Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Greenhouse: Is this a greenhouse?....

Communities > Forums > Greenhouse
bookmark
Forum: GreenhouseReplies: 59, Views: 791
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #8973910

This little building was on the property when we bought it, in 2010. Now, we know it is for plants. Is it a greenhouse? Or something else? It only has the door and the windows for light and ventilation, no sky lights, it is oriented E/W...located almost behind the garage.
It has low plant shelves, on 3 sides, below the windows. To us, it just looks like it doesn't make a very good green house, or grow house or anything. Oh, it has a shingled roof and a concrete slab foundation also. Any thoughts?

Thumbnail by moxies_garden
Click the image for an enlarged view.

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #8973913

The inside of the little building.

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #8973930

Before we cleaned it up and started using it.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 19, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #8973943

I suspect the people who built it probably intended it as a greenhouse, but maybe they didn't like the look of a regular greenhouse, or they wanted the potential to be able to use it for other things besides plants too so they built it that way instead of all glass/polycarbonate like most greenhouses. Or they built it knowing they might sell the house soon, and figured something that could be a shed or an office or a greenhouse or a playhouse might be more appealing to potential buyers than something that is clearly only a greenhouse. Or they might have been a bit fuzzy on some of the details of what would make the best greenhouse so didn't bother with ventilation, more glass to let more light in, etc.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #8974179

Do your trees lose their leaves in winter? If so the available light should be more than enough to use it as a greenhouse/potting shed. You could always add a skylight with vent for more light plus ventilation.

Doug
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #8974240

We are in SC, zone 7..west of Columbia. I was thinking they might have built it that way to keep out some of the summer sun. This whole property is put together kind of strangely though. The main house bathroom, is stuck on the side of the house, like it was an afterthought. Amongst other things.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #8978110

I rather like your greenhouse.

If you are inclined to change it, in the future you might remove the roof decking/shingles and install greenhouse panels on the roof to make it more practical.

Then, you could always use shade cloth in summer if needed. Kristi
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
3:29 AM

Post #8978505

Podster- too funny. I was just asking DH about that very option this past weekend. It seems very over built for a greenhouse. Maybe it's more of a potting shed.
I did look the panels up online. It might be an option in the future. I was just curious of what others thoughts on my little building might be. I have always seen the green houses in glass or plastic panels. Potting sheds as little dark cozy places, to maybe pot plants and store garden tools.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
5:34 AM

Post #8978604

Well, it was probably built by a guy for his lady with good intentions of it being a greenhouse (with apologies to my husband) but he wasn't a plant guy so what did he know?

Concrete floor although I actually don't mind it. And I did get polycarbonate roofing and found the siding half way up the walls works to keep the GH warmer.

So how could I not say thank you to my honey? LOL

You see why I had to chuckle when I saw yours...

Thumbnail by podster

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #8978721

Well Kristi I think that looks wonderful, especially with the poly roof.

Doug
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #8978740

Oh podster!!...You have my ...err...greenhouse!! Yes, the concrete floor even. The somewhat finished inside walls and ceiling, and the token electrical wire to flip on the one, or is it 2, flourescent light fixtures. They did grow plants sell, but they also had a box out back with potting soil in it. DH thought it looked like a rabbit hutch, but I reminded him that it had the potting soil in it, and they sold plants too in the little storefront building.

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #8978744

This is the little storefront out by the road. We had to live in it for the first 100 days it took to get the main house liveable.
Now, I will be opening a store myself, a shop anyways. Haps I might sell plant-lings too...like the previous owners did.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 23, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #8978754

Looks like a great space for potting, rooting cuttings (wouldn't want strong sun on them), etc. You could either expand the size of south windows or add some shop lights indoors for growing seedlings.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #8978792

Meh...that's the kicker. It is all oriented wrong. The big banks of windows, East and West only. Limited sun exposure due to trees and building. The south wall, 2 windows, and they are facing the pump house. It is one of those "scratch my head in confusion" buildings. The west wall, has the door in it. The east wall, total bank of slatted shelves. It was my best location last summer. The opposite west all shelves, I ended up using them for baby seedlings, as they didn't get the exposure as much as the east wall did. My new custom built potting bench, went in the one empty wall on the other side of the door. Up till then, I was having to use the slatted shelves for a potting bench. Too low, caused alot of back ache.

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #8978795

Here is my potting bench. Narrow, but high enuff to use comfortably. And, it is not anchored to the wall or floor. I can dismantle it and take it outside. I am finding the need to completely clean the potting shed/greenhouse after a season of use.

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #8978803

postmandug wrote:Well Kristi I think that looks wonderful, especially with the poly roof.

Doug

I like it too. I have a wood heater, an old church pew, a work table, chairs, radio. I spend many an hour there although it is almost too full. The cat collection and sometimes even the dogs join me.

If I could change anything, it would be its' positioning. In summer it catches sun from 11 am to sunset. In Texas, I'm amazed the heat hasn't curled the roof panels. Even with shadecloth, a plant couldn't survive. I intend to try a higher rated shadecloth this year.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 23, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #8978808

Seems to me that the size of the windows compared to the size of the walls is that it was meant for plants or a screened-in summer building. The new potting bench fits in there perfectly. Ever think about putting a nice chair in there for reading?
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 23, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #8978812

I really like the sturdiness of all of your greenhouses and am totally jealous. :) My kit GH has a metal frame and polycarbonate panels so there's no coziness in there.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #8978825

Cindy is jealous and so am I. It's great - enjoy it.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #8978841

I am...just not sure how to best utilize it yet. I love the potting bench. DH made it to my specifications from wood crates from France. His job gets copper blanks in the crates for their machinists work. he crates are just tossed outside and burned. DH drags them home. We made the chicken tractor from them too. The elbow grease is getting them the 40 miles home, cleaning them up of nails/ They are like 12' long I think. Maybe it is 14'. I don't remember. But it is all good wood.

We love to reduce/reuse/recycle/repurpose.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #8978851

Moxie, I would replace the roof with a clear greenhouse roof, then dismantle the multilevel shelves- (that arrangement where you have to lean over to reach the top level is just a bad back waiting to happen) use the boards to build a bench the proper height along both sides where you can work comfortably, and you're in business. The boards at 3 levels will be just what you need to change to one level- it will take the same number of boards--Every one of us is green with envy over your cute little building!!! Good luck-

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 8:09 AM
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #8978866

JoParrott wrote:Moxie, I would replace the roof with a clear greenhouse roof, then dismantle the multilevel shelves- (that arrangement where you have to lean over to reach the top level is just a bad back waiting to happen) use the boards to build a bench the proper height along both sides where you can work comfortably, and you're in business. The boards at 3 levels will be just what you need to change to one level- it will take the same number of boards--Every one of us is green with envy over your cute little building!!! Good luck-

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 8:09 AM

Oh don't I know!!My back took many an ibuprofen before DH built me the potting bench. We will look into the roof this spring or summer. Perhaps. It is a cute little building. Too bad we cannot speak with the people who built it. They are long gone. Funny thing is, in the front yard area, there is an almost identical poured concrete slab. I think they were going to put it there first, then decided to move it to the back yard. The front gets very little sun. all that is there is the slab.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #8978948

podster wrote:

I like it too. I have a wood heater, an old church pew, a work table, chairs, radio. I spend many an hour there although it is almost too full. The cat collection and sometimes even the dogs join me.

If I could change anything, it would be its' positioning. In summer it catches sun from 11 am to sunset. In Texas, I'm amazed the heat hasn't curled the roof panels. Even with shadecloth, a plant couldn't survive. I intend to try a higher rated shadecloth this year.

Oh yeah, I have a whole stereo system in there hooked up to my Sirius satellite radio and my MP3 player to jam to the blues while fussing with my plants! My own little getaway. The fridge is in the storage barn it's attached to, so the beer isn't too far way either!!! Oh the dog comes in for a couple of minutes, then wants right back outside. Maybe 'cause my music's too loud?????
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #8979029

Bet the plants don't protest the loud music do they!?!! lol

Moxies_garden ~ if they used to sell plants or seedlings in their little shop, you already have a foot in the door on starting your business. Good going and good luck!
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #8979054

Yup...yup Podster. My shop is going to be alterations. Then, I plan on selling boutique-y things too. CP soaps, kitchen linens, vintage textiles perhaps, seeds from my gardens, custom ordered clothing for Rennaisance Festivals. I am just going to see what sells good. What people around here are interested in.
I still have a long ways to go though. DH has the bottom baseboard of my counter glued and assembled so far. But his saw broke, and now he has to fabricate a new gear for it. I have to do the legal footwork for my place.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 23, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #8979309

doug - sweet!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #8982231

I was up there earlier this evening and thought about all of you, so I went and got my camera...

Thumbnail by postmandug

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #8982234

another

Thumbnail by postmandug

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #8982244

Front view

Thumbnail by postmandug

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #8982250

My tour plaque and watercolor by a plein air painter during the tour

Thumbnail by postmandug

pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #8982293

It's terrific, Doug!

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #8982304

More like a man cave for gardeners than a greenhouse Pirl!!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #8982313

Could be a gal's cave just as easily, Doug. Love the American Gothic take-off!
Windy
Belleville , IL
(Zone 6b)

January 25, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #8982325

It was probably used to store potted outdoor plants that would go dormant like perennials that she/he did not want to bring indoors because of insects in the plants or soil.
I have a couple of plants in my garage which has windows on one side. Just enough light and heat so I don't have to bring the plants inside or let them outside to die.
And on rainy days I would use that building to continue doing things that I could not do in the rain, like planting up seedings or planting seeds.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 25, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #8982361

pirl wrote:Could be a gal's cave just as easily, Doug. Love the American Gothic take-off!

Janis and Jimi...
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2012
6:01 PM

Post #8982368

Aha!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #8982399

Doug... your "front view" looks like the mad scientists' lab. lol

I like your greenhouse art work!

This is decorating my GH wall. A friend paints Americana and gave me this one...

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #8982401

... and my favorite spot, the vintage church pew.
It faces the wood heater and right behind this pew, is my potting/work table.

This kitty did not like the sound of rain on the roof!

Thumbnail by podster

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #8982405

and just one more, a quick glance at the green stuff.

This was taken last year. I haven't filed this years photos yet.

Thumbnail by podster

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2012
3:10 AM

Post #8982559

Podster, and doug...Fantastic pictures!! They give me ideas for mine! I love looking at what others do with their places...so many neat ideas!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #8982578

I agree, it is great to tour others greenhouses. Very fun to see how they set it up and what they use it for whether it is vegetable or tropical plants or just seed starting. The next best thing to walking through one.

You know, it always feels like my GH is stuffed with plants and too much other stuff but when I take photos, it looks sparse. Maybe I need more plants!?!! 8 )

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #8982688

You can never have too many plants!!
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #8982730

I love it when mine are doing good and looking healthy. I have the one arrow leaf plant (Syngonium podophyllum), that i have had for 15 years now. It has been cut back to the soil line, moved several times and states, frozen, attacked by the cat. It still hangs in there, and now has several baby plants in their own pots. I don't even count them anymore.

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 26, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #8982734

Loving the photos! And the space to turn around! Love the repurposing of kitchen cabinets and church pews.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 26, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #8982906

I am feeling some greenhouse envy ...lol

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #8982907

Yeah Cindy, old kitchen cabinets and the countertop by the fan was a vanity top in one of our bathrooms. The cutout for the round sink sink was perfect for placing the trash can under. Actually all the windows used to create the sidewalls were from a house remodel job that a friend did.

Doug
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 26, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #8983100

Very cool!
DH wishes I would have chosen a larger GH kit but didn't have a lot of space on the south side of the garage (pie-shaped lot) and there's not enough sun in the back of the house (faces east) with lots of overhanging tree branches. I do have to move things to get to other things but I can still cram a lot of plants in there. I had used my old kitchen cabinets for the laundry area so got a Rubbermaid tall cabinet for stashing APS trays, pots, etc (but never have enough room for all my "stuff"). I see you have Boston ferns in your GH, Doug. Mine prefer the GH to being indoors even though it stays cool at night.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 26, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #8983394

Way too dry for them in the house. I gave them a good haircut before putting them in there for the winter. They're coming back nicely.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

January 27, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #8983956

I have one that's scheduled for dividing this year. I'll be doing that in the next week or so to give it time to recover before spring and "public" viewing.
Texasgal77
Baytown, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
11:10 PM

Post #8988950

Love the greenhouse! I too have greenhouse envy!

Cindy you have a Dmail!

Jeanne

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9062448

Been so warm I decided the greenhouse time was over. Moved back to the covered patio. Started this last Jul-Aug. Spring, Summer and Fall man-cave, instead of the GH!

Doug

Thumbnail by postmandug

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 29, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9062451

Tried to post two pics, don't know what happened

Thumbnail by postmandug

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

March 29, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9062464

Delightful enough! Do you not have mosquito problems?

If I was willing to 'air' my laundry, I'd post photos of what I do with the greenhouse when the plants all get moved out. LOL
I have two clotheslines in there and on hot, hot days, I can dry up to three loads of clothes in a day. A multitasking greenhouse for sure!

Haven't moved them all out yet though. We are enoying much company and I haven't accomplished much this spring.

WayneKY
Cadiz, KY

March 29, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9062592

Looks like a great place to watch NCAA basketball this weekend! GO BIG BLUE!

Wayne

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

March 30, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #9062939

Yes Wayne. We expect about 30-35 people over. Frying about 20 lbs of fish and doing a Shrimp Boil too. CATS...
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9086656

Hi -

I am loving everyone's greenhouses! My husband and I are just getting ready to purchase ours. We are hoping to start seeds away from the intense florida sun and grow some hot peppers (my husbands addiction). If anyone has any tips please let me know.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
6:20 PM

Post #9086782

If you planning to use it in summer, consider shade cloth and make the shade cloth easy to use. Good luck with yours. Hope to see your photos soon... Kristi
floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 17, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9086814

Hi Kristi -

The one we are looking at has frosted panels on the top, but we do have a shadecloth on our list. I also found a mister kit that uses pvc piping. I am very excited to get started!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 17, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9086861

Ahhh ~ a mister would be nice.

I wish I could fix panels of shade cloth material or perhaps have shadecloth on rollers to use when needed. I am just finishing moving my plants out because I couldn't find or install the shadecloth without rearranging the plants anyway.

Note to myself to be better organized next fall when I move the plants in... lol Live and learn.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 18, 2012
6:34 AM

Post #9087269

floridabunnie, You may want to look into the Harbor Freight models if you want a package. The price is good and you could easily add a few modifications to help storm proof it. Here is a link to ours.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1243490/
and a link to Oldmudhouses'
http://hfgh10x12.blogspot.com/
Hope this helps or gives you some ideas.
Holly's Ric

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Greenhouse Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Online sources for greenhouse film? Terry 11 Oct 31, 2012 5:55 PM
Old Tomcat Sprays My Greenhouse Weezingreens 24 May 22, 2009 5:37 PM
Early 1900s Wm. H. Lutton Glasshouse Jersey City, NJ Abutilon 50 Jan 22, 2009 3:55 AM
Best greenhouse for the money JimKennard 90 Sep 22, 2012 8:54 PM
Santa Barbara Greenhouses? mysticwill 8 May 4, 2009 3:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America