Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Seed Germination: How to sow indoors in "cool " place

Communities > Forums > Seed Germination
bookmark
Forum: Seed GerminationReplies: 13, Views: 167
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #8974114

Some of my seed packets say to start in a cool place. I don't have a basement or room that can be closed off easily. So most of the house is at least 64 -70 degrees. Garage is unheated and as cold as 20 degrees right now. What do you do for these seeds?
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

January 19, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #8974223

the 'fridge, if you have room. a friend's basement? what are the seeds? i have found that some packages call for much more fuss than the seeds really need. someone here may be able to tell you if the seeds really need "cool"

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

January 19, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #8974904

It is difficult to give advise when you don't mention what plant/s you are referring to.

In general, annual plant can be started at room temp. Perennials, especially hardy ones, often requires cold temps with moisture, (referred to as stratification). Depending on variety/genus they can be sown in flats then left ouside in shade or unheated garage to sprout in the spring as temperature warms. Freezing will not hurt them. Also in the fridge.

This is how I start iris seeds. They need the flunctuating temperature. Below are my iris seeds in individual containers then placed in the larger bin. They will sprout this spring. This is my second year doing likewise.

Check out the forum "Winter Sowing" Lots of friendly folks there who winter sow all types of seeds.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2012 8:26 PM

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

KathyWid
Clover, SC

February 11, 2012
10:30 AM

Post #9002938

Just checking ... lots of seed packets say "store in a dry cool place." If you are actually supposed to start in a cool place, then 60-65 degrees probably pretty good.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

February 11, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9003198

"store in a dry cool place." just means what it states. STORE (not start) in a dry cool place. It is not referring to sowing, just storing. Best place to store seeds is in a ziplock back placed in the crisper of the fridge. You can also use the crisper to start hard perennial seeds.
franknjim
Peoria, IL
(Zone 5a)

February 14, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9006943

I just bought three colors of annual Lobelia that needs to be germinated in a cool place, 10 to 15 days at 55 degrees F. They also need light to germinate. I will set up a light in the cooler part of the basement to start them.

If you can't find somewhere to start your seeds exactly as specified on the package for the cooler germinating temp., I would do it on the floor in the coolest room of the house. The temp will be lower on the floor than up higher.

pollengarden

pollengarden
Pueblo, CO
(Zone 5b)

February 14, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9006991

You might try checking the temperature on the floor. The temperature of a room can vary 20 degrees between near the floor and near the ceiling.
martyR
Munster, IN
(Zone 5b)

March 2, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9026923

Found this cool project on-line, and started some of the cool start seeds. [Pansies, pinks and nierembergia]
http://www.gardendesign.com/seed-sowing-snow?pnid=122085#gallery-content

By the way I got the planting instructions from Park's seed catalog [middle pages.] which I have had good luck with for several years. This company has been willing to replace seed with poor germination results, or change an order I goofed on.
Thanks all for the responses. Will post pictures once I know more re: the milk jug greenhouses, so far they are easy and seem cool! Pun intended! LOL

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 2, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9027498

franknjim wrote:I just bought three colors of annual Lobelia that needs to be germinated in a cool place, 10 to 15 days at 55 degrees F. They also need light to germinate. I will set up a light in the cooler part of the basement to start them.

Small/tiny seeds do not need light to germinate. All that means is that small and tiny seeds have to be surfaced sown (on top of the soil) rather than be covered. You don't have to set up lights to start them, just need light after they sprouted.
scompton
Goodview, VA

March 12, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9039220

Can newly sprouted veg. seeds be placed in full direct sun, or indirect sunlite?
6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9039303

Most veggie prefer full sun. just be mindful of the ambient temp for the seedlings.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 12, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9039412

scompton,
If sprouted in the house, newly sprouted seeds (veggies or flowers) need to be hardened off before they are planted in the garden or they will burn.

Place them where they will receive morning sun for 1 week, then gradually give them more sun. If you want to plant them directly into the garden, you need to use plastic milk bottles to shade them a bit until they are established.

Below is a milk carton protecting my tomato plant against late frost and to harden them off. It is held in place by a dowel. The cut opening faces east for morning sun.

Thumbnail by blomma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

6aseeder
Arlington, MA
(Zone 6a)

March 12, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9039745

blomma, great homemade cloche. you have tomatoes in the ground already?

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

March 12, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9040106

No, I don't grow veggies anymore. My kids are all grown and married. My daughter grows veggies. I am into flowers.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Seed Germination Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Propagation: Why are some seedlings "leggy"? gardendragon 18 May 8, 2013 6:47 PM
Welcome to the Seed Germination Discussion Forum! dave 20 Dec 23, 2009 2:56 PM
Jiffy Mini-Greenhouse for starting seeds PeggieK 188 Mar 21, 2013 11:19 AM
Stratification kimmers 27 Mar 26, 2014 4:37 PM
Sowing in Spaghnum moss Laurie1 3 Mar 8, 2007 11:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America