Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Cabbage and cauliflower leaves turning purple

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 11, Views: 80
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
milesdt
Pulaski, GA

January 17, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #8972170

The leaves on my cabbage and cauliflower plants are turning purple (and I didn't plant purple varieties!). Is this a deficiency in the soil or too much of something in the soil?
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 18, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #8972875

Mine have tips of purple also on the Cabbage. Since this is the first time I have made Cabbage, I do not know if this is normal.
petronius_ii
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #8973012

Could be phosphorus deficiency, maybe? Cold weather inhibits phosphorus uptake, and will cause tomatoes and peppers to develop red veins and/or a red tinge on the leaves, so I'm thinking it might have a similar effect on cabbage family in some cases.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #8975364

How big are your cabbage plants? I know a seedling's leaves will turn purple on the undersides if it is kept too damp and too cold (like from a draft). This is akin to a baby turning blue when it's too cold...

Also, what amendments did you put into your soil? Are you in-ground or in a container? Could you possibly post a picture of your ailing cabbages?

I'm going on my 4th season growing cabbages, and never have encountered this malady. Will try to help as I can, but need a wee bit more information...

Hugs!

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #8975509

My cabbage are in the ground. And we have had some cold weather, so the leaves probally turned purple because of the cold. Its been warm now for a week, & the leaves are green again.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
11:35 AM

Post #8975525

How old/big are your plants, Beehillman?

When I put my cabbage seedlings out, it was very windy, and cold, a sure formula for distressed babies (more so the wind than the cold -- these are cold weather crops -- but, sometimes that wind can do more damage than the cold!)

So, I put my hoop up on the windy days, and left the ends open for ventilation, just until they were well established enough.

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
11:41 AM

Post #8975533

oops. Those are the transplanted cabbages and cauliflower seedlings I put out very, very late. The hoop is off because the picture shows them after they'd grown much bigger than when I planted them out.

Here's a picture with the plastic cover on. Those are Brussels Sprouts plants underneath. I had to shift them out, cause they grew so tall, and I needed to put the late transplants out and under!

Linda

This message was edited Jan 20, 2012 1:41 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl

jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #8977081

Hi Linda,

Do you EAT all that cabbage that you grow..??.. One head of cabbage can last us a long time in the fridge. Just curious...

Jann

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #8977100

Actually,
I've only eaten one serving so far. I've given away at least 5 heads of cabbage. Which is part of my growing mission. I'll give it away before I let anything go to waste or go bad in my veggie garden.

I have a neighbor whose "sweeter than cuties" tangerine tree is hanging over another neighbor's fence. Permission was given for the neighbor to eat as many fruit as they wanted. The neighbor invited me over and I got a bag of fruit. But, I noticed there were SCORES of rotting fruit on the ground, because this neighbor wasn't harvesting them fast enough.

Well, a few days later, I brought yet another neighbor to see the tree, and to ask if we could share some with that neighbor. Do you know there was an attitude of "don't take too many, now"!! I could hardly believe it.

I hate seeing food go to waste...

jannz2
Pilot Point, TX
(Zone 7b)

January 22, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #8977509

Hi Linda... Yea... I don't like to see food go to waste either... I feel so dang guilty if I have to throw stuff out.

We've adopted more of a Paleo lifestyle so we're eating lots more vege's... mostly because we don't eat 'grains' any more. We've always eaten vege's but I used to make my 'coconut rice' for just about every meal... don't do that anymore... so replacing that with EXTRA veges. Looking forward to getting my big garden in this year -- I didn't do one last year.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
11:30 AM

Post #8977710

My veggies seem to grow very slowly. I had planted my cabbage plants in Oct. I think or when WalMart starts selling their fall plants. And they are all making heads now. But as far as my Kale, & Lettace, they seem to grow so slowly. They are nice & green, but they stay one size. I fertilize some, with l0-l0-l0. Maybe I need to fertilize more.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #8978343

If you do fertilize try more Nitrogen. It's great for foliage. I planted lettuce seeds in straight composted horse manure and they grew really fast. Just make sure you wash the leaves off really well before you eat them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America