Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Orchid Cactus: Is this an Epi?

Communities > Forums > Orchid Cactus
bookmark
Forum: Orchid CactusReplies: 17, Views: 217
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #8966588

This plant was given to me several years ago and was a little stunted for awhile then it started growing. It is shaped like the other Epis that were given to me, so I don't know where to post it to get an answer. Any help anyone? Thank you. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling
Click the image for an enlarged view.

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #8966590

A little closer view.

Thumbnail by xuling

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #8966592

and the final pic. Xuling

Thumbnail by xuling

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #8966620

xuling--

I am NOT an Epi expert--but I have had 2 of them for years,,,I know there are many varieties...

On my Epis--there are NOT thorns at each bump on the "leaves"...
What you may have is a form of Rhipsalis cactus...just guessing...Hope someone else will chime in...

Her is my Epi...

Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 13, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #8966660

Thanks for the response. Wuill see what others have to say. Perhaps I will post it on the Cactus Succulent forum?
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #8966663

Gita, that is a beautiful healthy epi! Do you know it's name. I am new to Epi's(just have a few cuttings started) and have started a list of ones that I really like...it's a long list...lol Yours is beautiful!
Dee

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 13, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #8966721

Dee--

i do not know he name of my Epi.
I got it from kachinagirl in CA in 2006--as single leaf cuttings.

I got two from her. The other one bloomed a few years ago..but NOT since.
I really think it has to do with how they are potted--and how root-bound they get.

It seems to be fairly random. I DO NOT follow any prescribed plant care--I just do what
seems right to do. Lets face it. Epis are NOT so common on the East Coast...
I only have them because of trades on DG. Now I am on my own taking care of them.

Thanks to DG--I have learned many good things about many plants and their needs...

Mostly--my philosophy of taking care of plants is to let them be. Water when needed...feed whenever I think of it--
re-pot when they seem to be dying off...etc...

Sticking to the basics of plant care and NOT fussing too much over them, seems to work for me...

Gita
DeeS
Ladoga, IN
(Zone 6a)

January 13, 2012
7:36 PM

Post #8966773

Yes, I agree, it's working for ya! Thanks, for the info.
Dee
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 14, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #8967841

Well in comparing picutures it is not a Rhipsalis. Any other guesses as to the name of the plant? Thanks, Xuling
krowten
Greensburg, PA

January 15, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #8968455

Take a look at Pfeiffera or Lepismium specimens on http://www.rhipsalis.com. Also check out Disocactus on http://www.cactiguide.com. These can all be hard to tell apart and ID. They are all relatives of Rhipsalis. My best guess would be that it is a Disocactus, but the last pic shown resembles Pfeiffera monacanthum, which has been relatively common in big box stores here for the past two years. I have problems finding much information about the Disocactus varieties and no direct experience with them. P. monacantha does have (mostly) soft spines like we see in your picture.
ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 15, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #8968563

Xuling, it looks to me like it could be selenecereus grandiflorus. I have several, but they haven't bloomed yet, so I looked for some pictures online for you. Mine do have unmerciful thorns. Here are some links too.

http://chalk.richmond.edu/flora-kaxil-kiuic/s/selenicereus_grandiflorus_ssp_donkelaarii.html

http://www.wilkinsonsworld.com/tag/selenicereus-grandiflorus/

Ps. I too am not an expert. I could be wrong.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2012 12:49 PM

Thumbnail by ibartoo

xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #8969053

Thanks for the info and photos but I don't think that they look alike. Maybe distant cousins? Xuling
orchidman1
Deep Run, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #8979673

ibartoo- I would love to get a couple of cuttings from your pictured plant. Could we trade? You can see my list of possible trades under Wren's topic line headed "Time for new updated list of what we have." I have many Oxy's but none that look like your grandiflouris. bob

Thumbnail by orchidman1

ibartoo
Pawleys Island, SC

January 24, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #8980364

Hi Bob, I would be happy to trade. I have plenty of cuttings for this one rooting now. Send me a dmail with your address and I will check your list. Thanks, Ibartoo
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #8992094

xuling... This is my guess, and it looks very very similar to a 'Aporophyllum'. Aporophyllums grow the same way as an Epi plant does.

That is just my guess since your photos look very similar to a Aporophyllum

Barry
xuling
Windsor, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 2, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #8992596

Hola Barry, while putting pics into their appropriate files the other day I opened a file named "Aporophyllum" and I'll be darned because in it were pictures of this plant. I do not know where I got the ID; but corrext or not I am putting a name tag in the pot so at least I willl know where to put future pics. So until further notice an "Aporophyllum" it is. Great minds work along the same lines, or something like that :) Xuling
Barrysewall
Larsen, WI
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #8993568

Glad I could help out xuling...
av_ocd_girl
Ellerbe, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 27, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #9022443

Definitely looks like a Aporophyllum to me. I have a dozen or so different ones and they all have thorns ... some a lot more than others.

Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl   Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl   Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl   Thumbnail by av_ocd_girl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Orchid Cactus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
what is a epis? binky1972 16 Aug 19, 2008 10:55 PM
Epiphyllum seed help Kachinagirl 4 Oct 1, 2008 6:42 PM
Epiphyllum blooming MaryE 87 Aug 1, 2007 8:22 AM
The Epis Are Coming, The Epis Are Coming!! 2005 Happenstance 182 Feb 7, 2008 2:40 AM
The Epis Are Here, The Epis Are Here!! 2005 Happenstance 155 Feb 7, 2008 2:42 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America