Money Matters - Part 10

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Coming from here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1232171/

Money, finance, savings, taxes, etc.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Started my 2011 taxes via TurboTax. Don't have all the 1099's in yet but I will poke away at it bit by bit until I get it all entered.

Wow - this early?!! I have received nothing yet.

I have never been lucky at winning contests, prizes, raffles, etc., but the past few days have been unusually lucky. First, on Saturday, at my son's wrestling tourney, I won the 50-50 raffle - $80. Then, yesterday, I got word I won some photo equipment worth about $150! I should play the lottery. ^_^

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Congrats!!

I never win anything either, as a lifetime rule... but I won $1 on a $1 scratch-off ticket last week (first one I've bought in a year or more; the winning ticket is still in my wallet). Does that count for anything? Actually, I also recently won a 2 DVD set on artisanal butchering, which will come in handy next fall... I hope.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Yay, Victor

I got 2 tax statements so far

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

and needed a van to carry drugs.

I am not going to ask...

Must be the worlds worst drug dealer if you can't buy a new car now ROFL

I would keep my car forever if allowed. DH traded my van in six years ago when the first van was getting near 100K and filthy. We love Hondas now, now have 2 older civics for kid cars. Current 2006 Toyota van had to have a new transmission last year- they accused cheap internal pieces in newer transmissions.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

LOL Sally... I used to delight in saying I ran drugs for a living... without adding that they were Federally registered drugs the Pharmacists had to sign for before my release of them.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I WILL be keeping my car forever

Thumbnail by flowAjen

Showoff!!

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Jen, I had about 45,000 miles on my car when I got it 4 years ago. Has almost 100,000 now. That shows you how much driving I do. Nice car, btw.

Darius, Nissans are well known to last a long time with few problems. Same with Toyotas and Hondas. BTW, the longest I had a car was 8 years, a Ford Focus that I bought 3 or 4 years old with low miles. It had over 200,000 miles on it when I got rid of it. It was needed many more repairs that last few years I had it, but it was all normal wear and tear stuff. I never had any trouble with the engine or tranny.

Yes, throw away mentality pertains to everything now. Very few things are made to last anymore.

Memory, I have also received nothing yet for my taxes, but I want to go with TurboTax this year.

Karen

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

^_^

thanks, Karen

I remember back in 1992 we traded our Nissan Sentra with my fil for his really old NIssan pick up that had A LOT of miles on it(can't remember the exact amt) boy did we get the short end of that stick!( he needed to switch cause the truck was a stick shift and it was bothering his arthritis and at the time couldn't afford to buy a car)
but the Sentra was only 5 years old and the paint was already fading to a pale red.
the truck was also formerly red and we had to have a piece of cardboard inside across the floor to keep the wind from coming in

Here is why taxing your way out a hole is dumb - it just does not work.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/01/19/topinka-illinois-unpaid-bill-crisis-just-keeps-getting-worse/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

How's about this lovely energy reform CRAP?

we go to do maintenance at the fire dept of one of our township contracts, someone changed ALL the units(furnaces and air handlers/condensers)
sit down with engineer and he says there is a company doing energy audits(the only company allowed to) and they write up a report on the units you currently own vs the units they can put in. They then change out all of them and they apply for a grant and that's how they get paid, the township does not have to pay anything at the time of the work. This company DOES NOT warranty the work or parts and IF the government denies the grant the township then has to pay $37,000 for the work that was done. They changed a BRAND NEW unit that was put in last year and just junked it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAT THE HECK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not surprised at all.

Wow - my friend finally found a buyer for his brother's first edition Moby Dick. I believe the last asking price was $50K!

Lexington, MA(Zone 6a)

Do you think Woody Allen would find time to read it if he had the first edition?

Jen, fer crying out loud...that's horrible.

Is Christie getting anywhere with his tax reduction?

victor, wowzers. Does he also have a Monet in his closet?

This message was edited Jan 20, 2012 8:15 AM

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

WOW Victor that's great!

Sally, he sure is trying...last year was the 1st year we ever had a refund from the state so that must mean something. Really the townships have way much more control over taxes and stuff but the big fight is with the board of ed(the only part of my taxes that have gone up in the past 3 years, btw)

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Waiting for an answer on who won a county bid...geez, it's like pulling teeth...just tell us who won it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Similar to your story, Jen.

http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2012/01/19/bankrupt-solyndra-caught-destroying-brand-new-parts/

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

geez...now why didn't they auction all that off to pay their bills???? what the heck?

Our tax dollars hard at work.

An original Audubon book with his hand paintings sold at Christie's for over 7 million!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

oh yeah hubby loves dumpster diving at these government office buildings....found a whole pack of stationary imprinted with all names, obviously one of them got fired or whatever but HELLO, can't you use it as scrap paper????
Found a whole box of unused pencils, pens, rubber bands and paper clips because they cleaned out someones desk after they were fired....what? no one else uses this stuff?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

ok seriously????

Called last week to get results of county bid.....won't tell me over the phone it will be on the website next week
check the website this week, not there, still not there today
hubby emails, "we'd like to know where we ended up on the bid"
she emails back "the bid was mailed out and went out for bid on the 12th"
Uh, DUH!!!!!!!
I email " yes, the bid that was due on the 12th and opened on the 12th, we'd like to know who won since it's not posted on your website"
she emails back "the company who the bid was awarded to is posted on the website but if it's not posted it is being reviwed and will be posted next week"

UGH, do you people know anything?

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

guess not!

I didn't finish watching that Solyndra video. Too disgusting. Oh yeah, these are the remaining managers who are working so hard they deserve bonuses? AAAIIIIEEE

Ugh.

And there are more Solyndras out there. We will be hearing about them.

People power really does work - especially these days. They have squashed those two idiotic internet bills - at least for now.

Whoa - some poor slob lost 99.95% in one day!!

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-20/google-miss-hands-losses-to-bullish-traders.html

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

I think they were just tabled. "They" will wait until "they" think we aren't paying attention.

They are not dumb enough to do it this year. Hollywood is not happy and claims they will hold back their donations.

You may have heard about the gas explosion nearby the other day. Contractor for Verizon hit a gas pipe and some time later a house blew up, injuring two volunteer firemen and wrecking four or five houses. Now comes word that the contractor does not have enough insurance! What do you do? He surely will be out of business so if you sue, you will probably get nothing. I am assuming your homeowners should cover you while they are the ones to go after recovery. Messy.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

and then your rates go up

Really a joke to see Google taking a strong position against those bills. No one is more anti-consumer, anti-privacy and they have already engaged in censorship here and abroad.

Sherrie In, NH(Zone 5a)

Comcast going up another 5 bucks a month - eeks. Well after what? 2 years Jim is now working 5 days a week.

Pays to run a Mickey Mouse organization.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20120121/D9SD3EOG2.html

I'm just tired of being sick and mad about that stuff. The moral is: be a fat cat and your fellow fat cats will make sure you all eat well.
Seriously- how can one person, out of the whole organization that runs anything, be worth so much more money than another? And would it kill somebody like that to maybe take that bonus and set up scholarships for all the underlings kids, or health care help? Of course, he may well but that won't be reported in the same article.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.