Photo by Melody

Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression: It's a family thing

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & DepressionReplies: 1, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

January 16, 2012
8:06 AM

Post #8969814

My paternal grandmother knew she had really "arrived" in America when, after many years of hard toil, the farm was doing well enough that she could afford to plant flowers and enjoy them. When her daughter died at age 12, she planted daisies.

My maternal grandmother raised 8 children during the depression and dust bowl days. She managed to sneak a few hardy flowers in with the veggies and I suspect those flowers fed her soul.

Many years later, my brother dealt in part with his PTSD after returning from Vietnam by gardening. He had a beautiful stand of daisies.

Gardening kept my mother going after my brother's suicide. She planted a wildflower patch that included ox eyed daisies. Then she built a pathway through it. Later, when she knew she was drifting into full-blown Alzheimer's disease, she became the world's best weeder of wild medians on her long daily walks. Eventually, she forgot the names of her many friends, relatives, and beautiful plants, but until the last few years, she continued to care for them all with steady hands.

Throughout all of my trials and tribulations, and there have been several, gardening has been my solace and my method of choice for centering myself and climbing out of depression. I don't grow daisies, but I grow everything drought hardy that will grow here. The mere fact that the soil is alive, even beneath the snow, reminds me that where there is life, there is always hope.

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
1:55 PM

Post #8970206

jazzy1okc,
What an amazing family history! Your last statement summed up gardening through our grief so beautifully, ". . . the soil is alive, even beneath the snow, reminds me that where there is life, there is always hope."

Thank you so much for reading and posting your inspiring story,
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article DEMinPA 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:04 AM
Lovely article ... and so true Cville_Gardener 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:09 AM
Garden spirits gloria125 1 Jan 10, 2012 7:48 AM
Catharsis HelloMissMary 1 Jan 10, 2012 8:08 AM
Very nice, thank you NY2CA 4 Jan 10, 2012 7:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America