Photo by Melody

Article: Ruminations of a Garden Catalog Junkie: Still great advice!

Communities > Forums > Article: Ruminations of a Garden Catalog Junkie
bookmark
Forum: Article: Ruminations of a Garden Catalog JunkieReplies: 1, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jazzy1okc
Oklahoma City, OK

January 16, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #8969923

I'm glad this article was republished!

People are constantly coming in the nursery where I work part-time with pages printed off of websites, ripped from catalogues or, worse, torn from the pages of home improvement magazines. Some newbee gardeners will willingly spend thousands of dollars buying plants from catalogues or websites only to find that the plants just don't do well here. Because they seldom have any foundation knowledge about soil, light, moisture, zones, or the needs of plants, the plants die. The surprising thing is that these folks are often only a generation or two removed from farmers who understood all of these important factors.

With great joy I try to help those who want to learn. Before I will sell them any plant life, I send them home with a good book or website (like DG!) I ask them to measure their yards, test their soil, talk to gardening neighbors, and draw up a list of plants based on what they are learning. They become better gardeners from one year to the next. They kill fewer and fewer plants every year, spend less and less money replacing plants, and become happy and successful gardeners.

Those who don't want to learn tend to become cynical serial plant murderers. Eventually they give up on doing any garden work themselves and either hire landscapers or move into condos.

LarryR
South Amana, IA
(Zone 5a)

January 16, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #8970756

What lucky customers you have! Bravo for your approach to plant sales!

Larry☼

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Ruminations of a Garden Catalog Junkie Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Good article, good advice Kathleen 9 Jan 20, 2008 9:35 PM
The Problem with Catalogs Noturf 0 Jan 10, 2011 4:52 AM
exceptions treesmoocher 7 Jan 17, 2012 5:23 AM
and another thing jazzy1okc 3 Jan 12, 2011 1:23 PM
Mail order catalog guarantees GREYTHOUNDS 1 Jan 11, 2011 1:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America