Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Books, Movies, and TV: Anyone Tried Library Books on E-readers?

Communities > Forums > Books, Movies, and TV
bookmark
Forum: Books, Movies, and TVReplies: 12, Views: 96
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

slvrwilo

slvrwilo
Loudonville , OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #8970392

I am debating on whether to get a Kindle Fire or some brand of tablet. I like the idea of a larger screen but it would not be as portable. From what I understand, the Fire will download from a local library but I don't know about any tablets. I certainly do not want to have to buy ebooks. They are more expensive than a paperback. Has anyone had any experience with these electronics?? I need some advice, please.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2012
7:43 PM

Post #8970678

I have an iPad, and have been successful downloading from SEO Library Consortium through my local Ohio library. I did need to download and install Adobe Digital Editions and the files must go through that before being uploaded to my iPad. I don't think that is an issue if you don't use Apple product. I have also gone directly from the iPad to the library site with BlueFire Reader. I have not tried the Amazon Kindle app, although I have it installed. Buying books through iTunes works well also.

However - I don't like reading on the iPad all that much because after a while, it gets heavy to hold! But otherwise, it is easy to use and, for me, it is better than reading an actual book because I can enlarge the type.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
3:30 AM

Post #8970893

I got a kindle for Christmas, and was looking into the library for reading material. How do you 'return' e-books?

Anything that is out of copyright is free to download, there are a lot of classics out there you can get for free.
daylily_ohio
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 17, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #8971207

For me, the library book becomes unavailable to view on the day after the due date. Then, it can be deleted. If you have not read all of it, you have to reserve it again. Most of the new ones at my library need to be put on hold, as there are many people waiting to read them. My library does not allow you to renew ebooks.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #8971373

Thanks, I was wondering how that worked.
NJNana
Middle, TN
(Zone 6b)

January 30, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #8988636

I have a Kindle Keyboard and have no problems with downloading books from our library. They use a program called READS.
gardenwife
Newark, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 11, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9237421

I love the Kindle app! It's great being able to go from phone to tablet and never lose my place.

Did you end up getting a Kindle Fire or another tablet? I'd go for a tablet, myself. The Fire is neat, but it's stripped down with no microphone. I won one last year and played around with it a couple months, but gave it to my mom.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2013
3:33 AM

Post #9617102

I know this is an old thread... wow, nearly a year old!! But, I just wanted to say that I LOVE borrowing books on my kindle!! The books don't necessarily need to be out of copyright to be available for borrowing, I don't think, ya just gotta have a "Prime" membership and the author has to have .. uuhh... authorized it. heh heh. I've borrowed several current books from there, and "purchased" tons of classics for free, too.
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2013
9:10 AM

Post #9617383

I still love my kindle. So much easier than lugging around a big book!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2013
9:20 AM

Post #9617392

... or 700. =)
smileymom343
Kenmore, NY
(Zone 6a)

July 31, 2013
11:15 AM

Post #9617501

I read the Game of Thrones series, at my son's urging. Eh, it took a while to get into, but then I couldn't put it down. I read the 4 books I had on my kindle (friend had a cd...) but then had to get the 5th copy the old fashioned way from the library. They had the book, but the kindle edition was in use, so I took out the book edition.

Lordy, what a change! What weight! How cumbersome!

it was nice to go back to my sleek little kindle for my next read. ^_^

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

July 31, 2013
11:57 AM

Post #9617539

Ya know what I find interesting... STILL, I find myself licking a finger and reaching up to the top right corner to turn a page while reading my Kindle. It just feels so "right" in the hands.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

December 1, 2013
4:25 AM

Post #9719314

The success of an electronic public library depends on where you live. Here in Atlanta it is not very good. In other areas it can be terrific. Libraries have copyright budgets which limits the number of monthly "check outs" they can afford. Here you have to get on a waiting list for practically every book. If your turn comes up and it's not opportune the clock is ticking. Not ideal for sure.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Books, Movies, and TV Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Edgar Rice Burroughs: At the Earth's Core dave 8 Jul 12, 2007 7:54 AM
Harry Potter?? evelyn_inthegar 63 Feb 23, 2008 5:25 AM
Stephen King's Dark Tower gardenwife 40 Dec 20, 2010 9:34 PM
What's The Story With Johnny Appleseed? VGMKY 13 Jul 26, 2008 2:00 AM
Fictionwise FREE ebooks drop 4 May 28, 2007 3:39 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America