Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression: In February 2011

Communities > Forums > Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression
bookmark
Forum: Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & DepressionReplies: 1, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FlaFlower
Miami Dade, FL
(Zone 11)

January 16, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #8970531

When my Mom passed away suddenly without warning in Feb. I did indeed find peace & quite in my garden right along with taking out my frustrations, anger and grief out on the dreaded weeds, my gardens and flower beds were never so clean as they were by March last year...Even my Husband noticed the difference. Funny thing is to this day I now know I was so engulfed in my own world I don't remember doing any of it...I was completely at odds with myself for at least 2 week maybe longer. Thanks for the story and the reminder getting back to basics can indeed be the pill we need

Sundownr

Sundownr
(Bev) Wytheville, VA
(Zone 6a)

January 16, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #8970635

floridaheat,
So sorry to hear of your loss. My husband commented about the amount of energy I unleashed on a little bug munching on a bean (like I didn't have enough beans)! I don't recall being that energetic either. I do know that digging up the yard with my little garden hoe has always been my best medicine when frustrated (and the menfolk hide).

Thank you for reading and sharing your experience, and reminding me of the strength I find in gardening.
--
Bev

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Gardening Through Grief, Stress & Depression Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Great Article DEMinPA 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:04 AM
Lovely article ... and so true Cville_Gardener 1 Jan 10, 2012 5:09 AM
Garden spirits gloria125 1 Jan 10, 2012 7:48 AM
Catharsis HelloMissMary 1 Jan 10, 2012 8:08 AM
Very nice, thank you NY2CA 4 Jan 10, 2012 7:27 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America