Photo by Melody

Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression: This is so true!

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & DepressionReplies: 1, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LeeInIowa
Des Moines, IA

January 16, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #8969588

My mother died when I was 20. By the end of that first terrible year, I had a sunny southfacing bedroom utterly FULL of indoor plants. My father, like yours, was ill then died during a recent winter (two winters ago). The first winter afterward, our family drew together and we had long visits. This second winter, though, I am home alone recovering from foot surgery. But like you, I am finding solace--and death-defiance too--in green and growing things. They're a re-affirmation of life. I've already got early tomatoes going, fig trees (which leafed out in my dark cool basement) are in every sunny window now, and I have strawberry seeds germinating in little plastic bags all over the place.

Gardening is many things, but solace and the reminder of life's continuation are two important ones.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #8970140

LeeInIowa,
My condolences for your loss of both parents. I lost my mother 12 years ago after a long and horrible illness. There was nothing that could console me at that time, but now that I think of it, that may be when I pushed myself to garden more. I would not have made it this time without my trellis of beans. We are trying to have regular family get-togethers for my grand-mother's sake (my dad's 92 yr old mother), but we are growing closer as a family, too. We also discovered that we (my siblings) all like to garden in some small way, or at least can the foods we harvest and forage.

It sounds like you are becoming a prolific gardener, and I'm envious of what you have started for spring in your climate! Take care of yourself and hope the foot heals well.

Thank you for reading and sharing your story,
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article DEMinPA 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:04 AM
Lovely article ... and so true Cville_Gardener 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:09 AM
Garden spirits gloria125 1 Jan 10, 2012 7:48 AM
Catharsis HelloMissMary 1 Jan 10, 2012 8:08 AM
Very nice, thank you NY2CA 4 Jan 10, 2012 7:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America