Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Saving Seeds: Vegetable seed from produce - Ancient Sweet peppers?

Communities > Forums > Saving Seeds
bookmark
Forum: Saving SeedsReplies: 12, Views: 156
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 13, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #8966778

Stupid question of the night, don't laugh at me (too much). ;)

Have never grown veggies from seed. Usually purchase plants & do container gardening in my SW facing FL (9A) screen house. Purchased these amazing sweet red peppers from Sam's Club a few days ago and wondered if I could try to dry the seeds & plant them?

Don't see any sources for seed for this strain and wonder if anyone has any tips on how long to dry & start seedlings?

Thanks in advance!
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #8968876

denisemb,
Lots of store peppers are hybrids so the seeds may not come true. However, if you can describe the type you purchased I might be able to help better.

I grew out some seeds of colorful small sweet peppers from Sam's or Trader Joe's or someplace nearly 8 or ten years ago and they came out true to the parent. These were multi-colored peppers in a pint container. Does that sound like what you have by any chance? Or are you working with a large bell pepper?

Shoe
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #8968969

Here's a link to Sunset Produce that distribute the peppers - the photo is misleading in that these peppers are a good 8-9" long (not including stem).

http://www.sunsetproduce.com/product/peppers/ancient-sweets

In any event, guess I'll give it a try - the worst that can happen is I get something else (or nothing at all). I was just wondering how long to dry the seed & if there is any certain procedure I should follow...?
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #8969018

Okay, those look worthy of seed saving to me, denise...

If they are red or orange they are in their mature stage. Any green ones (if those were included) are most likely not mature so just eat 'em up.

You can just scrape out the seeds by cutting the peppers open, if you like. If you want you can cut the flesh away from the seed area (seeds will be near the top of the pepper and attached to the stem end). Cut the stem off and put the seeds into a blender and cover with water, blend for a few seconds or so. This will separate the seeds from the flesh. Add some more water and whirl again. I'd pour it all into a mason jar or the like at this point. All the good seeds should sink and you can pour off the flesh/non-viable seeds, etc. Add more water, stir again, letting the seeds settle to the bottom then pour off the trash again. At this point you can pour the seeds out into a strainer the upturn it and tap it onto a waxed paper plate or wax paper. Those are the seeds you'll be working with. Let them dry out of the sun and you're good to go.

Hope to hear back about your adventure.

Shoe

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2012
11:33 PM

Post #8969410

Those look a lot like some long, red sweet peppers I saw in "some" seed catalog recently.

If I find the catalog, I'll mention it to you.

I've been saving seeds from dried hot peppers from fruit stands and specialty vendors. I also suspect they are probably hybrids.

- small bright red (I guess Thai or Japanese - very hot, typical pizza-peppers)
- big dark red 'California' (Anaheim, probably - totally mild, almost sweet) and
- big dark red 'New Mexico' (mild with hint of heat).

I know the first two were not over-dried with heat, becuase I got them loosely packed at a fruit stand, not-quite-totally dry.

Corey

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2012
2:15 PM

Post #8970276

The pepper I was thinking of was in Parks as "Atris Hybrid", 65 days, sweet, horn-shaped, 9" long, thick walls, Royal Horticulture Society's Award of Garden Merit. It may not be the same as your "Ancient Sweets" (TM).

Here is what I found onlune:

- - - - -
15 seeds for sale from Amazon vendor "Seeds and Things":
http://www.amazon.com/Mysteriously-Peppers-Ancient-Sweets-Seeds/dp/B004F3F5WG

There were only two customer reviews, both very negative.

There was no comment about hybrid vs OP strain, and no cultivar name, just the name "Ancient Sweets" with no (TM).

It seems to me that they should be marketed under the variety name, not a marketing trademark, if it's a reputable offer. Even the fact that "Seeds and Things" advertised using the name "Ancient Sweets" without the "TM" is suspect.

- - - -
press release:
http://www.wineloverspage.com/forum/village/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=16176

- - -
http://cc-calendula.blogspot.com/2007/01/seeds-from-store-bought-peppers.html

Anonymous said...
I planted some seeds from a red pepper called "ancient sweets", bought in a discount store. I had 5 plants. One is in a pot in my greenhouse, and ripening nicely. The peppers look like a 6 to 7 inch long hot pepper, but are very sweet!

denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #8970349

Thanks, Shoe & Rick...yeah, the picture on Amazon is accurate. I think I'll still give it a shot as an experiment.

As a beginner, if I get ANYTHING to grow, I'll be happy, LOL

Thanks again.
Horseshoe
Efland, NC
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #8970417

Hmmm...
Those Amazon pics look more like Giant Aconcagua peppers to me. Were the ones you bought that big, denise?

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Click the image for an enlarged view.

denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 16, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #8970518

Yup, eyeballed them at 8-9" and now took out a measuring tape. 9" from crown to tip, not taking into consideration they're curved, so that'd add a bit. We've been eating them like candy (which is good, because Sam's Club packages are huge).

OT - interesting to find plants are designated F1, F2, etc via the Amazon posts. As we used to own an F3 bengal cat (RIP Rocko), I have an understanding of the lineage to "ancestor" plant.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #8970530

>> As a beginner, if I get ANYTHING to grow, I'll be happy, LOL

I agree! That is my garden "plan" and goal: see what I can get to grow!

Yeah, yeah, yeah, maybe some day I'll play exterior decorator. When I have nothing better to do.

Corey
samthehavanese
Mohrsville, PA
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #8989891

I've grown the little sweet peppers from Sam's many times. Just dried the seeds for a couple days on a paper towel then stored them in a plastic bag until planting them.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 31, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #8990148

Hmm! Collecting seed from
plants grown from seeds collected from
plants grown from seeds collected from
plants grown from seeds collected from ...
??

Great!
denisemb
Ocala, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9171875

Update: planted 4 seeds, all sprouted. Since I do container gardening, I kept one plant for fun - look what I discovered today! I feel like a proud grandma! Thanks for your advice and encouragement.

Thumbnail by denisemb
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Saving Seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Beans Crossing ragamuffin 2 Dec 25, 2007 7:28 AM
Angelonia tiG 12 Nov 11, 2007 1:19 PM
'homemade' dessicant? patfrompa 4 Dec 16, 2010 7:09 PM
cant find cats whiskers seed berrygirl 16 Jan 7, 2008 4:34 PM
Mountain laurel seeds txjaks 3 Jul 8, 2008 5:36 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America