Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Vegetables: Grow Bag Soil

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 12, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
lindaboom
New Harmony, UT
(Zone 5b)

January 21, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #8976556

Hi - I'm new to veggie gardening and plan to grow tomatoes and peppers in 10 gal. grow bags. I realize this question may lead to a zillion answers but I'll ask anyway. What is the preferred growing medium to use in the grow bags?

I'll be eternally greatful for all answers!!!
Linda

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 21, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #8977021

Recommendation is to use Potting MIX. Not potting soil. Mix is for containers -- soil is for in-ground or raised beds...

I use MG Potting Mix (without the moisture retention crystals...).

How many are you planning on using, and what type of tomatoes are you growing?

Linda
lindaboom
New Harmony, UT
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
8:29 AM

Post #8977534

Hi Gymgirl,
I'm planning on using six grow bags. Three for cherry tomato 'sun gold' and three for sweet pepper 'gypsy'. This is my first try and so I'm taking my entry into veggie gardening slowly.
Thanks for your help,
Linda
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #8978138

Linda, I second Gymgirl's recommendation. You do NOT want to use anything that has soil in it...container mix must be very light and allow for good root growth, without getting compacted. I've used Miracle Grow, Metro-Mix, and Pro-Mix. Miracle Grow is usually readily available (again, without the moisture crystals) and is fairly inexpensive compared to some of the other brands.
lindaboom
New Harmony, UT
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #8978147

Moms2goldens - MG potting mix (without crystals) it is. You gals make my life easier.
Thanks,
Linda
tarheel2az
Tonto Basin, AZ

January 23, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #8978602

mom2goldens wrote: You do NOT want to use anything that has soil in it...container mix must be very light and allow for good root growth, without getting compacted. .

Is compaction the main drawback to using soil?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 23, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #8978885

In a container, YES, YES, and, YES.

It chokes off the oxygenation, too.
KathyWid
Clover, SC

January 30, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #8988264

Also really important that you have a systematic watering plan! It's easy for all container tomatoes, including those in grow bags, to dry out.
http://www.tomatodirt.com/tomato-bags.html
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 16, 2012
8:59 AM

Post #9008749

For potato grow bags would you still recommend without moisture retention crystals?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

February 16, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9008835

Yes, same recommendation. Potato soil just needs to be kept moderately, and evenly moist.

Here's another container idea for your potatoes. Those are discarded washing machine tubs. I intend on painting them a nice bronze or copper at some point...

What kind of potatoes are you growing?

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl
Click an image for an enlarged view.

idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 17, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9009944

No potatoes yet. . just the bags. Last year I had trouble finding seed potatoes locally. Tried regular potatoes-BAD idea. What varieties are good and where do you find them? I'm not crazy about Yukon Golds, but open to any other ideas!
Those are cute containers! I unfortunately don't have anything like that.
petronius_ii
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7a)

February 18, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9010956

If you have a food co-op or natural foods type of store in your area, maybe a local farmer's market, they may have potatoes for sale as food that are eminently suitable for growing as well.

The important thing is, big chain grocery stores routinely spray their potatoes with a chemical that inhibits sprouting. This is so they won't sprout while the store still owns them. Other types of outlets may not have to do business the same way, and don't have to spray the chemical, so they don't.

The only potatoes I've ever grown were Yellow Finns from the food co-op. The same co-op sometimes has other kinds that might interest you, the blue potatoes, the red-fleshed varieties, the fingerlings. If you're going to go to that much trouble to grow your own, you might as well grow something splendid that you know you're really going to like. White-fleshed russets, after all, are still one of the cheapest kinds of food you can buy; you can buy them for a lot less money than you can grow them.

More from my POV on potatoes at:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9001936

idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

February 20, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9012919

Thanks so much. . .I will try our Good Foods Co-op-didn't think of that. . .excellent idea.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America