Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression: Mother Earth's loving hands

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & DepressionReplies: 3, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
aulani61
Emporia, KS

January 16, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #8969558

Reading through the messages on this thread prompts me to think about the power of Mother Earth's healing hands. Even sharing our own brushes with pain and depression and frustration brings respite as well.

I was grief counseled by an old peach tree when my husband died. Recognizing how severely distraught I was, my neighbor took me by the hand and guided me outdoors. She said, "I brought you this axe. I think it's time to cut down that old peach tree in back." She sat with a cup of coffee and watched over me as I sharpened the axe and then began cutting and cutting and cutting. A chain saw would have worked better, but the hard physical labor is what I really needed. It seemed to calm me with each stroke of that ax.

Please tell me more about those beans of yours. I like Kentucky Wonder too, but would love to know about the trellis and what it is made of and how you did it. Thanks.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #8970098

aulani61,
You were very fortunate to have had a kind and wise neighbor when you needed one the most! That peach tree hung in there until it was really needed, too! It's funny how the simplest of things help us at just the right time.

As for the beans, I have been growing Kentucky Wonders for a couple of years and couldn't find a trellis tall enough to accommodate them (or me at harvest time). I saw someone make an arched trellis from scrap concrete wire and that did the trick. Here's an article I wrote about the process with a diagram and video of the first year's success, and what we developed after: "Use cattle panels to build an arched trellis & hoop house" http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2879/

Thank you for reading and posting your peach tree experience. I'm sure it will help others!
--
Bev
aulani61
Emporia, KS

February 6, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #8996374

Sundownr,
Thanks so much for posting the info on that arched trellis and hoop house. What an amazing setup. We have a farm supply place here and I'll have to look at some cattle panels this spring. I can see where they'd be great for tomatoes, even without hooping them. I've been using concrete reinforcing wire to make large round cages for tomatoes and cucumbers and long beans. They do well on those.

Thanks again and happy gardening this spring.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

February 6, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #8996414

Glad you liked the arched trellis and hoop house. It really is easy to work with the cattle panel and I've seen a lot of people using them with just tent stakes so the arched trellises can be taken down and moved when needed.

Thanks again for reading and good luck with your garden this year!
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article DEMinPA 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:04 AM
Lovely article ... and so true Cville_Gardener 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:09 AM
Garden spirits gloria125 1 Jan 10, 2012 7:48 AM
Catharsis HelloMissMary 1 Jan 10, 2012 8:08 AM
Very nice, thank you NY2CA 4 Jan 10, 2012 7:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America