Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Question about roosters

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 7, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 16, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #8970200

I have three young roosters in with 17 pullets and hens,pullets are6 and 8 months old.They are very firsky and some of the girls stay on the roosts most of the day,and some of the heard feathers are being pulled out and I don`t want there backs bare.So my question is,I have a small coop its about 5x6 could I put the three roosters in there for the nect couple of months,they would be able to go outside in the daytime weather permitting.Right now they get along and they would not be able to see the hens but they will be able to hear them if they make a noise.Whata think.I would put them all back togather the end of March that way the girls would have the whole run to get away form them and they would be spending more time outside and not in the coop.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 16, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #8970357

I would give it a try!
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 16, 2012
3:24 PM

Post #8970368

ok
catmad
Pelzer, SC
(Zone 7b)

January 17, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #8970966

I have some bachelor roosters, they get along just fine. I'd keep an eye on them, but they should adjust well.
Sounds like a plan:)
vnickdd
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 18, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #8973155

You're not leaving some of them outside all night, are you?

You're going to get massive amounts of crowing and it may stress the Roosters that they can't defend the girls at night. My roosters live with my hens year round. The feather 'bald spots' come and go - I think it is partially seasonal, but the ones caused by the roosters are never really that bad.

You may be surprised that when you remove the roosters, the feathers on your hens don't get any better. We figured this out a few years back. We were blaming the roosters but figured out that when the hens were going into their nest boxes, there were little turf wars and that was contributing to the missing feathers way more than the roosters being roosters.

Also, every time I've removed a chicken or rooster from the flock and reintroduced later, I've regreted it. They have incredibly complex social hierarchies and when the removed flock member returns, they have to fight their way back to their pre-removal status. I usually end up breaking up fights for at least a week.

What worked for us is to put up a bunch of obstacles in the run giving the girls places to get away and hide if they're getting too much attention. Worked well. If your hens are smaller than the roosters, you can try putting in some low benches, buckets or something so they can duck inside and the rooster can't get "in position." Also, may want to try some of the "rooster booster" or "no pick" stuff on the bald spots.

green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 18, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #8973271

It will be 25 beow 0 tonight with the wind chill so needles to say they havenot been out at all today.They are doing fine in there new bachelor pad.Had to put a heat lamp in there for them to as its so cold tonight.No feathers missing on the girls just a few on the head of a couple of them.And with the less stress in the hen coop I got 6 eggs today and they were all in the nest boxes and not on the floor and on the poop boards.They are so much happier without the boys.I will put them back in in the spring for the fertile eggs that I will need.
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 18, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #8973436

Group relocations certainly work better than moving individuals. The girls may even be glad to see them in the spring...
green04735
Bridgewater, ME

January 19, 2012
3:14 AM

Post #8973735

How long after I put them back in with girls will the eggs be fertile?

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America