Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: How early can I start growing?

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 82
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Janiejoy
Silver Lake, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 19, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #8974365

I want more parsnips, carrots, turnips, rutabaga, and of course a hundred others... how soon can I start seeds or direct sow? I'm in zone 5b but it's acted more like zone 7a this year... very little snow, and hardly any rain, but warmer temps, in the 50's.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #8974501

DG has a tool for looking up your average last frost date by Zipcode or city & state.

Each crop has different tenderness - some can go out before your last HARD frost, some can stand a light frost, some have to wait for settled warm weather and warm soil.

Then you have to decide how much risk you want to take that this won't be an unusually late spring. A cold spell following a warm spell is probably the worst for most seeds: the warm spell tricks them into sprouting, and then the cold spell kills or stunts them.

You can get your soil warmer and dry enough to work with a black plastic cover - maybe clear also works. Or put a low platic tent or hoop tunnel over the bed and seal the flaps. Once the soil is dry and warm, you might plant weeks earlier than you could have otherwise, and the tent or tunnel will provide warmth until the plants grow high enoguh to touch it. Then the weather had BETTER be warm enough for them, or you'll have to hastily build a taller tunnel!

I calm down my "want to plant NOW" urges by starting seeds indoors under lights. But if you do THAT too soon, you wind up with too many plants to fit under your lights, and root-bound, frustrated plants.

Global warming, where are you when I want you?
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

January 20, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #8975985

RickCorey_WA wrote:. . . I calm down my "want to plant NOW" urges by starting seeds indoors under lights. But if you do THAT too soon, you wind up with too many plants to fit under your lights, and root-bound, frustrated plants. . .

LOL! My 24 seedlings (nore on the way) will be fully developed and ground ready in about 30 days. Unfortunately, the ground and weather won't be seedling ready for about 60 days.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #8979240

Sigh, it is hard to juggle trays of seedlings for that awkward 30 days. My neighbors have a sunny spot between their driveway and the road ... maybe a little hoop tunnel ... but I think they would notice it.

postmandug

postmandug
Bardstown, KY
(Zone 6a)

January 23, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #8979256

use a camo cover on that hoop Corey, they'll never see it!
evelyn_inthegarden
Sierra Foothills, CA
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #8979298

LOL!!! :-)

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #8979474

I like the idea of camo!

They said they would be moving in next month.

Since these new neighbors are going to be gardeners, I actually am trying to find ways to swap favors that might get me access to their sunny spots on top of nice, warm asphalt. Like "you can have half the seedlings" or "I'll run a drainage ditch from you beds downhill accross my lot".

Or "I'll share the coffee grounds I got from Starbucks" or "you can have some of the free pots I got from Home Depot".

I already shared some cherry tomatoes last fall.

But sharing compst from my tiny heap would go too far!

Also, the yard is kind of a mess from some perspectives and I'm already treading on their patience that way. There's always so many tasks waiting for my time, and "tidying up" has been low on my priority until now.

Corey

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America