What Have You Wintersown So Far??

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

Alright show me your lists here is mine,What have U wintersown?
Father Hugo's Rose
Father David's Rose
American Beauty Berry (white berried and purple)
MockOrange
Japanese BeautyBerry
Spirea
Japanese Maple
Golden Rain tree
tatarium maple(flame)
purple rose of sharons and white
beauty bush
salvia turkistanica
basket of gold allysum(one of my fav's,highly recommend it,it's a perrenial allysum and smells wonderful)

(Anita) Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 6a)

I'm ashamed to say that I have not sown anything. We have snow and below zero weather tonight. I plan to pick up some potting soil on my way home and throw out a few jugs. I plan to sow some gallardia red shades, yellow gaillardia, poppy and euphorbia. I have my jugs cut up already. All I have to do is dig out my seeds and add soil and seeds to my jugs.

Athens, PA

you are both way ahead of me...... I thought I would get going on my WS this weekend - I have a number of digitalis and hollyhocks I want to sow. Nicotiana will have to wait until March....

What kind of foxglove? I have Pam's Choice. It didn't get very big this past year but hopefully, it comes back in a next of year.

Have you tried winter sowing any of the annual reseeders...rudbeckia or poppy? I want to try the Peony Poppy this year.

Athens, PA

Anita

I WS poppies in previous years without any problems - have not tried rudbeckias though. Digitalis, I have had limited success with as well. I seem to do better with the digitalis when I direct sow, so I will save some of my digi seeds for direct sowing in the spring. Pam's Choice has been elusive for me......

Athens, PA

oh Anita - I am sorry, you asked what kind of diigtalis -

Camelot Rose
Camelot White
Excelsior White
Excelsior mixed colors
Grandiflora
Pam's Choice
and Apricot Beauty....

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

yes Ive tried poppys and rudbeckia,poppys you have to plant out at first true leaves cause they hate transplanting,rudbeckia is easy.Here's my fox glove last year the 1st wintersown year it was small and didnt bloom the 2nd year big and bloomed alot ,Its a biennial so next year might not come back but I',m sure it reseeded.

Thumbnail by TomVa

You have beautiful, healthy looking foxglove! Mine were not nearly as big the first year. Tom, you probably have a longer growing season??? We can safely plant out June 1st and get the first frost Oct 15th.

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

The one in the pic was in it's 2nd year,the first year it stayed short,matter of fact I had forgotten what it was until it bloomed.This was the 1st time I had ever grown foxglove.Since I started wintersowing it's the 1st time I've grown a lot of things:o) I never was good at growing from seed until wintersowing,It is really an awesome way to start seed and save a lot of money on plants:o)Tom

Columbus, OH

I have seeded:
Calendula Sherbet Fizz
Campanula--blue bells of Scotland
Campanula medium
mixed lettuces
Tuscan kale
Rudbeckia Green Wizard (a total fail last year)
Amberboa (first time with this plant)
Lavatera-variegated
KMOGG-variegated
Larkspur-saved seed, mostly blues
Aster-Spider Chrysanthemum
Nicotiana Fragrant Cloud
Aquilegia flabellata v. pumila
Aquilegia --Fragrant
Silene-Jack Flash
Sedum--three or four varieties

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

Celene that's a nice list, from your list I've wintersown Kmogg varigated and the nicotina with success .The varigated kmogg reseeds now for me

Thumbnail by TomVa
Columbus, OH

The KMOGG reseeds for me as well, I just collected some seed because people wanted plants, and while I end up digging out a few misplaced seedlings, I wanted to have enough for everyone who wants it. It's a nice plant :)

I am going to try some cosmos and zinnias again this year, the ones I wintersowed barely germinated last year. I collected these seeds, so if they don't germinate, I only wasted some time. The ones I did not wintersow germinated well.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I have wintersown columbines, coneflowers, foxgloves, hollyhocks and blanketflowers. I have just prepped a bunch of annuals but not sure when to put them outside. I have the baggies inside a plastic pin with the seed packages unopened so all I have to do is water and dump seeds in the bags and then put outside.

Columbus, OH

I am sowing annuals right along with my perennials now. I'll sow a few more when my JL Hudson order arrives...Geum (Prairie Smoke), centaurea, corn cockle, dianthus (these are perennials) and some annual coreopsis.

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

I don't put the tender annuals,like cosmos,zinnias and marrigolds out until much later.I do them when I do my tomatos,in my zone it would be mid March.Rosrarie I have a hard time with columbines,I try them every year and end up with only a couple.Yay I got my japanese maple seeds in from trades yesterday.Tom

Longview, WA(Zone 8b)

Hi all,
Well I am really interested in all of your winter-sown plant list. This next week we, grand-kids and I, will be winter-sowing some veggie seeds.: Carrots, Broccoli, Peas, Spinach, Chard, Turnips, Onions, Leeks for starters.
I am bin into teaching kids to grow food. It's not that I have anything against flowers, I think growing food is a very important skill to acquire.
Keep up the lists, I love seeing what others are growing. Besides, maybe I need to mix food and flowers. One needs their life brightened.

Columbus, OH

Interesting...I may try a few zinnias, marigolds and cosmos "spring-sowed" in April and see how they compare.

Athens, PA

Tom

I have found that columbine seeds are best just scattered outside on the ground. I have had better luck this way than any other way with columbine seeds.

Columbus, OH

I use GA-3 with aquilegia seeds and they germinate well.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I was planing to start late Febr. so by the time St. Patrick day comes the flowers will be ready for the garden. Is that good idea or shoul I start sooner. Thanks . Etelka

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Most of the columbines that I wintersown and had luck with were from swaps. The seeds I bought from Summerhill didn't sprout at all. I wintersown about four or five varieties. These seeds I bought from TM and Swallowtail Garden. It's one of my favorites I also had great luck with lupines but they do not bloom until the second year for me.

I'm in zone 5. Is March too early to wintersow the annuals? Should I wait until April?

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

Lonejack I grow a vegetable garden with my grandson,I'm really into teaching him all about gardening.Kiseta some seed need stratification to break their dormancy and some can take up to 3months of freezing and thawing and refreezing and thawing to get them to germinate.Some ppl trick them and put them in the refridgerator but then you would have to nick the seed if it is a requirement.But putting them outside you wont have to do that,mother nature takes care of it.So it all depends on your zone and the seed you are wintersowing and it's requirements.My rule of thumb is Hardy perrenials out in Jan,.Tender perrenials and hardy annuals out in Feb.annuals out in March .tender annuals out in april

Thumbnail by TomVa
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I haven't started either... I just dont have the time. but I do think most of what i'm doing are annuals, so i wont do them until mid-March.

Athens, PA

Yesterday, I sowed:

Anchusa Blue Angel
Creeping Bellflower
Digitalis Camelot Rose
Garlic Chives
Helenium Mardi Gras
Hollyhock Peach/Raspberry
Hollyhock Single Red
Hollyhock The Watchman
Primula Beesiana
Salvia Azurea
Tricyrtis Puberula
Verbascum Nigra
Verbascum Phoenicnm
Actaea Matsumarae 'Elstead' (cohash)
Snapdragon Major White (3ft)
Pulsatilla

I have more to do. I will wait on my annuals until Mid to late March.

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

Carolyn now that's a nice list and thankyou for the tip on the columbine

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I work in a kitchen, we use a lots of dressing and mayo jars that have large opening, can I use it like this or should I leave the lid on and cut out small oppening, like 2" large.

Thumbnail by kiseta
Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I'm so behind on winter sowing compared to last year. I have the saved cut jugs, and the soil. I just haven't started yet. I also collected and labelled seeds from my garden last summer and fall so I'm not going to purchase as many seeds as I did last year. Yesterday I did buy some annual seeds:

Four O' Clocks Kaleidoscope Mix
Amaranthus Summer Poinsettia Mix
Zinnia Violet Queen and Enchantress
Sweet William Double Dwarf, Mixed Colors
Stock Giant Imperial, Mixed Colors

I already have in the freezer poppy seeds for Meconopsis Lingholm, Violet Feathers, Black Cloud, Mixed Peony Poppies, Fire and Snow, Antique Rose, Swansdown, Red/White Striped Peony poppies, White Cloud, Flemish Antique, Pink Skyline, and Salmon Pink Venus Poppies.

I'm focusing on adding more fragrant plants this year, and I'll also do bell peppers, tomatoes, and basil again from seed. Last year was my first winter sowing, and I'm sold on this method. I was thrilled at the success rate of germination of my seeds. Furher, I did winter sow columbine Mint Sorbet, and it germinated fine, just hasn't bloomed yet. I'm looking forward to seeing it bloom this year.

Finally, I'm going to say that I liked the milk jugs for sowing the best. The flats and other containers that I used dried out much too quickly, and needed more attention than the milk jugs. Annette

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

Kiseta,I would leave the lid off but I would put a piece of plastic over it and rubberband it then cut a few slits in it to let in water and snow and heat out ,I think without the lid the hole would probly be too big and let too much heat out or too much heavy downpours in....Annette don't you just love wintersowing tomatos,I love to try all the different tomatos and they grow so much better when they are wintersown.I use 2ltre soda bottles,they are my favorite.Do you use a paint pen for labeling?.I opened a new group on Facebook called Seed Traders if anyone is on facebook and likes to trade come join it's new and a good way to get some seeds cheaply..

Athens, PA

2 litre soda bottles are my favorite as well. I cut the top off the then use zip lock bags over them. I do this with milk jugs as well....

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Thank you, TomVa, for your advice, I also have some large oil bottles, but they have regular size caps, and will use some of the milk jugs. It my look like a red-neck garden in the front , my dog would play with the bottle if I hid the jars in the back yard. I kept some boxes too, I am set. For the soil, should I use peat moss, I have a large bag of it, mix some vermicculite in too?? Thanks again, Etelka

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

Etelka,we call it a pot ghetto but I like red-neck garden better lol.I use miracle grow all purpose potting mix for the last couple of years and it has worked well.Your mix sounds fine to me
Carolyn on the 2ltre soda bottles i cut them in half and then cut a lil v on both sides of the bottom half then I can slide the top half back on looks like a shrunken 2 ltr soda bottle then:o) then during spring I just raise the top up a lil then it has ventilation windows on the side to let more heat out:o)
http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/103053019817358/ this is the seed trading site on facebook..Tom

Duluth, GA(Zone 7b)

I had never grown tomatoes from seed till last year, and yes the plants were very healthy, we were picking the fruit well into the fall.
I do like the paint pens for labelling, I get them from Michael's here. I label the jug/container on the outside, and I use a clear plastic knife to have a label inside the jug for when I plant them out. I've read on some of the other forums here that some folks like to cut up mini blinds and use them for labels, but I haven't done that yet. Annette

Columbus, OH

I use strips of miniblind for plant labels, and the industrial sharpie pen to write on them. Works like a charm.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I never had luck wintersowing tomatoes. I read somewhere to use red containers for the tomatoes - still no luck. I'm going to try starting them inside this year and try a few in March too. Maybe I planted them too early for my zone.

I have an enclosed front porch that does not get any heat but gets a lot of sun. Last year I prepared wintersowing containers with peppers and they did very well but I did have to acclimate them to the outside. I'm thinking of trying the tomatoes that way too. For water, I was misting them when the soil looked dry. Some of my containers had plastic wrap and they seemed to generate their own water versus the coke bottles I used and had to mist.

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

I do my tomatos in styrofoam cups then you could cover the cups,you know put as many will fit into a gl plastic bag,I put mine in a turned over on its side,plastic shelving unit then cover the whole thing in plastic,I put them out March 1st in my zone then mid april put them in the garden.The row on the right in this pic is all wintersown Tomatos except for some sunflowers..I put 50 plants in.They all grew very nice and healthy.Tom

Thumbnail by TomVa

Roseaire, I'm surprised you had no luck wintersowing. We are in the same zone. I had betteruck with wsing than any other.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7b)

Cem9165, when do you start your tomatoes? I've started them in my basement under lights in previous years and it's not a good setup. I had such good success WS marigolds and perennials last year I want to try that method with tomatoes.

Columbus, OH

The tomatoes that I ws'd didn't produce till August. The ones I started indoors produced a full month earlier...what am I doing wrong?

Central, VA(Zone 7a)

were they the same type of toms Celene,in both setups??I got ws tom's around the beginning of July,the early ones I grew like Paul Robeson.now some of the ones with longer daysto maturity. I got in August,but it is so much easier to just put em outside and forget about them till planting time.the only reason I dont use the bottles for them is because by March we can get warm days and I dont want to uncover each one individually and then cover them for the nite,much easier for me to just uncover and cover them all at once..This is the shelving unit on its side with all the Toms and Peppers inside

Thumbnail by TomVa
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I did 4 Penstemons today.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.