Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression: Gardening was my comfort

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & DepressionReplies: 1, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kbbade
Poolville, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #8969571

I have gardened all my life. It was something that I enjoyed but I never thought of it as comforting until I lost my father in 2003. When Daddy died I stayed outside and worked for a week. I built a complete new large flower garden and when I finished that I added a new one for my neighbor and friend. My wonderful husband hovered at a distance making sure my body was taken care of by feeding me and putting me to bed. But the fresh air, the feel of the dirt and the hard work tended to my spirit. Later when I tended the new flower gardens I found myself not only surrounded by the the beauty but also the joyfully remembered good and loving thoughts of life with my Daddy.

Thank you. My your article allow others to find a similar comfort.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #8970108

kbbade,
What a beautiful story! You achieved in one paragraph what I hoped to convey with my article. Let's hope others will find comfort in gardening, or recognize the need for nature's healing in someone they know.

Thank you so much for reading and leaving your comments,
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article DEMinPA 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:04 AM
Lovely article ... and so true Cville_Gardener 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:09 AM
Garden spirits gloria125 1 Jan 10, 2012 7:48 AM
Catharsis HelloMissMary 1 Jan 10, 2012 8:08 AM
Very nice, thank you NY2CA 4 Jan 10, 2012 7:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America