Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Winter Sowing: last years wintersown jugs

Communities > Forums > Winter Sowing
bookmark
Forum: Winter SowingReplies: 11, Views: 301
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
TomVa
Central, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 12, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #8965182

Just wanted to show some of my sprouts last year,so far this year I've put out roses and some tree's and some flowering bushes like beauty bush,and mockorange and Japanese beauty berry.Happy wintersowing everyone

Thumbnail by TomVa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #8969601

Very nice seedlings. TomVa, where did you get you mockorange seeds. I would love to grow some of these beauties for the scent. Annette
TomVa
Central, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #8969643

Annette ,my mother has 5 bushes and I collected seed from her plants and I took a few cuttings too.I already traded all the mockorange seed away,It went fast but I will definetly save a lot more next year for ppl,I had no idea that ppl had even heard of the shrub and yes it smells wonderful.I've been looking for seed for a carolina spice bush that's the one now on my list to find and grow..Tom
Cem9165
Duluth, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #8969863

Thanks for the info Tom. I grew it as a shrub at my last home, and I'm going to see if I can find it again here this spring at any of our local nurseries. Annette
TomVa
Central, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #8969993

If you can't find it I will be glad to send you a cutting come spring:o)
rednyr
Sumter, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #8971286

Tom - I'll ask a gardening buddy of mine if she has any spicebush seeds or cuttings (she's buffy on here)

AmandaEsq

AmandaEsq
Greensboro, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #8974940

Hi Friends:

Tom - I received 6 spicebush seeds in trade last year which I cold stratified and now have them trying to germinate under different conditions. If I have much luck (?!) perhaps I could share a seedling in the spring.

Deanna - I also have mock orange seeds. A neighbor has a very old specimen in her yard. I had a few cuttings rooted which did not survive the high heat/drought this summer. I will try again in the spring.

That's about it for me with my WS so far - just the calycanthus. I am going to start some elderberry next. And then I have to take a serious look at what I have and what I really have space for. :)

Keep me posted on your WS progress.

A.
TomVa
Central, VA
(Zone 7a)

January 20, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #8975098

Amanda that is so nice of you,I'm sorry that your cuttings didnt survive,when I did mine,they were more of volunteers growing up around the plant that my mother let me dig up in the spring of 09 and move to my property,I even went last spring and got another volunteer from her,I love all the shrubs.I have spirea and rose of sharons and lilacs and rhododendrums and azaleas,burning bushes,crepemyrtles,forsythias.I like things I dont have to take too much time to take care of.. Tom
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 22, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9015658

I was looking closely at your containers. Is there no lid of any sort, not even a baggie? Some of the containers looked pretty wet, so did they eventually dry out and not rot the seed. Obviously not. I planted some seeds in smaller cups sort of like yours just because I ran out of other containers and am glad to see that you did also. As long as there is about 2" of soil, it will work then.
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 25, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9020012

Well, I found a new use for my aerogardens. I have three mounted on the wall. Aerogardens now will only sell online not to retailers. and for us in alaska?? They tack on around $30 in postage. So I filled mine with dirt. I can use the timer and lights, just not the pump and water thing. I will only use it for very delicate seeds and maybe herbs

Thumbnail by Oberon46   Thumbnail by Oberon46
Click an image for an enlarged view.

TomVa
Central, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 28, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9023086

oberon,they all had tops,I just took them off for the picture and while I had the tops off I gave them a drink..Heres an article I wrote about wintersowing and at the bottom is a clickable link of a tutorial on prepping containers http://naturalfamilytoday.com/lifestyle/quick-guide-to-winter-sowing/
Oberon46
(Mary) Anchorage, AK
(Zone 5b)

February 28, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9023345

I will put a clear cover over the flats that contain cups with seeds. I just read your article from another thread and also clicked on a couple of the articles at the bottom. Gave me a few new ideas. No end to the learning it would seem. Now that I have started (my second year) getting more serious about WSing, I am really excited to see how they turn out. I think I will try tomatoes. I love them on cheese sandwhichs and store bought doesn't come close to fresh from your own garden, not that I have ever been that successful. I am also going to try to plant some vegies among my flowers. My big problem is slugs. So I continue to think about finding a spot for a raised bed just for vegies.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Winter Sowing Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Winter Sowing Seed Swap .....part 2 alicewho 213 Mar 23, 2007 1:01 PM
Lessons learned for next year #2 zenpotter 256 Mar 23, 2007 7:56 AM
Milk jugs TurtleChi 99 Mar 19, 2007 12:20 PM
WS Poppies & transplant problems marie_ 100 May 11, 2011 4:44 PM
Database germination info bluespiral 6 Mar 5, 2008 12:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America