Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

What are you making? Winter 2012 Part 2

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Last page was gettting rather long and there is still a lot of winter left.

Came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236305/

This is a quilt top I made 5+ years ago. Finally got it quilted and gave it to a good friend for Christmas.

Thumbnail by Qwilter
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Love the pinwheels!

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

This is it so far cell phone pic doesn't show the bright colors too well. Inside the flowers I am going to embroider a tea pot my aunt loves tea pots . That is a good idea Stu pillows might be just the right touch thanks . Cher

Thumbnail by cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

That came over bad hmm

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

One more time

Thumbnail by cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

I guess it doesn't like cell phone pics Ill try with the flash if not I will try in am from computer

Thumbnail by cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

That was a little better I guess

The block is called "Winger Arrows" - a pinwheel with a Flying Geese block added at the end.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Wow and double wow, love it! Great use of leftover fabric pieces waiting to be treasures

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Very pretty quilter I bet your friend loved it.

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

"Winger Arrows" is very pretty. Looks like just 3 fabrics being used.

Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

nice job, Jo and Barb.

(thunder)Wildwood, FL(Zone 9a)

Marci Baker of the "not your grandmother's log cabin" is having a great book and pattern sale !!! I am getting some. sew if anyone wants to add to my order....the more that is ordered, the bigger the discount!!! some items are while supplies last, so we have to be quick....I will check in after work tonight and see if anyone wants to add to my order....I have just less than ten, so we can definitely get the first discount. $ 1 - 4 dollar items for 75cents !! 5 - 7 dollar items $2.00 I will have them sent to my house and then send on to you.

http://shop.online-quilting.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14

Victoria Harbour, ON

You are all so far ahead of me since Christmas,wanted to move on to something spring but here I am..no can move on until Christmas King Size Quilt is done...hmmm maybe in a few more weekends..

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

Betty - you are 11 months "ahead of schedule"!!!! What an accomplishment.

I have 90% of the laminate down in the 1st bedroom. I won't have a multi-tool till tomorrow and need that (to trim off the bottom of door frames) before I can finish.

Guess I'll have to start the 2nd room!!!!! It was supposed to be in the high 70s today but seems to be "stuck" at just 70 and overcast.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hmmm. Guess its how you look at it..wish I lived closer, you could use my tools and I'd even help! Did all my rooms and that of my SIL..maybe that is why I have bad wrists...hope you have help!

Help............what is Help????? I have a rubber mallet & pounding block, mitre saw....................... that is the "Help" I have!!!!!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Hummmmmmm.... I like being the "helper".... between my husband and the renter I rarely get to do the exciting part! LOL

Victoria Harbour, ON

The best part of reno's is when you can say you did it yourself..maybe I say that as there are no men in this household..if something doesn't get done I know whose fault it is!!

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Just need to put borders on this one and Rack er up
Cher

Thumbnail by cheriffic
(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Betty I love the fabric you used for your Christmas quilt Looks great
Cher

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

Beautiful, cher- so the blocks around the edge are all D9P-? and the center- are they appliques or fussy cuts from fabric? It's hard to tell from the photo. I like the sashing- I noticed you don't have sashing on the top and bottom-or am I seeing wrong? I am interested in having a center like that.

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Hi Jo, Yes the outsides are all D9P's, No there is no sashing on outside I am just going to put border around that. The center is all Rose of Sharon flowers fused I will machine applique those and the teapot is embroidered. I was going to border it in the same color as center but I might use the Dark purple instead.
Cher

Very nice job Cher. I think the purple border would look nice.

Richland, WA(Zone 7b)

It looks like there is sashing on the insides of the blocks running up and down but no sashing going across the insides of the blocks. Am I just confused? (wouldn't be anything new!)

Lexington Park, MD

Cher that is just beautiful and love the teapot.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Quilter, your "Winger Arrows" is lovely. Isn't it great to get something finished!!!!
Cheriffic,I love the teapot quilt! I also like teapots and cups and saucers and all things tea. If your aunt doesn't like it.........
betty, your Christmas quilt is going to be a stunner! Just think how good you are going to feel when it is done whenever you get the urge to start something else. I'm a fine one to talk about finishing something before I start another...... But, I am working on it. Really. I am. In fact, I'll show you.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

I made this one for a friend of my grand daughters whose father committed suicide a few months ago. My dil is making one with space aliens on it for her little brother. The fabric in this one was in a kit but I changed the pattern and managed to use nearly all the fabric. I had made 30 pinwheel blocks and finally decided to finish it last week. The first in a series (I hope!) of finished ufo's. The little blue chair is what I use to stand on to get the height I need to hang up the quilt top.

Thumbnail by morknotmindy
Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Another view. The backing is the same pink print that is on the border. I hope she likes pink! It is already to quilt. Yay! Yipee! (Doing mental cartwheels here) I just need to get a twin batt and a six pack of Corona and quilt it!

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Are you ready for another ufo? This one I started about four years ago and got as far as the first border and put it away because I didn't want to deal with it... !!!!????? I really, really like it. Just love the colors. Anyway, in my quest to get some things finished, I dug it out and have been working on it for the last two days. It is called 'Durango Pinwheels'. (Hmmmmm. Do I detect a theme here?) Getting the little blue pinwheels to come out half way right is very painstaking. At least for me. They are a long way from perfect but at least it will be done.

Oracle , AZ(Zone 8b)

Another view. I'd like this one to be king sized so I've been using lots of paper to figure out the borders...... Makes my head bone hurt.... Also trying to figure out what color of backing to use. I really like red, but would that be to much?! Maybe black? Also leaning to a good rich golden color. I also am planning on using black batting, Hobbs Heirloom 80/20. I can get that by the yard, 108" wide. Maybe I'd better get two six packs of Corona..... Tomorrow I'll be working on the borders again.

(Cheryl) Wilmington, MA

Wow morknotmindy your a busy quilter beautiful work.

No Jo you are not confused I did 2 1/2 inch sash between all D9P blocks the center block is the same fabric and I did not sash the outside I thought I would just be different and put the border right against the blocks. I may use the same fabric as sashing but I am leaning towards a different color.

LOL it may be up for grabs if she doesn't like it but she loves the scrappy look and teapots so I should be good. Although scrappy it ain't DH has no idea that I bought this fabric this way he thought I had collected it all. I think it best he think that instead I bought this line of fabric from Moda in F8 strips. I couldn't help it I just fell in love with this line it is called Terrain. Funny though the green center and sashing I did have in my stash and it is also Moda I just adore their fabric.
Cher

Can you get the Corona at the fabric store?? LOL I REALLY REALLY REALLY Like those two quilts!!! I've discovered I have a "thing" for pinwheels and variations of pinwheels. Something about them just sing!

(I favor BLACK backing for your quilt... or a black and cobalt print)

Gloria - LOVE both those quilts. The pink jsut screams "make a little girl happy". THe black with "jagged edges" is STUNNING. Do you remember what the pattern was? Or if you give me the size of the block I can probably figure it out. I'm always looking for a way to use left over fabrics and still ahve something a bit "complicated".

Glad to have you back with us!!!!

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Beautiful work Gloria. I love how your mind works!!!! If I had a Corona, I'd be out like a light and get nothing done! However a touch of Kahlua would be wonderful!!!!
I am gaining a whole new respect for black. It really makes that Durango pinwheels quilt.

My "problem" with black is 2 orange & 1 gray cats. Any dark color shows all the fur they seem to continually shed.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

That's my problem too Jean but I do like the look.. Didn't say I'd use it for here though!!!! LOLOL My calico cat would have a field day.....

Cuyahoga Falls, OH(Zone 5a)

Very nice everyone. I take a peak every day. The white fabric with the blue snowflakes didn't really match the dark fabric that I really like. I will take the dark to the store, as one of you suggested, to match it up. In the meantime, I have been working on a little corner of the basement setting up the sewing machine and drawers, etc... It finally stopped snowing here, so hopefully I can get out this week and if I find fabric, I can start cutting!

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Love the quilts posted above. Cher, love the one you are doing for your Aunt...if she doesn't like it then you are more than welcome to call me "Aunt". LOL
Gloria the Durango quilt just zings----love the colors with the black!!! Might better make that 3 6pks with all that work to be done. I, too, am finding myself being drawn more and more to pinwheels--is it contagious?

Well Barb you are lucky you can have the Kahlua--nope not here! I can get sleepy just smelling the bottle.

I have a long hair calico that sheds like NOBODY's business! If don't look closely at my big black and floral area rug 8 x 10, you might step on her! Who would have thought that a floral area rug would be good camoflage for cat?? With her white, oranges and blacks she hides REALLY well on that rug! I recently looked at the valance in my sewing room and realized it's a MESS with all her hair on it! I have shelves under the window and when she's at the window looking out, the valance is next to her. I love my cat but.... I'm not sure how many years it would take me to replace her if she were gone..

Thank you all for sharing your pictures, I enjoy them soooooo much!! BEAUTIFUL work going on!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.