Sunrise and Sunset Number 9, Number 9....

Prairieville, LA(Zone 9a)

As suggested, a new thread. We were here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1213131/

This message was edited Jan 14, 2012 10:09 AM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Holidays, puppy and other things have kept me on my toes but I finally had time to scroll thru the last thread. My, Oh My, i've missed some beautiful sunsets, sunrises and night moons!!
Today was DGD 3rd Birthday and coming home from her party the sun was just setting, very pretty but doesn't give you an idea of exactly how cold. We are at 3 degree's, will drop to -3 later on and with the windchill it will be 20 BELOW ZERO. Goose down quilt tonight!!! ^_^

Thumbnail by pixie62560

That is quite a lovely shot, Pixie. Nice to see you back. Stay warm and be safe.

This is one of the few sunrises I managed to catch.

This message was edited Jan 15, 2012 9:26 AM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Beautiful!

I am a sucker for red/orange skies and moons...grin. Thanks

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Adina, Bravo! on the article you wrote on the sorcova. Well done! I love reading your articles on the traditions of you country, and then I tell one of my managers from work, who is Romanian, what I have learned about her culture.

Moon, I have to agree with that woman who made the comment "it's not the heat, it's the humidity that makes it so bad." I lived in Mesa, AZ for 4 years, and temps are 100+ all summer, usually around 110 during the hottest part of the day. While you don't want to spend a lot of time in the sun at those temps, it's certainly a lot more bearable than 90 with high humidity. I find the summertime humidity unbearable here in MA. It did get humid in AZ during the summer when the monsoons came through, and then it was horrid. Anyhow, if I had a choice between living in AZ and living in Florida, I would pick AZ anytime, though FL is really nice in winter, I have to admit. I just could not take all that stinkin' humidity of the FL summers.

Love your moon shot, Moon! Nice shot of the helicopters, too. And you have a lot of nice sunset shots.

Ruth, I'm definitely looking forward to spring. Already making a wish list of daylilies I'd like to order, and I want to peruse my seed catalogs soon. We have had an unusually mild winter, which is just fine with me, as I've been able to get out and walk more than I normally would this time of the year, but this weekend was really cold. Was into the teens, maybe single digits last night, and it's only 26 out there now. Brrrrr!!!!! Too cold for me. Celeste, I don't envy your cold temps. Really nice sunset shot, btw.

Lily, your last sunset shot was nice, too. I'm loving my new Samsung Galaxy S 2's camera. It has 8 mega pixels.

Karen

Thanks Karen. For me it seems which you prefer...to be baked or boiled...GRIN either way, hot is hot. Dry heat sucks the life out of ya...wet heat seems to drown ya. My ideal place would be 85 for the highest high and 60 for the lowest low....picky aren't I? grin

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

I think that would be ideal for most people, though I don't mind it going down in the 40s or getting up in the 90s, as long as it's dry (but perhaps a little humidity in the lower temps). I would like a place that didn't go below the 40s or uppper 30s in the winter at night (warmer in the daytime, of course), and stayed in the 70's or low 80's most of the summer, with no humidity, and never getting above the mid 90's. Yeah, I'm picky, too.

Karen

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

At this point i'd just like warm. (GRIN)

Poor Pixie...are yer tootsies cold? It was cool here last night, but is 70 outside today and really cloudy and windy.

I do not like the cold at all Karen...makes old joints ache...I swear I am part lizard. grin

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Yes, I had to go out today, it was 19 when I left, 24 when I got home... not bad. I layered up big time to go out, then built a fire in the fireplace when I got home. The cold bothers my joints to, but the this fire is heaven!

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Stay warm, Pixie and be safe.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Thank you Moon, for the new thread. Welcome back to both pixie and Karen. I can relate with being affected by hot and or cold weather and the humidity. Thus far, winter has been exceptionally mild, so I ain't complaining. Here comes sunset in my neck of the woods this evening.

Thumbnail by Lily_love
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Nice Celeste and Lily. Celeste, your pic makes me feel cold. Brrrr!!!!

Karen

I do take hints rather well, Kim LOL My pleasure. Seems our southern sunsets are getting that same ochre-y orange tinge to them....must be the humidity...been at 80% or better lately with morning fogs.

Moon

Clouds were moving in this morning. It has been spit and missing all day but supposed to be thunder storms tonight,

This was red sky at morning...sailors take warning.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

And just a short time later...

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

And last night's sunset of sorts

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Very pretty Moon. I love the look of the clouds in that last one.

Karen

Thanks Karen. Clouds fascinate me....simple minds, simple pleasures....grin

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Nice! I like clouds too. :)

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

So moon, was there thunderstorm as predicted? I unplugged the pc last evening because it was very warm and the cold front is moving in last night. Recipe for bad weather. About red sky and sailors ... do tell what's in store? ;-) Jan. has been unusually warm. I am just hoping we won't get snow in April like we did in recent years, for when April come around I'd would be ready to garden in full speed. lol.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Cloud reflection on calm water. Pic. was taken day before yesterday.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

We had spit spot rain during the day and about 7PM we had a squall line come through...only lasted maybe half an hour...but the temps dropped considerably...abot 10 degrees over that half hour. Was in mid 70's yesterday...today's high may hit mid 50's.

Here is a bit of info on Sailor lore..

http://www.theweatherprediction.com/habyhints/139/

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Great pics guy!
Pixie, stay warm and take care!
Karen, thanks! I'm glad you are enjoying my articles and can comment with your Romanian co-worker. Please tell her I said Hi!
Kim, what a beautiful reflection!
Yesterday it was a nice sunset below the dark clouds.

Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

I could see it from inside through the curtains.

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Winter Springs, FL(Zone 9b)

Wow did I ever have a lot to catch up on...so many beautiful photos...I haven't been taking many photos of the sunrise or set, so quite enjoyed all of the photos. Love the one through the curtains, Adina.

Clouds and water...what could be lovelier, Kim?

Adina...that is a vibrant sunset. So many winter days the sun just slips away...not so on that day. Grin

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Lovely sunrises and sunsets. I did take a sunrise a few days ago, but not sure i can send it as computer not working right. It has been very cold for three days and nights until this morning when it finally got up to 20 degrees. Three days and nights before never got up to 4 degrees, day or night. we did get a little over 6 inches of snow so there is some snow temp. protection.

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Adina ~ love the curtain one!

No sunrise on Thursday, just snow.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Next morning made up for it though.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Blue sky, glorious sunshine and .....

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

fresh snow.

Thumbnail by pixie62560
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Pixie, what kind of puppy do you have and how old. I got a new puppy in Nov. She is 6 months old now and is a Toy Box Aussie, that is a miniature Austrailian Sheppard. She weighs about 6 lb. now and I don't think she will get more than 8 or so lb. Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Hi Donna, what a cutie she is!! I think my rabbit weighs more than she does!!! LOL
This is Patches, she's almost 3 years old. She was born in a litter of 8 and we watched Mother Nature eliminate all of her brother's and sister's. She was only 3 months old when a dog chased her into a PVC pipe in 80 degree weather along with 3 of her siblings. DH & I had been hand feeding the last 4 as they sought protection under our porch. When we saw what was happening DH & I ran out to rescue them. I chased the dog off and DH pulled the rabbits out of the pipe one by one. Each one was limp and wet from sweating in that pipe. They had suffocated, all but this one. She was alive but had a injured leg....which meant she was now a sitting lunch for fox, owl, eagle, or any of the many predators we have on the back forty. SOOOOO, we rescued her...she went from a Country Bumpkin to a in-house DIVA!

Thumbnail by pixie62560
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Oh, sorry...to answer your question, Cyrus is part Husky/part wolf mix. He'll be 5 months old next week and already weighs 50lbs. The Vet expects him to be approx. 130 - 140lbs when full grown. He's a Mummy's-Boy...good thing too as I only weigh 111lbs!!

Thumbnail by pixie62560

Donna what a cutie she is. I think my cat's all outweigh her.

Pixie, what a handsome boy Cyrus is....He's gonna be a real big boy too.

No snow here thank goodness...just lots of clouds off on on today...waiting for the rain.

sunrise a couple days ago

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Grand-Falls, NB(Zone 4a)

I didn't realise we had moved on to this thread, you guys have been busy bees. Thanks Moon for the change.
Very nice shots all.
Pixie as much as I don't like the freezing temp, I have to admit, that snow on the trees is wonderful. It also make lovely scenery.

Not exactly a sunset shot, I was taking sunset shot at the time, but it became too dark and it turmed out like this. These are lights from an oncoming car, with the slight movement of the camera. I liked the effect it created.

Thumbnail by burn_2007

How cool Burn...I have a few shots like that and I keep them too. Sometimes I like my "mistakes" as much or better than the intended shot.This one was supposed to be a shot of the moon...I did not mean to catch the oak leaves, or to jostle the camera...but I wound up doing so and got a "moon apple"

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Thanks Moon, you wouldn't believe how well behaved he is. :)

Burn, I think it's pretty the first and second snow fall...after that im good!

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.