Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Recipes: Query- Corn meal mix .....

Communities > Forums > Recipes
bookmark
Forum: RecipesReplies: 52, Views: 382
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 22, 2012
1:02 PM

Post #8977801

Who out there uses the corn meal mix...instead of just straight corn meal? MIL gave us some, saying there is "bugs" in it. I looked into both bags...all I see are the little brown pieces of corn that are part of cornmeal. Now, I know she is used to using the little box mixes. so it may be just that.

I am wondering, the mix...with the added salt/baking powder etc...would even attract bugs. This stuff she gave me is not very old.
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 22, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #8977985

I use corn meal mix. The little brown specs are just part of it. If there are bugs, you'll be able to see the bugs; they're bigger than the usual specs. And they'll probably be moving.

Corn meal mix can get bugs too. I think the bug eggs are actually on the corn or the flour grain. With warm weather, they can hatch out, which is why you may not have bugs when you buy it, but acquire bugs later. I keep mine in the fridge to prevent them.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

January 22, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #8978003

I put every bag of flour, meal, or grain that I buy in the freezer for at least 4 days to kill any of the eggs (which are India Meal Moths). If a flour still has the "germ" I then keep them in either the fridge or the freezer because the oils in the germ can go rancid.

Funny story: When I was about 12, we stayed a few days out in the country with my step-mother's parents. She made rye bread sandwiches for lunch one day when a neighbor-boy was helping in the yard. I noticed the boy was picking at his bread, and he said he was "picking the bugs out" (the rye seeds). Apparently it was common to cook the weevily flour for whatever breads you were making... the weevils are protein, after all.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
3:25 AM

Post #8978503

That was exactly my thought too Butterflychaser. I know what regular plain cornmeal does, what it looks like. But MIL is in her 70's, so I'm pretty sure she just thought they were bugs. I told DH it looks just fine, and I'll use them up.
I keep all flours and ground grains in the freezer/fridge. The only exception is the jasmine rice. We use it up quick enough to miss the bugs, although, in previous years, I have had the rice go buggy.
I pic out bugs. I lived for 2 years on the Navy Base GTMO Cuba. We got all our food shipped in by cargo vessel, from Norfolk VA. By the time we got the supplies, the bugs had ate their fill, and packed up and left. I got used to alot of things down there...lol.

Thanks for the input!!

*edited for typos*

This message was edited Jan 23, 2012 10:32 AM
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
7:15 AM

Post #8978773

Bugs I just can't do...well...maybe, if they're covered in chocolate! LOL
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 23, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #8978806

[quote="ButterflyChaser"]Bugs I just can't do...well...maybe, if they're covered in chocolate! LOL[/quote]

But...but!!...shrimp and crabs are ...Bugs!!!! I just pretend they aren't...and munch away :D

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #8979624

I agree it's probably not bugs. And it doesn't always take long for stuff to get a critter. I opened up my flour canister the other day and found a bug in it. That bag of flour was dumped in there sometime after Christmas - less than a month ago. Freezing your meals and flours is a good idea. I keep my cornmeal in my freezer, because we don't use that much of it. But I get lazy about my flour because we tend to go through them pretty quick. If I didn't, I would definitely put them "on ice" for at least a few days.

Yeah, I try to not think about the family ties between my beloved skrimps and their landlocked cousins. (Actually I try to not think very hard about what role the shrimp play in the oceanic circle of life, either. It would probably be the end of our relationship if I did!)
ButterflyChaser
Northeast, AR
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #8979760

I eat breaded shrimp only; then I really don't know what I'm eating.

I went to a cajun crawfish boil once and the sight of the crawfish and all the people sucking the juice out of the brains made me sick! The cajun hosting the boil told me I MUST eat 11 crawfish before I could decide whether I liked them or not. Playing along, I ate the required 11...with my eyes closed...but I refused to suck the brains. And I've never eaten another crawfish since. My son, however, was hooked, and when he's in town, he likes to frequent a Chinese restaurant and get the crawfish and make a real display of eating them and sucking the brains. EEEEEWWWWW!

Frog legs are another thing I just can't acquire a taste for. Fish houses here serve them but frogs belong in my ponds, scarfing down the mosquitoes, not served up on my plate.

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 23, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #8979802

I love shrimp, prawns, crawfish, lobster and crab. (And clams, scallops and squid and all sorts of sea-faring things.) They're all different and all good in their own way. I'm not a big "suck the juice out" girl, but I do remember enjoying a mess of barbequed crawfish in the French Quarter and the fun we had playing puppeteer and ventriloquist with their googly eyes and heads. My sons still talk about that night and it's been a loooong time since that trip. :-)

moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 24, 2012
1:31 AM

Post #8980087

I have no problem eating boiled shrimp, steamed crabs..but I refuse to do the crawfish sucking head thing. I lived down on the gulf coast for 15 years, got to liking gumbo and almost everything.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

January 24, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #8980651

Crawfish do NOT have brains. If they did, they wouldn't get caught!

Actually, it's the roe and the fat we suck out...which is better than brains! LOL!
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2012
1:52 AM

Post #8981416

[quote="Gymgirl"]Crawfish do NOT have brains. If they did, they wouldn't get caught!

Actually, it's the roe and the fat we suck out...which is better than brains! LOL![/quote]

Still...NOT suckin'...roflmao

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2012
6:32 AM

Post #8981594

So...about that cornmeal. Have you used it yet? (Trying to get us back on topic - which may or may not work :-)
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 25, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #8981742

Going to use the cornmeal tonight. tonight is a good nice for cajun red beans and rice...and some cornbread.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #8983442

OK! I will jump in here...Far from the South...righjt here in Maryland--whee butchering the crabs rules the world...
People that have never picked crabs would think of this as cannibalism...

My favotite show on TV is either Andrew Zimmern or Anthony Burdane...

I like the Bizarre Foods show better...I drool at all the stuff he eats...it looks so great---
Freshly coked brains and bugs and "balls" of something killed just the morning of...
Larva picked out of a dead tree stump. Pork Belly--OH YEAH!!! We just call it bacon.

Hey! I am NOT a bizarre food eater. Very basic, actually--but I think my brain is dying to experience
something new-something different...
Everything on this show looks so appetizing...like a cow's head cooked in a hole in the ground overnight
and then having it's eyeballs sucked out as a favorite dish.
An Armadillo cooked in it's own shell. An Abalone cought in the waters of the Pacific--just ripped apart
and eaten raw...

Watching these shows does give me a new window of all the things that are edible that we throw away.
I sure would try many of them--if someone held my hand and said it was OK to do so...

WHY are we here,in the USA, so paranoid about foods??????

Gita

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #8983465

[quote="Terry"]I agree it's probably not bugs. And it doesn't always take long for stuff to get a critter. I opened up my flour canister the other day and found a bug in it. That bag of flour was dumped in there sometime after Christmas - less than a month ago. Freezing your meals and flours is a good idea. I keep my cornmeal in my freezer, because we don't use that much of it. But I get lazy about my flour because we tend to go through them pretty quick. If I didn't, I would definitely put them "on ice" for at least a few days.

Yeah, I try to not think about the family ties between my beloved skrimps and their landlocked cousins. (Actually I try to not think very hard about what role the shrimp play in the oceanic circle of life, either. It would probably be the end of our relationship if I did!)[/quote]

You can bring them home from the store, you know. Then, while the product sits in your cupboard, they multiply and get into other things that are not in hard plastic containers. At least, that is the kind of pantry bugs we have here. Freezing them is a good idea, Darius. Love that intense cold.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
5:17 PM

Post #8983471

[quote="moxies_garden"]Going to use the cornmeal tonight. tonight is a good nice for cajun red beans and rice...and some cornbread. [/quote]
Sounds really good, even though ours is rather mild. LOL

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 26, 2012
6:08 PM

Post #8983554

Hey, everyone...

I dealt with Pantry Moths for three years...It was exhausting and scary...

For 3 years--every day I came home, the first thing i did was lok at the ceilings to see the Moths.
Swatter in hand--I dispatched as many as I could. Checked every room, every wall and even everything in my pantry.
I had to open all the bags of flour and sugar and crackers...etc... Found them everywhere.

It got to the point that I could tell the Moths just by sight. Were they mating? Were they just born? Pregnant?

I ended up going through all the books and Magazines in my floor-to-ceiling shelves.
Looked through all my saved 30yrs. of "Geographics". Every magazine that had a Map in it (therefore a gap in the
pages), had the remnants of Larva in it. I found dead larva in my framed pictures and in the fur of stuffed animals I had saved.

BE SURE you do not keep any Bird seed and animal food in your house!!!!
This is where the Moths come from.

Ever walk down the aisle of dog and cat food in a store???? I bet you will see the moths flying around...
This is unavoidable--as the eggs get laid in the grains--and hatch way later...

Just play safe! No Bird Seed and NO dog/Cat food in your house!!!! Unless it is in an air-tight container.

Three years is a lot oftime to spend getting rid of Moths flying around your house!

Gita
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

January 27, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #8983738

Gita..I know what my problem was. I was born and raised a city gal, Midwest...our milk came from a carton, and the eggs from the store. My parents didn't eat different foods than the meat and potatoes. I had to learn the other foods, and acquire the taste for them. I love all sorts of world foods now...but still won't suck the head of a crawfsh. lol

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #8986775

Gita---I totally agree with the dog food and bird seed theory. I once had to hunt down the source of those icky critters and found them at last in a bag of dog food I had stored away and forgot about. Good Grief it was horrible in there!!
It went straight to the garbage can. Yuk. Then I had to go through everything in my cupboards. I discovered they can bore through plastic bags and cardboard boxes with ease. They make little shot holes you can see. So lots had to be thrown out. An expensive lesson, indeed. I bought one of those big cans with a tight lid to store the dog food in and I use lots of hard plastic or glass containers in my cupboards.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

January 29, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #8987252

beebonnet---

I ended up having to plastic bag all my "loose" staples in my pantry. Going through all and everything in the "dry foods"
category. It was an awful experience! Never want to go through that again.

SO! I started keeping my Bird Seed in my shed. Totally available to all kinds if bugs...
Sometimes--I would get small bags of Bird Seed on a great clearance. And--they would sit in my shed for ages.

OH, MY GOD! What I would see when I opened them!!!!!!
The contents would be enmeshed in a web sticky, moth webs. Disgusting!!!
I would just dump them all out in my back yard and let the critters go at it. Hope most of them met their Maker!

Pantry Moths are terrible!!!! Try not to "invite" them in your home and Pantry! You WILL regret it forever!!!!
They hide in every seed and every nook and every Pantry item

IF you do not use up your dry goods in a reasonable time--bag them all in plastic Zip-Loc bags,,

Gita

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2012
8:08 AM

Post #8993199

Live and learn, huh Gita?
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #8993360

I know it's a pantry...bu for roaches I use the Raid fumigator. It makes smoke, not oily fog...and gets into all the cracks and crevices really good. You might want to clean it out, the pantry...set 2 fumigators in it...and then seal the door with some plastic and tape. That should kill all of the moths etc...I would think. Just a suggestion.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 4, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #8994284

I freeze everything before I put it into sealed containers in my cabinets. One experience with buggy cornmeal and throwing out half of my food was enough for me.
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #8994470

Well...my experience is...when we lived overseas...GTMO...back in the early 80's...all of our food and supplies were bought states side, loaded onto a cargo ship...in Norfolk VA..then transported down to the base. Then, supplies had to be offloaded, sent to the stores, and the put on the shelf. We, the consumers...were then able to purchase. Many a time, I got my groceries home, and opened them to use them...all the bugs had gone. Molted...or died. Bug bodies. It took several months to get supplies to us. Most of us just learned to eat around the bugs.
doss
Stanford, CA
(Zone 9b)

February 6, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #8997298

I keep all of my flour, cornmeal etc. in containers after having an infestation. I also stopped buying from the store where I believe my original infestation came from. King Arthur Flour has very nice generous plastic buckets in various sizes. It's hard to find plastic containers big enough for even a 10 pound sack of flour.

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #8999600

I had not heard that dog/cat food could harber moths! We buy big bags of it and keep it in the house. We've done this for a number of years w/o problem. But I think we'll be getting some plastic tubs to put it in, just in case.

My mom made the mistake of keeping a bag of birdseed in the house. She had an awful mess of larvae in the rug, under that bag. We just keep ours out in the barn, in garbage cans. And we always keep all the flours & grains /rice in the freezer.

Tam

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

February 8, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #8999718

Tammy---

Please realize that plastic tubs do not seal completely. There is always air-space around the lid
for air circulation. This will NOT keep the Moths out! I know!!!!

These moths can squeeze into a space you could not get a knife-blade into,,,
I found them in framed pictures where there was NO break in the tape that keeps the back tightly
to the frame. Between the picture and the glass...
The whole 3 years of dealing with these were totally demoralizing and disgusting.

Here is an experiment for you------
This summer--as you walk through the aisles of pet food--in whatever store--look around.
You will see these moths flying around. Maybe, you just never noticed them.

You want to do a more disgusting test? Buy a small bag of bird seed--and keep it in your shed
for the summer. Then open it. It will have cob-web-like stuff all over the seed--full of the moths.

I believe that the moth eggs are laid in the seed--and hatch a year later. So--unless the manufacturer
chooses to sterilize the seed--the eggs will hatch and grow more moths...etc...etc...

I think freezing would kill them all. How big is your freezer????...:o)

Gita

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

February 8, 2012
6:23 PM

Post #8999758

Gita - you have scared me about this. We get a lot of the food from the vet - special diet food. Maybe that has been sterilized. And the other type we get from a pet store. Will have to ponder options. We do have a barn so we could stash it there but of course, then more bugs would have access to lay eggs.

Tam

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

February 8, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #8999818

Knock on wood, I work at a veterinary clinic and as much food as we store, we don't get bugs or moths. I have bought hundreds of pounds of food over the years and never had any issues with the pet food. Only the human food--go figure. I put my dry goods in Cambro plastic containers, freeze for 2-3 days and I've been fine after my one very unhappy incident.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 20, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9050162

Gotta jump in here . The eggs are already in the meal/ flour when it comes from the grain mill to be packaged . They are allowed a certain percentage of bug eggs before being rejected . General Mills had silos a block from my house as a kid growing up and they had a "bug room " where most but not all were separated out . When they start moving , I dump them , otherwise you eat them and never know the difference .
They are allowed a certain amount of rodent droppings too , ground up fine , of course , so can't be detected .

Sorry 'bout that ,
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 20, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9050269

Yep, all sorts of nasty stuff allowed in our food.

beebonnet

beebonnet
Coos Bay, OR
(Zone 9a)

March 22, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9053037

Yuk! I should grind my own. LOL
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 29, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9062349

The humor in this thread is a MIL that gifts a DIL food with portended bugs. That's food for thought. As for what's in your food...we grow a lot of our own food and I know there are bugs in it. That's the way it is. We are sharing our diet with other living organisms that eat the same food. Maybe if you eat food with enough chemicals poured on them you might be almost bug free. Otherwise, expect some extra protein with the veg.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 29, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9062361

Maypop---

Andrew Zimmern would support you 100%.
Just watching him eat all the stuff he does makes me want to try it as well.

Everything looks delectable. Gita

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 29, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9062383

Laurel - I was actually thinking the same thing. I find caterpillars on my kale and broccoli. I know I've gotten most of them off but have decided those I missed are just added protein. And that is a lot healthier than pesticides & fungicides that come with conventionally grown produce. BUT... I'd still prefer not to have bugs in my flour, corn meal & produce. :-)

Tam
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
1:28 AM

Post #9062785

[quote="MaypopLaurel"]The humor in this thread is a MIL that gifts a DIL food with portended bugs. That's food for thought. As for what's in your food...we grow a lot of our own food and I know there are bugs in it. That's the way it is. We are sharing our diet with other living organisms that eat the same food. Maybe if you eat food with enough chemicals poured on them you might be almost bug free. Otherwise, expect some extra protein with the veg.[/quote]

I know..that's one reason I posted about it. I knew better though, as I looked at the "portended bugs"...and figured they prob weren't "bugs".
As for MIL...she is harmless, really. She is just not as adventurous in cooking and eating as I am. So, I didn't take offense. She also said I could feed it to the chickens...but, chickens won't eat salty foods..and the mix...versus the meal..is salty.

Oh, and she usually uses the little boxes for cornbread. I don't know why she bought the mix...if she is not familiar with it. I have always cooked from scratch.

This message was edited Mar 30, 2012 3:29 AM

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 30, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9062986

[quote="MaypopLaurel"]The humor in this thread is a MIL that gifts a DIL food with portended bugs. That's food for thought. As for what's in your food...we grow a lot of our own food and I know there are bugs in it. That's the way it is. We are sharing our diet with other living organisms that eat the same food. Maybe if you eat food with enough chemicals poured on them you might be almost bug free. Otherwise, expect some extra protein with the veg.[/quote]

I'm really with you on this...people freak out when I eat lettuce or swiss chard with a hole from a bug on the leaf, but they'd rather eat some pesticide-laden food that is "perfect" in appearance. It's what led to those birdseed poisonings...people freak out over bugs in birdseed, bugs that birds will happily eat and that will add protein to their diet, and instead we have "perfect" birdseed that kills birds. Those bugs can invade human food, and some bugs carry disease, and that is certainly a consideration as well. I call it the "poison apple conundrum." Do we want that perfect, shiny poison apple or something that is less perfect but more healthy?
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9063165

Well I wasn't actually meaning to stand on a soap box, just to say that if you grow it they will come. :) My girlfriend canceled her CSA subscription after complaining that the veggies were dirty and she found some bugs. She stopped taking gift produce from me for the same reason. Mind you, my produce is washed coming out of the garden, just not soaked and sprayed. She's much happier with produce artfully balanced on styrofoam trays and over wrapped in cellophane. I'm happier playing in the dirt with my veggies.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 30, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9063194

Ha ha , Laurel , If you cook bugs , I will happily eat them , your produce suites me fine .
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9063219

My famous bug story was the dinner I hosted for a chef friend. We were sitting on the porch at Maypop enjoying a glass of wine when I called everyone in for the first course salad which had been set out earlier. We sat down and passed the condiments. While that was going on I noticed something moving on the table cloth. It was a snail out for a stroll. We all spotted it pretty much at the same time and, after some chortling, I remarked that the escargot did not get any fresher than at my house! You can douse the salad greens in a bunch of water and those snails are going to hang in there. Since they were baby greens I was serving them whole.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 30, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9063324

Snails happen.
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 30, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9063328

lol
moxies_garden
Batesburg, SC
(Zone 8a)

March 30, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9063442

Hmm...snails...=escargot. Have you looked at boiled shrimp? The black vein running down their back is...their digestive tract. I pull it out if I feel like it, but hey...it's boiled and sanitized ...lmao Bugs happen.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

March 30, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9063630

Being a vegetarian, I can avoid much of the super-creepy food items. One of the many reasons...lol

Tonight, I'm having a grilled cheese sandwich and pureed edamame soup.
Kamikid
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 20, 2012
7:20 AM

Post #9089997

My mother made the best cornbread. It was light and fluffy. Does anyone have theri favorite recipe. I love cornbread but can't make it like she did. I lost her in 2007. Elaine
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

April 20, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9090009

Try a batch with two eggs instead of one and use buttermilk . Might be just what you're looking for .
Kamikid
Thomasville, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 21, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9091776

I will try it tomorrow. Thanks Elaine
lovediggin
Bryan, TX

April 25, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9097196

My bug story is about a grocer in the small town that I lived in when I was a young woman. I noticed that the shelves where the flour and cornmeal was displayed always were white and powdery and I just thought it was poor housekeeping from leaking bags. The rest of the store was immaculate so finally I asked one of the owners about the powdery white substance. He said that it was was borax, as in 20 Mule Team Borax Laundry Booster. He said it kills the weevils and bugs and he was sure right!! I usually sprinkle a bit of borax in the shelves of my pantry and have not had an infestation since. You would have to keep it off the floor where any pet could get to. Great solution.
roadrunner
Hereford, AZ
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9097419

HMMMM...Question...can vegetarians eat bugs?? LOL Jo
MaypopLaurel
Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9097725

Not according to Jainists where every living soul has a soul. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jainism
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 19, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9129486

I use large 2 gallon glass jars that I got from a local restuaruant. The lids seal tight and keep my flour, sugar, pretzels, rice, and etc in great shape, with out the threat of bugs. Most places will give the jars to you if you ask.

Celene

Celene
Columbus, OH

May 19, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9129756

Not all vegetarians are Jains, who go to some pretty extreme lengths not to consume bugs, etc. While I don't relish the idea, I'm pretty confident that most prepared foods have a small proportion of bug parts. Not to mention that plants are grown from the biomass of the earth, which has millions of years of dead animals and plants, including bugs.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Recipes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Banana Split Cake / Personal Pizzas Gayl 1 Aug 14, 2012 9:18 AM
Recipes of ALL the USA States gardendragon 102 Jul 20, 2011 5:26 AM
Crescent Lasagna Nebraska_Jewel 3 Aug 22, 2011 6:35 PM
S.Louisiana Dirty Rice justmeLisa 68 Oct 6, 2010 7:51 PM
Just for GardenDragon Brook 6 Aug 18, 2012 2:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America