Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: January is National Oatmeal Month: also can be gluten free!

Communities > Forums > Article: January is National Oatmeal Month
bookmark
Forum: Article: January is National Oatmeal MonthReplies: 5, Views: 22
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #8972774

Oats that are certified to have come from a wheat-free facility are a god-send to those who live with celiac disease. There are more and more sources for such oats, thankfully! I know not everyone can tolerate them, but my celiac daughter can, so oats and oat flour are staples here.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 18, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #8973093

Your daughter has celiac! I am so sorry.
What I don't understand is why celiac is so on the rise?
There was a very interesting article in "Scientific America Magazine" a couple of years ago that was very interesting, explaining how it is not genetic, but could be acquired--- but some people were more prone to these environmental conditions than others. .

My own family; son, daughter, husband has an "acquired" mitrochondrial disorder, they break down carbs sloppily and the body cannot use the glucose like it should. We avoid too many fast releasing carbs.
And gluten although a protein --- there is something not right about that food either, so we cut out white processed flour.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 18, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #8973525

http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/659/

I wrote a whole article about it! I think, myself, that it's on the rise because wheat is IN EVERY SINGLE PRODUCT one tries to eat.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 19, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #8974487

In Scientific America; The researcher that wrote the artticle had spent 20 years trying to make a vaccine for cholera. His volunteers kept ending up with celiacs.(Sure glad I was not one of his volunteers!)
He said that the gut produced lots of mucus to slouch out pathogens. Sometimes proteins from a vaccine or a protein from a pathogen combined with our own enzymes and set up a condition that was on going --- later exchanging gluten in the place of the original protein --- that is our own enzyme starte combining with the gluten protein instead. This combination caused the cells that line the gut to actually unzip. He was surprised that the gut cells could unzip. Gluten then got behind the gut into the body - the blood stream -- as a whole protein ---not broken up. This set up inflammation.

I did find it on the internet - but I read it in the orginally hard copy first. The internet copy to my suprise was different and not as indepth, or explained it near as good as the hard copy.

I will read your article right now, even though I am suppose to be bringing dinner to my parents (blush) well I got it cooked - just have to deliver.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 19, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #8974530

Carrie That was a fantastic article.
I guess I missed it because I did not start reading Dave's garden untill 2009, and I did go back and read some of the old articles, but I missed it.
You need to repost it!
You have pictures of different powered grain and beans in jars.
I too found that the sacks all stuck in gallon freezer bags was tooooo confusing and had to put them on jars.
If you repost it -- maybe you can tell me of any recipes for blackberry cobbler (although you did mention pancakes 1/2 millet and 1/2 rice flour. I raise lots and lots of blackberries because they are slow release carbs, but we get tired of smoothies only.

carrielamont

carrielamont
Bedford, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #8974785

I have not read the S.A. article! News to me. Rerunning articles is not done by me; it's the DG editorial staff. Sometimes it's a complete surprise!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: January is National Oatmeal Month Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
It's an institution Cville_Gardener 2 Jan 18, 2012 4:49 PM
Wonderful on a winter morning roserairie 3 Jan 19, 2012 6:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America