Photo by Melody

Article: Camellia sinensis: January is hot tea month!: Tea plants? Coffee to grow?

Communities > Forums > Article: Camellia sinensis: January is hot tea month!
bookmark
Forum: Article: Camellia sinensis: January is hot tea month!Replies: 3, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

January 16, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #8970744

In the Pinebrook Children's Garden, one of the small gardens is named "A Spot of Tea". We have some plants in the ground (Bee Balm or Monarda, the red Jacob Cline variety...loved by the hummingbirds, Lemon Balm - which is quite "vigorous" which is another way to say "invasive", chamomile and a few others). We also have some large decorated tea cup planters with each having another variety of tea - Chocolate Mint, Peppermint, Spearmint, Orange Mint, Pineapple Mint, Fuzzy Apple Mint, etc.

I would like to have some tea plants like we saw growing in the highlands of Kenya, East Africa. Does anyone know a source for that tea - you know, the kind that provides "tiny little tea leaves" - our green or black tea? I'm not even sure of its technical horticultural name! Yes, I would need to take it into the greenhouses for the wintertime, I'm sure. Is that "Camellia sinensis"? (Or am I flat out confused?)

I'd actually like to grow a few coffee plants too. Any coaching?

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 17, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #8971137

Yes, Camellia sinensis is what you're looking for. It's requirements are listed above and in plantfiles, and I don't know of a source. Maybe you could try a greenhouse like Logee's in CT that specializes in tropicals? That's my best idea--wait, you can grow it from seed! I have a DG friend in AL who is hoping to grow one from seed; I'll ask him! No clue on the coffee.
EleanorZRuch
Hatfield, PA

January 28, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #8986124

Thanks, Carrielamont. Last year I tried some unroasted coffee beans...but had no signs of life. I'll be happy to hear of any tips on getting or growing the Camellia sinensis tea or any kind of coffee. (We saw THAT growing and drying in Kenya also.)

carrielamont

carrielamont
Milton, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 29, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #8986645

Since you are a subscriber and have ALL the DG resources before you, I suggest you try posting your question in the http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/tropicals/all/ Tropical Plant Forum,
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/germination/all/ the Seed Germination Forum,
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/tropics/all/ the Tropical Zone Gardening Forum, The Florida, Mid-South, Alabama or Texas Gardening Regional Forums. I personally like to drink both tea and coffee but have never grown either! Sorry. Hope this is a little helpful. Oh! Also try the seed trading forum, just start a thread "I'm looking for viable coffee seeds or tea seeds" AND look up the plants you want in PlantFiles (Camellie sinensis and Coffea arabica, I believe) and see if anyone has them to trade!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Camellia sinensis: January is hot tea month! Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fascinating.. critterologist 20 Jan 16, 2012 1:57 PM
Earl Grey Liquidambar2 18 Jan 24, 2012 2:47 PM
Tea lessons SoooSirius 3 Jan 21, 2013 6:58 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America