-
AuthorContent
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #8967343

I'm currently doing a 21-day cleansing diet (basically a vegetarian diet--no meat, eggs, dairy, refined sugar, processed flour, etc.). And I'm craving cookies! Does anyone have any good, healthy cookie recipes that don't contain all this junk? Or do you know of some good websites that have some of these recipes?

I'm thinking after this 3-week period, I'll want to continue along this path. I've lost 10 lbs in a week, and I'm loving that! And I love not polluting my body with a bunch of needless junk. I do enjoy a good cookie or cake from time to time, so I'd like to find new ways to cook or prepare foods. I'm southern-born, raised on southern-fried cooking...and it shows! Please help me convert an unhealthy lifestyle to one that is kinder to my body.

NancyAnn
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 14, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #8967345

I just stumbled across a very simple (3 ingredient) recipe that contains no refined sugar or flour and thought I'd share it here to give you an idea of what I'm looking for. I haven't made this one yet, but I think I'll add the ginger and other ingredients that one of the readers added. The cookies sound wonderful and healthy:

http://vegetarian.about.com/od/quickeasydesserts/r/datemacaroons.htm

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #8971894

Chocolate Peppermint Swirl Truffles
The great thing about this so called "treat" is that it is mostly coconut butter, so you are getting all the wonderful health benefits (and fat burning) benefits from the coconut, with very little added carbs, and of course, no added sweeteners!

* 1/4 cup coconut butter, melted
* 1/4 teaspoon peppermint oil
* 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
* A pinch or two of salt
* 1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder

1. In a small mixing bowl combine coconut butter, peppermint oil, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir with a spoon until all are combined.

2. Sprinkle the unsweetened cocoa powder on top of the coconut butter mixture and stir gently. You want the cocoa powder to blend, but not completely so it has a "swirl" look to it through the coconut butter.

3. Form coconut butter mixture into 4 equal balls and place on a small dish.

4. Freeze for 10 minutes and enjoy.
Chocolate Almond Coconut Bites

Ingredients for the Almond Butter:
* 12 oz of raw almonds
* 1/2 cup of coconut oil
* 2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
* Two pinches of salt
Process:
1. Process almonds in a food processor until they form a fine a meal.
2. Add a tablespoon of coconut oil at a time, while the almond butter is processing.
3. Continue to process until the almond butter is creamy (this may take a while, and use more or less coconut oil as needed to get it fairly fluid).
4. Add the vanilla extract and salt, and continue to process for about a minute.
5. Pour almond butter into a jar and set aside.

Ingredients for the Chocolate Almond Coconut Bites:
* 3/4 cup of homemade almond butter
* 1/3 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
* 1/2 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
Process:
1. Combine all ingredients in a small mixing bowl.
2. Stir mixture until all ingredients are equally blended together.
3. Form mixture into small balls and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
4. Place in the freezer for 10-15 minutes.
5. Enjoy.

Note: Keep these in the freezer until you eat them.

Cinnamon Coconut Butter Truffles (similar to the choc peppermint swirls above)
Ingredients:
* 1/4 cup coconut butter, melted
* A pinch or two of salt
* 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Process:
1. In a small mixing bowl combine coconut butter, vanilla extract, and salt. Stir with a spoon until all are combined.
2. Sprinkle the ground cinnamon on top of the coconut butter mixture and stir until it is fully combined into the mixture.
3. Place mixture into the fridge for 10-15 minutes to harden the coconut enough to roll into balls.
4. Form coconut butter mixture into 4 equal balls and place on a small dish.
5. Freeze for 10 minutes and enjoy.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 17, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #8971982

Darius, that all sounds wonderful...and easy! Where do you get coconut butter?

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #8971990

Don't know if it is the same, but I use pure EV coconut oil... works for me.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #8973409

Melt together 2 parts dark chocolate to one part natural peanut butter. (There will be some sugar in this, but you can control it by what chocolate and peanut butter you choose.)

Cut bananas in 1/4-inch slices and dunk them in the melted mixture. Roll in crushed nuts or unsweetened coconut and freeze.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #8973417

I do something similar to that, Terry. I make choc. banana-cicles. I leave out the peanut butter and cut the bananas in half. I stick a popsicle stick thru the center of the banana then dip it in choc and roll it in nuts or crushed peppermint sticks or cornflakes or anything else you can dream up. Then freeze. It's a lot like eating ice cream! OMG it's so good!

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #8973420

They are good, but honestly, I can't bite through a frozen banana. That much cold hurts my teeth :-) So I do the thinner slices, which tend to "dethaw" a little faster in the mouth :-)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 19, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #8973904

I saw these Almond Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies elsewhere - no flour, low sugar:

http://www.cleaneatingmag.com/Recipes/Recipe/Almond-Butter-Chocolate-Chip-Cookies.aspx
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2012
11:51 PM

Post #9016710

Maybe you could share your cleanse, would be a great Spring Cleaning for our bodies :O)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9016785

Here's another one: http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2011/08/24/peanut-butter-cookie-dough-cookies/ - I've picked up several of her recipes, even though I'm not doing a cleanse, she has some good recipe ideas.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9016872

The cleanse is really just a detoxing diet. It's almost vegetarian--fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, beans, rice, just about anything you can find in nature. You just stay away from coffee, tea, milk, dairy, sugar, caffiene, meats, etc.

After the cleanse, you can add some things back in IN MODERATION. The cleanse is basically to reset your metabolism and your cravings. So then you are better able to stick to a healthy eating plan.

A high fiber diet is key, and that's mostly what the cleanse is--high fiber foods.

bariolio

bariolio
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 23, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9017829

Darius, your recipes sound yummy! Coconut butter is just coconut ground up until it "butterfies"--like peanut or other nut butters. You can do it in a blender or f.processor. You can buy it from Tropical Traditions--called coconut cream concentrate. Tons of info about coconut on that website and how to make your own coconut milk, among other things.

Nancy Ann, how are you doing with your cleanse/diet changes? It's a big step! I've been low carbing since last July and love it. Haven't lost one single pound but my thyroid is messed up for sure. Good luck!
Janet
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 23, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #9017840

Well I had joned a contest (The biggest Loser) at one of the groups I am currently involved with and have been inspired by the prize (about 30 plants) to get real with my dieting that I have been milling around with.
I've lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks with just the addition of a little fiber mix that I sprinkle on everything that I eat as well as doubling my water intake, and added in a little yog-a-lates...LOL
This past week I have given up peanut butter for 40 days but replaces with half the amount of Almond butter in my diet calendar.
I am hoping that when I reach my 40th Birthday this year I look a1 least 1/2 as good as I did before I had kids. Hopefully better by my doctors internal health standards. My Blood Pressure has already dropped back into the normal zone (don't know if it's the weight coming off or the yog-a-lates but I am keeping it up)
Definately gonna try one of these recipes because cookies are easily portion controlled, just like cupcakes.
The Key is control not deprivation in the long run.
Have a little of what you like, in moderation, and savor the portion you get.
In your stomach and your mind it will satisfy, as long as you slow down to taste it:O)

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9017986

BUFFY690, that's GREAT! Little changes do add up.

I love my pilates and yoga (I do an hour of each every week, plus weight lifting and some cardio.) They're both wonderful for stretching and strengthening your core muscles, which - after you slip past 40 into the "rest" of your life - you'll find you need. Things aren't as limber and flexible as they used to be, but I'm committed to keeping my body as strong and flexible as I can. It helps with every aspect of life, from being able to do physical activities like gardening, to our mental wellness. (There is a lot to be said for flooding our bodies with endorphins on a regular basis, and yoga is particularly good for relaxing and de-stressing.)

Nancy, I'm really tempted to try a 21-day cleanse myself, especially after following this thread :-)
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

February 24, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #9018216

I lost 11 lbs on the cleanse. I'm now adding in some of the foods I like, but I'm more conscious of foods with nutrients vs foods without nutrients. I'm really trying to focus on making almost everything I put in my mouth contain valuable nutrients.

I eat a lot less "junk". Years ago, I was a junkfood junkie. I stopped most of the junkfood several years ago, but I still like chips and dip occasionally, so I have them occasionally but not daily or even weekly anymore. I have cookies very rarely. I need to check out Dr. Oz's site for cookie recipes that are high in fiber.

Fiber is probably our most important food. According to Dr. Oz, fiber actually acts like a sponge and absorbs fat, cholesterol, sugar, etc. So instead of allowing our bodies to absorb all of it, it flushes most of it out before it can be absorbed. People on a high fiber diet are better able to control blood pressure, cholesterol and sugar. So that's my goal--to make my diet mostly fiber. I know I FEEL better when I eat more fiber. I have more energy and just feel light and airy. LOL

The cleanse isn't bad unless you're a picky eater or really addicted to something. Cheese is my weakness so it was hard to give that up. Since I'm diabetic, I have to watch carbs and cheese doesn't have carbs. So that's always been my "free" food.

I did learn to cook a few new foods while on the cleanse--roasted veggies, black bean soup, chili, tagine, etc.

And Buffy is right--moderation is the key. My doc said I could eat anything I want IN MODERATION. I can have chips, ice cream, chocolate brownies, pizza, etc--just not everyday. A few years ago, when I started eating healthier, I allowed myself one day a week to pig out on anything I wanted. Being a junkfood addict, you know what I went for on that one day. Sunday became my Sinful Food Sunday.

After a few weeks, though, I noticed that on Mon. I felt awful, tired, draggy, like I had a hangover. Then I realized that on Sun I was loading up on junk after a week of healthy eating and my body didn't like it. So I changed my Sun. ritual. Instead of eating junk all day, I allowed myself one nice treat out at a favorite restaurant where I'd eat anything I wanted. So I ate just one sinful meal on that day instead of loading up on carbs and sugars all day.

After a while, I didn't really even crave my old favorite restaurants. Within a couple of months, I began eating on Sun about the same things I ate all week. My body began craving raisin bran, apples, salads, and chicken stir fries.

I do know that exercise of some sort goes along with the proper diet. The endorphines from exercise helps stop the cravings. After a 3 mile walk at the lake, I'm not interested in eating. I just don't have a craving. I stopped the walks for about a year and all the cravings came back.

A doctor explained it like this: Our bodies crave endorphines; we need to feel good. Several things make us feel good--exercise and physical activities, socializing, accomplishments, volunteering, being in love, learning something new, eating certain foods, doing drugs, alcohol. They all affect our brains the same way. If you'll pay attention, you'll notice a pattern between your daily lifestyle and your eating habits. Many of us eat when we're bored. The carbs rev us up the same way volunteering at a shelter would. Ice Cream makes us feel better the same way a walk or jog would. So if you want control cravings, it's a lot easier if you find a healthier substitute for food.
BUFFY690
Prosperity, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 24, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9018763

I am trying the top truffle cookie recipe, I for the coconut solids right next to the Lard at Walmart...LOL
TrixieM
Mc Call Creek, MS

June 1, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9148280

I don't know how this recipe fits into a "cleansing" but it is very easy, tasty, and has no flour.

Peanut Butter Cookies

1 cup peanut butter, either creamy or chunky as you prefer
1 cup Splenda
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla

Mix all ingredients together. Place by rounded teaspoon on a cookie sheet. Flatten with a fork.

Bake at 350 degrees until lightly browned.

Delicious and easy!

Enjoy!

Kay
Pennzer
Midland, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 8, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9157478

Kay, I tried your pb cookie recipe--not bad at all. I used Peter Pan reduced fat pb, so I figure each cookie was ~100 calories and ~8 carbs. Thanks for posting.

--pen

Edited to say 100 calories--not 10. I wish.

This message was edited Jun 15, 2012 12:44 AM

maccionoadha

maccionoadha
Halifax, MA
(Zone 6a)

June 14, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9165305

ButterflyChaser wrote:The cleanse is really just a detoxing diet. It's almost vegetarian--fruits, veggies, nuts, grains, beans, rice, just about anything you can find in nature. You just stay away from coffee, tea, milk, dairy, sugar, caffiene, meats, etc.

After the cleanse, you can add some things back in IN MODERATION. The cleanse is basically to reset your metabolism and your cravings. So then you are better able to stick to a healthy eating plan.

A high fiber diet is key, and that's mostly what the cleanse is--high fiber foods.

Do you include raw agave nectar, maple and honey as an item you stay away from on your cleanse? If not a lot of Native American recipes would work well. http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1201327/

Aquène (Peace),
WaûtuckquesSóchepo (SnowRabbit)
(__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Ahque Wunantash: Paskoogan / Pio nabo nequt / Nees muttanonganog kah nequt (Do Not Thou Forget: 9/11/2001)

This message was edited Jun 14, 2012 5:50 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America