upside Down Cake.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 15, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #8968845

Good morning everyone. Rain! Finally! Enough to get under the trees wet too. We need more though, for a jolly good soaking.

Jean, looks like mine is an elkhorn, for sure. Pity, as I found another little seedling in a very small hanging pot yesterday, growing away happily. Another one to find a home for. It is very small as yet. They must grow readily, which surprises me as there is not much moisture around here unless I hose.

Got myself a nice bit pot yesterday, but will have to wait until I get enough gravel and soil to fill it. Have been wanting one for ages but finally found one at the right price. I'm going to put a colourful blanchetiana in it.

Moon, I hope my elkhorn doesn't get any longer. The fronds are almost touching the ground now. The tree was young when I put the plant on it, but grew from the top up, so the elkhorn is only about 5 feet off the ground.

Hope everyone has a pleasant day.
Karen

The tiny elkhorn seedling I found yesterday...I presume its an elkhorn, as until recently I also had a large staghorn out the front.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 15, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #8969059

wish you could take some of this rain Karen ...I'm getting very tired of slipping and sinking in the gloop out there.

Constant wet/damp, humidity without much heat ...strange days. I get out when I can, but I am a bit nervous of falling, either long wet grass or mud isn't the safest of places on sloping grounds. You just get started when the sprinkling starts again.
I can't believe the frustration I feel in Summer this year, it's like Winter frustration, only Winter is ahead not behind.

Better go because I hate being a wet (excuse the pun) blanket.
I hope everyone enjoys their day where ever they are and whatever the weather,
I am going back to bed because this cold thingy my hubby shared is causing me to feel unwell (it's on my chest).
Normally I am never sick, so it is quite a shock to the system.
Back, when I feel a bit happier as I don't like sharing the gloom.
Take care and have a lovely day.
(view from my bedroom window- Rangoon creeper, 30/40ft high.)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #8969071

Looks like you'll have to play the waiting game on the seedling Karen. Hubby tried to pack up as much cool air as possible to bring with him. If it is cool Tuesday morning then he succeeded...grin
I think the elkhorn at Fletcher was possibly more than one plant. It was impressive though.

Good day to you all.
Moon

I do believe this is a rhipsalis...also very impressive. I will have to sort through pics off line to find the elkhorn.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2012 6:44 PM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 15, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #8969086

I have Stags and Elks, Jean but Iv'e only ever seen young ones on the Elk...I did try once and had a brick soaking in water to keep it moist and took the spore from the Stag and laid it on the brick...It worked ok and tiny plantlets started to grow, but as usual I wasn't vigilant enough and the brick dried out because I forgot to fill the dish it was in.

That creeper is a stunner Chrissy, hope it cheers you up...
Very warm day, so the shade cloth is up...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 15, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #8969189

Moon , that is one biiiiig plant. I have one like it about 4' long. I got a few different types of rhipsalis etc in with the epi collection when I bought it. Apparently the lady used to collect just about everything.
I have sold off most but as this one didnt look like much , I tossed it under the gum tree. I dont think I will be around if it ever gets that big.
I think your one and mine are selenicereus not rhipsalis.
Apparently they will creep or grow up for a very long way.

Dianne, I tried the same method on the wet brick and lost all the little green thingys when I forgot to water it ,too.
I have just bought more spore to try again. Hopefully things will grow and I wont forget. Now I have the room , I'll keep the whole thing in the greenhouse.
I might just add some spore from some of my ferns.

Very hot north wind here an definitely not a good day to be outside.

Chrissy, I hope you are soon back to normal. Its no fun being stuck inside and being ill as well.

Kare, if you attach the basket firmly to a tree or some other solid thing, The little elk will eventually grow over it and look quite nice.
You could flatten the side so it fits against the support.
Your new baby is an elk too as it has hands waving at you. Baby stags are just cute round bumps.

My 4 small elks are tied together in pairs with fishing line , stuffed in the centre with some coconut fibre and sit in wire baskets that hang among the epis.
Jean. .

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 15, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #8969371

77sunset wrote:

Baby stags are just cute round bumps.

That's why they're called superBUMS...they look like baby's bottoms, when they are little...at least that's my theory..
Can you tell that I am bored?...lol

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 15, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #8969372

Hi everyone. I've been really lost today. My internet has been down. Boy what a travesty. Spent about 2 hours on the phone talking to a technition [ how do you spell that word?] All sorted now. I don't know what went wrong. It's hot again here. Can't work out in the SH as I'd cook. Just hope the broms that I've already put up will stand it. Cameren's birthday tomorrow. He'll be eight. They're both hoping that their "Mother" will come like she said. I've not had an easy time with them because she didn't come the other day when she said she would so don't know what will happen if she doesn't come for their birthdays. Each day at a time I suppose. Well must go, I'll be back later. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 15, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #8969373

We needed something in front of the seat either tiles or replant the grass...it's where Tilly piddles and kept burning the lawn there...
So I decided to buy some artificial turf...
As you can see it looks great...it's a blend of green and little bits of a goldy brown to make it look natural...
It's supposed to be reasonably pee proof...we'll see.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 15, 2012
11:01 PM

Post #8969401

Dianne. you are naughty, as I was ,calling the poor little plants superBUMS. I found out yesterday its SUPERB um...lol
Still they do look like super bums when they grow.

Colleen, go with the flow. If she arrives, good , but if she doesnt, use a treat to soften the disappointment.
Kids are very resilient and they will always remember who raised them.

Still very hot & windy here. Hubby says same tomorrow
Looks like summer has arrived.
Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 16, 2012
12:47 AM

Post #8969437

Chrissy, you sound very unwell. I hope someone there will pamper you some, and that you feel better soon. I love that Rangoon creeper, and yours is stunning. The seeds you sent me didn't make it. Probably my fault, as I was too ill to keep up the watering when they first showed green.

Moon, your Rhipper is a ripper. That looks like a lush tropical paradise there. The cooler temps have arrived along with the wind and the rain. Your husband might have a wet stay while here.

Dianne, the fake turf looks great. And you don't have to mow it! Your garden looks fabulous.

Jean, stick with superbums. I'll know what you are talking about :). I'll check out the trees and find a good position for the baby elks. I had one on the big gum at the back corner, but it got too much heat from the sun and died off. They don't like trees that shed bark either. I'll find the right one when I can get out and have a good look around.

This is the big pot I got yesterday. Not ready to fill it yet, but this shows how it will look with the blanchetiana in it.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 16, 2012
1:35 AM

Post #8969456

That is one big plant, Karen...it looks terrific...

I know that they are "superb ums" Jean...I just like superBUMS...it cracks me up thinking that the person who named it did it deliberately...he could have used the latin superbus...and that's not superBUS...lol...

It's a hot night and I'm still bored...I think I will go and smell GHA and Macedon...they are gorgeous...I need a ladder for Ivoire.

This message was edited Jan 16, 2012 8:47 PM
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 16, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #8969503

Hello All-We call lilium Superbums ''great lookin backsides '' here[jean and dianne]

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 16, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #8970071

Lol looks like I have missed some odd sort of conversations.

The sun is out so I am too ...
back in a while :-)

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 16, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #8970105

Good morning everyone. Yesterday was an awful day. Lots of hot north wind. The wind is already up this morning so very warm already . One of the few hot night we have had so far this "summer".
Hubby says a change is supposed to turn up later .
I see you poor northerners are copping even more rain.

Chrissy, go back to bed . We dont want you getting worse. Stay in bed and be pampered by your hubby.
I really love your Heart of Gold brug. So large and beautiful.

Dianne. There are a number of plants that must have large derrieres as they all have superbum in their name.
I wonder if the people naming them had a sense of fun.
I cant smell GHA yet as he is still growing lots of new branches before going mad with the autumn flush.
Love your new "lawn ".

Anthony, you are right about the lovely rear ends of the liliums . Sadly even my Tigers are just about done for another season.
They stand up very well in the heat .

Karen, love your pot and the brom you are going to put in it. Now you need a mate for that pot..

Hello Moon, Charleen , Teresa and anyone else popping in for a chat and a cuppa. I am off to water the last of the pots down the back before it gets too hot.

Enjoy your day whether rain or shine.
Try this Chocolate Coconut Cake.
Happy gardening.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 16, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #8970466

Thinking about it, maybe superbutts would be good.

I am hoping the blanchetiana will do better in that tall pot than it does on the ground. The leaves are getting too damaged. I trimmed them yesterday, getting rid of the damaged bits as best I could. The lower leaves will be able to display better in the pot without getting chewed up and dragging on the ground.

Jean it seems all my driveway, pathways etc are against fences or walls, so no room really for well placed matching big pots. I love that look, but wouldn't work here. Even the path to the door has the letterbox on one side. Would look good with a pot on the other side there though. A big squat pot. Trouble is, the water meter is there :(

Lovely rain here and a chance for it to soak in so the trees get watered. The lorikeets have all come in to my front verandah to get out of the rain (and hopefully some treats) so it is very noisy and messy out there. My birds love the noisy company and are just as raucous. They'll quieten down shortly and rest. Thank goodness.

I plan to have a lazy day today. The rain is doing more for the pots and garden than I could so I can just take it easy. Hope you all have an easy day today.

Karen

Came across a family of Bush Stone Curlews at Mt. Cotton yesterday. Didn't realize they were around there. This one was close enough to get a pic.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2012
11:47 PM

Post #8970808

Hello All.

Chrissy, hope you shake your cold and feel better soon.

I guess we are stuck with Superbum as Superior Heiney would just be silly...grin

Anthony, how was the lilium show? Have you pictures of pretties for us? I know you were probably worn out from the weekend's long schedule.

That curlew is a trim looking fellow, Karen. Enjoy your rain-break. That pot is quite nice for that plant.. I have a tall one my Hubby gifted me. I was worried it might grow legs and disappear, so I filled the lower third with a few pieces of brick and some gravel and covered it with a piece of garden fabric and soil. No one gets to move it now.

This message was edited Jan 17, 2012 1:49 AM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 17, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #8971567

Good morning everyone. Well it got very dark and stormy looking yesterday afternoon, but all we got here was about 2 dozen large spots.
The wind finally changed and left but it was still rather humid all night.
This morning is very dark but no rain in sight. Someone did get a lot of rain somewhere.
Its very frustrating to watch the rain across the hills going all around here.

Cute curlew Karen, we used to hear them out in the bush years ago. Hope you are fully on the mend now.

Chrissy, stay inside and rest . We dont want to see you out in the wet while you are not well.

Moon, very pretty corner of your garden there. Its a shame people want to steal pots etc from gardens. At least yours sounds safe with the heavy filling.

Dianne, did you get some of that rain ? It seems Melbourne gets more than its share at times.

Colleen, it will soon be back to school for the boys. How are you doing with your brom moving ?

Anthony, we eagerly await pics of all your prize winning liliums.

Charleen, hope you are not getting too cold there. Hugs for Charley & friends.

Teresa, how is your garden doing over there ? Have you had much rain at all ?
I bet you are saving for all those lovely clothes you have your eye on.

Louise, if you happen to peep in, we do miss hearing about the girls . Hope you & Hank are doing well.

I'm off to throw more water around on the pot plants.
Have a lovely day .
Heres your treat for morning tea. Black Forest Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 17, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #8971696

Good morning everyone. Well it's a lovely cool morning here with thunder and overcast sky. oh oh I can see the sun is poking it's head out now. Nice southerly breeze though so hopefully not as hot as yesterday. 44C . Had a few kids over yesterday to help the boys cut their birthday cake. They came at about 9.30 and stayed til 11.30. A couple of them stayed all day and then I took them home about 6pm. I'm glad they were all good as I was running around moving broms so that they didn't get scorched. I've got a lot of the broms out of the SH still. Will try to get myself organised and get them all back in there. It's a bit hard but might see if the boys will give me a hand today. Sorry to hear that you're feeling so poorly Chrissy. Hope the meds start doing their job and you're back on top of it soon.Karen one of the pieces of Epi that you sent me is flowering. Must love it's new home. Here's Pink Snowflake. Back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 17, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #8971880

Wow, Colleen, that Pink Snowflake is a fast worker! I heard another person from the epi forum say their Pink Snowflake was flowering. Must be an offseason thing for them. But, mine isn't.

Moon, we seem to have a team of hefty males that sweep through the area and come in at night stealing things you wouldn't think anyone could move. A friend lost a 3 tier huge bird bath that was cemented into a block underground. It was right outside their bedroom window, yet these guys came in, dug it up, cement block and all, and they woke up to a hole in the ground. Didn't hear a thing. Another friend had about 50 large pots stolen from her tiny enclosed courtyard at the back of her unit. They would have had to have had at least 4 men to get the heavy pots over the 6ft fence and a truck to take them away. They seem to be quite expert at it.

My pot is staying at the back, out of sight from the road. I've also moved my larger epis from under the carport out to the trees on the side fence where they can't be seen either, even if the gates are open. It is sad that people will do this. I guess they sell them.

Going to meet a friend I haven't seen for 2 years today. Will be great to catch up.

Hope you all have a pleasant day.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 17, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #8971916

Hi everyone ...I am feeling much better but still a little wonky, I think it is the medication.

Gosh you are scaring me with stories of stolen plants, I just finished reading an item in our local paper about a whole street of newly planted trees (small ) in Penrith all gone missing. So sad because I must say that that Council has worked hard to make the street trees interesting and varied. I recall many years ago all the Little Gem Magnolia trees planted in the parks were stolen, I can't understand how people would do such a thing.

I am glad the boys had a nice day Colleen, that heat is a shocker !
We have about 30C today which is only just bearable (I hate the heat) but how can I complain with the pictures of snow piling up over the pond and temps like 40C in some Australian gardens at the moment.

Coughing again, bye for now ...enjoy the arvo everyone.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 17, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #8972182

Had to put the Tree Dahlias into the ground today, how are yours,Colleen?
Certainly not the ideal day, but they are tough...I hope that both colours grew...they were all in a pot together..the double white and the single blue.

We have flowering gums all over our suburb, some are over 50 yrs old and very beautiful, we have all the colours, red, orange, pink, white...and the council planted them on our verges as well...but for the past couple of weeks they have all been dropping their leaves...there are gum leaves everywhere...not to the extent that the trees look sick...just enough to thin out the canopies...It must have been those 40C days, then cool weather...then the wind came along and got rid of all the leaves...into everyone's driveway...unfortunately they don't make good compost...but they aren't bad as mulch.

Aldi opened locally today...so we had a look at about 11.30...the place was packed...we didn't buy anything, but it's a nice, bright store...we have been waiting for competition for Safeway...our Coles is 10 minutes away...Aldi had a food dehydrater, for 39.95...I could have been tempted...then I thought
more junk for cupboard...Bottled fruit is better ...still eating the cherries from last year.

Get better soon, Chrissy...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 17, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #8972216

Hi Dianne. Yes I have the 3 pieces growing in pots. I had better think about getting mine into the ground now then too. I've had a very large Plumbago growing as a hedge along my memory garden and it just up and died. I have a white one too but that's okay. Now I have to cut it out and dispose of it, as if I didn't have enough to do. Have just put some chicken wings into the electric frypan. Thought that i would just cut up some veggies and dump in with them and make some gravy and have sort of like a mini roast. Cameren's sitting in the background, probably smelling the chicken cooking, and saying chicken and vegetables and gravy. He must have read my mind. We're having a bit of a lazy day today. I've been making hanging hooks for my broms and putting a few up but it's way too hot to stay outside for long. Everything has had a good water so should be okay. Most of the brugs don't like this weather but RFP has another flush of flowers which should be out tomorrow or the next. The more I look at these plants the more I'm inclined to lop them all off and wait for them to put out more growth. They really are an ugly bush aren't they? I've tried to make standards out of a few but all the tops are just like sticks and all the good growth seems to come from the bottom. Might take the secataurs out the front with me next time and act like a maniac. lol Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 17, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #8972253

Look out plants... cutters advancing on you...lol..

Colleen, I feel the same way, but am waiting until late autumn so they will be nicely trimmed for winter and any that are going to flower, will have done so by then. ..
My plants all tremble when I go near the loppers and clippers hanging on the wall..

Dianne , those tree dahlias are lovely but certainly dont do well here in the wind. I tried some from an old ladys garden but the poor things gave up trying.

Getting warmer outside so will be a hot shopping day tomorrow,
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 17, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #8972260

Mine will have to take their chances, Jean and lean on everything else...
I'm giving them a chance...now it's up to them...I'm glad that your's are ok...Colleen.

The little blue single dahlia "Timothy Hammett" that I bought last year...is about 5ft tall...I will wait until it is in full flower to get a pic...that's supposed to be as big as it gets...

Buck's Fizz is the perfect plant so far...it only gets to 5ft max and spreads, It has never sent up a shoot.
it just gets wider...I hope that I haven't jinxed myself by telling you this.
When I cut the lower branches off Pink Panther and Zabaglione after the last flush..they just seemed to grow more low ones...
I think they know that if they pop up their heads above the fence they'll lose them.

Dianne

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 18, 2012
2:52 AM

Post #8972376

Ive started pics

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #8972420

Just wrong to do that to folks...you have a grand time catching up with your friend, Karen

Hope you all have a lovely day.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
6:12 AM

Post #8972534

Robert (DH) and his brother went to get hay this weekend. Look who's line up waiting for it.
DH keeps the hay on the trailer for them, but he has to remove the electircal wiring or they will tear it up. He fixed the light so he can easily remove them. They are like kids they like to see how things work...☺

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #8972536

Got two large bales.
Chrissy, hope you get to feeling better.
the weather has been sort of mild and then it turns off very cold. Had rain yesterday. Love the rain, don't care for the snow.
So been a good winter but it is not over yet...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #8972585

Like kids waiting for the cookies to bake...LOL. They are so cute.

We had rain yesterday too...turned cooler this morning supposed to warm up again by the weekend...so far...who knows what part of the roller coaster will be here then?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 18, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #8973064

Good morning everyone. The sun is shining in the window. Lovely and cool at the moment, but going to be very hot again over the next few days.
Yesterday was not too bad at all and i was able to dig a lot of irises I have sold.

Saw your pics Anthony, beautiful as always. Congratulations.

Love those poor "starving"critters, Charleen. You can see they never get fed..lol

Hello Moon, Chrissy, Dianne , Karen, Teresa and Colleen.

Shopping day and I have to pop out and water three pots before we leave so I will leave something nice in the kitchen for you all.
Enjoy the day and this Banana Chocolate Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #8973088

Spoilt rotten. ☺☺
Beautiful cake, I don't feed Charley Chocolate. But I bet he would eat it!!!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 18, 2012

Post #8973277

And who wouldn't spoil them rotten Charleen :-)

hi everyone I feel a lot less swoony today ...I hope everyone is feeling fine, gosh we take our health too much for granted don't we ? Major health kick here I come.

Anthony Congratulations ! love the photos.

A blue Dahlia ? gosh Dianne don't forget pictures, I haven't heard of a blue one before. I agree with you re Buck's Fizz ...it is a very well mannered Brug, not pushy or triffid like that's for sure.

Better go catch up on things ...enjoy your day everyone, and thankyou for your kind wishes :-) I am fine , hubby says I am just a bit run down, I don't agree, but we all are a bit older each year and sometimes tend to forget that, so Major health overhaul, starting now ...:-)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #8973295

Chrissy, it does catch up with us. I wonder how I know about "old age"
Your body may age but your mind doesn't know it.
Hugs girl, Take it one day at a time...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 18, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #8973319

Good morning everyone. So glad to hear that you're feeling a little better Chrissy. Plenty of nice fresh fruit and veg and you'll be right as rain. Have been out early this morning making more hangers for the broms. Have one section nearly full now. Still three more to go. Phew it takes lots of time. Charleen those little furry ones are so beautiful. Wish I had room to have one for the boys. They are loveable animals. It's supposed to be only 35C today so hopefully won't get that warm. I finished up hopping in the pool with the boys last evening. They think it's great when I do that. They don't stop talking and showing me what they can do. No sign of my water tanks as yet, and no sign of the plumber. Patience Colleen. 1 2 3 4 5 . Well must go and get some more broms done. I'll be back later everyone have a great day. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 18, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #8973347

Good morning. I'm off to a late start this morning. Slept in. Not like me, I'm an up with the dawnsong person.

Those are fine looking boys there, Colleen. Don't think I've seen a close up pic before.

Chrissy, I do hope you are recovering quickly. Those coughs can linger on, and on, and..., so do take care. Yes, people will take just about anything these days, and more advanced plants and trees seem to be increasingly popular to steal. Shame on them.

Those flowering gums are gorgeous. I have one here, a bloodwood, but it doesn't get enough sun. The buds develop but are way behind all the other trees in the area, and the flowers never open. I was just thinking I should get rid of it, as there is nowhere else to put it where it will get sun, and the bulldozers rammed it into the ground, so the regrowth is all just long sticks. Those dammed bulldozers have a lot to answer for at my place.

I second what moon says, Charleen - like kids waiting for the cookies. So cute though. I say that when the wild birds come in here, but really, the birds are raucous and demanding and extremely messy. Not like mules at all.

Anthony, keep clicking away there. Look forward to seeing them.

Hope everyone has a nice day. The sun is out, and the first load of washing is ready to hang, so go hang it I'd better do.

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 18, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #8973592

Lovely pic of the boys, Colleen...they certainly are growing...that plumber is a pest...you need your tanks in case you get a downpour...we only have a 2200 ltr tank, but it got us thru a couple of years of restrictions...we block off our downpipes with these rubber plugs until the tank is full...
Are you linking your tanks?...or putting them on a corner?

No Chrissy it isn't really blue it's a mauve/blue...the normal colour for Tree Dahlias, only this is a bush hybrid...
Did your M.laxa seeds grow...mine is in full flower now...smells lovely...

I was very happy to see this flowering today...have a guess!!!!!

Thumbnail by Seachanger

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 18, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #8973599

Chrissie will know straight away.

Jean, did you plant yours? or did you forget them like I do with seeds that someone gives me...
Not Brugs though...Colleen...lol

Jean, I hope that the Abutilons grow a bit quicker for you...where did you put your pink double?...mine is still in the pot.
Off to cut my Donut peach tree back a bit...it's grown way past what it is supposed to grow...Amazingly this year, because of the foliage and a bit of good luck...there wasn't one peach damaged by birds..
Back later.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 19, 2012
12:22 AM

Post #8973709

4 o clock ! do you love the fragrance ?
beautiful !

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #8973808

Dianne,Is that the one called Tie-Dye? So pretty. I have lots of the magenta ones and the hawk moths love them...like having night hummingbirds...grin

The boys are such handsome young fellows, Colleen. Sounds like you have been busy. Can't it be frustrating waiting on tradesmen?

Poor Jean...will you ever get some good rain?

Chrissy, the Rolling Stones said a mouthful...What a drag it is getting older...but when you consider the alternative...it ain't that bad...Grin Glad you are on the mend.

Teresa, the beds look great and know it was a good feeling to see them so neat. Sounds like you are much happier at the new job.

Karen, sometimes our bodies know what's better for us than we do...a good lie in can be just what we need. Grin

Charleen, I bet Charley would be happy with anything you gave him...oh goody mom's handing out treats...apples and carrots and a hug to him and the longears.

Anthony...I loved your "Iron man" display...strong hands holding delicate lilliums...how cool. I must say, some of those blooms are just breath-taking.

Hope you all have a lovely day.

Moon

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #8973992

I thought it may be a Hibiscus but that is a guess. Love the colors..
Yes, Moon, I think they think of me as a traveling Buffet bringer...☺
Love all the pictures, those little boys are not staying little...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 19, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #8974484

Good morning everyone. Quite cool outside and I have a light cardigan on. It will b ea lovely day , probably getting hotter by lunchtime as was yesterday. I can live with this weather though, but please, just a little rain, someone..

Dianne, the 4 ošlocks dont like me. The only ones I have that come up in the same place each year are some bright pink ones that appeared from nowhere years ago. They do not change color but are always bright pink.. I have taken seeds from them and thrown all around but never had any grow. They only grow where they first appeared and these days are nearly hidden by the giant kangaroo apple.
I do have a single plant that somehow grew from Chrissys seed about 4 years ago. It only blooms yellow.
I have no problem with plants like the wallflowers selfseeding everywhere. I just wish other plants would do that.
I have thrown many packets of seeds around here over the years , but never see anything from them. I blame the ants. We have billions of ants here. From teeny little ones to the larger black ones.
The larger black ones are like those army ants you see on TV. They mostly come out at night and have long trails going off from the nests.
I am always careful when gardening as the nests are everywhere. When disturbed, they all come out biting.
We have one long trail that goes along the path in front of the veranda, out onto the road. It must be at least 80 yards from the nest to the road..

Dianne, my pink double abutilon is now in a large pot in the shadehouse near the back door along with the hydrangeas.
I am intending to move a few plants out of there and add more hydrangeas and a few more small abutilons.

Hello Moon, you will be getting some very cold weather now. How is your garden going ?

Charleen, hugs for the furry fellows. Charley can have all the cakes he wants. Better than dry hay...lol

Chrissy, hope you are still resting and not sneaking out to peep at your brugs . You are probably feeling the after effects of all the tension and stress of looking after your brother. We dont realise how much this takes out of us even though done with love.

Colleen, the boys will be getting so excited as school start gets closer. Lovely pic of them.

Karen, we saw a lot of flowering gums yesterday along the road to Hamilton. There is one particular place where about 20 have been planted and are quite large now.
They are in colors of red, orange and pink. Absolutely covered in flowers. So beautiful
You would have loved to see them. I usually dont have the camera when out on shopping days . I should try and remember to get a photo.

Teresa, how is work going ? No more mad rock and rolling over there at all ? How is your garden going now ?

Hello Anthony. thats a lovely lilum that Molly won her prize with. Shes a lucky girl to have a garden loving grampa to follow around.

I'm off out in the cool to water before the sun decides to turn up the heat.
Have a lovely day.
Try this Apple and Blueberry Shortcake..
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #8974520

It was 16C last night and 22C today...will be warming up more as we head to the weekend. I am a zone warmer that Charleen and Charley. But the frosts have bitten things and the grass is brown...our days run hot and cold with no rhyme this winter.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 19, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #8974521

Morning all...
Moon, it wasn't Tie Dye...it was something starting with F, but I sent the pkt with a few seeds to Jean and forgot to write the cultivar down...

Chrissy, I still can't smell them...it's sitting underneath Zabaglione and next to Liliums on one side and Roses on the other...I might have to break off a bunch and smell them out of range of everything else.

Charleen it does look like a Hibiscus in that closeup...

Jean, I stood on a bullant, when I was a kid and boy...did I hop...we have ordinary ants under our paving...every few days a little heap of dirt appears...one day the whole garden will cave in...they have a city under there.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 19, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #8974559

Good morning everyone. A beautiful morning here, slight breeze and sun is shining. Hope it doesn't get too warm. We are going to the school this morning to do a spot of deadheading and weed pulling. The boys like to go. It is supposed to be tomorrow but I have a couple of ladies coming to have a look at the garden so we'll pop up there today and do our bit. RFP is covered in flowers this morning. I found a bud on Ecuador Pink and the first one ever on Candida. Sorry Dianne but that was the only name written on the tag and I don't know what other name has to go with it. Have nearly finished one section of the broms. Boy it's time consuming. The SH is an absolute mess. Now John suggested that I clean the pond out too. I'll think about that one as I have lots of Alocasias and water plants in there and it will be a biiiiig job. Must go I'll be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 19, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #8974574

Dianne the 4ˇclocks are like the Brugs they are fragrant as the sun goes down and have no scent in the day time unless it is heavily overcast .

Colleen that is a lovely set up ...Sue would be proud of you. Candida just means white, usually.

Jean I love the flowering gums, they tend to drop dead around here (in my area) I have seen so many dead in front yards, I think it's the wet clay. They were fine in the drought but these last wet years have seen the end of them.

A big wave to our ladies over the pond ...Spring isn't very far away, hang in there . How strange to see such huge dumps of snow in some places and warmer temps in some other areas, it does sort of mirror the odd things happening here too.

looks like everyone is very busy, that's a good thing :-)

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #8974581

Been a wild strange winter in some places and just mind boggling in others. One day at a time.
Charley sends you all soft dry nuzzles of friendship.
Jean that is a beautiful cake...I know he'd love that...☺
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 19, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #8974616

Good morning. Winds are up and the sky doesn't know what its doing. Some more potting to do today as I got some brom plants. Luckily I have just enough pots, but really, they need hanging pots, this lot. Or put up a tree. Now, there's an idea. I have a bottlebrush tree that I've been thinking of putting plants on. Might just do that.

Not much else happening here. I'm going through a very tired patch, but not sure why. Leg is still healing from the inside out and looks good, so not that. Just needs some skin to start growing over the wound now.

Seems people are home again after the holidays, so all is just about back to normal around here. I felt like I was the only person left on the street for a few weeks.

Hope everyone has a lovely day. Seems to be some problem sending this message. Maybe the forum is busy?

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 19, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #8974798

Wish I could say the same, Karen...the tourists don't leave until February...everywhere is full of people...
Colleen, you should be very proud of your Brom house...it looks as if you have been growing them for years...it looks great...
I only ever sent Knightii to you...they usually put Candida on the double white...someone else must have given it to you..
It will be pretty anyway.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 19, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #8974854

Dianne you didn't send this one to me. Knightii is still not anywhere near flowering. If he doesn't watch out the Knightii X seedlings will beat him. I hope Candida is double. Colleen
jazzk
Brisbane
Australia

January 20, 2012
12:03 AM

Post #8975025

Hi guys
haven't had the internet on for a couple of months,over christmas my desert rose had extreme numbers of blooms which all fell off to be replaced by seed pods not sure what to do with them.
my garden is growing fast with all the rain my dahlia seemed to grow 40cm in a week looking forward to blooms in the next few weeks not sure what colour it will be.
hope rain lets up soon i would like to finish the pond i started building.
sunset 77 i may have a solution to your ant problem i have been using the used coffee grounds i get my martial arts club to save them for me, the also brought my MIL's vegie patch back to life after i made the sugestion to her.

Thumbnail by jazzk

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 20, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #8975038

been sunny here - a southerly change is on the way, not sure if we will get much rain.

I read a tip that said to put cucumber peel around to keep ants at bay...
not sure how well it works but it couldn't hurt to try.

we are still getting shakes but minor here now, they had some good ones down south but off shore & no damage reported.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 20, 2012
1:57 AM

Post #8975043

Thanks for the great comments, i a struggling posting pics[ they wont load]
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 20, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #8975632

Good morning everyone. Same as yesterday here. Quite cool but should be lovely later. The breeze was just nice all day yesterday.
I potted up 2 new cannas and they are loving their wading pool for the hot weather. I lift them out in winter or they would be too wet.
I am going to buy another wading pool for the other cannas that dont fit in this one. I have a lovely salmon one out and a large one called America, nearly out.
I have a new spray for the brugs bugs. Its systemic so should do a good job.

Anthony, keep trying with the pics. I had trouble yesterday loading but just when I edited the post to say the pic wouldnt work, the darn thing popped in.

Teresa, I'm glad you are not getting the big shakes . How is the rebuilding coming in CC ?
Did you get your wall done at all ?

jazzk , thanks for the tip on ants, but I never bother with them. There are just way too many. As long as i am careful around them, they dont bother me either. There would have to be one nest at least in every 2 square metres here.
Unlike the meat ants in WA , these fellows like to work at night so are not in my way unless I wake them up. Then they come out , run around mad, then decide I'm not worth bothering so go back to bed.

Colleen, the brom house is looking good. When does John start on the next one ..lol

Dianne, your garden must be so pretty now with the brugs looking as good as they do.
I showed your pic to mine and said I want to see them look like that here.
Now if I could roof the whole place...
I dont remember doing it , but mum told me that when small , I was playing in the sandy roadside and sat on a bluebottle ants nest. She had to take me to the doctor. I guess the brain shuts out painful memories like that. I've never seen a bluebottle ant since way back then.

Karen, I hope you are feeling a bit more energetic today. Its a sad fact of life that as we age, the old bod takes much longer to get over things.
Keep resting and enjoy your garden, You will be springing around in no time.

Chrissy, there are lots of flowering gums around here along the roads,. Very pretty when flowering but nothing much otherwise.
I love the bottlebrushes and have quite a few here. Our native plants are beautiful in flower, but very plain otherwise.
One thing the "greenies" seem to forget when spouting their "use only natives plants "speech, is that the native flora evolved to a season of fire and therefore grows accordingly; being extremely flammable.
Unless one is using the small callistemons, grevilleas and correas etc.,large eucalypts have no place in our gardens.

Charleen, I found hoofprints outside the Tea Room door. Has Charlie been helping himself ?
You keep nice and warm over there. What pretty things are you making now ?

Moon, you keep warm too. Cant have you turning into a popsickle. Your garden must be looking a bit bare now in winter mode.

I had better get out with my spray before the wind picks up . It just nice out there now, but looking out the window , there are clouds coming up.
I hope you all have great weekend.
Heres something tasty. GingerBread Cake.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 20, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #8975773

Yep, Hoofprints.. Charley is trying to dig his way to you. Sounds like he may have a secret tunnel. The rascal.
I'll have to send the watchdogs to keep him in line. Here they are. Been softly raining today, but really not that bad. No freezing.
I had to fence around my fences with that netting so the little dogs wouldn't get stomped into the mud cause those longears will do it. The onery things. don't want anything in their pen...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #8975792

A couple bright spots in the garden ...what my little Grandson calls "High Scents" and a Dr Merrill (magnolia X loebneri) are blooming.

The Hyacinth

This message was edited Jan 20, 2012 5:49 PM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #8975794

And the Magnolia...with lots of buds to come.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 20, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #8975860

Moon you are having an early Spring ! I think we are having an early Autumn (we lost Summer somewhere)
Lovely blooms and how cute is your little Grandson ...I love High Scents !

Charleen you can send them through the tunnel to my place any time :-).

Jean after the awful fires of 2001 and so many homes destroyed here the council allows us to clear trees from near the homes. I love trees but truly believe big gums and many of the natives are quite dangerous in Summer, I would love to see more rain forest natives planted if people want natives. Myself I believe a nice mix of both local and others work well if you choose the right plants and trees.

Well it's sprinkling again here and very dark, Wayne says it's raining where he is so I guess there goes the gardening again, I managed to do quite a bit this morning before it started so I am off to have Brunch now.

Have a lovely day everyone (this little sweetheart came from our dear Liesa)

This message was edited Jan 21, 2012 11:54 AM

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 20, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #8976092

Off to the market this morning and I bought a terrific big blue tub with handles for $4.50 and 20 pair of cotton gloves for $5.50...these are the ones that are a stretchy cotton knit...Ray used to bring them home, when he worked at Flemington...haven't seen them since then...now I have enough pairs to do me forever...
I bought a lovely little butter coloured Salvia called Pumpkin...It's leaves smell like pineapple sage.
It will sit nicely alongside my Agastache "Summercrush"
I am hoping these pretty little Calibrochoas spread out, I'll put some Alyssum around the outside.

I love Dr Merrill, Moon...but I find it to be an indifferent flowerer...one year lots, next year just a few...what about yours?

Chrissy, at last I smelt the 4 o'clocks...you do have to put your nose in them, as Judy once said...and it is a delightful citrusy sweet perfume...I was surprised...
Warm and windy here...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 20, 2012
10:44 PM

Post #8976112

I describe them as citrusy jasmine scent ...the more you have the more scent is in the air, I went out to take pics as they opened ,
this is just the beginning as they are waking up

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 20, 2012
10:45 PM

Post #8976113

opening a little more

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 20, 2012
10:48 PM

Post #8976115

Even more, then it started to rain again, but as I said if you have lots the perfume fills the air :)

Thumbnail by chrissy100

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 21, 2012
12:40 AM

Post #8976124

Some pretty flowers here. Chrissy, I have one plant of the old time pink 4 o'clocks. It seems to self seed and at least one plant has been growing each year, sometimes several. Its full of buds atm but no flowers are actually out to check for perfume. That one of yours is a beauty. Mine are very plain pink.

Love the other flowers shown too. Moon, the Hyacinth is lovely, isn't it. They don't do well here. I guess its too hot for them.

My stapelia leendertziae is in flower again. Always amazes me, this one. The smell is a bit offputting though.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #8976300

Hyacinths has a perfume to it too.
Like the Lilacs that are with the bike. Love lilacs, makes me think of home.
Chrissy, I wish I could have a couple of those bright seeds but bet they would never get here.
Karen that is beautiful...
If Charley could find a way I'm sure he would love to try out the Aussie vegetation.
Saw an article yesterday on Canefrogs and the Tasmania Devil. If they could get them together there wouldn't be any frogs, I'm sure. those little devils are cute and noisy fellas...Saw this on animal Planet I think. Loved it and the Platypus, alway been fasinated with them.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #8976303

Yes Dianne, Dr Merrill can be a bit finicky. i have had mine for about 10 years, and have discovered that a nice application of fertilizer with a slightly higher nitrogen level in the spring after it finishes blooming gives it the boost to fill out nice and green...after that I use fertilizer with a lower nitrogen level than the P & K...seems to give it the extra boost to flower. I have also discovered that a dry fall and winter tends to result in fewer blooms.

I agree Chrissy...4 o'clocks do have a sweet "jasminey" fragrance that is so delightful in the summer just at dusk...it fills the air. I have had guests walk out of the house and stop and sniff trying to find where the perfume is coming from...only to be surprised that it is the 4 o'clock. I love the color of yours also.

Yes, Karen, the hyacinths need some cold to prime them for blooming...something closer to 0C for a spell rather than the 4 to 5 C that seems to be the coldest it gets there in Brisbane. I have also discovered that they have to be planted in the fall here to get the best blooms...that way they can bloom and grow before we start getting too hot. I must admit, I do not have great hopes for them lasting very long this year...it is the middle of winter and our temp today is 21C...about 17 degrees above the norm.

That is such a lovely colored flower, Karen. I have a stapelia gigantea and when it blooms we give it a wide berth...between the "fragrance" and the flies you don't want to be close. Grin

Hope you are all having a lovely weekend.
Moon

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #8976311

Charleen, my husband says all anyone needs to know for certain that God has a sense of humor is to look at a Platypus or a Pangolin (scaly ant eater)...I am sure the pangolin must be a distant cousin of our armadillo.

http://maibey.wordpress.com/2011/06/19/awesomely-weird-animals-the-pangolin/

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #8976475

Moon, that was great!!! Such an interesting critter. Husband is right. Thanks...♥
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 21, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #8976701

Good morning everyone. The sun is up and already getting warm . Not going to be much cool breeze today.
This is the time of day I like best in the summer. One can get out and do all that needs doing in comfort.
I am going to pot up a few more of the larger rooted cuttings today. They need to be in bigger pots so they dont dry out in the heat.

I have little green leaves coming on my floating hippeastrum seeds. Hubby thinks I'm a bit mad as I keep talking to them . Well one has to encourage the little dears to grow.
I had some hippie seeds sitting on some soil in a pot but they had done nothing so I added them to the ones floating. Maybe they will grow now.

I see my few lonely pink 4 ošlocks are growing again. I think its too dry here for them. I must get seeds and try them in pots. I usually just toss the seeds around, but they may do better id grown on first them transplanted. Maybe even left in pots. Has anyone used them as a pot plant ?

I hope everyone is enjoying the weekend and spending time in the garden.

That pangolin is very cute. I love our little echidnas here. They always seem to be smiling.

I have found that hyacinths do very well in the first year then go off a bit here. They eventually seem to die after about 3 years. I was reading once , that most people buy them new every year and just toss them after that.

Karen, my large burgundy stapelia has flowered again but my leendertziae hasnt yet flowered although it is quite large.
I also have a large flowered cream colored one which also has never flowered.
My small S. variegata always flowers though

Enjoy your gardens and also this delicious Hummingbird Cake.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 21, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #8976704

Oh, I felt so sorry for the poor thing with all those lions attacking him. Looks like his front left leg was injured, but how amazing that he got through that attack. Nature is truly amazing how one animal gets a hide like that, while others have to use their brains or other means, while we produce weapons that kill anything and every thing.

Off to see the 1.84 bud of the Amorphophallus titanum at Jacobs Well today. I figure we will never see this again in our lifetime, so I want to see the developed bud, and if possible, the flower when it opens. Will get lots of pics. From what I've seen, the bud is impressive in its own right, especially at this size.

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #8976721

tough little fella, said they played with him for 3 hours. He probably felt lucky to be alive. The babys were cuter after they get big enough to hang on. I loved it.
I bet you'd need a large container for the four o'clocks, you think???
We had a heavy rain go thru here and it started hailing with about 3/4 inch size hail and it sounded awful. tiny ice pellets bounceing off the porch...Glad it wasn't Spring it would have knocked the leaves off plants...Got litter in roadway from it...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 21, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #8977068

Hi everyone. Have been washing and shopping this morning. Have just been given a big box of peaches and was given a bucket of tomatoes, cucumbers and squash yesterday so had better do something with them before they start to deteriorate. There is a lot of homegrown fruit and veg around here at this time of the year. Some of the grapes are ripe as well. They started the harvesting the other day with the harvesters. It's very warm again today so the clothes won't be on the line for long. Then I will have to get them off and folded and away again. There won't be much gardening done, just checking to see if anything needs a drink. My sister will be up to stay for a couple of days this week, so hope it cools down a bit so that we can get down to the river and do a bit of fishing. She wants to catch a carp and try the recipe out that she has. They are beautiful pickled. They taste just like yabbies. Another load needs to go out on the line so will see you all later. Hope everyone is enjoying their weekend. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 21, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #8977177

Charleen - I sent nemesia seeds to someone in the US & they got there ok.
I wrote on the envelope that there were seeds inside & what kind.
I think the US lets in more than NZ or Aussie allow.
Just wish I knew if the seeds germinated...
mine self seed readily & have created some lovely colours.
They grow well from cuttings too so if I get something particularly good I can share it around.
cheers - Teresa
this is some of the nemesia - I was messing about with the settings on the camera for different effects

Thumbnail by dalfyre

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 21, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #8977224

That is a pretty picture Teresa.

Moon I hope you don't mind ...I posted that link to FB, what a strange but amazing little critter. thankyou for the link ...I love learning about new things.

Charleen that hail sounds dreadful, I know how damaging it is. I hope everything is ok.

Colleen I googled about the Carp because we are told it tastes awful, but evidently if you soak them overnight in plain water it purges them of that muddy taste. Then the pickling softens the bones. I would be most interested to find out if you enjoyed them or not. Nice score lovely fresh veggies, yum.

Looking forward to those pics Karen but you can keep the smell.:)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 21, 2012
10:58 PM

Post #8977231

We used to catch a lot of carp back in the 70s...once you soaked it overnight it was fine, grilled.
I have never tried pickling them...

Very impressive those Amorphophallus, Karen...looking forward to the pics.

Moon, I will try your idea for the Dr Merrill...it's worth the effort.

Very windy here today, hot too...
My 4 o'clock is in a half wine barrel with a small Fig tree...I figure a tuber the size of a loaf of bread can fit in there with the Fig...it will help to keep the Fig's roots from growing too much...it's almost 6 but the flowers aren't opened yet...
Teresa congrats on your Nemesia, they are so dainty aren't they...
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 22, 2012
2:23 AM

Post #8977269

Well, the bud is most impressive in its own right. I got lots of pics, and the bud isn't smelly until the flower actually opens, so it is still quite approachable. We plan to return in a few days to see the flower when it opens, and my chemist gave me a surgical mask to wear. Hope its enough. I believe the smell can make you throw up, and travels up to 2 km. I'll make sure I'm downwind but the flower is facing the wrong way, facing the back wall. There isn't a lot of room to take pics there and its too close for comfort once the smell starts. Oh well, once in a life time. Must be worth it.

Here is the link to the pics of the bud. I'll complete the slide show when the flower opens. But these are quite impressive.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/loonilori/Amorphophallus titanum - Corpse Plant/?albumview=slideshow

On the way to the Catlans, we passed these ponds, and this is the beautiful lotus flower that grows in one of the ponds...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 22, 2012
2:44 AM

Post #8977273

Charlene, i was fishing at meadowbank dam, many years ago and a platypus came swimming up 'bold as brass'' not a care in the world- a real sight to be seen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #8977364

Anthony, I would have been overjoyed at seeing the platypus...They are so cute and unusal, I'd love to visit Australia, to see you all and the wonderful animals...
Dalfrye, Are the plants tiny? I want to start a fairy garden, If you send them, I'll let you know if they grow. Yes Chrissy, I'd love some of those beautiful four o'clocks. I'll send you both a Charley, How about that????
I bet the four o'clocks love the wine barrel, Jean, that sounds perfect.
I have figs but the longs ears end up eatting them, Hardly ever get any figs...but they do.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #8977546

Lovely flowers...Teresa.

Chrissy...I do not mind at all...I figure if I post it...it is fair game..grin

Dianne, It is such a lovely bloom I am willing to try different things to help it. I do think it may be a part of the plants make-up to take a "rest" every so often though. Mine gets fair blooms every year, but some years it is fairly loaded with blooms...looks almost like a white leaf tree from a distance.

Anthony, did you know the male platypus has venomous spurs? The venom won't kill you, but will certainly make you cry..

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/mammals/platypus-poison1.htm

Have a lovely Monday all,

Moon
This young raptor, a red shouldered hawk, has become a regular visitor..perhaps he will reduce the mole population.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 22, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #8977802

Good morning everyone. Not such a good morning here as its hot still. An uncomfortable night and the hot wind is already around.
Its summer , what else do I expect ? Its just that after so much cool weather, the heat all of a sudden is a shock to the system.
Poor hubby feels it a lot more than I do. I cool down quickly but hubbys thermostat doesnt work very well.
I keep telling him he needs to get a new one fitted ..

Hello Charleen and Moon. You would love our weird creatures here, but then you also have some unusual ones.
I am glad we dont have your raccoons. Little mischief makers.

Dianne, I will have to put the little dwarf abutilons into bigger pots. They are growing quickly in the warm weather.

Chrissy, I see that a few of my pink 4 ošlocks are still growing under the kangaroo apple so I will pot a couple up later .

Karen, Teresa, Anthony and Colleen. Hope you all had a great weekend. I am off to pack up some irises I sold. Have to post this morning.
Enjoy your day everyone and stay cool if you have hot weather.

Happy gardening.
Heres a treat for you all. Banana Pudding
Maybe not so great for those in the cold weather but enjoy anyway.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 22, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #8977962

Good morning everyone. We have to get a new pond filter today. We've found not only yabbies in the pond but there's fish as well. Probably only Carp but that doesn't matter. They must have been either eggs or fry in the duck weed that we collected from the river. It's going to be another hot one here today.I think I'd bettewr get onto that plumber and see if i can hurry him up a bit. Even if he just gets the front working it will be good. Must go as we've got another busy day ahead. Be back later. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 22, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #8978335

Blowing a lot here ...I wish it would blow the clouds away and let the sun shine in.
Back after some lunch, I hope everyone is enjoying their day. can you believe there is only 5 weeks of Summer left ? did anyone see it pass by ?
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 22, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #8978358

It hasn't passed us by over here Chrissy. 35C at 8am that's bl----- hot. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 22, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #8978386

Same here Colleen.. very b**** hot.
Jean
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 22, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #8978389

The plumber will be here to start next week, thank goodness. I'm running around with hoses and have sprinklers going here and there as well. The poor brugs are wondering what's going on. Their flowers are getting fried as soon as they come out. Must go and check the seedlings again. Colleen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 22, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #8978391

Sorry ladies,so that's where it went ! ... I do have to say it is much more comfortable than the usual high 30's and 40 + we normally suffer at this time of the year. It truly feels like Autumn here, except in Autumn we have beautiful Sapphire blue skies instead of grey leaden ones.Crisp foggy mornings and champagne sparkling, gentle days.

I expect it will be an awful shock when a drought rears it's head head once again.Let me see I think the last time we felt real painful heat was ...just under 45C one January in 2006 or 2007.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 23, 2012
2:00 AM

Post #8978482

Howlingmoon,.,.The platypus and I were only just on talking terms,..,.,.,yes i did know...ha ha!the forestry operations kill them during forest wipeouts-Im not a greenie, but this really worries me [i've seen it]

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
5:44 AM

Post #8978612

I am only a greenie when it comes to wiping out a species by destroying their habitat... I figured you probably were aware of their spurs Anthony...I just have this insane need to protect and warn...GRIN.

Did you all see the new species of frog discovered by an acquaintance of mine? Chris Austin from the LSU natural science museum discovered a frog in New Guinea that is so tiny (7.7mm) you can fit 4 of them on a US dime, our smallest coin.

http://www.lsu.edu/departments/gold/2012/01/austin.shtml

Chrissy, it was 20 C here just before daylight...that is a summer temperature in the middle of winter. I am almost afraid for summer to come if this is any indication of what our weather will be. Our poor earth is absolutely a ball of confusion this year.

Good Morning to you all.

Moon

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 23, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #8979322

Oh that beautiful little frog, looks like a jewel, I love frogs ! we have very many here in our garden.At times I am very tempted to use a spray to kill bugs but when I hear happy frogs croaking away I just can't do it. I know they too will be killed. They say it's a test of the organic garden to have lots of frogs.
Yes the weather is so strange perhaps our Winter will be mild, our Summer (and I use the word loosely) certainly has been. We are hearing flood warnings again in some areas this morning. Our overnight temperature here was 16C, it usually sits in the high 20'sC and even the 30'sC, it's lovely to be able to sleep but strange.We will only get up to the mid 20ă's today, one again grey sky and expected showers.

Good morning everyone ! I hope whatever the weather, where ever you are, that you have a wonderful day !

I thought you might like to read this article on avocados :-) (so glad I love them)
http://www.living-foods.com/articles/avocado.html

I really want to grow some in my next garden, I have left a trail over the years of seed grown Avocados trees in my wake, next garden will have grafted ones (I no longer have 20 or 30 years to wait for those home grown fruits) lol.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 23, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #8979364

Good morning everyone. The sun is up and already very hot. I am off to water and do a bit of repair on the brugs. My dear blackbird gardeners have been digging all the soil out of the brug pots leaving them to get dry. I will cover all the pots with guttering mesh and hope this discourages the dear things.
Have to get moving or I will cook out there too.
Hello to you all and I hope some of you are getting some mild weather .
Its an icecream day here so here is a yummy Banana Split to enjoy..
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 23, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #8979401

Good morning everyone. My son reckons that there are frogs in my garden. He can hear them . I said that they were crickets but he's adamant that it's frogs. Hope he's right. Went to get a new filter for the SH pond yesterday and the boys had great fun looking at all the creatures. They even spotted an axelottle?. Of course they wanted to bring everything home. They were quite upset when I said no. Sister is coming today. I don't think we will be fishing though it's hot already. Have to do a bit of shopping to get the things that I forgot the other day. Wont be out for long though. I only seem to have blackbirds around here when the cherries are ripening. Once they've stripped the tree they're gone. Cheeky little critters. Our advocado farmers aren't having a very good year here. They have good crops but apparently NZ has been allowed to flood our markets and there's no money for our fellas. Sound familiar? Well had better get moving. Be back later Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #8979593

Jean, can you put rocks in there to keep the crows out?? What are they digging for??? Just mischief????

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 23, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #8979858

Colleen, my son had (Mexican walking fish) Axolotl for years, he had all colours and they do make good pets..in a big tank...
when he moved out of home, he gave them to the local primary school...the kids were rapt...the Axis are probably still going.

I was just looking at Avocados in the supermarket this morning...they were the most pathetic excuse for an avocado I have ever seen...didn't bother to check the source..
If I grew one of those I would be so overweight, I would burst...I prefer avocados to chocolate..
They grow very well here...

That banana split looks so good Jean, thank you.

Moon, god only knows what's up there in Papua/New Guinea...I would imagine there is a lot more to come...that frog is such a little treasure isn't it.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 23, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #8979917

You are right Dianne I would eat them every day given the chance, still they have a lot give in the health department.
They taste so good ! chilli, lemon juice and crushed garlic, pepper and salt, spread thinly over dry crisp wholegrain toast and top with tomato slices. Heaven !

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 23, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #8980007

I have only one comment on avocados... ugh...
Had a sandwich a few weeks ago when we were out shopping. It had avocado on it ...Had to give it to hubby..
I always order a fresh made sanger now...
I like growing the seeds though. Always great fun to watch plants grow ..

Not too much growing here at the moment , but that will all change later when the rain arrives in autumn. ( well I hope it will arrive )

I just know the weeds are sitting just under the soil ready to spring into action at the first good rainfall.

Hope you are all keeping cool. I am off to raid the frig for a Magnum..
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 23, 2012
8:54 PM

Post #8980016

Yes I understand your comment Jean ...it probably is an acquired taste, I did not like them at all once until given guacamole at a party and loving it. After that I was given a roll with avocado and smoked salmon while having lunch somewhere and rather than insult the host I ate it, surprise, surprise yummy !
Now it's on the list of once loathed now loved foods, I used to gag on Brussel sprouts and Pumpkin as a child, now firm favourites.
Anyone else like things they used to hate and now love ?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 23, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #8980058

Similar thing for me Chrissy...Only it was a seafood cocktail with the biggest prawns you could imagine and slices of avocado between the prawns...a lot of my friends didn't like the avo, so I ended up eating quite a few slices.
That was back in the days when Myer was Myer and they didn't skimp on anything...it was a staff party.

I always liked pumpkin, but sprouts were a no no...they are just passable for me now..I like almost all vegetables now...except for FENNEL...
I really don't like fennel, can't stand the taste or the smell...never could never will...yukky yukky yukky.

I haven't got a Magnum...but I have got frozen mango yoghurt in a big tub...that will do...I think that I have just eaten half a kilo of grapes writing this...:-)

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #8980171

I am a frog lover too...I love having them in the garden. There is something quite amusing listening to the toads sing their mating songs and the tree frogs trill to welcome the rain.

Chrissy for me it is broccoli and cauliflower...my Mom would cook them to a near mush...ugh. Then in college i had them raw in a salad and loved them. We add Hunter Valley caramelized rose vinegar to them and they are delightful.

This handsome fellow handles the slug population in the front bed.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 24, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #8980841

Good morning everyone.
Time to move from the long track. Cant have people getting tired walking down to the Tea Room.
Its lovely and cool here this morning. Such a change from the last few days , although it is going to get hot again. The cool respite will energise me again.
Hubby and I were both very lethargic yesterday.. The heat is a lot more draining than the cold. We always complain of both though, I guess its human nature .

Hello Moon, love your froggy. I havent seen any here for awhile, but they will come back when it rains.

Hello Chrissy and Dianne. Not a lot I dont eat. I love Brussell sprouts. I really like most vegies but these days prefer kumara to pumpkin.
I love seafood except oysters...ugh slimy things..
I like most fruits except some of the tropicals such as avocado, pawpaw and some mangoes.
There is nothing I never liked before which I eat now.
With me, if I dont like it the first time , I never will.

Dianne, I just remembered my son and his mice. Your talk of pets jogged a memory.
I was young then and thought a pet mouse would be nice for him and easy to look after.
I will say nothing else except I eventually got rid of 20 mice .
I bought him a guinea pig later which was so much nicer.

Hello Karen, Teresa, Anthony and Colleen, I am off to spray spider mites. while its cool.
Enjoy your day whether you are wet or dry.
Here something nice to have with your cuppa. Banana Muffins.
We have moved to here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1239321/

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America