Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression: gardening and grief

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & DepressionReplies: 1, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
dordee
Silex, MO

January 16, 2012
4:50 AM

Post #8969542

You are right. For one thing, you are thinking of something else, not your pain or sorrow. Then throw in a few cats who won' leave you alone: I want food, my boxes are soiled, I want in, I want out. They refuse to give you time to focus on yourself. I also lost my father after 3 years of illness and I was his sole caregiver during that time. If it had not been for little breaks in the garden and my cats, I do not think I would have made it. As it is, it was a year before I realized that I was depressed. Then I gave myself a lecture and built a rock wall, fell and broke 2 ribs, got up and planted some more flowers. Of course, It was God who gave me all these distractions to help me through it. Then there were the wild birds and other wildlife around my home. Living in the woods really helped. For sure, wthout Him to lean on when I weakened, it woul have been very hard in deed.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
5:01 AM

Post #8969548

dordee,
My heart goes out to you for all that you have gone through! The garden (nature) really does help those of us that have access. I'm so glad you had your faith and pets to help you through your time of grief, too. Sometimes critters are the only ones to take the time to console us (just the right way), even if it is through distraction.

Thank you so much for reading and posting your story,
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article DEMinPA 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:04 AM
Lovely article ... and so true Cville_Gardener 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:09 AM
Garden spirits gloria125 1 Jan 10, 2012 7:48 AM
Catharsis HelloMissMary 1 Jan 10, 2012 8:08 AM
Very nice, thank you NY2CA 4 Jan 10, 2012 7:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America