Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Feeling low...visit with friends..just what I needed!

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 86, Views: 417
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #8968863

I have been under the weather for so long. Flu and Bronchitis , all the while trying to get to work everyday. I was just so worn out. Got where the only thing I wanted to do was work and get home to feed my 11 chickens and go to bed. Some time as early as 5:30. Got into a rut... didnt want to go anywhere...was finding my bed was my haven!! NOT good! Winter blahs turning into Winter Blues!
So the sun was shining today, Chilly but not cold! I called Friends who raise Chickens...all kinds and varieties. Some for show most pets. They had rescued my cages and Chickens at a show one day last Fall when I was called away for a Family emergency. I was so busy driving back and forth to my Parents home(125 miles away) and the hopital that I just couldnt take care of my 100 or so Chickens. So these friends and others fostered in or adopted my birds. I just now got to where I could go and get the cages.
While I was there I toured their little farm and was amazed at all the varities and coops of Fowl. So much fun!! I was introduced to a most gorgeuos solid white French Maran Roo. Both his parents were French Copper Black Marans. He was considered a "Sport". He was bred to 2 Cuckoo Marans and they produced a pair of beautiful Wheaten Hens. He was bred back again to the Wheatens and they are now producing White as well as other Maran colors. Maybe not Show Quality because of non-pure strains but oh what gorgeous birds.
When I started to leave they offered a dozen and a half assorted eggs for hatching. It made me so happy! I now haveFrench Black Copper Maran, White maran, Cuckoo Maran and Buff Brahma eggies. The photo "bleaches" out how truly dark these eggs are.

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #8968873

I cant get the true darkness of the Maran eggs to show up, the lighter eggs are Buff Brahma. I also added 4 experimental eggies of my own. Moms are Buff Orpingtons dad is a Black Copper Maran.

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #8968887

As I started to leave my friends, they said "Oh no you havent seen the kindergarten yet!" They then took me to their basement which has ben converted into a baby room for Seramas and Silkies. Oh man I was in Heaven for sure. I got to see colors and varieties I had only heard about. As I was about to go my Friend said here I know you love Silkies, and she handed me the sweetest little guy, a blue Silkie. Her Husband said "Oh No No, She cant have only one... it will be lonely!", so she handed me another. Oh Happy Day!!!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #8968954

oh yea!!!! Eufaula. So glad to hear you had a Happy Day to give those Blues a kick in the but. I hate winter when we get those dark gloomy over cast days. Puts me in the dumps too.
Your new babies are beautiful. Hope your hatch goes well. Babies will perk you up and keep you busy

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 15, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #8968970

Oh how sweet...hope all goes well with your babies! I would love to give raising chickens a shot someday!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #8968991

Yep I am perked for a few days! Actually having new babies to tend makes my days happier! Donna Ive got to get my incu going for a few days to calibrate it again but hopefully these little eggberts will be in action real soon!
Hey there Nanny_56 glad to hear from someone new!! Yes you really have to give chickies a try, once you do...Wellll you cant go back to not having them! OH how funny... I live in Putnam County , Georgia!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 16, 2012
4:07 AM

Post #8969508

Eufala, you did the right thing *G*. Way to deal the Blues...Change Winter Blues into Silky Blues...
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 16, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #8969509

Eufaula I am so happy for you!Those silkies are so sweet,I have a few blues born this time to.And your right nothing can perk you up like babies and eggs to hatch.My winters are long and cold here and this year because I could break those two silkie broodies I let them hatch and did some in the incubator also and its something to look forward to and to do to take your mind off the darkness and cold.I also have some orpi. eggs in the incubator and looking forward to more babies.Again so happy for you.Keep us updated on your hatch.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 16, 2012
6:05 AM

Post #8969617

Beautiful eggs, cute blue fuzzies!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
4:32 PM

Post #8970457

Oh that is a coincidence with Putnam County! I have a sister that lives in Alpharetta Georgia.

I hope with our next move maybe we will live somewhere that I can have a few. I want to have some pygmy goats too! Baby chicks are too darn cute!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #8970958

Careful what you wish for, nanny_56. Baby chicks are SO cute, that they tend to become addictive. And then they become chickens, and then there are eggs, and then more chicks, and so on and on...I know.

Your name sounds as if you're ready for the goats now...:)

The Pygmies are very small, and might fit nicely into a closet barn.

just a thought

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 17, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #8970996

Hey Y'all! I set up my incu last night. I need a new thermometer!! Please ...anyone have a sugestion for a source???? I have a Walmart, TS,and one feed store in my area . I dont have time to order over the net.
My incu is just a Little Giant, but it has a turner , fan and light. No Hygrometer. I wouldnt know how to read it anyway. I used it last year without the fan , had pretty good luck , but never enough eggs to really put it to a test. A friend modified it with the fan, said it works great for her, so Im raring to use it and see. Eggers are waiting in a semi-warm draft free place , but neeeeed to get into the incu ...yesterday!! LoL!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #8972477

I got mine at WalMart. It tells temp and humidity, is digital, and was about $8, I think. Seemed accurate when compared with a traditional bulb type thermometer.
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 18, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #8972590

Got mine at wal mart to

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #8972903

Thanks Guys! Walmart didnt have what I needed, or at least I couldnt find it, no one working there seemed to know where to look????? Got a regular indoor out door thermometer from ACE. Eggers in the Incu... all set. 23 (not to count my chicks before they hatch mind You) in all. So by February 7th we should get at least a couple!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #8973236

I was so excited about putting them in the "bator", that I was litterally shaking!!!! Do you find yourself talking to the little eggers as if they were already newborns??

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #8973238

Yaaay!!! Very excited... I found my first true FBCM egg from my own Little "Mary", when I got home. SO it is now also in the incubator. That makes 24 all set!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #8973243

Heres an update on my babies. Not so sure now that they are blue after all. Once I got them into a better light , I think they are just going to be blacks...Haaaahaa...who cares!!! I have babies again and they're Silkies!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 18, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #8973247

I almost caught Mr. P.P. playing nursemaid, but he just didnt want his photo taken today!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 18, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #8973272

I don`t know they look blue to me
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 18, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #8973431

I agree with Green. I don't know much about Silkies, but those look like blue chicks. It will be fun to see what color they are when they molt.
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 18, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #8973598

Hey Eufaula - I put in eggs today too! I put in some Easter eggers (4 now but might sneak another one in tomorrow if one of my 2 lays another) ... they'll be mutts though. They will be either a wyadotte or faverolle mix - should make for an interesting color mix. I hope to have something hatch. This is my first try with my new Christmas gift. I got the basic incubator so I will have to monitor the humidity, temp, and also turn the eggs.

Thumbnail by titaniumRX8

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2012
4:26 AM

Post #8973778

Ooooh Green and Prkpal I hope you are right!!!
TRex ( Haha) Oh I know you are excited about your new incu... wishing you the best of luck!! :-)
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 19, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #8973789

I'm gonna vote with the Blue Crew. For some reason I end up with lots of blue babies, and these look typical :)

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #8974057

Yaaay! Thanks Cat...now I just hope they dont grow up to be the "Blues Brothers"!!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 19, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #8974278

This one looks blue to me but his daddy is a splash blue with black so he may look like his daddy.

Thumbnail by green04735

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 19, 2012
11:22 AM

Post #8974281

Daddy,this is his first child LOL

Thumbnail by green04735

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 19, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #8974331

Oh Oh! this PAPA cant say its not his baby!!!!! just look at those beautiful genes!!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 19, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #8974513

If I had a chick that cute, I wouldn't care what color it ended up!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #8977390

Its been a week and the incu had it first mishap yesterday! I woke up to 75 degree rainy weather ... NOT good! Just two days before it was in the 30s . Yeppers! Tornadoes started popping up all over Georgia! I was very lucky, they just went over me . Bad wind and rain and limbs blown everywhere. Then the electricity went out for almost two hours.
I grabbed my down insulated jacket and covered the Incu. Thank heavens it wasnt any colder than it was, or I just dont think my eggies would have made it at all. My biggest worry is that the pressure drop was so drastic. I hope this wont be another disaster like last year. I honestly believe that embryos cant survive it. Oh well we will see. Im hoping for the best.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 22, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #8977405

Sending good wishes to the little eggies!
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2012
8:37 AM

Post #8977540

Oh Dear... sending best wishes and warm thoughts to the eggies...

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
10:48 AM

Post #8977676

Hope they are okay...my gosh! Always something isn't it...
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2012
1:46 PM

Post #8977863

Sending good vibes your way so we can both show off our babies in a couple weeks!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2012
2:44 PM

Post #8977964

Im singing to them and talking over them , if that does any good at all... I dont know but it helps me! LOL!!(sniff)
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 22, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #8977994

I am sure it helps - they feel loved already!
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #8978083

Sounds like fun. Glad you kicked the blues. Jumping in on this thread, so that I can follow the birth. Those maran eggs look awesome.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

January 23, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #8978900

Eufaula; Barb and I just went back to this thread to check what has been going on, yep we are getting eggsited. I have wanted to have an incubator for some time now but it has always managed to get put on back burner, you know "wait"! Think I will have to move that to the get it done file, huh.
Green that is indeed one handsome roo.
I was just thinking plain ol chickens but now I'm not sure. I might go fancy. I don't need a prolific egg layer as there are just the two of us. Of course I'm sure our girls would want us to share as well but that would be an enticement for them to visit, Right?
Eufaula
Hope the little guys in the bater made it through.
Russ
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #8982787

Green I have a rooster similar to yours. I was thinking about giving him away or selling him. I was going more for the big crest, but now, I am not that crazy about chickens that can't see.

Anyway, here he is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiKL6sYs9CE&feature=related

Woof woof woof. See why that dog irritates me so much? Imagine I thought she was so cute as a puppy and came up to us and barked and wagged her tail. Man. What a mistake. Get the quiet shy dog.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=kMTWkv-tzOk

Edited to add the second video. Woof.

This message was edited Jan 26, 2012 11:58 AM
Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

January 26, 2012
8:24 AM

Post #8982858

Here he is in the house. He jumped up there by himself, so I took his picture. Kind of a funny sometimes what they decide to do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=T0G36rSHARM

Am I the only one that brings chickens in the house? Not that I let them stay too long, but I find it fun to let them come in occassionally, usually when I bathe them or something.

Zoro has been in here two nights, just walking around in the kitchen. lol :D Since I am tearing out the old vinyl in there, there isn't anything he can hurt. So, what's the harm? none
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 26, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #8983199

He does look like mine.Very handsome.I don`t like it when there whole face is covered with feathers,I like the original look not the show quailty stuff.If you look at what silkies were suppose to look like and what they look like now there is quite a difference especially the head.They are more puffy looking like a cotton ball,but to each his own,we all like different things.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #8983680

get a muzzle for the dog lol. Hey he was just looking to see if there was anything good up there

I am with you Green. I don't like the puppy headed silkies either. They just don't see very with all those feathers in their eyes, poor things

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #8998428

BIG NEWS!!!!! Rockin' and Rollin' began at 4:30 , the Peeeeepin' was coming from several eggies!!! By 6:00 we had Ziiiiiiiiiiip! By 6:25 we had the cutest baby Maran!

Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #8998437

Well ...its looks as if he's going to be the only one for tonight! Yep,..I said HE... you should see the comb on his head!!! Hes so funny , he hasnt quit Peeping since he hatched!!!! Oh well back into the incu he goes for now!!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #8998488

yeah!!!! Eufaula you are going to be up all night lol

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #8998499

You know it Girl!!! Ive tried to go to bed now 3 times...everytime I hear this little loudmouth "holler" I come a runnin!!! LOL!!!! No newbies yet...I go to bed now... night night !
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 7, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #8998637

Yippee! New chicks. Hatching is exciting even from a distance!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

February 8, 2012
3:43 AM

Post #8998761

It sure is,hope you have all kinds of babies when you get up

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #8998857

So far only one more, a buffOrpington/BCMaran cross and one Buff Brahma Eggie Pipping. I think my Thermostat is a wee bit off so maybe today is the day!!!! Lordy I hated coming to work today!!!! I could sit and stare at that Incu 24-7!

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #8999348

Oh...he is so cute! I remember in 3rd grade we did chicken eggs. How we would all run in evry morning and check to see if any had hatched...so exciting!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #8999611

Drum roll Please!! Todays little fellas are TAHDAH!!!
1 Buff O / FBCMaran Cross
3 Buff Brahmas , all fluffy and dry and alert!
5 still fluffin' and dryin'
2 FBCMarans still thinking about coming out of their cozy eggies
4 on the half shell still drying out!

Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #8999626

Out of 12 pure strain Maran eggs only one was fertile, and that little booger was the first and strongest to hatch. The rest were lazy and took their time about getting born! Im still waiting to see how many of these still drying in will make it. They all seemed to have a bit of a problem breaking through the inner membrane and were stuck. so I helped by finishing the air sac end of the shell for them, thus the mess you saw in the incu. Only one little baby still had yolk attached and perished, although it was put into the incu at the same time as the rest. All I can figure is that since it was directly in the middle of the incu between the heating coils it just didnt get quite as much heat as the rest.
these photos are of the first hatched . They were ready to go out into the brooder house . Their new home actually sits next to a window so they can peak outside whenver they want.

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 8, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #8999687

Wow, what a good hatch! Congratulations!
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #8999691

We are doing the happy dance together! Mine hatched today!
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #8999952

wow nice hatch Eufaula. Congrats!!!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012
4:47 AM

Post #9000059

Thanks guys im so happy!!!! HEy T-Rx Lets see those babies!!!!
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 9, 2012
5:02 AM

Post #9000071

T-Rx! :-)
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9000132

see here... http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241620/

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9000677

Congratulations!! :)

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9000801

Heres the brood , Out of 23 eggs due to hatch on the 7th I only got these 10. But considering the fact that upon inspection I found that only 1 of 8 Maran ( not 12) eggs was fertile, I guess that was a pretty good hatch. they all look so much alike right now it was hard trying to decide who was who. But as you can see in this photo There is only one that is a pure Maran he has no reddish glints to him at all. He's easy to pick out! If you could hear him it would be even easier! He is so loud. And of course the lightest one,Buff Brahma, is very easy and it seems to always be getting into mischief or stepping onto the others just to make them "Yelp" . Its at the bottom left of the photo as if standing at the Bar waiting to be served!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012
3:22 PM

Post #9000816

heres a close up. Im pretty sure the lighter ones are Buff Brahmas, the dark ones with reddish faces are the Crosses. Oh you can see two of the chicks still need me to clean away the dried "Goo" from their little heads.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2012 6:27 PM

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #9000826

This little one has got me baffled! It has a topknot! None of the breeds that it could be have top-knots!

Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9000843

Before I close for tonight I thought I might show you the parents of the BuffOrp/Maran Crosses! Heres is Papa HitchCock ( French Black Copper Maran) Flopsie and Floozie ( Buff Orpingtons) and in the background hopefully soon Mama Mary (FBCMaran).
The crosses were deliberate. Im trying to produce a Hen that will have darker eggs and be more productive. The Orps lay every day usually and have nice medium brown eggs, while the Maran is very stingy laying but her eggs are Gorgeous Dark Hot Chocolate brown.

Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula   Thumbnail by Eufaula

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 9, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #9001230

Maybe his top knot is temporary - just a bad hair day. Really cute chicks. I hope you get enough hens to test out your theory.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2012
5:37 PM

Post #9002294

Awesome photos and story behind them! Okay, you've inspired me. I'm going to do a hatch now, too. I mail order eggs from Murray McMurray. It's addictive. Thank you, Eufaula!
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

February 10, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9002372

I'm sure I'm missing something here but don't it cost more to order eggs than live chicks???
Or is it the fun of incubating them.
Just curious...If not then maybe I better get some eggs and get started that way.
kosk0025
Salem, OR
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9002391

Yes, WAY more expensive to order the eggs, quite a bit more. But watching the hatch is worth it. It's truly a miracle. I have 3 boys ages 3, 5, 7---so it's fun for them, too. Also, you have to order a minimum of 20 or 25 live chicks I think. And I don't need that many. But you can order eggs in increments of 10, and only around 25-40% of them hatch, so it's more manageable for me. I can also buy chicks at my local feed store---that was my plan---to buy 3 chicks next week. But Eufaula's pics made me want to do the hatch again. Mine will hatch the day my sister and nieces come into town for a visit, so that will be fun for them. I ordered 30 eggs. Way too many. I haven't confessed to my husband yet. He is not going to be all that thrilled with that large quantity. We might end up with 10 or more new chickens. Which we don't need.
randbponder
Hornick, IA
(Zone 4b)

February 11, 2012
4:09 AM

Post #9002534

()_()
(* *) That is kind of what I guessed.
I've thought about making a incubator and getting a doz. eggs from a local source of free run chickens. They charge a quite a bit for eggs to eat but to hatch out would very reasonable. However they are not bantams or anything fancy but they do have a rooster running with them. He is asking $5.00 a doz. I've just been going to Sam's and getting 36 for $3.00 and don't eat any sunny side up. I know they are from caged chickens and all that.
4 of us got together and decided to get some broilers to fatten up for our freezers. Daughters Idea but I like it. We ordered from Welps, they were not as high as Murray. I am still going to get some layers, maybe in March when the local sources start handling them. I may work into incubating some later as I'm sure our great grandkids would get a kick out of it.
But have fun and be well! Make hubby a special supper before you break the news. lol
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9002632

You might try posting a "want" locally. I'd be happy to set someone up with hatching eggs. I could even be specific on what _some_ of them are, but that majority would be some interesting mixes...

Thumbnail by catmad   Thumbnail by catmad   Thumbnail by catmad

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9002635

*G*. Just recalled these were taken an a very wet day,and everyone looks a bit scraggly. They usually look much nicer/better/fluffier...
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 11, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9002637

Ah, the ultimate enabler!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9002657

Yep, if it werent for the fact that I have so many local friends with every imaginable breed, I guess I would be ordering chicks too! I get my eggs free or in trade. Whenver I have a broody Hen I dont have to worry about the incu at all!
Hey Catsy!!! Ummmm got any Dark Brahma eggies you would want to talk about ?? LOL!!! Poor Old Wambli needs a Dark Brahma Family! Right now he still thinks hes a little bitty Silkie!! The photo is him at only a week old. You can see why I named him the name which means "Little Eagle".

This message was edited Feb 11, 2012 10:20 AM

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 11, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9002702

Catmad you have some gorgeous chickens.

nanny_56

nanny_56
Putnam County, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9002918

Oh my...good thing I can't have chickens where I live...I think I would be trying to hatch some babies!
CajuninKy
Biggs, KY
(Zone 6a)

February 11, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9002948

Cat, what are those chickens with the head dresses? Are they all roos?
titaniumRX8
Mint Hill, NC
(Zone 7b)

February 11, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9003034

Cajun - I think those are Polish chickens...not sure how to tell male from female.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9003077

luv the pic in the 5:15 post. See that little chick acting so cool with its elbow propped on the box and leaning against it
porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 11, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9003142

"Barkeep, the usual."
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 11, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9003640

good one PP
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2012
4:22 AM

Post #9003702

Cajun, t-RX (I like that) is on the money. The Roos are the Rock stars, with the spiky hairdos, the hens more sedate with nicely rounded Bonnets. The only ones I'm not really sure about are my Silver laced. That coloring often results in "hen-feathered" breeds, and I'm unsure whether it is like that for these. They were Straight run from a hatchery, and there seem to be 4 hens. We _know_ that doesn't happen*G*. I usually get 4 out of 5 roos...

I can't see the picture before posting, so I'll try to identify next post

Thumbnail by catmad   Thumbnail by catmad

catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9003707

Okay, perfect. The blue on the left is a hen, the black is a roo. The Rail Birds are the silver laced.
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 12, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9003710

Eufala, Wambli is beautiful. My girls would swoon...
We call the hens the eagle chickens, too.
Unfortunately, while I could probably send you eggs from the Dark Brahma hens, they would not have a Dark Brahma Poppa. They would have a Cochin daddy, or, a totally random one. The Cochin is a lemon blue, and the biggest rooster I've ever seen, but I have no idea what the chicks look like.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
6:00 AM

Post #9003765

Oh thats right , I forgot (brainfreeze again) , Hmmmm...Although a HUGE Brahma /Cochin Hen would probably Make Wambli VERY Happy!!!

Well the new chicks are doing really well. They had a rude night though! The cold front moved through yesterday and brought lower 20 temps here , after having such beautiful upper 60 and 70's. Even with two lights in the Chick Brooder their normal 70 degree temp dropped down to a very Chilly 40 degrees. every one was under the boxed in light this morning .

Thumbnail by Eufaula

porkpal
Richmond, TX

February 12, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9003791

That's a clever construction.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9003811

Morning Porkpal, The Box has a 40 watt light bulb in it. It was made by the same person that made my Brooder pen ,1st photo. For the new chicks I take the box out and place it into the large aquarium with screen top , 2nd photo. 3rd is the box light. It works really well.

Light_for_Jesus

(Zone 6b)

February 12, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9004438

Eufaula you have it goin on. So glad to have you back with baby chicks.

Catmad, amazing that you received such beautiful birds from a hatchery.

An arctic blast brought us three inches of snow today, and a cold wind. My new white roo was in the horse lot shed. His situation wasn't the greatest, so I brought him home. Think the others are fine. First thing he did was jump up in my recliner to sit with me. What a sweety. Of course, in the morning he'll be crowing and crowing, and won't be such a sweety then. Think I'll put him in the back room in the closet when I go to bed. :) For tonight though, he can sit with me.

Was reading an article from fb that said, only 14% of our population lives in rural areas now. In 1930 it was 75%, or so this site said. I knew 100 years ago 80% of us lived on farms. Things are certainly changing. Seems to me, if things get rough food wise, people on farms are better off than those in cities. Hopefully, nothing tragic will happen. I for one, do not know how to grow or produce enough food to sustain myself.

My little grandson and I planted some tomato seeds in some pots and put them under a grow light last week. The first one sprouted today. Too bad he isn't here to see it. Can I actually grow a tomato plant? Guess we'll see.
DonnaB
Vancleave, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 12, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9004582

wow love the set up you have in the last set of pics Eufaula. The first pic.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America