Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: Thank You!

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 3, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Catrscr
Hanford, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #8969898

Critterologist:

Love the name! Thanks for this article. I am a beginning gardener with years of practicing bad habits and lack of knowledge. I have started some bulbs in my parents' garden and bought a green amaryllis this year that bloomed at Christmas through New Years. I now have it on the front porch which is enclosed in glass and stays sunny and warm in the day. The problem is it has no leaves. Do I continue to water and feed and wait? Please advise. Thanks again for the article.

Thumbnail by Catrscr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #8970082

The leaves will come! Many varieties flower before any leaves appear, and sometimes it takes a while for the leaves to follow the bloom. I'd hold off on the plant food but continue to water sparingly (moisten the potting mix once a week with enough water that some drains out the bottom of the pot, but don't try to saturate it) until you see new growth.

And if you think the temperatures on that enclosed porch might drop below freezing at night, then the plant might be better off in another location.. from your description of the porch, I wasn't sure.

Thanks for reading, and good luck with your amaryllis!
Catrscr
Hanford, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #8979027

Thank you. I'll try this. And the porch does not ever get below freezing.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 23, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #8979369

My fingers are crossed! I'm glad you got a good bloom out of it already at least. :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America