Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: Amaryllis long lived

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 3, Views: 12
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dot2
Sandstone, MN
(Zone 4b)

January 16, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #8969754

We have an Amaryllis bulb that is more than 20 years old given to us by my husband's mother. It never had a baby until last year. We are hoping this small bulb will survive to bloom. We also have 9 bulbs that have been babies of a bulb we got at the "House on the Rock" in WI. We do what the author did in planting them outside for the summer and taking them in about mid August. I do not bring them up and pot them until after we take down the Christmas tree, about the first week of January and then we enjoy the bright blooms in February when usually it is rather dark outside.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #8969817

Dot, I'm glad your bulb finally gave you a baby, and how neat about that bulb from House on the Rock (what a fascinating place!). It's odd how some of them can't wait to start producing bulb-ettes, while others just go along getting bigger each year but no sign of baby bulbs. How big is your 20 year old bulb?

I'm on about the same schedule in terms of blooms... I got a few new amaryllis to enjoy over the holidays, but the majority of them didn't get potted up until a week ago. I love them whenever they bloom, so some years I don't let them go dormant, just bring them in with green leaves and let them bloom when they will.
Dot2
Sandstone, MN
(Zone 4b)

June 18, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9169790

Fredrick, Sorry, I have not been back at the site with health probs etc. All of the Amaryllis finally bloomed so we had a long season. The 20 year old bulb is about 4 inches in diameter and the little bulb is still small, but we planted all of them outside the first part of this month(June) Hoping the little one will grow well. I think it takes them about 3 years to bloom.
We also had a poinsettia that my husband won and it was still blooming well so he has planted it in the vegetable garden and it is a bright spot of red there. My daughter was in Mexico in Feb and she said the poinsettias there were already fading. Maybe MN is better for poinsettias!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

June 18, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9169912

LOL I stuck my fading poinsettia in a corner with the bananas in January... and it actually looks pretty good at present, so it's stuck into one side of a deck container... maybe I should put it out in the veggie bed! :-)

I've got one final amaryllis blooming this week. They're all planted out into a couple of garden areas for the summer, but as I was pulling this one out of its pot I noticed a bud. !! So I brought it back into the house to enjoy.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America