Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Agastaches and Salvias: Salvia wagneriana

Communities > Forums > Agastaches and Salvias
bookmark
Forum: Agastaches and SalviasReplies: 4, Views: 95
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
K_Carter
Elk, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #8975668

My current "favorite" Salvia. Both the pink and white bract forms are in full bloom now, despite two nights when it dipped below 25 degrees F. And holding up well in our first Pacific Northwest mega-storm of the year.

Just thought to share this on a Winter day.

Thumbnail by K_Carter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

EFGeorgia1
Lizella, GA
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #8978218

OOOO, just beautiful on a cold/wet/winter day..
thanks for sharing.
Rich_dufresne
Candor, NC

January 23, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #8978919

Kermit, is the white bracted form from the U C Berkeley Botanical Garden? I've attached a scan of mine. Note the tips of the leaves just below the bracts. In this form, the leaves gradually change shape as they change into bracts, not only changing their edges, but veination and even having mottled variegation. At least, that is the case for me in North Carolina. Do you see the same effects where you are?

Thumbnail by Rich_dufresne
Click the image for an enlarged view.

K_Carter
Elk, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #8980692

I believe so, Richard. And yes, the white shows up below the bracts in a variable fashion.

I am hand pollinating flowers of this one, hooping for seed. We'll grow out to flowering 100% of them - I want to see what sort of variation there will be.

Kermit
risingcreek
sun city, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #8983482

that is beautiful !

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Agastaches and Salvias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Salvia pictures from my garden Gerris2 133 Mar 21, 2007 6:49 PM
My favorite Salvias ecrane3 88 Jun 5, 2007 11:39 PM
Agastaches & Salvias I'm Getting Thru Mail Order Marilynbeth 55 Mar 11, 2007 10:49 PM
Agastache & salvia Ariel73 2 Apr 10, 2007 7:14 PM
Salvia 'Discolor' mrs_colla 9 Mar 13, 2007 6:34 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America