Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: January is National Oatmeal Month: Wonderful on a winter morning

Communities > Forums > Article: January is National Oatmeal Month
bookmark
Forum: Article: January is National Oatmeal MonthReplies: 3, Views: 20
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 18, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #8972962

I love having oatmeal especially in the winter. Nothing warms me up more. I have the old fashioned variety every morning with some of my favorites like, cinammon, raisins, pecans, walnuts, dried cranberries, apple or banana - whatever is in the kitchen gets cut up and tossed in the pot. A little honey, maybe a little skim milk and we're talking heavenly! I even used canned pumpkin once for company and they loved it. Can't remember what all the ingredients were but I made it in a crockpot and there wasn't anything left by the time the friends went home.
Liquidambar2
Mount Vernon, KY

January 18, 2012
1:17 PM

Post #8973135

A crock pot full on a cold winter day - sharing with friends sounds great to me!
But there are some people out there that are just hard to please..
Let me give you an example;
I fixed the steel cut oats, for my parents when my mother got out of the hospital this fall. Both were born in the 1930s. Dad ate them fine - he had a heart attack a decade ago, and I have been throwing oat bran in everything bready for years for him, but not my mother. She claims she can taste it!

My own family loves - craves steel cut oats, it is a rather new way of feeding them oats by the way and I have been very pleased at their acceptance.

My mother, however; made a point to give me a history lesson about steel cut oats, I brought her that day..

"A long time ago," She began,", they would barely get ahold of a burlap sack of oats from some one who decided to raise a patch on over in the next hollow because they were pooer than dirt, and then they would bring it into the house". I was thinking how filthy of them!

"Now," My mother continues, "They did not have enough fire wood to cook it, and it took all day long,so most of the time they half way cooked it. They did not even get the water all soaked up in it, and then served it not only raw but runny too. So what you brought me, as I lay sick in this bed after being in the ICU for a month; was some of those --those ol'e coarse oatsl"

Sigh! In my own defense; I cooked it up on the electric stove; and not on our wood stove, and the water was all gone when I served it to her.

But I love her anyway, even if she is the most constipated, little dried up spit fire woman in the universe. And in her defense she had been very sick for a long time.

But she has always been ONE with the American diet full of refined white wheat flour and suuuugggar!
She is a prime example that you can eat only white flour, sugar and still have health and vigor on up into your 80s. I bet if she had ate her oatmeal like she should of - she would have got in that hosptal like she did this fall untill she was 120!..

This message was edited Jan 18, 2012 6:10 PM
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #8973389

I too love a nice warm bowl of oatmeal. My favorite adds are cinnamon and brown sugar with maybe a little maple syrup or honey. A friend recently turned me on to adding a tablespoon of peanut butter! I'm hooked! Plus I get a dose of protein I wouldn't normally get. I also add a few chopped walnuts and it's really yummy. A little different from the usual raisins or cranberries.

What are your favorite things to add?
roserairie
Chicago, IL
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #8973887

I love the steel cut oats too. A few years ago, they were harder to find in the store but now they have several brands. I buy them now and then. They have to cook longer and the texture is a little different but still delicious. I am the only one in the house that will eat the the steel cut oats though and that's why I don't buy them that often.

I will have to try the peanut butter - that sounds really good!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: January is National Oatmeal Month Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
It's an institution Cville_Gardener 2 Jan 18, 2012 4:49 PM
also can be gluten free! carrielamont 5 Jan 19, 2012 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America