Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Clean and Clutter-free: Need a little support, accountability and friendship . . .

Communities > Forums > Clean and Clutter-free
bookmark
Forum: Clean and Clutter-freeReplies: 56, Views: 610
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
patchworkfarm
VOLUNTOWN, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 12, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #8965477

Hi New Friends-- I need to get back on the wagon. Ten years ago I subscribed to the FlyLady method and had great support on a forum call Organized Home. OH is now defunct and FL is too complicated to sign up to. I'm hoping the community here can help me out . . .

A little about me . . . I'm 45 years old, married, no children. I'm a homebody at heart: I garden, quilt, cook and hold down a 50+hour a week job in Human Resources at a large company. Ten years ago, I was on the top of my game professionally. I was disorganized at home, but got that controlled, and was very proud that my home was my home. I married in that time frame. Six years ago, I got transfered to a stress-filled/disaster job and all of my organizational skills disintergrated. I could see and feel all my organizational skills fall apart at work and at home. It was really hell on me psychologically, emotionally and physically to just get through my daily demands. I gave up all my personal hobbies and my social outlets.

Within the last six months, I transferred jobs, weathered two health issues (DH & Mine) and am now progressing to a much better place. I am once again controlling my work life. But my house is a wreck, and I need some accountability to right it. My goal is to get rid of some accumulated weight and stuff, and improve how I'm living. And to be a better partner to my husband in the process and as a result.

And because I'm an intrrovet in real life, I'm looking for a little hand-holding in virtual life . . .
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #8966753

Hi Patchwork! Welcome to the forum. I think we can all understand your situation. Most of us here have been in it or are in it currently. And many people here will share their tips and experiences. And maybe some of the ideas will be just what you need to hear.

Getting started is the hardest part. Looking at the whole picture can be quite overwhelming. So I would suggest focusing on one room at a time. The living room, kitchen or master bedroom may be your top priority. Choose one and remove everything from that room that doesn't belong in that room. Once a room is neat and tidy, you'll feel empowered and encouraged to continue.

One thing I do is keep an ongoing to-do list of all the things, big and small, that I need to accomplish around the house. When you look at everything, you feel overwhelmed and discouraged. And you always think, "There's so much to do! Where do I begin??" And then you feel defeated before you even start. So make your list. Then when look it over and see what you feel like tackling at this particular moment. Maybe cleaning out the fridge is what you want to tackle now. Or maybe you want to get all those boxes out of the master bedroom and clean out the closet so you can close the doors. Whichever task you feel "in the mood for", start with that.

It might help to put next to each task on your to-do list the estimated time you think the task will take. For instance, cleaning out the fridge may take 30 minutes. Replacing the batteries in the smoke detectors may take 15 minutes. Cleaning out the closet may take 2 hours. Then when you have a few minutes or hours, you can look over your to-do list and find a task that will fit that time-frame.

As you see tasks being marked off your to-do list, you'll feel more encouraged to continue. I pin my to-do list to the fridge, and as I think of something else I need to do, I add it to the list. I can also see my progress daily, even if my home doesn't exactly reflect the progress yet.

If you have any specific questions or are dealing with specific items or situations, let us know. I'm sure someone here can offer suggestions for dealing with.

One thing I remind myself from time to time is that ANY progress is WONDERFUL progress. Make it a goal to do at least one task daily, even if it's just changing the light bulb on the front porch. Even the tiniest little imperfections, like a burnt-out bulb, drain our energy. Everytime we come upon that burnt-out bulb, we usually need the light it would have provided, and we curse ourselves for putting off changing the light. Little progresses make us happier and in the end, daily progress will eventually accomplish our long-term goals.
patchworkfarm
VOLUNTOWN, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 15, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #8968317

Thank you for the welcome Butterflychaser. LOL at the burnt out bulb suggestion--I just replaced the one beside my bed that has been out for 2 weeks. It was aggravating me everytime I reached for the switch and realized I hadn't changed it yet.

In my frustrated first post, I may have not given myself enough credit. The first floor of my home is nice and tidy. I'm a fairly organized person at heart. Pantry is organized and labeled. Dishes rarely remain in the sink. However, my basement and spare bedroom have become dumping grounds for all kinds of random stuff, that I need to get rid of or find homes for. Not too many people see those spaces in my home, but I know they are a mess and it mentally bothers me that I haven't put that right yet. I also have four bins of Christmas decorations cluttering my bedroom because I haven't put them in the attic.

Today, I will resolve to put them away. I will also declutter one more bag of clothing, add that to the three in my car and drop them at the thrift store this morning. I think I just need some forward motion to get things set right.

Thanks again for your encouragement.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #8968506

Most of us have a "dumping ground". Mine is the guest bedroom. When I tackle it, I usually start with the big stuff, like the empty packing boxes that my new computer came in. It's a simple task that I put off, but once the boxes are taken out to the trash, it makes such a big difference in the look of the room and the way I feel. You'll experience the same "giddiness" when you put the Christmas decorations in the attic.

I've always been slow to put Christmas decor away. And the last few years, the thought of having to put it all away after Christmas prevented me from dragging it all out in the first place. Last summer I gave it all away, so that is one less chore I have to dread and feel guilty about.

I desperately need to clean out a couple of closets. Maybe I'll focus on one of them today. I must have 50 T-shirts in one closet. Who needs 50 t-shirts??? Some could be cut into dusting rags.

If the rest of your home is nice and neat, you're doing pretty good. You just have a couple of spaces to tidy up. As you get the bedroom in order, I bet the basement won't seem so daunting. Way to go on your organization. I'm cheering you on to the finish line. :-)
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

January 17, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #8971584

pictures!!! I am 77 YO and not getting any younger...and I have tons of photos...I am in the process of going through them...dividing them among my 3 children and 4 grandchildren...and ending up with only a handfull. I have thrown away MANY MANY...no one would enjoy them after I am gone...and my DD's will thank me when my time comes to leave this world.

My guest bedroom is also my "catch-all". I look forward to having some one come for an overnight visit so I well be compelled to clean out the clutter...but until then...back to the photos. Jo
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
7:16 PM

Post #8973572

Patch, the most important thing I took away from flylady (I tired of her political soapbox) is THE TIMER.

I use mine religiously. Set it for just 15 minutes every day & in a year you will have done, let's see ... um ... more than 91 hours of something or other!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 22, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #8977559

Welcome aboard Patch. You are ahead of the game in that you realize a problem and want to set it straight. Your brief introduction could have been mine written about a year ago. In this group I found the encouragement and support to keep at things until I was satisfied at the time that I had done a very good job of ridding many of my dumping grounds of their debris.

Butterfly Catcher and her hints and tips are what helped me the most in my de-cluttering journey a year ago. I wanted the good feelings she talked about that were associated with down sizing and neatening our living spaces. What she said about momentum was true. And the just getting started bit holds true too. After seeing some of the small successes and feeling the excitement associated with a smoother running household, we do want to do more and more.

Anyway...I will be looking forward to hear about your progress. I know that you will do a great job because the desire is there.

Ruby
patchworkfarm
VOLUNTOWN, CT
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #8986872

Thank you all for encouraging words! In the two weeks since I first posted, I kicked it up a notch, to quote Emerill. I still have not touched the spare bedroom, but I got some momentum. I started with my main floor, which I considered tidy and livable. Fifteen minutes at a time, I forced myself to declutter some more, and power cleaned. (This weekend saw some real progress.) I needed to start where it wasn't really bad to get my groove. I checked in on the Flylady site (I had subscribed to her once upon a time), set my timer and baby stepped my way back to getting things right.

So next weekend, the spare bedroom!
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
12:34 AM

Post #8987550

Oh, I think most of us could use a kick in the pants lol. I am a collector by nature and love to stay neat and tidy but that is tough for me. I have several Spring projects I want to get done before warm weather gets here to stay and then I will be outside and the housekeeping will be on the backburner.

Teresa in KY
rubyw
Crozet, VA

January 30, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #8987989

Way to go Patch...I can sense you excitement. I know and have heard others say too, that once we get in the groove and get going, things just sort of fall in to place and the task actually becomes quite enjoyable. I know that last winter as I was de-cluttering I could begin to feel some sort of lightness to my house that didn't seem to be there before. So, there was a noticable difference, even though most of the items I parted with had been stored hidden away in closets and such. It was almost as if my house were breathing a sigh of relief.

Keep up the good work.

Ruby
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 30, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #8988050

I can do 5 times more work if I am in the mood. If I am forcing myself to tidy it is a very slow process.

Good luck everyone, we CAN do it!
handbright
Coral Springs, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 3, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #8993172

heres that hand- go for it...
sueshoopman
Austin, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
5:59 AM

Post #8998877

You know, Patchwork-- I think it all works together! Losing weight, changing jobs, improving your relationships and cleaning out clutter in your house...you deserve all those things and you can do them...and when you start trying to do them, you do!

I just retired from being an elementary librarian for 30 years--and I brought home huge piles of "stuff." I gave lots of it away here in town--but I took big piles of school supplies down to my sister's house to donate to her school. Yesterday I visited her at her school--and she introduced me to everyone, "This is my sister--the one who's given us all those great supplies!" The teachers just beamed at me!

One of the things that I've found helps me when it comes to uncluttering is designating a spot for discards. I have a stack of baskets in the entryway and when I pick up something and realize I don't need it or use it, I put it in the basket. When I get a couple of full baskets, I drop off at Goodwill. I try to pay attention to things like when I put on a shirt and think, "This itches" or "I just don't like the way this looks" or "This is just a little too short" and drop it right then in the give-away pile. After all, it's never going to be longer, look better, or not itch!

I do longer projects, too--right now we're redoing our kitchen and replacing all the floors in our house...so I've been especially busy with weeding things as I packed them...but I find that I don't get so overwhelmed if I just chip away at a lot of things. (Another thing that helps me when I'm looking at a hobby I've moved away from, or a drawer with little things that I've been "saving" because I "might need them sometime" is that if you don't use it, you won't generally remember that you've got it when you could use it. Does that make sense?)

And boy oh boy does it ever feel good to take a car full of stuff and pass it on to somebody somewhere!

Let us know how you're doing, Patch!

Sue
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

February 8, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #8999042

Welcome to Dave's Garden, Sue...You have given us some good advice! Jo
rubyw
Crozet, VA

February 8, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #8999356

Welcome Sue and you are correct about it seeming to be inter-connected and it all working together. It seems as though we get one area of our lives addressed and in good order and that motivates us to do more and more. So glad that your sister's school was able to use the supplies you donated. That is always a win-win situation.

Ruby
bluegrassmom
Lewisburg, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9003646

I am trying to lose weight again :( This time the dr said I have lupus that is mild or in remission.
I am trying to walk or do some type of excerise each day. Change my eating habits too.
I have found that I like salad with a bit of ranch.

I have been a happy person all my life, the extra weight has always been a burden for me. My doc said that for 1 extra pound it = to 3 lbs of pressure on your joints. I have lost it before it just keeps returning :(

On house cleaning I am trying to overcome the pack rat syndome. When first married we didn't have extra money. Now if I donate items to charity or the local mission I tell myself, someone needs this more than me. If I do need it again I have the resources to go out and purchase another.
Teresa in KY
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 12, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9003843

Hi Teresa. My 58 yr old sister has Lupus too, as well as fibromyalgia. Episodes come and go without any notice. She says the key to her survival is "good drugs". She takes her medications religiously as prescribed to reduce the severity and frequency of the episodes. She's very active--an attorney, wife to a judge, lots of social gatherings and nights out, mother to a busy college student, an active fundraiser for her community, etc. How she does it all, I have no idea. But she does say being busy helps keep her from getting mired down in her diseases. They say avoiding stress helps too, but I'm not sure my sis can avoid stress in her busy life. She does have days where she retreats to her bedroom and no one bothers her until she comes out again. She's dealt with lupus for 30 or so years, so she's an old pro at it now.

I think one thing that helped her get a handle on it was forming a Lupus foundation. Other people in the community joined and she got lots of support and tips from others suffering with the same disease. Do you have a support group for Lupus in your community? If not, maybe you could start one? Or find one online. Sharing tips and ideas with others in the same situation could help make life easier.

With weight, losing it seems to be the easy part. Keeping it off is much harder. Somewhere I read that the extra weight changes our hormones, and that our bodies want to keep the weight. So if we lose it, the body remembers the weight and misses it and sabotages us so we regain it. Even the bacteria in an overweight person's stomach is different from the bacteria in a thin person's stomach. So there's been some research done about using antibiotics for weight loss. And there may be some merit to that. I know when I take anitbiotics for a kidney infection, I have no appetite.

Anyway, good luck with your progress in all areas. I'm sorry you have to deal with Lupus; it's such a tough ever-changing disease with so many unpredictable symptoms. You'll accomplish your decluttering process, I'm sure. You've adopted the right attitude to let go of the items. Keep us posted on your success.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9004389

I love that she has such balance & love in her attorney life that she can retreat to the bedroom like that & recharge & she is allowed to do so.

I've always been thin but I love to run & climb trees & whatnot. At 49 though, I see what other people have dealt with -- I have to pay attention just a bit or 5 pounds creep in! At the same time my knees hurt a bit on occasion these days so we certainly do not want to encourage that with even an extra ounce.

I just want to encourage anyone dealing with unhealthy fat to FIGURE OUT what will work for you so that you can lose it. We have so many tools these days, from pay plans that DO work, like Weight Watchers or Medifast, to online support groups like us, plus just a wealth of knowledge about where calories come from & what is a healthy diet.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2012
3:44 PM

Post #9009185

Could not help but post about the weight issues. I am now 70 years old. We never expect to be THAT OLD! Only the lucky get there. I have weighed 92 and I have 172 in my adult life. Have settled now to around 152. Used to be 5'1", now I am 4'11". A few years ago I was a Fox and had it alll together. Life happens, things change. Got a call early this morning that a long time friend died in his sleep last night, 69 years of age. There was a time when I would have said that was OOOLLLLDD. Life is so very short. We worry about our weight, our looks, our clutter, cleaning the oven...etc,etc,etc,

Guess I am feeling rather melancholy this evening as another friend is dying of cancer. Only weeks left in her life. She, too, has always worried about her weight. In the big scheme of things, JUST WHAT IS THE MOST IMPORTANT IN YOUR LIFE.

Guess I have burned my bridges here.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9009202

Lou, I am so sorry about your friends. And how glad are we that you are still here in the land of the living? VERY. You have always been a huge addition to DG.

You made me think about something == without kids, I will never have grandbabies to keep me young. But perhaps because of my relative level of immaturity, I have always had luck making friends with youngsters & twentysomethings. That may come in handy when my age peers are kicking the bucket, no?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9009274

I'm sorry about my bad attitude a short time ago. I should gone into my room and closed the door. Just a lot sorrow today and I dumped it here. I will try to do better tomorrow.

Christi
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9009279

Sweetheart, no bad attitude came across! Seriously, in this forum we take the bad with the good. You simply sounded thoughtful to me and, yes, sorrowful.

My heart is going out to you. How can we help?
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 16, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9009291

On my knees tonight. Thanking God Our Father for my many blessings. DG is most certainly on that long list. When confronted with our mortality, everything else gets very insignificant. But that is what makes up life so we will trudge on and hope to help others in any way possible. I love all you so very much. One big family.
summerkid
Rose Lodge, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 16, 2012
7:40 PM

Post #9009434

Yeah, just TRY to burn bridges. I've already shed a couple of tears on your behalf, and I will add some eminently more-useful prayers right now.

I always figure that losses should remind us of how fortunate we were to have so much to lose. Of course, I can never actually apply that to myself.

Sweet dreams, Cristi.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 17, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9009907

Cristi, I know I've not "met" you yet here, but I will add my prayers to Summerkid's for you as well. Ya just can't see someone who's hurting and not hug 'em or offer prayers... at least that's the way I see it. And, by the way, that *is* how I saw your first post here, as a person hurting and in need of comforting and understanding and big fat hugs.

Very Warmly,

Susan

Depsi

Depsi
Orofino, ID
(Zone 6a)

February 29, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9024645

LouC, your post really hit me...32yrs old 103lbs 63yrs old 202lbs...I used to turn heads big time, now I meet noone's eyes...feel great shame...I have my heart around you & know that you are very special inside...Keep it up...
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9025838

No cause for shame over your weight, child. My daughter has fought that demon all of her life and even had gastric by-pass and almost died...all for loosing weight. It didn't stay off very long and now she has more health problems that ever. This world is truly messed up in that we all measure ourselves by a mirror, clothes size, and scale. It is very obvious that the depth of love in your heart is great. I have a friend that has maintained her "looks" for 50 years. Sure hasn't been the golden ring for her. Our Lord doesn't look on the outside (btw, He made us so why do we question His creation all the time?) but on the inside of our souls. Every single one of you are white as snow. The imperfections that we perceive are pointed out to us by satan to take away the joy of the day.

Supposed to 80 degrees today. Out to the garden to play in the dirt.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9026126

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/disneys-habit-heroes-accused-fat-shame

How ironic. Disney is in the news for having a new area at Epcot that was dedicated to "fat-shame". Please check out this link and you will see that the reaction was so hard that Disney has closed it down after only 3 weeks. What in the world were they thinking?

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9026223

Well imagine that, the link says that the website is either no longer available, or simply not available at this time. Doesn't take them long to run and hide, huh? Tsk tsk tsk, the SHAME is on THEM!
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 1, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9026299

How disgusting. It was on the Shine website and I got a heads up on Facebook.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9026717

I did do a Google search and found the story elsewhere. Makes me SICK. I'm glad they shut that area and their website down, hope it stays shut down for a long long long time! I just gotta say, I've been "fluffy" nearly my whole life, and I'm WONDERFUL just how I am! < =)
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 2, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9026849

That you are!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 10, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9036876

I just read the article about Disney and the fat shaming. I find it interesting that two out of the three threads I have read this morning are concentrating on weight issues. Hmmm...message from the Universe to me? I was always the chubby girl in elementary school and now at age 56, I still feel the effects of some ugliness that was directed at me.

Many of you have given some really good insight to the issue, such as God made this body and he loves it, so should I. My weight too has been all over the map over the years. I now happily carry about twenty five to thirty pounds of extra cushioning around each day.

I learned way back when that dieting and I don't do well together. I often became a nervous wreck and it really had an emotional affect on me, so I have pretty much left dieting to those who have stronger consititutions. With me, what you see is what you get. I have had two ex husbands who knew that weight was a sticky topic for me and they would often use it to push my buttons. I have now been with husband number three who has never in twenty years of marriage mentioned that I should lose weight. In fact, he married me while I was on Prednisone and was at my heaviest weight ever of 202. That says a lot about his character.

Anyway...I too am of the mindset that a person really caught up in their looks are of a very simple mind. I have much better places to direct my energies than being too overly concerned about how I look.

Anyway...Lou, please know that I agree with everything that Summerkid said to you. You are a very lovable person and you feeling that you acted less than ideally is no problem among friends. I hope that you will allow yourself to have whatever emotion you happen to be feeling at any given time a voice...that way it will get out of you and disperse in to the atmosphere and leave you the heck alone. No one can continue on a positive note day in and day out. I work hard on trying to maintain a positive attitude, but only I know how sometimes I find myself with a really negative outlook. I much prefer how I feel when thinking the positive, so am usually able to get rid of the negative feelings a lot quicker than I used to be able to. I call it allowing someone or something to steal my joy, and I don't put up with that for too very long if I can do anything at all to prevent it.

I hope that as you close your eyes tonight Lou, that you will know that all the time and energy you extend towards being involved in Dave's Garden has not been for naught. You have helped so very many over the years you have been here. When you do find yourself having a tough go of it, allow us to repay your kindness and caring to you.

I heard something once that has stuck with me, though I admit I usually first get angry when I feel someone has treated me wrongly, but then I recall this saying and realize that they are lashing out because they are feeling hurt over something. "Hurting people, hurt." If we can remember to try not to jump to conclusion when someone is treating us less than ideally, but to think that behind their hurtful ways, there is a hurting person, maybe we can begin to feel differently about them. It certainly isn't easy and I don't admit to always being able to do this, but it does ease our own sting if we realize where the sting is coming from.

You folks all have a great weekend. Think I am going to get my walking cane and take a walk around the yard and see if anything new has bloomed since earlier in the week. Take good care everyone.

Ruby
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9036936

Thank you, Ruby. We are having an "Easter Spell" right now...pretty early so we may have another. All of last week was in the 70s and it was just beautiful. Thursday we had a Blue Norther' hit us with rain and high winds. We really, really need the rain so no complaints there. In the lower 40's today and it feels like it is much colder because of the sudden contrast. I can hardly wait for the sun to come out because I have a jillion poppies and larkspur up and they are loaded with buds. Lots of things beginning to bolo,, now. The colors of the leaves just budding out give me a lift as well. This is waaaay OT but I do that a lot.
We have been battling sugar ants all over our desks and laptops for several months. I don't like poison but I did put out some Terro bait traps and all it seemed to do was feed them. Went to "Google" for help. One of the suggestions was ground cinnamon. Not toxic to any living thing but ants don't like it and won't cross it. Since yesterday morning I have seen only 3-4 or ants and the aroma of the cinnamon is intoxicating. Just thought I would pass that little bit on in case any of you are having problems with ants.

Another website I recommend is "Pinterest.com". Oh my word! It is addicting. I can get lost there and accomplish nothing all day. Right now I am watching a white wing dove sitting on top of the covered bird feeder. It is all puffed up to keep warm. We have multiple feeders and water stations and our yard had been covered in all manner of birds. The blue jays are gathering nest material. A house sparrow was already feeding a fledgling this morning. The robins and cardinals are here to stay.

God has blessed me and I Praise Him.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9037037

Ruby, I subscribe to the "full bucket" idea.

I was at at 4-H leaders meeting in Georgia one time and the speaker said he started each day with a "bucket full of happiness". As the day progressed folks would dip in his bucket and take away some of his happiness. So...Tell folks to "keep your dipper outa my BUCKET!!! Jo
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 19, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9048809

I like the bucket idea Jo. Thanks. Gosh, I haven't read any threads for a while now and I can't even remember the subject I last wrote about while here. Anyway...it is good reading about the interesting things that Lou has going on and also to hear Jo adding another way of looking at our lives.

I too Lou am loving the weather we are having in Virginia. This is week number two of temperatures in the 70's and that is just perfect for working in the yard. Slowly but surely I am addressing cleaning up beds left all winter. Things are looking good and I am sure that all the plants trying to pop through are appreciative of the work I have been doing in order that they may breath better. I still have loads to do but after working a couple of hours yesterday, I realized that I am actually getting a lot taken care of.

My houseplants too are thriving currently. Oh what a difference stronger sun makes in the way they look. I have some Coleus that are really going to town. I have been rooting some and have now actually started potting up some of the Coleus in hopes of selling at the Farmers Markets when they open next month.

It was a very, very mild winter here but I am so looking forward to some months of good temperatures before it turns too hot to do much outside. I am getting neither house plant work nor yard work done sitting here yakking, so I will be off for now. Hope that where ever you are today that the sun is shining brightly upon you.

Ruby
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9049049

SNOW! In Southern Arizona...we have had the best winter ever...and today it is snowing. It will not stick here in the valley (4500 Ft), but will on the mountain tops (7,000 ft). Going to get back to nice weather Wed. I hope. "Mother Nature" has dipped into MY bucket! LOL Jo
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9049050

SNOW! In Southern Arizona...we have had the best winter ever...and today it is snowing. It will not stick here in the valley (4500 Ft), but will on the mountain tops (7,000 ft). Going to get back to nice weather Wed. I hope. "Mother Nature" has dipped into MY bucket! LOL Jo
rubyw
Crozet, VA

March 20, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9050168

I think that deserves being said twice there Jo. hahaha That is what I am fearing. It is going in to about week number three of unusually high temps for our area. I want so badly to get out and sow seeds or plant plants, and I am afraid that as soon as I do it, along will come somoething such as you are speaking of...snow or ice.

Anyway...I will just have to occupy myself with cleaning gardens for now. That will take a lot of time, so I won't be in too much of a hurry on getting anything in the ground.

Thanks for writing to share this news though. Very interesting.

Ruby

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 21, 2012
3:01 AM

Post #9051031

Yes Ruby, I'm like you in that I've had those unusually high temps as well, and been really anxious to get out there and put some stuff in the ground, but posts like Jo's are a good reminder that ya just never know what might be coming our way. I'll just patiently chomp at the bit and wait a little longer. =)
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

March 21, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9051330

Did we lose patchworkfarm that started this thread?? Jo

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

March 23, 2012
3:42 AM

Post #9053604

I was wondering the same thing, Jo. Oooh Patchworkfarm!! Where are you?? =)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 14, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9081884

Not sure about patchwork...but I plan to keep up here if others do. I have been so busy the past few weeks that I am behind on all the threads I like to read. Hope I haven't missed too much whilst away.

Hope that those reading are having an enjoyable weekend.

Ruby

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 16, 2012
3:11 AM

Post #9084232

I hope you had a wonderful, neat, and clutter-free weekend too, Ruby! =)
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 16, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9084617

Hey there Speedie...nope, can't truthfully say that de-cluttering is currently on my list of things to do. In fact, I am busy potting up lots of plant rootings I have going in hopes of selling some later on. I am having to house these new pots inside and they are beginning to take over all my walking paths. hahaha Really a lot of fun, but neatness and tidiness are almost out of the question the way things are looking. Wish me luck on having a good selling day when the Farmers Markets open.

I did have some interest this morning from our Pharmacist who says his wife wants to take a look at my offerings because she is moving to a new office at work and wants some things for her window. I hope she can find a several that she can't live without. hahaha

Anyway...good to hear from you and hope that your de-cluttering is going better than mine. My major de-cluttering will be after the house plants are outside for the summer, when I can work around things a lot easier than I would be able to do now.

I have a good incentive for de-cluttering and down sizing soon because after doing so, I will begin the process of having new flooring laid. Yippie, gonna really love that.

Have a great day.

Ruby

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

April 17, 2012
3:19 AM

Post #9085666

Offering up some prayers that the Pharmacist's wife NEEDS what you're selling! =)

I wish I'd taken some "before" pics of my basement, when that second stair-step bench was still needing to be built.. and the 2 trellis planters, and the bird bath. HAAAA!!!!!!! Oh my, talk about clutter! Now the basement has free walking space, and lots of it!! It's so hard to un-clutter AND be productive at the same time, huh? But, it's pretty much a rule around here 'cause there's just NOT enough space, and we don't have a garage or a shed, nor do we have space for them. =( Always dreams of "the next house...". < =D
Mego27
Louisville, KY

April 19, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #9089163

The mild winter and HOT March has caused me to spend too much time outside and none inside. Working 9-5 I have no passion to clean house when I get home.
I envy my friends with kids because they have some incentive to do this stuff. I intend to post some photos of some really neat plants that I have. Some are very unique and I am proud because I live so far down in the city that you can see the lights on the skyscrapers at night out of my dining room window!
handbright
Coral Springs, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 21, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9091449

Hey patchworkfarms! I hope you will come back and let everyone know how you are doing-
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 23, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9094197

Hey Handbright, I would love to hear an update from you also. How's things down Florida way? Are you doing any gardening? Most of my hours are being spent either working on houseplants or working outside in the gardens too. I do know that soon I will addressing the indoors work because of planning to have new flooring laid this summer. So much packing up and possible disposing of items in order for that to happen. This is the week for buying the carpeting, so that hopefully will be motivation enough to get me started on all I have to do in preparation for it.

Mego, we love pictures and I personally love interesting plants. Many of my garden plants and houseplants have come from other Dave's Gardens members. Getting to swap or be just be gifted by other gardeners is half the fun of being a member here.

On May 19th, the Mid Atlantic Gardeners Forum on Dave's is sponsoring a Plant Swap at a member's home. The group tries to do this at least twice a year and over the years, I have been the recipient of some quite interesting plants. Another cool aspect to it is that you get to kindly recall the donor whenever you see the plant. There is no way I could have afforded all the plants I now have if it hadn't been from gifting from others.

Speedie, I didn't have to lift a finger to make a sale to the Pharmacists wife. She decided to go with the plants I have in their store window. Last year after selling houseplants at the farmers market nearby, and winter rolling in and I having very limited space for all the pots, I asked if I could put some of my leftovers in their bare front window and they agreed. I put a price tag of either six or eight dollars on each plant depending upon its size. Since last fall, I have sold quite a few. It is always a great feeling that folks would actually pay money for something that I love doing so much.

Over the past month or so I am gearing up for our market which opens this Saturday. I have quite a few things to send with my hubby who does the actual selling along with the garden plants he sells there. We are definitely not getting rich, but it brings a lot of enjoyment to both of us, so we will do it for a while until it becomes a chore.

Anyway...good hearing from everyone. Have a good day all.

Ruby

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 3, 2012
2:41 AM

Post #9108104

Oh YAY Ruby!!!!!!!! **BRAVO**!!!!!!!! < =D It surely is a great blessing to be able to get paid to do something you love, huh?

Mego, looking forward to seeing those pictures of the interesting plants!!

Ok y'all, I really need a kick in the p(l)ants to get me busy doing what I KNOW I need to do, which is to install all the new stuff I brought home earlier this week. Got a front bed semi-full of new acquisitions, and they're all just sitting around in their pots waiting to be put into their new homes... and waiting for me to "feel like it"... tsk tsk, shame on me!! If you see me in here this afternoon when I get home from work, please YELL AT ME, to GET OUTSIDE WHERE I BELONG!! < =D
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 7, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9113990

Hey there speedie...I am not a good one to movitate others. I have had some annuals I bought at least three weeks ago and maybe longer sitting in their original packing on my side porch all this time. Last evening, I finally got the remaining ones potted. I really don't know what I was thinking when I bought them, because I already have more garden type of work to do than I have time for. I have so many seed packets sitting waiting for me to do something with them too.

I have enjoyed potting house plant rootings for market, but am behind on that too. Many times I will spread out what I plan to work with and it takes longer than I had thought it might, and I end up putting the rootings right back in the water to stay a bit longer. I now have two trays full of Wandering Jew and Spider Plants which really need me to get them potted. I would hate to lose any of them due to my not getting them in soil soon enough.

I do plan to start taking my houseplants outdoors at some point this week, and that will help me get an idea of what needs to be done next and have more space to work with and hopefully make the work more pleasurable. I can get totally absorbed in working with plants and find that it is very relaxing and stress relieving for me.

I hope by now that you have your things planted and are caught up if there is such as thing as being caught up in gardening. Happy Gardening.

Ruby

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 11, 2012
3:08 AM

Post #9119418

Good Morning Ruby, and I had to giggle 'cause you sound just like me! =) DH asks me constantly "WHAT are you thinking when you buy all these things?? Have you even planted all the ones that you bought last time!?" ... **hang my head in shame**.. Uuuhhh, nooo.
< =/ LOL!!!!!! However, I **did** get several of the ones I'd mentioned in my last post done; got the water pump planter thingy filled up and planted out all the "spilled pot" stuff that I'd planned to. Good Gravy, I didn't realize there were so many to install!!

Here's what I got done: Pics 1 and 2 are of the water pump thingy, and (I think) you can see all the Verbena in the background, and how it runs around everywhere!
Pics 3 and 4 are two different angles of the "spilled pot". LOTS of Petunias, 2 different varieties of Bacopa, some Celosia, Calibrachoa... and I don't remember what all else. ;)

Oh, and by the way... those 2 grower's pots of Clematis **did** get installed into the trellis planters and put in the back bed, last weekend. =)

Did you get your house plants moved outside?

Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean   Thumbnail by speediebean
Click an image for an enlarged view.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 11, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9119581

Absolutely gorgeous pictures speedie!!! Love, love, love them. I don't believe I have ever seen a yellow Petunia, but you can bet your sweet bippie that I will be purchasing or trying to grow some later on. How beautiful!!! Thank you so much for sharing them. I needed a pick me up this morning. I have been ill since Wednesday and it has not been fun. Will be seeing my doctor within the hour and am hoping it is something that can be treated. I am suspecting a Urinary Tract Infection which often makes me feel this ill.

I have all my purchases planted too minus three small cups of wax Begonias. I guess I purchased so many of those this year, that I tired of potting them and haven't yet found the motivation to do so yet. Maybe later today I will feel like getting my hands dirty and do it.

I know that you frequent some of the other threads I am on, and am wondering if you are going to the swap at Holly's? There are several names on the attendance list that I am not really too familiar with and cannot remember if you are attending or not. If not, you will be missing a great day. I want to be well recovered by the time it rolls around because one thing, we have a very long drive to get there and back. Thankfully, hubby will do the driving, but being in the car for long periods can be hard on folks too.

Anyway...thanks again for sharing your beauties. I am sure that you smile each time you look at them.

Ruby
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 11, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9120342

I'm afraid that we have run patchwork farm off to parts unknown. Guess we overwhelmed her in the very beginning.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 12, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9120934

Hi Lou - Great to see you. Been a good while since we chatted. I hope that things are going well with you and yours. I guess that everyone got busy with gardening and chatting is taking a back seat. Not sure what happened with Patchwork...and even though I haven't gone back to see if anyone said anything that might be overwhelming or insulting in any way...I hope not and can't imagine that is the case. Anyway...

Gardening here has been wonderful so far. I am not looking forward to the possible heat that will come soon enough. The past two summers we have had extraordinarily hot temperatures and I don't get outside much during those types of days when it seems almost hard to breathe. I am enjoying the mild temperatures we are having for the most part. A few days so far it has been too warm for me to venture out.

I took some pictures last night and have been sharing them in other spots this morning, so thought I would go ahead and share here too. So many beautiful and interesting things garden wise currently. Could have snapped a lot more pics, but my memory stick beeped as being full.

Anyway...the first pic is a shot of my back yard. Shot two is a vase of Iris and Peony on our dining room table. The others are some of my hens and chicks which are really delighting me. Hope that all readers are having a good weekend and that it will continue to be so for all.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw
Click an image for an enlarged view.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

May 22, 2012
3:12 AM

Post #9133035

Oh my GOODNESS, I have been remiss, haven't I? < =/

Wow Ruby, what beautiful pics, and I just LOVE your Hens and Chicks!!! (hmmm, I made a rhyme! heeheeheee)

Speaking of "accountability" and organizing ... (yeah, it was mentioned around here somewhere), I'm gonna need a SERIOUS kick in the plants to get me motivated to get out there and weed that driveway-side bed soon. Noooo, I STILL haven't done it yet, and there's soooooo much stuff out there growing (stuff other than weeds, that is) and budding and blooming, they'd really be much happier if I'd get out there and clean up their home!
Poooor little guys!! < =( I'm off tomorrow, but ALAS! I have to take my truck in for an oil change and a little headlight housing work... maybe I'll have time when I get home..?

Meanwhile though, I finally **did** get all my annuals put into the biggest bed, and it's looking lovely, I must say! Sorry, no new pics because by the time I was finished, I was ready for a shower and FOOD! ;) (and a nap, too, heehee) I did, however, get some pics of the back shady-container-bed. WOW my Hostas are happy, and that makes ME happy! This is my first year with Hostas and it's really exciting!! I think I either need a new camera, or I need to learn how to use this one that I've got, 'cause too many of my pictures came out blurry, but I'll try to share the best ones with you.

Oooops, as it turns out the picture-adding is not working. =( Oh well, suffice it to say I've been a semi-good girl! =)

Anyway, at least there's one or two areas where I have not been (too) negligent! =)

Happy gardening everyone!! < =D
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 22, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9133739

Missed you at the Swap on Saturday Speedie. What a great day we all had. Oh my goodness what a car load of goodies I brought home. Our gardens will be extra lovely too whenever we get around to planting all the new to us plants we received. Somehow at the end of these swaps a lot of folks have extras they have brought along with them and people are running around trying to give the extras away. We didn't take one thing extra this time, because our car was so loaded with things that others had requested, that extras wouldn't have fit anywhere.

I am the same as you Speedie in terms of having so much gardening to do. Most of today has been spent moving things around on the deck, making room for my gazillion houseplants that need to move outdoors for the summer. Made really good progress earlier, but decided a computer break was needed. I will get back to plant chores in a bit. Yes, gardening is a lot of extra work, but the pay off is so rewarding. Non-gardeners would ever understand the good feelings that come from seeing things grow.

In terms of motivation...I too will soon be needing some encouragement and cheer leading. The time has arrived for me to begin getting ready to have new carpeting installed through out my house. I have been waiting until I could take the house plants outdoors, and that time has finally arrived. I now need to begin packing up all my belongings and storing them so that the carpet layers can come in and work. I just asked a friend to come on Saturday and help me get started packing things from my three china cabinets.

The final cost on the carpeting is a bit higher than I was hoping it would be. We can save ourselves almost five hundred dollars if we move the furniture ourselves, so that has been the big topic of the day...have the installers do it and pay them, or have hubby and some help do it. Before I sign the contract to buy the stuff I will need to decide if we can do the moving ourselves. It might be worth the cost to not have to worry about it. Anyway...before any of that can be done, I need to get going on packing the small stuff.

So, here is wishing you continued success in getting your gardening chores done speedie.
I may come looking for support in a bit in order to help see me through the major project that is happening here. Have a great rest of the week.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Clean and Clutter-free Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Anyone enjoy TLC's "Clean Sweep"? gardenwife 22 Jun 24, 2008 12:44 AM
Favorite bathroom cleaner? Terry 79 Nov 9, 2013 2:05 AM
Do you do this? Terry 11 Sep 22, 2009 5:16 AM
Dog Slobber levilyla 24 Nov 4, 2012 3:33 PM
Vacuums Yuska 99 Jan 5, 2011 9:36 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America