Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: What are you making? Winter 2012 Part 2

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 242, Views: 1,785
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
2:27 PM

Post #8975705

Last page was gettting rather long and there is still a lot of winter left.

Came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236305/

This is a quilt top I made 5+ years ago. Finally got it quilted and gave it to a good friend for Christmas.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 20, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #8975739

Love the pinwheels!

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 20, 2012
7:49 PM

Post #8976013

This is it so far cell phone pic doesn't show the bright colors too well. Inside the flowers I am going to embroider a tea pot my aunt loves tea pots . That is a good idea Stu pillows might be just the right touch thanks . Cher

Thumbnail by cheriffic

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 20, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #8976015

That came over bad hmm

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 20, 2012
7:54 PM

Post #8976018

One more time

Thumbnail by cheriffic

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 20, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #8976022

I guess it doesn't like cell phone pics Ill try with the flash if not I will try in am from computer

Thumbnail by cheriffic

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 20, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #8976024

That was a little better I guess
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
3:35 AM

Post #8976150

The block is called "Winger Arrows" - a pinwheel with a Flying Geese block added at the end.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 21, 2012
4:29 AM

Post #8976182

Wow and double wow, love it! Great use of leftover fabric pieces waiting to be treasures

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 21, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #8976224

Very pretty quilter I bet your friend loved it.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 21, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #8976308

"Winger Arrows" is very pretty. Looks like just 3 fabrics being used.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #8976347

nice job, Jo and Barb.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #8976477

Marci Baker of the "not your grandmother's log cabin" is having a great book and pattern sale !!! I am getting some. sew if anyone wants to add to my order...the more that is ordered, the bigger the discount!!! some items are while supplies last, so we have to be quick...I will check in after work tonight and see if anyone wants to add to my order...I have just less than ten, so we can definitely get the first discount. $ 1 - 4 dollar items for 75cents !! 5 - 7 dollar items $2.00 I will have them sent to my house and then send on to you.

http://shop.online-quilting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 21, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #8976527

You are all so far ahead of me since Christmas,wanted to move on to something spring but here I am..no can move on until Christmas King Size Quilt is done...hmmm maybe in a few more weekends..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #8976575

Betty - you are 11 months "ahead of schedule"!!!! What an accomplishment.

I have 90% of the laminate down in the 1st bedroom. I won't have a multi-tool till tomorrow and need that (to trim off the bottom of door frames) before I can finish.

Guess I'll have to start the 2nd room!!!!! It was supposed to be in the high 70s today but seems to be "stuck" at just 70 and overcast.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 21, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #8976581

Hmmm. Guess its how you look at it..wish I lived closer, you could use my tools and I'd even help! Did all my rooms and that of my SIL..maybe that is why I have bad wrists...hope you have help!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #8976592

Help...what is Help????? I have a rubber mallet & pounding block, mitre saw... that is the "Help" I have!!!!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #8976738

Hummmmmmm... I like being the "helper"... between my husband and the renter I rarely get to do the exciting part! LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 21, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #8976787

The best part of reno's is when you can say you did it yourself..maybe I say that as there are no men in this household..if something doesn't get done I know whose fault it is!!

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 21, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #8976849

Just need to put borders on this one and Rack er up
Cher

Thumbnail by cheriffic

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 21, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #8976853

Betty I love the fabric you used for your Christmas quilt Looks great
Cher
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #8976855

Beautiful, cher- so the blocks around the edge are all D9P-? and the center- are they appliques or fussy cuts from fabric? It's hard to tell from the photo. I like the sashing- I noticed you don't have sashing on the top and bottom-or am I seeing wrong? I am interested in having a center like that.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 21, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #8976869

Hi Jo, Yes the outsides are all D9P's, No there is no sashing on outside I am just going to put border around that. The center is all Rose of Sharon flowers fused I will machine applique those and the teapot is embroidered. I was going to border it in the same color as center but I might use the Dark purple instead.
Cher
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #8976880

Very nice job Cher. I think the purple border would look nice.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 21, 2012
3:42 PM

Post #8976915

It looks like there is sashing on the insides of the blocks running up and down but no sashing going across the insides of the blocks. Am I just confused? (wouldn't be anything new!)
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 21, 2012
4:07 PM

Post #8976935

Cher that is just beautiful and love the teapot.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #8977078

Quilter, your "Winger Arrows" is lovely. Isn't it great to get something finished!!!!
Cheriffic,I love the teapot quilt! I also like teapots and cups and saucers and all things tea. If your aunt doesn't like it...
betty, your Christmas quilt is going to be a stunner! Just think how good you are going to feel when it is done whenever you get the urge to start something else. I'm a fine one to talk about finishing something before I start another... But, I am working on it. Really. I am. In fact, I'll show you.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #8977089

I made this one for a friend of my grand daughters whose father committed suicide a few months ago. My dil is making one with space aliens on it for her little brother. The fabric in this one was in a kit but I changed the pattern and managed to use nearly all the fabric. I had made 30 pinwheel blocks and finally decided to finish it last week. The first in a series (I hope!) of finished ufo's. The little blue chair is what I use to stand on to get the height I need to hang up the quilt top.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #8977095

Another view. The backing is the same pink print that is on the border. I hope she likes pink! It is already to quilt. Yay! Yipee! (Doing mental cartwheels here) I just need to get a twin batt and a six pack of Corona and quilt it!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #8977107

Are you ready for another ufo? This one I started about four years ago and got as far as the first border and put it away because I didn't want to deal with it... !!!!????? I really, really like it. Just love the colors. Anyway, in my quest to get some things finished, I dug it out and have been working on it for the last two days. It is called 'Durango Pinwheels'. (Hmmmmm. Do I detect a theme here?) Getting the little blue pinwheels to come out half way right is very painstaking. At least for me. They are a long way from perfect but at least it will be done.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 21, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #8977111

Another view. I'd like this one to be king sized so I've been using lots of paper to figure out the borders... Makes my head bone hurt... Also trying to figure out what color of backing to use. I really like red, but would that be to much?! Maybe black? Also leaning to a good rich golden color. I also am planning on using black batting, Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. I can get that by the yard, 108" wide. Maybe I'd better get two six packs of Corona... Tomorrow I'll be working on the borders again.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 21, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #8977158

Wow morknotmindy your a busy quilter beautiful work.

No Jo you are not confused I did 2 1/2 inch sash between all D9P blocks the center block is the same fabric and I did not sash the outside I thought I would just be different and put the border right against the blocks. I may use the same fabric as sashing but I am leaning towards a different color.

LOL it may be up for grabs if she doesn't like it but she loves the scrappy look and teapots so I should be good. Although scrappy it ain't DH has no idea that I bought this fabric this way he thought I had collected it all. I think it best he think that instead I bought this line of fabric from Moda in F8 strips. I couldn't help it I just fell in love with this line it is called Terrain. Funny though the green center and sashing I did have in my stash and it is also Moda I just adore their fabric.
Cher

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #8977159

Can you get the Corona at the fabric store?? LOL I REALLY REALLY REALLY Like those two quilts!!! I've discovered I have a "thing" for pinwheels and variations of pinwheels. Something about them just sing!

(I favor BLACK backing for your quilt... or a black and cobalt print)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
5:16 AM

Post #8977346

Gloria - LOVE both those quilts. The pink jsut screams "make a little girl happy". THe black with "jagged edges" is STUNNING. Do you remember what the pattern was? Or if you give me the size of the block I can probably figure it out. I'm always looking for a way to use left over fabrics and still ahve something a bit "complicated".

Glad to have you back with us!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2012
6:21 AM

Post #8977409

Beautiful work Gloria. I love how your mind works!!!! If I had a Corona, I'd be out like a light and get nothing done! However a touch of Kahlua would be wonderful!!!!
I am gaining a whole new respect for black. It really makes that Durango pinwheels quilt.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #8977413

My "problem" with black is 2 orange & 1 gray cats. Any dark color shows all the fur they seem to continually shed.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #8977430

That's my problem too Jean but I do like the look.. Didn't say I'd use it for here though!!!! LOLOL My calico cat would have a field day...
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 22, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #8977535

Very nice everyone. I take a peak every day. The white fabric with the blue snowflakes didn't really match the dark fabric that I really like. I will take the dark to the store, as one of you suggested, to match it up. In the meantime, I have been working on a little corner of the basement setting up the sewing machine and drawers, etc... It finally stopped snowing here, so hopefully I can get out this week and if I find fabric, I can start cutting!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 22, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #8977579

Love the quilts posted above. Cher, love the one you are doing for your Aunt...if she doesn't like it then you are more than welcome to call me "Aunt". LOL
Gloria the Durango quilt just zings----love the colors with the black!!! Might better make that 3 6pks with all that work to be done. I, too, am finding myself being drawn more and more to pinwheels--is it contagious?

Well Barb you are lucky you can have the Kahlua--nope not here! I can get sleepy just smelling the bottle.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
1:44 PM

Post #8977855

I have a long hair calico that sheds like NOBODY's business! If don't look closely at my big black and floral area rug 8 x 10, you might step on her! Who would have thought that a floral area rug would be good camoflage for cat?? With her white, oranges and blacks she hides REALLY well on that rug! I recently looked at the valance in my sewing room and realized it's a MESS with all her hair on it! I have shelves under the window and when she's at the window looking out, the valance is next to her. I love my cat but... I'm not sure how many years it would take me to replace her if she were gone..

Thank you all for sharing your pictures, I enjoy them soooooo much!! BEAUTIFUL work going on!

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
5:48 PM

Post #8978209

Love the Quilts M&M. Barb... Kaluha... Went to key West with a couple of friends when I was 35 and just out of a 7 yr relationship. There's a bar there that sells only frozen drinks, all in Slushy-type machines, and they're very generous. I LOVE white russians and they had that... tasted like a milk shake. After I was into my second one, we went to the jewelry store next door. That's how I got my ear pierced. I have such good friends... they kinda knew that I was a lightweight with alcohol. In undergrad, my frat brothers called me 'Two Brew Stu'. I had been considering an ear piercing, but was too uptight to get it. Thankfully, I never had a desire for a tattoo...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 22, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #8978243

White Russians were my best friend's drink of choice when we were stationed in Monterey, CA. I stuck with Kahlua on the rocks. We would walk down the hill to the club and I don't have a clue how we managed to get back up that hill afterward. The good-ol-days!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #8978563

I like Kahlua any way I have it. Straight, on the rocks, as a sombrero, in a White Russian or any other way you can think of. Oh and also in my coffee after dinner... Can you tell I enjoy it? And to think I may have 4-6 drinks a year now at best!!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
5:12 AM

Post #8978588

Morning Barb. Foggy here in FL. Hard to believe I'll be heading back to the COLD North tomorrow afternoon. Time in FL has gone by way too quickly.
I need to go thru some of the fabric here & decide what needs to go back with me. Actually, next time I come down I need to bring some rotary cutters and cutting mat so I can take back just what I need. I found an interesting pattern using B/W and then BRIGHTS. I think I'll give it a try. In 1 of these boxes is by BW collection.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #8978592

Happy Chinese New Year to All !!!!
Year of the Dragon is to bring Good Luck.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #8978711

Ditto to what Jean said about the fog!! It is horrible up here..scares me with my daughter leaving so early for work and the road she goes!! Just won't think about that.

Okay, so no one mention Kahlua cake!! Oh my so good --will share recipe if any interested.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 23, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #8978804

Foggy here to and does not look like it will go away.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #8978832

Kaluha baked beans- very good.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #8978939

fog here has finally cleared, I am there with ya on the ride in Marion...my son drives scooter to work in the fog YIKES!!!!

My Momma used to make a Harvey Wallbanger cake !!! had a couple different kinds of liquor in it.

I cleaned in my sewing room yesterday, found my cutting mat...only to bury it again with fabrics pulled for next couple projects,making a block to go into a friendship quilt for someone just had a hip replacement, in another building. Making some blocks to trade with Mittsy for some more of her beautiful embroidery :-)

hope to finally finish son #3 quilt, some time this week...only needs borders:: it has been very hard to choose fabrics. After that?? lots of possibilities. Christmas blocks, Malena's butterflies...waiting for ordered fabrics, to join in on an online sew a long...yup lots to do...best I get at it...

Y'all have a great day
Happy Stitchin
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #8978969

Now that the fog is gone it is FABULOUS out. Heading out to enjoy the day, rake in hand.

Kahlua over vanilla (or coffee) ice cream!!!!! That used to be our "treat" my 1st tour in Korea. The Club had the blocks of vanilla ice cream for 25 cents. That was about it for any type of desert. No choc topping so we improvised. That was way back in '77. We would get off work at 11PM and head to the Club for "desert".
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #8978974

Fog has cleared here also and the sun is out. Haven't seen the sun in about 3 days ...wish I could head outside with rake in hand!!! To much to do inside as I will be going south again sometime next week.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #8979434

Kahlua Cake!!!!! I would love the recipe!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #8979450

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,193,148167-233203,00.html this is one

Go to your liquor store and ask for the Kaluha cooking and drinks booklet. They are free. Many nice recipes.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #8979473

Qwilter. About the Durango Pinwheel... I think the basic pattern is called 'Ships at Sea'. Not sure, but I'll see if I can find one. Would a close up photo help? I'll have to measure it, can't remember the size. Maybe I'll make one up with pictures.
Got a big kick out of your trip back up the hill...
FlStu, I really laughed about your ear piercing...
Aren't friends a lot of fun?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #8979540

I would love any Kahlua recipes. I'll send an email address if you would like...Just let me know...
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 23, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #8979543

Can say that is one drink I have never had. May need to try it.
I really like fuzzy navels...yum.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 23, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #8979550

It is a coffee flavored liquor and really does taste great over vanilla or coffee ice cream...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #8979765

Just like Bailey's but different taste. Yum!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #8979826

I need some opinions again- I just found lots of tie-dyed & batiks, and have made LOTS of 5" squares. Tell me if there is any promise in this type of D9P, or should I forget it? There are many different cloor combinations.

Thumbnail by JoParrott

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 23, 2012
6:06 PM

Post #8979849

Ilike it Jo itgives a scrappy look just what I did with the Moda Fabric
Cher
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #8979924

Barb, the link Helene posted is the same recipe I use...got mine from Southern Living many, many moons ago. I am sure you will enjoy the cake!!!!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 23, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #8979935

get the booklet at your local liq. store. I know I used to own one (store that is) and they are free. Baked beans out of this realm...Cake good too. Coffee Liq in K-cups to die for.Not for AM use...

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 23, 2012
9:45 PM

Post #8980044

I like it Jo and I think I'd like it even better combined with some quieter fabrics, not all so bold.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 24, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #8980097

Jo I like the colors.If you have a few done just lay them out and look at them.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #8980159

Jo - since the fabrics are so scrappy perhaps just a 9 patch and separate them with a thin dark sashing. I don't think you'd get the D9P effect without having a focus fabric.

Gloria - I'm guessing the 1/2 sq triangles are 1 1/2" or less and just put around a large 1/2 sq triangle. I just need to locate that are large enough to get the large triangle cut.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2012

Post #8980190

Or maybe a plain solid in the center of the 9 patch which would become your small blocks in a D9P. It would give some continuity to it...

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 24, 2012
5:24 AM

Post #8980199

Yes, that was the problem I had with my fabrics you really have to look to see the D9P but it was a little more visible when I used the solid color sash.
I like that Idea too Barb the solid color will make them pop.
Cher

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #8980288

I usually only turn two of the quarters, upper right and lower left. That way there is continuity in the placement of the small squares. You could turn all four as long as you give them each the same turn. Or turn any other two for that matter.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #8980634

Jo... really it's what's right for you. A D9P can show a pattern or not, depending on what you like. Another option is to keep one color more to one end of the block and another towards the other end, then match the blocks up like dominos so that similar colors meet. It can be a neat effect and with hues of yellows, blues, greens, etc, the pieces within the color area don't have to be identical, just blend together. But, if you like the blocks the way you have them, that's all that really matters. Eventually, you'll experiment with the effects of center blocks, pattern changes, etc. as you get more comfortable playing.

Edited to say: That's my opinion only. .

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 1:54 PM
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #8980648

What a good mix of suggestions and opinions- that's exactly what I wanted. And, Stu- what you said is the way I feel- it is mine, and whatever feels right is what I will do. I think that is the reason I have resisted making quilts all these years is because I just can't be boxed in to following rules ans set patterns. So I will give it some thought and carry on- thanks to every one of you!!!

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2012
11:06 AM

Post #8980652

I like it the way you have it in the pics,Jo.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #8980703

...and doing the way that pleases us is what makes creative quilts. Besides, aren't rules only made to be broken? LOL

Has anyone heard how Thunder's husband surgery went today?

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #8980840

Nothing yet Marion, it may be awhile before he is out of recovery and back to his room.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #8980881

Jo, whether you use patterns or not, you ARE still required to share pictures and stories. That's the other thing that makes quilting fun.

BTW, just have to say that I didn't know that I was in the company of so many lushes... Kahlua in cake, on ice cream, straight up, on the lanai, while taking a bubble bath, just for the heck of it... Boy, I new I came to the right forum.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #8980886

...and we haven't even mentioning the Bailey's. LOL

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 5:24 PM

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 24, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #8980912

Jo our differences are what make us special, how dull it would be if everything had to be the same. Rules were meant to be broken.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2012

Post #8980930

To Stu and everyone else-- I am LOVING this thread- I think I have found my soulmates here! (I wanted to make a comment about the alcohol, but being a newbie here I was afraid I might get misunderstood)- I love Kahlua and Bailey's and all other "sissy" drinks! My problem is that ever since I had an allergic reaction to sulfa drugs about a year ago, any alcohol makes my face burn intensly- But sometimes I sip one anyway, especially if I have had a rough day... Stu, I promise I will send photos as I go along.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2012
3:21 PM

Post #8980939

When all is said and done, whichever pattern, regardless of fabrics used they are all treasures...

Keep looking at all Christmas fabrics I've left so today I went pattern searching..found one that is a table runner, middle insert ' poinsettia' could be made into placemats..ordered pattern only to see its spectacular color of middle poinsettia and fading side ones is best done in batiques..no batiques of required colors do I have... good reason to shop at Joann's in the next week or so..never fails..you always need what you don't have!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #8981005

Well, the winter boredom got to me, so I dug out this UFO from last year. I totally invented it- I wanted a bedspread for my queen bed, that will go way down to the floor, so it's well over 100" both ways. I do not like 4 or 8 point stars, so I designed this hexagon pinwheel. (I have discovered that hex is so much harder then octo-) It is partly sewed together, and partly pinned. With all the folding and wrinkles it's not too easy to see, but you can get the idea. After having it packed up for a year it was hard to see what went where! (all the rows are not in place yet.)Now I have a lot of sewing to do. The solid dark blue center blocks will have some sort of machine embroidered motif- don't know yet. Machine embroidery is another of my passions, along with gardening.

This message was edited Jan 24, 2012 4:14 PM

Thumbnail by JoParrott

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #8981022

Hubs surgery went very well !! thanks for the thoughts and prayers :) the doc said it was a "clean and easy operation" "should alleviate quite a bit of his constant pain" :-) neither one of us got much sleep last night, so I sure hope we can both get some tonight...He is at the hospital, and will most likely have to stay tomorrow night too :( all depends on how he does in physical therapy...

I am very tired, and could probably fall to sleep quite easily...but I am afraid I will sleep a few hours and then wake up and not be able to get back to sleep, so I am forcing myself to stay up a while longer...

Betty that runner is gonna be gorgeous!!

Jo I love the batiks blocks...the important thing is do you??? if so...go for it...
this is one I did for one of my boys, wild and crazy ! ! Just like he is ! ! only sense to it is I used a green for every center in the 9 P, turned those puppies every which way...totally made with scraps.

Thumbnail by barefootT

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

January 24, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #8981028

Thunder, that's great news- hope it continues to improve. I love your wild colors in your quilt. And thanks for the affirmation on my batiks. I guess it's on the back burner awhile while I work on the bedspread blocks.Now that the guest room floor is covered with it, I kinda have to do something to it!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 24, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #8981030

Glad hubby's surgery went well Thunder...now to keep him from doing much while he recuperates...love how you are so bold with colors..eye catching!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #8981178

Thanks for the update Thunder. Glad to hear he is doing well.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 24, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #8981379

Thunder I do hope you BOTH get a good night's sleep and things just keep getting better!
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 25, 2012
2:58 AM

Post #8981432

Thunder good to hear surgery went well. Praying for speedy recovery. Oh I just love your bright colors.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #8981481

Very good news Thunder. Hope he continues to do well and you get some rest!! Can't have you getting down.

Jo I love the picture you posted today. Beeeautiful!!!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
4:58 AM

Post #8981482

Jo - love the hexagons. F&P program a couple weeks ago did a log cabin type quilt with the hex as the center. It's also in a recent mag.

Thunder - glad to hear you & DH are doing well.

I need to hit the road and survive a drive on the DC belt way!!!!!
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2012
5:23 AM

Post #8981499

Today is the deadline for photos to be submitted for an upcoming quilt show. I took these photos of my friend Irene's latest works. This is for her grandson Cooper. Leftovers from other quilts? Bright and beautiful! Irene loves the high loft batting.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #8981505

The internet is slower than molasses today and i don't have the patience to just wait, so will only show a few pictures. This jellyroll strip quilt seems to be the "hot" pattern right now.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #8981511

This quilt was a mistake ( I don't know what it was supposed to look like) but Irene just went with it and it is very interesting.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #8981515

Hanging view. It is three dimensional with a lot of loose ends hanging out. I'm sorry I didn't capture the protrusions better.

This message was edited Jan 25, 2012 9:34 AM

Thumbnail by mittsy

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #8981555

Love those quilts!
Have a safe trip going through DC!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #8981571

Jean, careful please.

Nice pictures Mittsy. I like the black and pink quilt...very interesting. Glad to see you posting as I was thinking you hadn't been here in a while. Hope all is okay with your family.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #8981575

Oh wow, amazing but quite a head rush.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #8981592

I'm afraid I can't take all the confusion in the red/black/white one. My brain goes crazy when I look at very "busy" things. I love the colors and I love them together but I think I need some kind of pattern to follow with my eyes. It must be a vision thing I guess.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #8982295

Happy Robbie Burns Day!!
http://www.vancouverobserver.com/culture/2012/01/23/chinese-new-year-and-robbie-burns-day-gung-haggis-dinner-brings-cultures-together
(Combined with Chinese New Year LOL)
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
5:20 AM

Post #8982637

I already miss "Vacation". Getting up to the alarm hours before sun rise and having to do what others want me to do!!!!!
I do plan to spend a good part of the weekend quilting.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 26, 2012
8:26 AM

Post #8982868

I want a perm job where I Get vacation LOL

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

January 26, 2012
9:57 AM

Post #8982946

Glad to hear DH is doing well Thunder.
Cher

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #8982952

Me too!!!
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 26, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #8983456

mittsy - I really like those bright quilts.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #8983713

Hubs is home :-)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #8983807

Great news Thunder. Give him my best and hope he continues a great recovery.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 27, 2012
5:22 AM

Post #8983826

That is good news for sure. Hope the surgery has helped his pain.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #8983845

That is great news Thunder!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #8983866

Keeping him in my prayers for a speedy full recovery...He'll be back on the bike in no time..

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 27, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #8983979

So glad to hear he's home, Thunder! Now you can "nurse" him all he needs, and he'll get Sleep!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 27, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #8984260

Okay, here is one of the little baby quilts. I hand quilted around the animals.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #8984299

Catbird423 - So cute! I like the way you did the animals.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 27, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #8984360

Wishing Hubs a speedy recovery!
Robin, GREAT quilt!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

January 27, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #8984655

Wonderful to hear hubby is home Thunder..let's hope he behaves!

Love the quilt, can't you just see a little one laying comfy under it.

Hoping storms subside so I can do to buffalo in the morning...great sales at Joann's then add a 20% off entire order..

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #8985590

http://www.stumbleupon.com/su/1jZHHT/tlcstitches.blogspot.com/2010/07/faux-piped-binding-tutorial.html

Check this out, it's an awesome technique for binding.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #8985659

Thanks, Karen - I saved that.
It will help

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 28, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #8985688

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgAZ3_xdkGw&feature=related

Here's another neat link. We've seen this before but I feel it's worth reposting.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #8985904

Wow, thanks for sharing! That first one was my very first quilt block years ago, but I made it into a now tie, using different colors for the center and opposite corners.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 28, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #8985917

Wow, Wow, Wow - any level quilter can do this, for sure!! oh, wouldn't I love to have the time to do them...
Thank you so much for posting that link!
Have to pass it on to my cousin and sister Alice, who both quilt. They'll love this, I'm sure - if they didn't already know it lol
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #8987769

I have finished both of my grandson's Christmas quilts. I must say it feels wonderful to have a head start on Christmas 2012!. I wish to thank all my wonderful, generous online friends who swapped blocks or embroidery with me, I couldn't have done it without you.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #8987770

Jarrod's quilt

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #8987772

Back of quilt showing embroidery and Sheila's wonderful quilting.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #8987774

Embroidery close up 1

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #8987777

close up 2

Thumbnail by mittsy

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 30, 2012

Post #8987779

What lucky grandchildren you have Mittsy. Beautiful quilt.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012

Post #8987780

close up 3.
I'm now working on the last one for Hannah, age 5.

Thumbnail by mittsy

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 30, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #8987810

How cool your embroidery so closely matched the backing fabric.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 30, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #8987832

Fabulous!!
How odd though, that I can't see the pics (except for closeup #3) in the thread, but can if I click on them.
They are so kewl!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 30, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #8987919

Mittsy showing off the embroidery in the strip is so different - one of a kind- quilting is a nice job. Helene
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

January 30, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #8988040

beautiful quilts

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

January 30, 2012
8:46 PM

Post #8988899

Mittsy! I have not forgotten I owe you 3 Red and White blocks for the cats embroidery you did for me! They have me buried alive at work and I'm not getting any sewing done.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #8989087

Those came out so pretty Mittsy. The grands are going to just love them.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #8989262

The red and white quilt will be for me, so no rush. I did receive three wonderful blocks from Thea, yesterday. Thank you so much. Hannah's quilt will be just as wonderful as Taylor's, Jon's, and Jarrod's.

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #8989263

Thea 2

Thumbnail by mittsy

mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2012

Post #8989264

Thea 3 Aren't they wonderful?

Thumbnail by mittsy

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

January 31, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #8989279

Awwwww puppies, how perfect.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

January 31, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #8989297

I've been going thru this site this morning, it's been getting good reviews from another of my forums. Lots of nice fabrics, decent prices and they take PayPal, too...

http://www.quiltfabriccloseouts.com/

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #8989415

Very nice, Mittsy!!

Karen - hope to check the site out tonight, at home...

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #8989432

I started a new quilt this Saturday for my niece. This picture from a magazine was my inspiration.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

January 31, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #8989452

This is how the quilt looks so far. Yes I know the little square in the lower right corner is turned wrong, lol. I might leave it that way.

Thumbnail by Catbird423

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #8989476

qwilter, I haven't forgotten about the Durango Pinwheel, I've just been very busy. I will make up one to show how it is done. In one book the basic block is called 'Lost Ships'. The pinwheel is made with four Lost Ships blocks. Just as soon as I get the photos here on my computer I'll show them in greater detail.
mittsy, love the quilts you've made for the grandkids. You are one busy lady!! The penguins are so darned cute!!
thea, your blocks are wonderful! And very well made I might add.
catbird, that quilt for your niece is going to be fabulous!! Very striking.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

January 31, 2012
12:32 PM

Post #8989602

Catbird - ya know the old Amish women's saying? Goes something like this:
Every quilt must have a mistake in it, otherwise you're attempting to be perfect, and only GOD is perfect"

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 31, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #8989662

Kizmo wrote:I've been going thru this site this morning, it's been getting good reviews from another of my forums. Lots of nice fabrics, decent prices and they take PayPal, too...

http://www.quiltfabriccloseouts.com/[/quote]

I just bought a bunch of stuff from them. their clearance item prices are good and shipping is reasonable. Haven't gotten the fabric yet, but it's on its way.

This message was edited Jan 31, 2012 4:39 PM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #8989729

Okay everyone, you are really busting my budget with posting all these neat sites!!! LOL

Oh well, I will be in Punta Gorda for a week, leaving tomorrow, so with the limited time and computer access, I should be okay...but I did find a new quilt shop in the area. In fact, it is only 5 blocks from the nursing home. Now if Mom should take her afternoon nap...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

January 31, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #8989868

great job on those blocks Thea, Mittsy I am working on the ones I owe you..almost done, should happen tomorrow :) good Lord willin and the crick don't rise :)

Robin, that quilt is gonna be fantastic !

safe journey Marion.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2012
11:16 AM

Post #8990827

is this the same blocks as the durango???

http://www.modabakeshop.com/2011/12/go-tell-it-on-mountain.html

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #8990840

barefoot, no. That is a Delectable Mountain block. Try looking up a Lost Ships block. I found one last night but forgot to take note of where it was. Let me see if I can find it again.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2012
11:39 AM

Post #8990849

barefoot, I found it by just searching for the Lost Ships block. I'll have to have them side by side to see how they are different. I'm trying to get paper work done for our tax appointment next week but I keep thinking about this block! I think I'll work on the block first!!! I can always reschedule the appointment... Stay tuned...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #8990908

Forced myself to make this exactly by pattern and a bought quilt kit.Did 75% exactly. My first traditional whole quilt.
Have to put on outer border/batting back is light blue rose print and quilt green binding. Will be machine quilted as I didn't iron properly for hand quilting. Very romantic.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 1, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #8990917

Very nice Helene...

I found the Lost Ships. Your's jsut has more 1/2 sqs per side.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 1, 2012
12:47 PM

Post #8990925

Helene, that's beautiful
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

February 1, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #8991181

Helene that is just amazing and yes very romantic.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 1, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #8991324

just chimed in here, Thank you all.
Geez what I have learned from this project, again amazing. Buying a kit is beautiful. - this was on sale - but the way it's planned there is so much fabric left over. being frugal I am struggling with doing this again. whatever it's near perfect.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

February 1, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #8991377

Came out perfect from my view. Loverly work. Better to have more especially on those measure once cut twice days (not that we ever have those days lol). Catbird love your quilt and Wow on the inspirational creativity great work love it. Cher

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

February 1, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #8991391

This house is just a sick hole I have a nasty cold and sciatica and the 2 kids and DH have stomach flu aaaaarrrrrggghhh. Not getting much done this week. I wanted to bind that quilt for my aunt bit I decided to remove the quilting and try to fix it . I just couldn't live with it not up to my standards so pick pick pick ... Bad speller tonight

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 9:44 PM

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 1, 2012
7:17 PM

Post #8991441

siiiiiiiiiiiigh - Fabricland sent me a flyer... 50% off, BOBOF (or two or three free...), etc etc etc...
I WILL get the "buy 1 batting, get 2nd free" offer though... always run out of quilt bat but not fabric LOL

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 1, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #8991461

absolutely gor-ge-ous, Helene! Love those blues and greens with the floral focus! Very pretty for summer/spring...

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 2, 2012
1:58 AM

Post #8991660

Cher, sorry you're having such a poopy time... I have a bit of trouble with my sciatica also, which is why I'm up at this hour... It feels better at the moment but I'm wide awake. Try to put yourself 'in the zone' this week and don't fret about all the stuff you're not getting done. It will keep. Do just what you have to and try to rest. With 3 sick people, and yourself, to take care of you have your hands full. Be kind to yourself.
Helene, beautiful quilt. Ah, dreams of spring. Am I seeing pinwheels again!!??? lol

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 2, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #8991963

Thanks all - Lots of triangles. Ahhh d... that scant 1/4". Or perhaps hail that scant 1/4". All said it came out ok.Will use quilters Cream cotton batting.It'll keep the romance. I love that stuff.

cheriffic

cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

February 2, 2012
12:50 PM

Post #8992302

Thanks Gloria you take care of you too sciatica is so painful sometimes.

Helene I hear you on the scant 1/4 in I even bought the special scant 1/4 foot for my Babylock and my blocks always seem to come out a little smaller than 12.5 but yours looks like it came out just right.
Cher
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012

Post #8993017

Community service will be getting this quilt at the Rocket Quilter's next meeting. Made by the River Lakes group. 2 1/2" strips of various fabrics. Scrappy but very nice.

Thumbnail by mittsy

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #8993155

I like it Mittsy...And I'm sure they will too...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #8993181

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EomX7t7to_o

Check out the Jelly Roll Races.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

February 3, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #8993294

Jelly roll races that was fun to watch and see all the different outcomes.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #8993336

Just imagine, a quilt top in 35 minutes.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #8993465

I loved it!!!!! I have two jelly rolls here so I may just have to give this a try next week!!! I'll need to find some great music to play then. I think the music on that video would be enough to make me keep sewing!!!! Just loved the whole thing. Thanks Karen.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #8993515

I've never gotten a jelly roll but I think this looks like fun. I will file away the idea.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

February 3, 2012
3:30 PM

Post #8993708

I have a 1 1/2 inch jelly roll I bought last year love the colors but was not sure what to do with it. Thinking may try this...
So many projects.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #8994159

For the 1st time in forever I have a weekend with nothing on the calendar. So after a trip out for groceries I am free to just sew & quilt the weekend away!!!! l do have a JoAnn's coupon & could use some backing fabrics so I may need to head there later today.

And, with them calling for rain starting ~noon and then a wintery mess tomorrow AM turning back to rain, I think staying in sounds WONDERFUL. And I have pieces for at least 4 childrens quilts cut out & waiting to be attached.
Just watched a Fons & Ported episode where they were painting fabric. Had some "loud" floral B&W and then painted the flowers here & there and then embelished with accent stitching. Now that looked very interesting.
housse301
Lexington Park, MD

February 4, 2012
5:07 AM

Post #8994191

Jean that sounds like a good plan.
Wishing for snow and not the rain. I know, I know but the kids would love to play in it for just a day.
Happy sewing and relaxing...
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #8994434

So I went to the Commissary. Came home & unloaded groceries. DH informed me he needed batteries for his blood sugar tester so back out to Jo Ann's & then 2 stores to find batteries.
Home again to find out people want to come by to see the house btwn 5-6. So laundry moved along & got folded and some sweeping needed done. And I even stopped to have a sandwich.
Now, here it is 1PM and I'm just now heading down to do my quilting...

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 4, 2012
11:43 AM

Post #8994514

I just finished quilting a top made from the Floral block swap we did 2 summers back. Have had the top together forever but never got around to quilting it. It's so bright & springy & made me think of all of you.
I'll take pics after the binding is on.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #8994528

I could really use some bright and springy pictures... not having a good day.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #8994533

sorry to hear that Pat. Hope you and hubby are okay...
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #8995623

Hi all- I've been *away* for awhile- had my throat surgery and am recovered- back to stitching. Got some food for thought- I have my pinwheel bedquilt sewed and embroidered- ready for the next step. I have a thriftshop king sateen sheet I will use to back it-no batting-it will be a light bedspread. Since I figgered this out from scratch I have no guidelines- I think I want to do simple machine stitching- echo or stitch in the ditch- it is already busy enough. So how about some input- I will welcome all! When I pin should I do the center first, sew some then work my way out? I have zero experience here- All my patchwork has been small lap size or wallhanging- Thanks a bunch-Jo in foggy WA

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #8995646

You do want to start from the center & work out for pinning & sewing.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #8995658

Glad to hear you are healing Jo. Center out as already mentioned. I would question whether you REALLY want sateen... is it SLICK or just really high grade cotton? I thought I wanted satin once... I couldn't keep it on the bed! That is really turning out pretty.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #8995666

This is nice soft cotton sateen-not slick- I learned about that crawley stuff long ago! I have found some great sheets at thrift shops- people want polycotton- the good cotton ones don't sell!
Since I used ecru thread for the machine embroidery would that be best for all the other stitching? That is my thinking-?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #8995769

Got another top quilted today and binding on both I di dthis weekend. Thought I'd get some piecing done but that never happened. Never enough hours in a weekend.

jumper2

jumper2
Huron, OH
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #8995776

worked on a bathrobe for DS last night. took me awhile to find where I put the instructions. hope to finish it tonight.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 5, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #8995840

Jo, that top is beautiful!!! About the same color of thread that the embroidery is... I'm thinking it may 'hide' the embroidery. It is so beautiful. Maybe blue llike the block. I've never encountered that particular 'problem' so I'm not sure what I would do. I'm sure some of these quilters have had more experience in tha area.
Glad you are healing ok.

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #8995859

Pat, hope today was better for you.

Jo... You can really appreciate your Quilt now that it can be seen all the way open.

Yesterday, started and finished the front for the wall Q for Best of Opposite trophy for our Nationals this year. Started on the Best of Winners wall Q today and then will go on to the Best of Breed lap Q. Am also doing a Lap Q for the fundraising auction. Also yesterday, put the border on a sofa lap Q that I made for my SO. I had bought 36 nine patchs already made from Ebay cause I loved the fabrics she used. I quartered the blocks and then sewed the quarters all in the same orientation. Will post pics when I get to the camera sometime this week.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 5, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #8996146

Stuart, HOW do you get that much done in a weekend??? HOLY COW! LOL

Yes, today's a little better. I guess I have to give up and return to taking an antidepressants and I'm not happy about it... but come to think of I'm NOT happy NOT taking it either??!! Oh well. Life circumstances are just getting me down. My husband's reconstructive recovery is taking FOREVER and now he's having some respiratory issues.

Lucy, I hope your bathrobe comes out OK... My favorite collar is a shawl neck and I can never do those without the instructions RIGHT in front of me!

JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #8998175

I'm making progress-slowly. It isn't too difficult maneuvering it to machine stitch, since it has no batting- I'm about hafl done outlining the dk blue hexagons with a triple straight stitch to match the machine embroidery. I like it. Don't know what will be next- possibly just tying the centers of the pinwheels and tieing off on the back.

Thumbnail by JoParrott   Thumbnail by JoParrott
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2012
2:10 PM

Post #8998207

Could you do the same echo stitch in the light blue rectangles with a navy colored thread? That would sure be enough quilting...
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #8998328

Yes, I could- that would means thousands of times turning the mess around !!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #8998333

Not if you drop the feed dogs and use a darning foot and free motion stitching. Then you don't have to turn it at all.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 7, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #8998396

But I couldn't do the triple stitch that way- it goes backward then forward. I don't think I want to go to all that trouble! But thanks for the idea anyway.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 7, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #8998555

that "Mess" as you call it is quite gorgeous.
Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #8998886

JoParrott - Thankful your recovery is going well. Your new quilt is beautiful. I love the stitch design in the blue blocks.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #8999089

Is it the length of this thread that has started taking a long time to open up, or is it my imagination?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 8, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #8999127

Jo, we generally start a new thread at 200 replies (and we are 189) and you are welcome to jump in and start the next thread!

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #8999176

I am working on the back for a quilt. had various family members trace their hands and am putting them on the quilt back. I would like your opinion as to which of these two arrangements looks better, hands together or spread randomly? Thanks.

Thumbnail by Catbird423   Thumbnail by Catbird423

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #8999197

I'm going to try to send a photo from MY computer. Hopefully I've figured it out...This is a pic of Gordie. Nothing to do with quilting altho he is lying on a baby quilt...

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #8999202

Yay!! It workedd!!! Now if I can just remember how did it...
Catbird, I like the random setting. Great idea btw.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 8, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #8999212

I vote for the random arrangement- I don't care for much symmetry! Great idea, and nice work!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #8999300

I like the random hands too!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #8999381

Me three for the random placement!!! And I love Gordie!!!

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #8999483

Barb, Gordie was a real sweetheart, my best bud. He loved everyone and even people who professed to not liking cats liked him. I still have his sister Rosie, who looks so much like him except she has short hair. She had become quite a character now that she is the oldest...
Ok. Three is enough...

Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy   Thumbnail by morknotmindy

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #8999494

Love Rosie too Gloria... I still have my Callie but we lost Big last year. They were rescue cats and we had him for 5 years and now 6 for her. I'll have to go look for a good picture.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #8999910

Boy has everyone been busy this past week. Loved the video about the "jelly roll race"...hummmm might have to give that a try. Now let's see, that is project # 9,999...I think.

Had a good visit and birthday celebration with Mom, she is holding her own with the usual ups and downs.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #8999942

My vote is for random, and what a terrific idea.

This is my Oscar the Minor Weener, a mini doxie. He's staying with my aunt while I'm in TN. This is working so well for us all as my granddaughter isn't allowed to have pets where she lives. My aunt just lost her dog to old age and diabetes a while back and was missing her so much. She has always been very fond of Oscar and he is company for her now with my uncle in a care facility. This is sooo funny because every time I tried to put clothes on him, he would turn himself inside out trying to get out of them. Gee, I hope I'm going to get him back. LOL

This message was edited Feb 9, 2012 12:31 AM

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #8999999

Karen - I swear they know when and with whom to be good!!! She probably senses "I must be careful with this person" and so she is!!! So many animals have a sense of who to fool with and who not to fool with.. It amazes me.
mittsy
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
3:21 AM

Post #9000017

I, too, vote for random.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9000047

I started one of those jelly roll quilts yesterday. I'm up to sewing four and four together. I've been taking pictures which I'll show when I get it together...That first seam takes FOREVER but then every one after takes half the time of the one before...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9000092

Actually Barb, He knows which side his bread is buttered on. She has been crazy about him from the beginning. He's an unusual little dog, he loves the little kids, goes to them and lets them do as they will. He's very cuddly and loves to snuggle.

I'm wanting to make one of those jelly rolls one of these days.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9000172

I actually bought a Jelly Roll in JoAnn's last week. Needed a $35 purchase to use my $5 coupon and the JR was 30% off. The fabrics are yellow, black, white prints. And I have fabrics on hand to add to the mix. I also got the pre-cut hexagons to use for log cabin centers.

Now to find the time to sew!!!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9000187

Is anyone else having a hard time finding white on white fabrics? I have went to 3 stores last week end, while I was in San Antonio, and there are none to be found. Guess I'll have to shop online?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012

Post #9000218

It's all together!!! I just took each strip and turned it end to end. Next time I'll open them out and place them a bit better. I'm not too happy with how the green all ended up on one side. Not bad for only 5 seams to sew in the whole thing!!! I'd do it again checking as i go along...

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9000219

Next pictures: I still need to meausre it.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2012 10:23 AM

Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr   Thumbnail by Quilter5bdsr

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9000222

Looks like a great beach picnic quilt! Beautiful!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9000251

Very pretty Barb. I would like that yellow black and white.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9000272

It measures 64" across the strips and 55" in length. How big is a wheelchair quilt supposed to be? Maybe I could cut it in half and make two? Any suggestions?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9000280

Barb, I like the batiks- Do you sew the strips in the order they come off the roll? Are the ends cut on the bias already? Good job!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9000282

Barb - did you time yourself?????

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9000288

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EomX7t7to_o

Jo watch this video it shows how they are sewn together.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #9000304

Barb, that is really nice! I was thinking about trying it to make a wheelchair throw for my Mom. I would have to make an hers about 45" wide and long as she is in a special type that supports and cuddles her back and legs. I, too, am curious if you timed the process.

Jean, lucky you, our Joanne's very rarely have any jelly rolls. The one down where my Mom is carries jelly rolls but I didn't get to go this trip.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 9, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9000377

There were just a couple JRs in a bin where they had the pre-cut hexagons & triangle packs. Only saw them as I was standing in line to get fabric cut. Not in the fabric section but in isle with Buttons & ribbons.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9000408

Thanks Jean, I will check ours next time I go into town. I could have just not noticed them.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9000666

Including the time it takes to join the strips to each other (I did it on the slant as shown on the video.) It took me about 3.5 hours. Of course, my bobbin ran out and I wasn't aware so I sewed one strip twice. And then Norm called me for dinner. So I'm thinking the total was about three hours. I did not press after each seam - I'll do that before I decide what to do with it.
It still amazes me that there were only five seams to sew!!!!! As I said, the first one took forever and then each one the time is cut in half. I think if I make another one, when I get to the end of a strip and cut across the bottom, I will look and check color placement. I saved several pieces to use as a binding and two of them are green. I'm hoping some green binding in the areas that are soooo blue will even it off a bit.
Another thing with this one; this jelly roll had four and five strips of the same fabrics. I would like to try it again with one where all the strips are different. Also, I neglected to count how many strips I used!!!! Quite the learning experience...

FLStu

FLStu
Lowell, IN
(Zone 5b)

February 9, 2012
2:02 PM

Post #9000716

QWILTER- I love that yllw/grey/black and white JR fabric at joann's. ibought five JR of it on black Frdsay when they had them 40% off sale plus having a 20% entire purchse coupon.
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9000719

Well- My quilt is finished- almost. It is really rough and primitive- totally from my head, with no idea what to do as I went. I simply serged the edges and turned the hem under- didn't feel like doing a binding. Someday I will use dark blue thread and sew hand Candlewick stitches in the center of each pinwheel- there are nearly 60 of them, so it will be later. A friend suggested tying the centers, but I think candlewick will be prettier.- Will I need special thread for that ? I have done machine candlewick, but not hand. I used to have a friend who was a master at it, but I never paid any attention at the time!

Thumbnail by JoParrott   Thumbnail by JoParrott

abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9001011

How dramatic! Love it.

Tallulah_B

Tallulah_B
(Susan) Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

February 9, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9001196

Jo - it's beautiful! I too, like the drama!!!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 9, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9001240

Thanks, everybody- it was a lot of fun to make. I'll take a break before doing all the handwork knots.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2012
4:42 AM

Post #9001406

Stu - now I know where to go when I need more YWB fabric!!!!

I was thinking that JR race would be even scrappier if you cut each strip in 1/2 1st, then just mish mash reconnected everything and went along.

BTW Green Fairy quilts has 30% off all the pre-cuts!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9001455

They suggest you join them on the slant and I'd be afraid of losing a lot of yardage if I cut the strips in half first. Just a thought. I have a BIG stash and I'm thinking if I cut 2.5" off each piece, I should be able to something with it!! Whenever I buy for a project, I always add a bit extra for me. Anybody have an idea about the size for a wheelchair throw???

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9001456

Taters, eQuilters.com has lots of white on white. I've been looking for some to set a bunch of 30'd nine patches together and found a good selection there. Haven't picked out the one I want yet. To many choices!!! lol
Jo, your quilt is just outstanding! I think your idea of blue candlewicking is great! I don't know anything really about candlewicking. I think maybe pearl cotton would work and it comes in lots of colors so you should be able to find the right color. Or maybe a size 10 crochet cotton. Lizbeth makes a wonderful thread, lots of colors. I'll try to find that site again and give you the addy. I found it looking for tatting thread and spent lots of time drooling over all that beautiful thread.
Barb, just love that top!! I have a roll somewhere that I won in a drawing and haven't figured out what to do with it as it is not 'my' colors. Now I know what to make with it. Thanks for the inspiration! I'm on a roll!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9001465

You go girl!!!! I want to see a picture. I'm still amazed about how easy this was. Norm loves the quilt and was just as amazed as I. Now to figure a backing - maybe another one for that???

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9001494

Jo, the web site I used is ds9designs.com Now, how come I didn't remember that!? I'm a Star Trek fan for heaven's sake. lol I'll remember it now. If you just look for Lizbeth threads a whole bunch of sites come up.
Barb, I will take pictures. Getting them on MY computer is the trick. I've downloaded them onto a flashdrive from my husbands computer and am trying to learn how to get them out of that weird looking little thing so I can post them here on Dave's or send some in e-mail to whoever or just look at them. Sigh...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9001538

http://www.empirequilters.net/pg/service.html
This site has lots of info for charity quilts.

Nursing Home (Wheelchair) 36" x 36" No larger, please, as we do not want our beautiful quilts to get caught in the wheels.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

February 10, 2012

Post #9001549

Waving Marion, glad your visit with mom went well..

Not much in the line of jelly rolls here, hope I make it to Joann's before you all buy them out..drats,mif it weren't for fighting a co,d off I'd go in the morning!

Jo, love those vibrant colors..fantastic as is Barb's jelly roll top..

Talk about creative people, you put some of us to shame!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9001575

M n M... For photos, I've found the easiest way to put them in the puter and keep track of them was to right click on screen,(anywhere it's blank will do), click New..File..name it photos, and then just drag and drop all my photos in to it. I give each a unique name and they will be auto sorted alphabetically. To keep like photos together, I start their name with the same word I.E. Quilt,D9P or add the date.

For my great grands, I put their name first and then age if in months or the event. That way I can find any photo of any child more quickly. The same works for quilts or what ever.

Hope this is understandable and not too long winded.

morknotmindy

morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9001602

siliole, I'll give that a try when I get back from grocery shopping in Tucson. I need to stock up so I can concentrate on quilt stuff and not worry about what-the-heck-am-I-going-to-eat?! Found out yesterday that my cholestrol is to high so am stocking up on veggies and fruits. I knew this was coming... lol

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012

Post #9001611

Gee, re-reading that, it was a bit confusing. Of course you have to load them in first. If they are on a flashdrive, just plug it into a USB port and I believe they should open up on your screen. From there you should be able to drag and drop into the photo file.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9001900

Well, after Grandparents Day today I decided to stop by Joannes and check out their jelly rolls. NADA!!!!!!! I found precut everything but jelly rolls so guess I will check out Green Fairy Quilts and see if anything appeals to me. Maybe I should say, "doesn't appeal" to me to be truthful.

A note to anyone who I have been in touch with via emails. Yesterday my account was hacked and weird things were sent to a lot of people. If you happened to be one of them, please delete, it is trash, junk or just plain bad. Sorry and I hope no one had any problems if they did receive something.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9001961

Marion, change the password to your email and that will reduce future hacking now that they have got that figured out.

I got hacked a while back. "My account" sent out lots of junk including a link to porn for my adult son!! YIKES!! LOL I got this tongue in check "Thanks for thinking of me Mom!" from the son!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

February 10, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9002030

Luckily Pat, AOL contacted me and the password was change immediately as well as several other bits of information. LOL well at least he had a sense of humor about it.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 10, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #9002082

http://webstore.quiltropolis.net/stores_app/Browse_Item_Details.asp?Shopper_id=8653114125938653&Store_id=853&page_id=23&Item_ID=8900

here are some Moda "Jelly Rolls" good price.

An aquaintance - is curious in make the "Strip Challenge" so I have been shopping for strips for her...

Would this be easy enough for her 1st attempt at quilting.? Looking at the site I thought so? I mean I can guide her along.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

February 10, 2012

Post #9002153

I had fun with it Helene and she should be able to go with it. She may need some guidance in joining the strips together end to end. It is done on the slant. Other than that it is a piece of cake!!!!
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9002212

Not quilting, but sewing- I have to show off this set of floral embroidery designs I just stitched out. (They came from http://www.emblibrary.com/EL/Default.aspx on sale this week. I put them on some vintage muslin that hubby's aunt had- probably 70 years old- it's lovely! Have no idea what they will be- maybe a wall hanging? I can see them with some muted batiks-

This message was edited Feb 10, 2012 3:59 PM

Thumbnail by JoParrott

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

February 10, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #9002219

lovely Jo, what are the size of the designs?
JoParrott
Richland, WA
(Zone 7b)

February 10, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9002266

They fit in the 5x7" Baby Lock hoop. They are available larger, but that size is my favorite.

This message was edited Feb 10, 2012 4:59 PM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9002356

Oh JO!! those are WONDERFUL!!! You ladies are killing me with the embroidery work! (I WILL NOT be tempted to even peek at those machines... I WILL NOT...)

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2012
6:57 PM

Post #9002362

NEW thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1242063/

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

February 13, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9005925

New swap: 2.5 inch fabric strip http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1242558/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America