-
AuthorContent
Bloomfly22
Palmdale, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 13, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #8966031

I pollinated my amaryllis with the thought in mind of getting seeds. The pods are swelling, and in 1 month the will ripen. I am aware of the risks of growing amaryllis seeds. I know that they may not bloom next year, the seeds may not be fertile, the pods may die prematurely, or the bulb will not bloom for a few years. Any help along the way would be great!

Thumbnail by Bloomfly22
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hcmcdole
Powder Springs, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 13, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #8966387

Just sow them and see what you get. Just some good potting soil and making sure they don't dry out too much or stay too wet and you will do fine.

It took mine 4 to 5 years to bloom and they look a lot like the mother plant (go figure). Most of the seedlings died along the way due to negligence on my part but I have one large plant now with several bulbs all started from a little seed.
sanhla
Tucson, AZ

May 1, 2012
8:13 AM

Post #9105426

AFTER HAVESTING SEEDS OFF RIPE POD, DRY THE SEEDS FOR A WEEK IN SUN. FILL ANY CONTAINER, PLASTIC PREVERRED WITH 1 1/2 TO 2 INCHES OF CLEAN WATER. PLACE AS MANY SEEDS AS YOU LIKE IN THE WATER. THEY WILL ALL FLOAT. IN ABOUT 2 TO THREE WEEKS , ROOTS WILL EMERGE AND DANGLE DOWN FROM THE FLOATING SEEDS. USING A TWEEZER SELECT STRONG ROOTED SEEDS AND TRANSPLANT INTO POT WITH FINE SEEDING MEDIA COVERING VERY LIGHTLY. KEEP MEDIA MOIST. PLACE POT IN BRIGHT LIGHT, COVER POT WITH PLASTIC WRAP TO PREVENT DRYING OUT. USE A VERY,WEAK FERTILIZER SOLUTION ONCE A MONTH. ( 1/4 TEASPOON OF BALANCED FERTILIZER TO A GALLON OF WATER). TRANSPLANT INTO INDIVIDUAL POTS OR A COMMUNITY POT WHEN LEAVES ARE ABOUT 4 INCHES LONG. THEREAFTER TRANFER INTO LARGER POTS ONCE A YEAR. YOU SHOULD GET SOME BLOOMS THE THIRD YEAR, BUT DEFINITELY ALL SHOULD BLOOM THE FOURTH YEAR. NOTE: NOT ALL SEEDS ARE VIABLE, SO COUNT ON GETTING 50% AND THEN LOSING SOME IN TRANSPLANTED POTS. YOU GET MORE THAN A HUNDRED SEEDS OFF A RIPE POD, SO START OFF WITH ROUGHLY 50 SEEDS.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America