Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Wildlife Gardening: There's a robin eating my winterberries

Communities > Forums > Wildlife Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Wildlife GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 47
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ilovedahlias
Wakefield, MA

January 19, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #8973920

I am so glad to see this rather large red-breasted robin hanging out near my winterberry bush. But I am concerned for him--should he be hanging around here in Massachusetts in mid-January? Should I be putting out food for him? water? a bird house? He looks a little bloated. Is he just a healthy plump?

Thumbnail by ilovedahlias
Click the image for an enlarged view.

evie_beevie
Essex Junction, VT
(Zone 4a)

January 31, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #8989563

yay!

I don't think you need to be concerned. Robins are not known to visit feeders (they're not seed eaters IIRC). So I don't think you need to put out food - just your winterberries.

Having a bird bath is helpful for all overwintering birds, as long as it doesn't freeze. I have a heater for my bath since I'm so far north.

Birds tend to fluff out their feathers to help keep them warm, so that is probably what we're seeing.
ilovedahlias
Wakefield, MA

February 1, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #8990818

oh, thanks! That makes sense that he's fluffing out his feathers. He really was round! Well he stayed with us for about a week, ate almost all the berries, but not all. I guess he's found a better place to feed because he's not been around for a while. It was so nice having him. He practically camped out on the bush or right across the driveway from it for a whole week. Robins must have a special personality compared to some other birds, like the sparrows we get alot of, but I never felt the presence of sparrows as strongly as I did this robin.
evie_beevie
Essex Junction, VT
(Zone 4a)

February 17, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9009728

You might be interested in this link - it talks about how there are more robins than usual in New England due to the lack of snow cover.
http://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com/2012/02/17/overwintering-american-robins/
ilovedahlias
Wakefield, MA

February 20, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9014108

That's definitely it! I saw a poor fluffy all-black caterpillar out on the bare ground next to where my butterfly weed grows. All this warm weather is confusing everyone I guess. I even saw crocuses in bloom in Rockport today!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Wildlife Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hummingbirds! Marilynbeth 92 Apr 29, 2007 7:34 PM
Idaho to kill wolves terryr 36 Jun 8, 2012 2:20 PM
Any one know alot about hawks? lavenderwolf 24 Jun 6, 2007 2:40 PM
Drip watering system for birds? Equilibrium 68 Apr 3, 2008 10:18 AM
Moving a spider egg sac, possible? cresida 23 Jul 21, 2011 4:50 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America