Photo by Melody

Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year: I had no idea!!

Communities > Forums > Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year
bookmark
Forum: Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next YearReplies: 1, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
luvinlife
Calgary
Canada

January 16, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #8969951

I have an amaryllis bulb that I've had for several years now. Living in Canada, I never once considered putting it outside. I dutifully bring it out in November, place it in a sunny window, by Christmas time I have some nice long leaves and by the end of January, I give up on a bloom, cut back the leaves and put it back into a dark cupboard for it's 'dormant period'. I had no idea it didn't really need a dormant period and that it could actually be grown all year round. I could (and now will!) put the potted plant outside in the summer. I will re-pot though, cause I'm sure this soil is old and very tired, hence no flower. This article came just in the nick of time for my poor tired amaryllis! You have me enthused to receiving a very thankful bloom from my poor, misunderstood amaryllis! Thanks for re-posting this article!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

January 16, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #8970088

Even if you didn't plant it outside in summer, just letting it keep its green leaves and growing it like a houseplant for several months will give the bulb a chance to be renourished! I think "no flower" isn't just a matter of the soil (although repotting in fresh mix is a good idea); I think you're not giving the leaves a chance to make much food for the plant by letting it grow for only a couple of months each year. If you want to be able to "time" the bloom, you can give it a period of dormancy in fall.

And yes, I think your amaryllis will reward you with a beautiful bloom or two next year!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Amaryllis 101: Caring for Amaryllis Plants and Making Your Amaryllis Bloom Again Next Year Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Interesting artical terriculture 13 Jan 22, 2008 4:54 PM
in ground LouC 11 Jan 12, 2012 1:45 PM
fertilizer happy_macomb 4 Jan 18, 2008 10:35 PM
amaryllis fergie50 1 Feb 12, 2008 3:41 PM
won't bloom outdoors?! sheersheri 5 May 14, 2008 3:53 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America