Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Roses: black spot on the Gulf Coast

Communities > Forums > Roses
bookmark
Forum: RosesReplies: 4, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mariedsheley
Thibodaux, LA

January 20, 2012
1:11 PM

Post #8975635

I have been using a Fertilome product to good effect. My bad, I know. I just don't have the energy that I used to.

Recently I have sprayed twice in the last two weeks. The black spot is doing very well.

I will certainly entertain any plans that don't require more than once a week treatments.

I am concerned that I have a resistant strain of the scourge.

Thank you

Marie Zone 9 a-b
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 20, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #8976014

A former president of the Houston Rose Society gave a talk at a local nursery and said that "Aliette" could be sprayed on roses once before any fungus appeared and would act as a preventive all season. I have not found it locally or tried it; I generally don't spray at all. I would be really interested to know if anyone has used it and with what success.
mariedsheley
Thibodaux, LA

January 21, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #8976295

Thank you porkpal.

How in the world do you control blackspot. I know that you live in a more dry climate but still . . .
porkpal
Richmond, TX

January 21, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #8976576

Last summer was dry - DROUGHT - but our climate is humid like yours usually. I plant mainly old garden roses and especially Earthkind roses that resist or at least survive blackspot. And I just resign myself to the fact that some of my roses will be leafless in the summer.
MajiA
Kenner, LA

January 23, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #8978890

In our extremely SE Louisiana humid climate, we have to accept that there will be black spots when we decide to grow roses. One can start spraying all sorts of chemicals that may or may not prevent/cure black spots. However, be careful with all these chemical sprays especially if you have children or pets. If you ever pick up a rose to smell it before you put it in a vase, and you have sprayed it, then you also risk inhaling a possible chemical. I maybe a little too cautious, but I think one can still enjoy roses without resorting to use of chemicals.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America