Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

bath tub caulk

Fuquay Varina, NC(Zone 7b)

What is the best brand of caulk to use on a porcelain tub with tile surround? I used a DAP product and it peeled right away. Any advise on brand and application would be most appreciated!

springfield area, MO(Zone 5b)

I'd also be glad to know. I have had a lot of trouble with the caulk around my tub. It cracks and shrinks and has to be redone often.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I don't know how DAP compares to other brands, but peeling up right away suggests it's a problem with how the surface was prepared ahead of time vs the brand of caulk that was chosen. If the surface wasn't cleaned properly the new caulk can't adhere. You may find this helpful: http://www.ehow.com/how_1000545_recaulk-bathtub-tub.html

Thank you ecrane so much! I printed the article and will show it to my husband. I didn't think to fill up the bathtub!! But it sure makes sense! Thanks again!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

The other important point in that article was about using the caulk remover, etc to thoroughly clean the surface after pulling out the old caulk...if you had silicone caulk on there before and don't do that step, filling up the tub won't solve your problem.

You read my mind! When I was showing my husband the article we both realized we hadnt used the caulk remover. Thanks again!

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Good luck!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.