AuthorContent
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 24, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #8980802

Good morning everyone.
I have moved us again. Thought it may be nice to sit and admire the rhodendrons. Not my garden but I wish it was.

It is a good morning here. Lovely and cool. I could feel the cooler air early this morning when I had to drag the blanket up over me.
So nice to be out in the morning when its like this. I have just been out to check on the babies and also the pots I covered with mesh & shadecloth. Mrs Blackbird has tried to get into them but has gone off in disgust.
I also moved her other favored pots. She had been digging in my pots of new nerines and tossed them out. Luckily I was able to get them back in and with the right labels. The pots will now stay in the greenhouse until they start shooting .
Luckily the birds cant get at the brom pots or they would be all over the place too.
I use the singular Mrs Blackbird, but actually there are quite of few of them out there.
They tend to stay around the house gardens as there is a lot more shelter for them, but they do move to the grapevines and fruit trees when things are ripe.

Hello to all those popping in today and I hope everyone is in good health. I see more rain up north so send a bit here . I'm sure you are all tired of being so wet.

I had better go and put up the signpost again or noone will find us. Have lovely day and enjoy your gardens.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset
Click the image for an enlarged view.

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 24, 2012
1:32 PM

Post #8980845

We came from here.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1236879/

Jean.

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 24, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #8980887

Well. the rain left and it was beautiful today, But still have a muddy mule. Got to get some fresh pic. I'm keeping up tho...

Thumbnail by ridesredmule

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 24, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #8981186

Very pretty place Jean...nice to sit in the garden here.

Jean, we had the same with a Guinea pig, we started with one white that we named Pearl, who was a round as a dinner plate within a couple of weeks and promptly produced, Daisy, Lily and Rhino...Rhino was a girl but she had a twist of fur on her forehead that looked like a rhino's horn...there was a boy too, but we found a home for him...they were very good pets and lived for a few years...nice memories,

The kids brought home mice over the school holidays once, never again...they increased very quickly and baby mice make me squeamish for some reason...baby birds don't bother me, but baby mice squirm all over each other...yuk.

Glad that you are getting some fine weather Charleen...Charley looks a bit tubby...too much good hay.

Karen, what fabulous photos, is that you in one of them?...I was taken in by the Lotus pic and forgot to go back and look at the big stinker...they are really great pics...well done

This message was edited Jan 25, 2012 3:37 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 24, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #8981385

I usually like to be bright and happy so I stay away when I don't feel like that.
I have the Blahs today.
Rained and drizzled all night and today, can't do a thing outside ...BLAH ! grumble.

Karen your pictures brightened me up finally, so thankyou, I do hope you are safe up there with the flooding and all, it's a real worry.The Pictures are Awesome !!!!

Muddy long ears ...he would be very muddy here too right now too ! (Hugs big fella).

Dianne I love Guinea Pigs(I used to breed them ) ...mice are cute but incontinent EWE, you see people holding them in their hands, they must not know about that. Did you know they say that there may be a link to the big C (breast) through mice with the same tumours. I don't know how they came to that conclusion but it's sort of scary- something to do with touching the doo doo or wee wee. No I don't like mice as pets, that musty smell is from the urine leakage and don't get me started on rats.
Oops sorry ! don't mean to rave on it must be cabin fever.

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 25, 2012
2:50 AM

Post #8981431

Hi everyone. I am so pleased you looked at the pics, especially after the adventure we had getting to it. I am so pleased I was in a position to see this amazing monster in the flesh. Yes, thats me in the pouring rain trying to look down the inside of the flower trying to avoid climbing up on the crates that are high enough to see inside easily. The smell must have been quite subdued by the pouring rain, but we found it does cling and we still get whiffs of it even after hair wash and shower and change of clothes.

The rain has eased off today but from the news I can see there was so much flooding. Like we need more flooding? Many schools were also closed. The one we passed on our way home had a car in the grounds that was underwater up to the windows. They won't be driving that home, I can tell you.

Maybe I shouldn't have put the lotus in the same message with the link, but to me those lotus look like angels in flight. So incredibly beautiful. Don't know what this is but the Catlans had it growing over their front gate arch (its a creeper).

Karen

This message was edited Jan 25, 2012 4:11 AM

This message was edited Jan 25, 2012 4:12 AM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #8981606

Love the color in that bloom. I love Amorps, I love the pictures...
part of Charley fluff is his winter fur, but he is not thin, at all.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 25, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #8981612

Happy Australia Day Everyone !
Have good one :-) Great Southern Land♫ ♪♥ (,) ♫♪♥

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 25, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #8981616

Australia the beautiful ...waving from Sydney !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 25, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #8981837

Gorgeous!!! Happy Australia Day, Everyone...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #8981896

Good grace to a great nation...happy thoughts to you all.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 25, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #8982005

Have a great Australia day all from Clifton Springs...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 25, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #8982025

Good morning everyone. ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪ Happy Australia Day ♫ ♬ ♪ ♩ ♭ ♪

The sun is out here so a lovely day in store. Not too hot .
I hope all those up in the wet are coping and are safe. I would help by taking lots of the water if I could.

Karen, I loved your pics of the amorph. I am glad mine dont grow that large. Arent the spots lovely on the trunks ?
I wouldnt like to be working in that nursery when the plant is flowering...phew...

Hello Charleen, Charley looks like he is thinking of mischief.
Hello Moon, hope you are not too cold there.

Hello to all popping in. I am off to water again and spray those mite critters.
Have a great day and stay safe. Heres something very Australian to nibble on... Lamingtons..
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 25, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #8982180

Happy Australia Day, everyone. Looks like the rain is holding off, for a while anyway. Showers and storms predicted, and at least some Aus Day celebrations have been cancelled. I think people are paranoid when it rains now because of the dreadful flooding that occurs. People still aren't back in their homes from last year's flood damages yet and others have had water through yet again.

Jean, isn't it strange. There are other, smaller versions of the corpse plant, and I believe they smell as bad, but I've never seen any, and the first one I got to see (and probably the last) was the big one. I am looking forward to seeing any pics taken by others of that one. I've heard of one on FB, a video, but am unable to see it. They may not get as many people in to view it as they'd thought simply because of the weather. A bit sad.

Interesting, they said they are not going to let this one go to seed. Once it does that, the plant sends up its leaves, then dies. By not letting it go to seed, it may flower again in a couple of years (better than waiting 15-25 years, whatever it takes). My experience with forced flowering like that is that the second flower is not as big or as well formed as the first. Maybe these are different though. The more mature bulb might produce a world record in size, weight, and height. Be interesting to find out. Apparently this one got close, but not quite a record.

Have a safe day, where ever you are.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 25, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #8982326

Awful top see Sue's lovely garden flooding :(
I hope she will be ok ...they can't get out of their driveway and the road is also under water.
I know we will all be thinking of her ... she has asked that we do a backwards rain dance for her, in order to send the rain away.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 25, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #8982364

Hey Karen, check these A. titanums out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amorphophallus_titanum

http://www.rbge.org.uk/about-us/news/stories/its-a-record-breaker-at-the-botanics
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 25, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #8982455

Chrissy, I will do a backwards rain dance for Sue . I'll even do it naked..lol

Not outside of course. Dont want to scare the birds.

Karen, I have 2 amorphophallus which grow bigger each year. At present about 18"tall.
They are not the large species in your pics.
This year one has 4 small ones around it. I will have to put them in bigger pots as they sink themselves down.
I also have a snake palm which looks very similar and as it never grew until this year, I forgot I even had it in the fern house.
The only flower I get from these smelly types so far , is my dracunculus.
There are the stapelias too, which also smell. None of these is so bad , I would get rid of them though. You really have to be close to the stapelia s& dracunculus .
They are definitely a talking point in a garden.
Jean.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 25, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #8982487

Jean, I had to look up dracunculus, as I've never heard of nor seen one. Shame it smells, as it is so unusual, I really like it. I do have one smelly stapeliad (actually it just finished flowering). Genny Catlan was showing us other amorphallus type plants that she has that are smaller than the A.T. These smelly flowers are so exotic, aren't they.

I too hope Sue can get out of her yard now. Been following her on FB. The pic looks just like the conditions we drove through to get home after seeing the AT in flower. One school had a car in the play ground that was in water up to its windows. Won't be driving that one home. My grand daughter's school closed too yesterday.

Moon, thank you for the links. I have so enjoyed reading up on these plants. That one says there are now up to 5 flowers across the world per year, grown in cultivation. Not many, is it. But not what you'd see growing in surburia. You'd be lynched because of the stench. I heard a story of one man growing one in his bathroom in a block of apartments. If it ever flowers, they will have to excavate the building (and those around it for a kilometer). Apparently the smell has been recorded at 1.6 km from the plant.

Hope everyone, everywhere has safe conditions especially driving. Apparently we are expecting more showers, and possible storms this evening, and I see the clouds are starting to gather again. Then more rain over the weekend.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 25, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #8982523

Hi everyone. Just passing through I'll be back later for a cuppa. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 26, 2012
1:26 AM

Post #8982548

27C here today but meant to change to rain tomorrow.
My garden will be happy if it does.
Shakes seem to have eased for now, the dog is calming down & the cat really can't care less now.
I noticed one of my penstemon cuttings has flowered & is the pink I was hoping for.
I took 4 cuttings, 1 from each plant in the RSA garden as I wasn't sure which was the pink & which was the purple that I gave them.
All 4 struck so I will have two purple to give away, don't need any more of that.
Hubby has booked us into a hotel in Blenheim for Waitangi weekend (5th Feb)
Be nice to get away!
Hope you all had a lovely Australia Day.
cheers - Teresa

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 26, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #8982619

Karen, a friend of mine had 4 of the smaller ones bloom at the same time. He got a notice from the postman that he would not be delivering the mail due to "disgustingly stinky flowers and too many D**N flies" grin. George had to move the pots to the back yard to get his mail again.

If all this rain would spread itself out, everyone would be in better shape instead of half fearing floods and the other half, fires.

Good thoughts to you all...

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 26, 2012
1:06 PM

Post #8983134

Good morning everyone. Quite cool again this morning. Hubby says we are in for a few cooler days but no rain in sight.
We had a quiet day yesterday. We dont go out to celebrate Australia Day, just relax at home.
I watered a few plants and picked up some of the pots Mrs Blackbird tossed around. I think she is paying me back for covering her favorite pots to dig in.
I found the group of small pots of cacti that sit in the old shadehouse had been pushed off their block of wood. She hadnt dug in any, just pushed them over the edge.
I bet she was laughing as she watched me picking them up.
I find that birds do have a very distinct set of moods and being mischevious is one of them. Our magpies are forever playing with things.
I cleaned up in the zygo house and had a large tray of empty pots, labels etc . I had put it on the ground near the shed to put away later but the maggies found it. They were picking up pots and carrying them around . Carting off the old labels and in general, just having fun.
Like a group of kids at a fun park.

I have to get out early today and dig some irises before the sun gets any warmer. I sold a lot of the odd ones from my dividing. .
I had to cut some of the epis back too , so sold the cuttings. Pays for more potting mix.

I hope the rain is easing a bit for all those in the affected areas. Its a pity Mother Nature cant get the rain more evenly distributed ..

Teresa, glad to hear the shaking has eased off . Pentsemons are lovely plants. My poor ones are looking very sad & dry, but will pick up later when rained on.

Moon, I can imagine the Posties disgust at the awful smell of those plants...Still, better than a growling dog near the letterbox.

Colleen, your comment on the fish caught by Brandon reminded me of my son 's first fish too. He was so excited. When we took a pic of it , I left his hand out of the pic and made the fish look enormous. I think he still has the pic after about 40 years.

Hello Karen, Chrissy, Anthony and Dianne. hope all is well in your areas.

Hello Charleen. I hope you gave Charley a large cookie form the kitchen.

Better get out as I want to spray early before the wind come sup.
Have great day.
Heres something nice for morning tea. Lovely Chocolate Eclairs.

Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #8983153

I went to my little Greenhouse and unzipped the door and took a deep Brug-ie breathe. Love the smell of them in there. They look pretty good but watered them. Think temps feel like Spring today. I bet summer will be horrid and hot!! But we have been getting some rain .
Here is picture we got of hail the other day. About the size of my thumbnail. It is gone now, all melted...

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 26, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #8983193

Good morning everyone. I did come back in for my cuppa yesterday but it was very quiet so I just sat in Jean's garden and drank it. It's cool here this morning but I think it will heat up later again. Come on next week for the plumber. It takes ages to get around and water everything. I just seem to finish and I need to start again. We have a dr's appointment this morning just to get a few things checked out . My sister has gone back home again. She goes back to work on Monday. I wish she would retire but she reckons she hasn't got enough money to retire on. How much is enough? She took another couple of broms back. She must be getting quite a collection now. She said they are very expensive in Adelaide. Must get moving. The boys are waiting for their breakfast and I need to have mine too. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 26, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #8983282

Good morning everyone. The respite from the rain only lasted one day. Its back again, but not so heavy at the moment. I so want to open my windows and let fresh air in, but only moisture comes in now, making all the soft furnishings and bedding damp. The walls alrady have black mould growing on them. More work to do, and another large bottle or two of vinegar. Mould really doesn't like vinegar.

Haven't been out to check the plants yet. Just waiting for the rain to ease off a bit more. There was a plant coming into flower for the first time, and I want to see if it is out yet. Not sure what it is. Could be a tillandsia, or it could be one of those unusual vrieseas.

Moon, I really have to sympathize with the postman, but glad the problem was solved simply. The smell seems to cling, and hang in the air. I agree with you about the rain spreading itself around evenly. The monsoon season is about on us now, so we can expect the north of Australia to be very wet for a few months. Seems we are getting more than a fair share of it too.

Charleen, we don't often see hail where I live, but every now and then we get some of the smaller stuff fall. I am glad we don't get the golf ball size they get at the coast. My foliage plants wouldn't take it. Sometimes I see ads for hail damaged cars and imagine whole open car sales yards with hail pelted roofs and bonnets.

Teresa, I do hope the shakes stop now. Enough is enough. I watch the earthquake watch page almost daily. Almost 200 earthquakes on it every week, but they include the small (2-3) quakes in America, which take up a lot of that number.

Hi to everyone else. I hope you all have a good day.
Karen

A bat plant in flower at the Catlans...

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 26, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #8983422

That little boy with the fish, Priceless, so cute.
Karen, love that Batplant bloom.
If there would have been plants in the garden, they wouldn't have any leaves, that hail came peppering down. I wouldn't want to be out in it either. I closed my back door and got pelleted a couple of times. If it were golf balls, it would kill a person I think...
Here it is on the back porch...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 26, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #8983610

Charleen, on Christmas day in Melbourne, they had golf ball sized hail and thousands of cars were badly damaged...our next door neighbour has to wait until May to have his repaired, there were so many...being Christmas day, a lot of people who live on the peninsula go back to Melbourne to be with their relatives...

Colleen, lovely pic...how was the pickled Carp?

Moon. I forgot to mention your pic of the beautiful hawk...lovely...we see our local ones overhead, but not that close...
Karen, the Bat Plant that I bought 12 months ago was growing well until one windy day it toppled off the table...it has since recovered, but hasn't flowered...hopefully next summer.

We had a lovely day yesterday, took mum down to the Geelong waterfront to have a look at all the festivities...mum loves watching the seaplanes and the helicopter, we both like watching the helicopter pilot...I think that I may have mentioned him before...lol
There were thousands of people there and it was a lovely day..the yachts were all there for the regatta
So colourful on the water...

Lovely to have those memories caught by the camera, Jean...nice that your son kept it..
Sounds as though you and Mrs Blackbird are very busy... :-)
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 26, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #8983627

If anyone is looking for me, I'll be laying back on that shady lounge in Diannes yard...lol

Dianne, tea & scones please. with a nice cuppa of course...

Jean
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 26, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #8983643

Chrissy, I do hope you are now feeling much better. Not fair to be sick.

Colleen, the look on your boy's face is priceless, with that fish.

I found out my mysterious plant was a vriesea, so have put it in the bromeliad section. Nice to know these things though.

Dianne, I'd never have seen the bat plant if not pointed out, as just its flower was poking out through the jungle of exotics there.

When I go to heaven, I want a place with no cleaning, and gardens that get the morning sun, and great soil to grow lots of exotics, and of course a large pond to grow lotus flowers. Yep, that sounds like heaven to me.

Karen
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 27, 2012
12:51 AM

Post #8983736

Thanks all you Easterners. We just had a lovely shower of rain and wind go through from the East. It's still 35C here but hopefully will cool down a bit now. More rain please. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 27, 2012
1:41 AM

Post #8983742

talk about famous last words, after saying the shakes had eased we were hit with a 4.6 tonight.
It really shook the lounge but my brother-in-law didn't feel it in the kitchen.
He knew we were having a shake as all the dishes rattled in the cupboards etc.
I have the entire weekend off & the weather is supposed to be good tomorrow so I will get out & play in the garden.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
4:38 AM

Post #8983792

Dianne, it is rare that I get to see one of our hawks that close. This one has been handing around quite a bit. I am hoping he is getting lots of moles and field mice and not too many frogs. Your tiger lilies look so bright and cheery.

I am sure the snowy egret is common in your coastal areas also, but this one has developed a love for my koi and goldfish...one of the cats is determined to catch this one.
http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/birds/great-egret/

This message was edited Jan 27, 2012 6:39 AM

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #8983800

Sorry about the shakes Teresa...almost have to be careful what you say...hope you have a lovely weekend off.

I second the no cleaning and lovely gardens, Karen. Sounds like paradise to me too.

Colleen, so glad you got some rain. Hope you and Jean both get more for your gardens. I think the look of pride on your young one's face must be universal with little boys. My little grandson sent this pic of his really big fish...

Hope you all have a lovely weekend.

Moon

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 27, 2012
12:11 PM

Post #8984332

Good morning everyone. Oh yes Moon, They are so proud aren't they? Look at that BIG fish. lol Well we didn't get very much rain but what we did get was lovely and has made everything bright and fresh. It's very humid here this morning and I've had to put the fan on out here. The birds are making a lovley noise this morning and the crickets? John reckons they are frogs, Have been going all night. I don't know if they are frogs because I never see what's making the noise. I hope they are frogs then that will mean that the ones that were born here last year are still here. There's at least 2 fish in the SH pond and several yabbies so they have been all hiding well. Cameren is out there looking several times a day and races back inside for me to go and look. 2 more days and then back for the new year at school. I hope they settle back down quickly this year after the "Mother" incident. You know that I found out that she's only about 5 miles from here. I can't believe that she didn't come to see them for their birthdays. Well the tanks will be here on Monday and the plumber will be here too. Yipee!!! I can't wait. The amount of water that I've put on the garden the past week would fill the Murray I reckon. Everything is sunburnt including a few of the broms. I might have to put sunscreen on them. Be back later. Colleen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
12:23 PM

Post #8984349

I do understand your frustration with the "mother", Colleen...my GS's "incubator" did the same thing to him...I guess 5 miles is just too far away for these females to show the "love" they profess to have for the children they bore. (insert many expletives here)

And yes, I thought from Aidan's phone conversation that he had an "eating" size fish...had quite a loving laugh when I saw the picture...but the smile on his face is priceless to me.

I know you are excited that the tanks and the plumber will finally arrive.

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 27, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #8984403

Good morning everyone. Back to a very warm morning . Colleen, dont thank me for any rain, I forget what that is...
It must have been a lost cloud from up north.
Still, we are lucky not to be in Perth. My son told me last night they are having temps over 40C for days. Apparently a record even for over there.

Love those 'giant' fish pics. To the young fishermen, they are huge . Who cares what the fish is as long as its something they caught .
Two of my kids would sit all day on the wharf , fishing.
My oldest son still loves his fishing.

Hello Moon. Eating size fish ? Well, to him it would have been ...lol... I hope his mum cooked it for him.
We see lots of those egrets when ever there is plenty of water laying around after the winter/spring rain , also lots of black swans. ibis and ducks.

Teresa, sorry to hear of even more strong shakes. You will be feeling like a wobbly jelly by now. Hope the cat & Copper are not too upset.

Karen, those bat plants are so eerie looking arent they ? My son in Darwin grows them . Of course up there, they are like weeds.
So are orchids, as he delights in telling me.

Hello Anthony. How are your liliums now ? Must be just about done .
I have been having an argument with Mrs Blackbird over a few of mine. She thinks they look better tossed on the ground. I like them in the pot.
So far we are even, but I am going to cover the pot area with wire so I think I'll be the winner then.
Have to watch the rest of the garden then as she will move somewhere else for mischief.

Hello Chrissy, hope you are feeling much better and a bit drier too.

Hello Dianne, glad you enjoyed the day out with your Mum. No, you cant take that pilot home either. ...lol

Hello Charleen, glad you only had small hail. Hope Charley & friends got out of it.
Not nice having little icy bits tossed on you.

Have to move from here to get more watering done. I want to feed all the brugs again.

Have a great weekend. We are at the end of the first month of the year already. It will be Easter before we know it, then down hill to next Christmas.

Enjoy this treat with a nice morning cuppa. Pumpkin Spice Cake.
Happy day
Jean.

( look for the recipes for the delicious cakes on taste.com & joyofbaking,com)

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 27, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #8984423

Good morning all on this lovely morning...
Kettle is on Jean...cups are out..
Love the spice cake.

Colleen, glad that your tanks are finally arriving...my tank only has 60cms in it...we could certainly do with some rain.

Moon..."incubator"...how apt... :-)

My Crepe Myrtles are flowering beautifully now that they are 3yrs old...I need one more though..
When I look back at the garden from across the street...the planting is lopsided...so I will check out Bunnings this morning...

I am so glad to be able to tell you all that I am a mother...to a little watermelon...
With this hot/cold weather, I didn't think they would grow...but here is the living proof.
It's only about 10cms in circumference, but it's growing...yippee.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 27, 2012
2:18 PM

Post #8984492

Dianne, congratulations. What a beautiful little baby! I used to try to grow things here, but my broccoli were the size of peas, and my neighbour grew a watermelon the size of an orange.

Moon, it is lovely to see your bird pics and compare the types of birds we all have in our areas. The white egret always draws my attention. We also have one that is white with orangey/beige markings that follow the horses around. Unfortunately I have seen places where the ibis is taking over and destroying their habitat.

Jean, I remember as kids we would go fishing off the jetty. They only thing we ever caught were those fish that blow up, but we loved our fishing. Strangely enough, my daughter has inherited the passion too, yet we never went fishing when they were young as we weren't near water.

Chrissy, hope you are feeling much better by now.

Teresa, I guess Nature is still shaking her fist at the human race. I do hope she settles down soon. The earthquake map is looking rather scary at times. Enjoy your garden.

Moon, another delightful fishermans face. Love pics like that.

Charleen, a question. Do the mules go undercover when it hails? And has your muddy mule had a bath yet?

Barry will be down later, about lunch time, then we have some running about to do. Seem to spend my life waiting, waiting...

Karen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 27, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #8984548

Karen, Sometimes when it's raining they stand out in the rain=Bath. ☺
I bet they headed to the carport where we put the hay to be dry. It is sitting under the carport to keep dry but they (probably Charley) have one rolled off. He gets up onto the trailer. The big goofball!!! I noticed when I feed him this afternoon, they all have a new coat of muddy sand.
Maybe it keeps him warm in winter, cool in summer.
He also had a bite of cornbread, he loved it!!!
They will get their feet trimmed in March, they will get brushed down good and trimmed up including their manes. I'll chop them back...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #8984569

Good Morning to you all.

Lovely spice cake Jean...just perfect with my cinnamon coffee. Mrs.Blackbird is surely crafty critter. I thought you might enjoy this short clip of one making a tool to use to get at some food...incredibly smart bird.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fijuwTeoBt8

Congrats on the baby melon Dianne. keep us posted on how it grows. Ah yes, incubator is polite and so very apropos...her behaviour has certainly expanded my vocabulary.

Teresa, sorry you are getting more shakes.

Chrissy...good thoughts for good health and good weather.

Karen, we were really taken aback upon our first encounter with the Ibis in Australia. Here they are seen only in zoos...there, they tried to sit at the table with us...grin We also have a small egret called the Cattle egret . The common nickname for them is cowbirds, but we call them "Tractor Birds"...when the farmers are out cutting hay the little egrets follow right behind them snapping up insects...sometimes there will be dozens in the field and they do a funny dance with the tractors.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattle_Egret

and yes, that was a smile of pure joy on Aidan's little face. His little brother Ethan extracted as much joy just getting to hold the fishing pole.Grin

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 27, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #8984636

Moon, love the bird inventing a new tool. Smart devils arent they ?

Our blackbird here is a small bird and the females are brown.

Going out in the garden this morning, I surprised the culprit digging in a pot. It was Mr not Mrs.

The males are much more up front in coming around for food. The females a lot shyer.

Charleen, sounds like Charley isnt silly either when it comes to getting out of the weather.
Herse a pic of the Aussie blackbird. ( not my pic as they never sit still here long enough )

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 27, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #8984666

Back from Bunnings...boy it's hot out there...
I priced the mature Crepe Myrtles...and nearly fainted...$114.00...I think that I will wait until winter and buy a bare rooted one...very large for $60...
If you are starting a new garden, they are worth it...but I already have 5 and the most that I have paid is $40 for a 6ft one...

Aren't little kids a joy...where can I get a little kid to take fishing...lol

Back to the mundane now...hanging out the washing...
The cricket is almost over, Anthony...9 down...all out by lunch probably...
Have a good day everyone.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 27, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #8984840

mention of crepe myrtle jogged my memory on a question I have been meaning to ask.
Does anyone have a honey myrtle growing?
My old girl Chita was named Mingrin Honey Myrtle, the breeder used tree names for all of that litter.
I registered her son as Dalfyre Copper Beech...
I liked the idea of keeping the theme going.
If I ever have a property big enough I could plant a copper beech tree but don't know if honey myrtles are available (or would survive) here.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 28, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #8985024

Jean, Im still cruisin a nd still selling the odd lily pot,...Beautiful 'pink speciosums, just blooming ,and the last ''super huge'' longiflorum walked out the front gate with my best customer today,.,.a couple of oddities yet to bloom..,.,I pulled up all my daffs yesterday!-got burnt,..around the shoulders and neck,..,I seem to have a lot of 'animal dilemmas ' here at the moment.,Old Bubbles isnt far from the best 20 yrs shes seen,Cocky stays here at night [and loves it] Ive inherited a tame finch [zebra]who wont listen to my instructions,.Sooty wont leave me alone and we go for short walks in the bush,..,Things change!!-Anthony
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 28, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #8985585

Good morning everyone.. Phew...a hot night and very humid this morning.
We had 2 large drops of what hubby called rain. I think it was maybe a bird flying over that had a quick pee in flight...lol..
Aside from what I water ( pots, s/houses & brugs ) the whole place looks like a desert. Even the weeds have given up for a while.
It will all be lush & green again in a few months.
Do you realise it is only 4 weeks to autumn ?
Our summer , after starting later, usually goes into April here.

Anthony. I bet Cocky is loving it there with you ..Dont worry about the finch, it will have you trained in no time..
Bubbles has certainly seen a lot of years. . So sad when our animal friends get to the last stages of their lives.

Teresa, , I have 2 honey myrtles here. Hubby planted them years before I got here. They are nothing fancy, but do look quite nice in flower. These have a weeping habit.

Dianne, I bought a crepe myrtle from a local nursery about 8 years ago. The one I picked had to be ordered from the growers and when it arrived was not the right one. I planted it anyway and it sat there for a year or so, then just died. I was very disappointed.
I now have some tiny cutting grown ones in pots that seem to be going well.
I think the first one must have been too big and potbound. These little ones are getting acclimatised so hopefully will do okay.
I plan to put them in a group with some buddleias that are also small cutting grown ones.
Buddleias do like it here so I will have masses of butterflies .

Hello Chrissy, hope you are feeling better and able to get out a bit there.

Colleen, you will be thinking of a second storey on that shadehouse now with all your lovely broms..

Hello Moon and Charleen. Keep warm over there. Hugs for Charley.

I'm off outside. Have to water all the little fellas before the sun gets too much for them.
My cannas are loving this weather though and standing in their swimming pool . I have a white nearly out. Must take a pic soon.
Enjoy these Blueberry Bran Muffins.
Happy day..
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 28, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #8985679

Morning all...as Jean said...hot and humid...
I can hear the fog horns on the bay so it's very humid...

I thought that I would post this as a reminder, on community radio this morning they mentioned that now you are not able to bring in or remove plant material from the botanic gardens at Cranbourne and Melbourne...Geelong is ok at the moment, but I daresay it will not be long.

The problem is Myrtle Rust...it has been spreading over the last 12 months...it affects so many plants including Crepe Myrtles and Lilipillies..so you can see how destructive it will be and now it's in Victoria.

Have a look at this site...it is very desciptive...

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/forestry/pests-diseases-weeds/diseases/myrtle-rust

Dianne
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 28, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #8985713

Good morning everyone. Very humid here. We've had a little more rain overnight. The concrete is still wet this morning so must have been a nice shower. 25C already so going to not be nice unless the breeze picks up. Only one nice thing about humidity and that is my hair gets a bit curly and easy to manage and my skin goes lovely and soft instead of being parched. I got a few more Broms back into the SH. It's a long process sorting and cleaning and depupping as i go. Still will be nice when I eventually finish. The Crinum lilies are starting to flower. I love the way they just poke their heads through and have this beautiful flower. I moved a few cactus around yesterday too. I will have to move a 3metrex3metre bench of them to get the tanks to where we want them. They will be out from under the pine tree then anyway. Oh, I wish I had more room. No. then I'd probably just fill the extra space up too. Must go the boys are up, their last sleep in for a while. To bed early tonight, that's going to be a fight I know with the heat. It's not too bad with the fans going though. Be back later. Colleen

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 28, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #8985733

We have crepe myrtles, sometimes you can get seeds and grow them, sometimes they selfseed, I have several that have done it.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 28, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #8985819

Hi Charleen. Do the Crepe Myrtles grow quickly from seed and do they flower? Colleen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 28, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #8985842

I too have crepe myrtles and they do reseed, especially the older varieties. I usually try to get out after they bloom and deadhead as much as possible. One year we dug up and gave away over 20 seedlings. They shoot up quickly and usually will bloom the second year, but only a couple or so small inflors. A lot of their blooming depends on regular water...during the past couple years it was evident which ones got the best watering as they bloomed the heaviest.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 28, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #8985951

Love Crepe myrtles I don't want that rust anywhere near mine.
The wasps are out in force, I hate being stung, so I am inside until the rain drives them away.

I hope everyone is having a good day/evening,
Can't believe it's only a month until Autumn Jean, it's been an impossible Summer here.
Another month of rain they say (for my area).
If the drought comes back next Summer it will be a very dangerous place with all the extra fuel that has grown from all this rain.
It's Australia, and I guess that is just the usual pattern, you don't notice so much in the urban situation, but out in the rural areas I guess that is the price we pay for a great life.
Most of us live rural here I think.
I wouldn't swap it for quids. :-)

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 28, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #8986066

False alarm on the Crepe Myrtles,
Lucas pointed this out...
All members of the Myrtaceae plant family are potential hosts of myrtle rust. It attacks young, soft, actively growing leaves, shoot tips and young stems, as well as the fruits and flowers of susceptible plants.
Plants at risk include gum trees, bottlebrush, tea tree, lilly pilly, paperbark, myrtle, guava, rose apple, brush box and New Zealand Christmas bush.

Plants not in the Myrtaceae family and therefore not affected by myrtle rust include roses, fruit trees, vegetables, camellias, grevilleas, crepe myrtle and wattles.

In other words crepe myrtles aren't myrtles at all...
Dianne
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

January 29, 2012
2:23 AM

Post #8986215

Erection of the $92 pool today.,..,!/2 in the garage, !/2 out.,32 degrees.absolutely fried any lilium bloom in sight,...I wallowed around like a "cool walrus',.much to my neighbors disbelieff[but they were probably jealous of my beautiful body] Man it is hot.,even cocky took a swim, with 1/2 a dozen pirouhettes in the process,.'he hasnt seen a pool in his 50 yrs',..,Ive got a good old 'Airco' fan going [Fays]1960
in the house, to keep bubbles cool.,. its going to be a rough night!!!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #8986376

If you set a bowl of water in front of the fan, the air will actually feel cooler thanks to the humidity.

Crepe myrtles are actually in the same family as loose strife. Lythraceae and the same class as magnolias...but they can have their share of icky stuff. Over the past few years folks have started pruning their CMs in a manner that horticulturists call Crepe Murder as it weakens the tree and shortens its life...and is just plain ugly.

http://grumpygardener.southernliving.com/grumpy_gardener/2009/02/what-concerns-p.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagerstroemia
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 29, 2012
12:56 PM

Post #8986778

Good morning everyone. Its dark and very humid. I feel like I've moved up north somewhere. Its so sticky one wants to run around naked..
dont worry , I wont. The birds would get a terrible shock.
We had 'rain' over night...ha ha... .04mm.
It wasnt worth those drops even falling from the cloud.
I am still hopeful that a really wet cloud will drop its innards on here today.

Anthony, sounds like you have a good place to wait out the heat. Glad you invited Cocky to have a dip too.

Moon, I have seen some crepe myrtles pruned as those in the clip. They look awful . I love the trunk and branch color. on them so why would you cut all that off. They look so silky, you just want to stroke the wood.
I hope mine grow well. They are only about 4"high at the moment and suffering from the bad packing they endured getting here.

Chrissy, its a bad fire hazard here too with all the growth from last year so dry now.
Hope your rain has stopped for a while.

Hello Colleen, Dianne, Karen and Teresa.
I need to get up from here and go enjoy the cool air outside for a while.
Not so sticky outside yet. Good time to water all the babies.

Have great day and I hope you all enjoyed your weekend.
Hers a cool treat for you all... Giant Banana Splits...
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 29, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #8986812

They are pretty rugged trees and seem relatively drought tolerant once established. Good luck with them Jean. Personally I call what those fools do to them "Crape Rape". My neighbor across the way did that a few years back...she has had to replace 3 of the 7 thus far.
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 29, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #8986923

Good morning everyone. Overcast, but not raining (yet).

Much reading to do this morning, how did I get so far behind? I have one crepe myrtle, the old kind and it is a lovely lavender colour flower. It is quite tall now, having to compete with gums and an african tulip tree, but has soldiered on for about 30 years. I've only had one little plant from it which had to go as it grew almost under the house. The growth out there is so dense though, there could be others and I wouldn't know. I love the flowers, and I love that the pale head rosellas love the seeds, and come in to eat them.

Not a good pic, but shows the colours I love to see when all the flowers are out. Usually some yellow flowers scattered in there at a lower level too.

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 29, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #8987160

A hot wind blowing out there ...hope it blows the clouds away :)
There is something here for everyone, even Anthony :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0YkBn1YMeQU
Oh to be born with such a gift ! Jean are you going to do Brug portraits when yours bloom ?
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 29, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #8987290

No Chrissy. I am not that good an artist and I would never even try doing portraits of plants after seeing what some incredible artists do.
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 29, 2012
9:18 PM

Post #8987504

Had a look at the Grumpy Gardener, Moon...he did a great job with his pruning...I have a few of the cultivars he mentioned...2 x Miami, 1 x Zuni, 1x Sioux and 2 Tuscarora which is a lovely hot pink...
Mine are about 3 yrs old now, I am growing them in particular to shade the front in the summer, we have direct sun, blazing into the front of the house...I wanted something deciduous to let in the winter sun.
I am not a crepe myrtle pruner, I love their bark...but pruning is very popular here too.
I like the miniature ones too...don't have any at this house.
Yours is a lovely colour.

Yours is very pretty too Karen...

Look at my baby watermelon, it has doubled in size...in a week...it's about 10ins now.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

January 30, 2012
12:51 AM

Post #8987553

I will have a new addition to the garden soon...
a spotty one :)
Copper is getting a girlfriend - a 4 month old that had her show debut with her breeder last weekend - and she won Best Baby Puppy in Show!
Normally this pup wouldn't have been for sale but we had been discussing a male dog that was up for rehoming & I had decided to pass on him as I didn't think Copper would like another boy around.
Out of the blue I was offered Sugar at half the normal cost - I had seen photos of her on Facebook & thought she was lovely & her breeding ticks all the boxes for me...
I can remember thinking how much I would love one just like her.
fingers crossed she doesn't like to dig - since Chita died Copper has totally lost interest digging up the lawn much to hubby's delight.
Funny thing is that Sugar is related to Copper on his sire's side mainly but a few ancestors in common with Chita too.

Thumbnail by dalfyre

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

January 30, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #8987760

Good Morning.

How could anyone not love the beautiful peeling bark and smooth trunks?

Aww Dianne... babies grow up so fast...grin.
Thanks, I have Acoma semi-dwarf white, Natchez white, Catawba purple/violet, Dynamite red, Pink Velour bright pink (the one in the picture), Little Chief dwarf light red, Little Chief pink, and an old variety simply called Watermelon Red.

Teresa, Sugar is a lovely little lady. I am sure Copper will be over the moon having a playmate again.

Wishing Rain for those that need it, sunny skies for those that don't and lots of cool breezes for you all.

Moon
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 30, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #8988420

Good morning everyone. I am finally here. I have been wandering around on the computer this morning and lost track of the time. Hope noone was left standing at the door too long.
Quite nippy here this morning after a cool night. We had a cool change and it even managed to rain.
Well , some would call it rain, but it didnt wet much except the path.
Not enough to even wash the dust off the car. Hubby said I should have put the car in the garage as leaving it out chased the rain away.

Teresa, what a pretty girl , Sugar is. Copper will be so happy with a friend . Watch out though, he may start digging again.

Dianne, You must have taken most the rain from the clouds and left me the just the last drops.

Hello Colleen, Moon, Charleen , Chrissy , Anthony and Karen.

I must get up from here and do a few things now half the morning has gone.

Try this Orange Chiffon Cake with your morning cuppa.
Enjoy the day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 30, 2012
8:37 PM

Post #8988894

Hi everyone. Teresa, Sugar is gorgeous, and I think Copper will be delighted to have a playmate. Let us know when she arrives and his reaction to her.

Not a great day today, some unexpected stress, but won't complain. Well, not here anyway. Just going to put my feet up for a while and relax.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2012
12:11 AM

Post #8988965

I am a bit surprised to see these starting to open considering the dreadful Summer we have had,they don't have the deep pink colour though.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2012
12:16 AM

Post #8988966

Today has been a loo loo, too tired to explain and coming after the horrid night we endured last night ...steamy heat, hottest January night in ages.
Suffice to say, I am glad it's over and even more glad there will be a better night tonight ( a change has blown through.)
Talk to everyone when I do not feel so gnarly tomorrow.
Enjoy your evening everyone.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

January 31, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #8989584

Good morning everyone. Have been having Modem problems and a new one is on the way. This one came on this morning so as I don't know how long I'll be on-line I'll get in early and say Hi. Have nearly got the SH in order and moved a heap of cactus and cleaned them up. The weather was a bit better here yesterday. The first day I haven't put the AC on for a couple of weeks. The boys are back at school and loving it. [so is Gran] The tanks are here and the pump will be here soon too. So it's all go for the watering system. but where's the plumber????? I have an Ipomera? flowering. I think that Mya sent me a cutting a couple of years ago and it's finally got there. It's lovely. The Alocasias have been flowering in the SH pond. They have a lovely perfume. No brugs flowering. The SH is finally getting sorted. Here's a pick of some of my broms. Will try to come back later but if I don't it's because the Modem has gone off-line again. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 31, 2012
12:39 PM

Post #8989611

Morning all...it's supposed to be a fine day...though I can see a lot of rain up there, especially to my west, Jean are you getting any?
Kettle's on.

Looks like yesterday wasn't such a good day for some of us...
Karen and the bus driver.
Colleen and her modem.
Chrissy and her eye.

Not a breath of wind out there, hope it stays the same for a while.

Sugar is a lovely dog, Teresa...pics when you get her home...
How about Grenda's Bus services in Melbourne...they sold the company and split $15 million amongst the staff, based on the number of years service...what a great company...
Back later...my Ardisias are flowering well this year.
Dianne.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 7:46 AM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 31, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #8989638

So lovely to come on and see the pics and read the latest from everyone. It really wasn't such a good day yesterday for some of us, was it. Must have been something in the stars. Today will be much better.

That was good of the bus company to do that, Dianne. Don't hear much of that going around. I worked for a company once that gave out bonuses every year, but unfortunately they were sorted by who the boss like best first, and she like men best.

Our local bus company must run at a loss because few people use it. But with the service they provide, I'm not surprised. Time tables don't mean a thing. Bus stops don't mean a thing. Yesterday, the driver (a woman) refused to stop to pick up 2 passengers at one stop, and refused to stop at my stop to let me off. She isn't the only one like that. We seem to get all the end of the line drivers on this bus route. Complaining gets you nowhere and the jerks running the company don't care either. Nevertheless, I am going to try for a refund as I was so distressed I forgot to use my card when I got off the bus and will be charged an extra fee for that.

But life goes on, and this is such a lovely peaceful morning here. Can't even hear the traffic, yet it must be peak hour out there now. Lovely. I like peace.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #8989642

Good morning everyone ...a pinch and a punch for the first of the month ...wow Feb already !

Sugar is adorable Teresa, I am very happy she is yours (that will be lovely for you). Copper too.

So nice to hear such a happy story isn't it Dianne ? Love your Ardisia, great value aren't they ?

Karen I hope you are feeling better today, I think yesterday was a doozy !

I bet the home is so quite Colleen ...always after children leave, I miss all that. Great memories though.

Jean I hope you get some rain, if only I could send some of mine to you I would, more to come for the next week. The weeds and Kikuyu are laughing at me. I might even welcome the frost this year in order to gain a winning hand over them.

Well I had better get out there before the rain hits,
I hope they don't want the puter again today, the IT bloke is coming to look at their puter, I sure hope he can fix it, I hate people touching mine.

A big wave to Charleen and Moon (Loise too if she ever peaks in ) I hope the weather is being kind over there :-)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 31, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #8989665

Good morning everyone. Still cold here. I know that sounds silly after all the heat but , its cloudy and a cold wind is out there as it was yesterday .
We had the electric blanket on last night. Dont laugh all you northerners.
I said to hubby, its no wonder people get sick or get colds etc with the weather swinging so suddenly between very hot and very cold.
Where is the in between to ease us into the changes.
Okay , thats my weather gripe for the day.

Dianne, we had a pitiful shower and nothing since. I had to water the plants again.
I have lost some of my pretty salvias in the heat so it will be a big redo of their part of the garden in autumn. I plan on putting in buddleias and crepe myrtles among the salvias to protect them. The old Geraldton Waxes will come out. They are too straggly to give any shade to anything. I have the lilly pillys to go somewhere too. I may use them as a windbreak in front of the salvia area. . That would make a nice little sheltered circle like I have done with the bottlebrush further over. With a doorway cut into the shrubs, it makes a lovely secret area.

Hello Chrissy. I hope you are not feeling too off today after your bug squishing episode.

Karen, I can imagine how annoyed you were at the bus driver. Yes , there are some people with no though for others.
Remember when buses etc had conductors to help people on and off .
I would report the person,.

Hello Colleen. Hope the new modem turns out well for you. It can be a real pain using all the modern technology. Our new modem is doing very well..
We had to get onto Telsra so often about the problems of dropping out all the time. They kept saying there was nothing they could do. Eventually they told us to go to a Testra shop and get a new modem which would have cost us over $100.
We went instead to our favorite gadget shop, Harvey Norman, and paid a quarter of that for a very good modem.
Its a real cutie and looks like something from Star Wars.

Teresa, we are waiting to hear all about the arrival of Sugar and see how Copper takes to his new friend.

Anthony, loved the pic of your latest lilium. I was sad to see the end of mine but now the belladonnas will be starting along with all the nerines and the other autumn bulbs.
Down in town there is a patch of naked ladies that come up each year and they are already up and flowering so it seems autumn is here for them.
I am looking forward to seeing flowers on all my new nerines.
I love the white belladonna Hathor . I have a bud on one of the vallotta lilies too.

Hello Charleen, I was thinking of you this morning as I patted Charley where he sits on on my fridge.
I bet the real Charley would like to be in my fridge for nibbles.

Hello Moon , hope you are well. How is your garden doing these days ?

Hello Louise. Love to hear how the girls are doing.

I hope all are feeling much brighter today and enjoying all the gardens.
Come in for a morning cuppa and some of this delicious Apple & Blueberry Shortcake.
Happy day
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 8:39 AM

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2012
4:04 PM

Post #8989836

Raining !
Sigh ...Teresa I thought this was fun !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=nwgbfriHWt8

You are probably to young to remember it but it was a fun little song.

Anthony I hope you are ok and Elaine too, where ever you are I hope you are ok.
Kat and Marlene yoo hoo !

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2012
4:11 PM

Post #8989854

Yes, Charley would love to sample your fridge..
Kaitlin sampling the daffodils...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

January 31, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #8989859

My daffodils are blooming. I especially like this orange centered one.
Hope you all have a great day.

katciao
Brisbane
Australia

January 31, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #8990045

.Hello all..I'm here.peeking in the window. Lovely sunny but humid day today.

Yesterday wasn't a good day..we had to euthanase our older cat..the third in seven months and she was the remaining older girl. She was diagnosed with liver cancer a week ago. Thank goodness we have the kitties!

Middle son moved back home so we are packed to the rafters..boxes everywhere. He's not a patient little soul and our internet had been dropping out. We had a new modum but he went straight out and bought a new router to improve the wifi reach to his room.

Fenceman tried to dry the grass as soon as the rain stopped! Straight out with the leaf blower. I was playing with the epies yesterday as he was whacking things around in there and zapping etc..he used the leaf blower between whippersnippering, hedge trimming and mowing. His toddlers watched on..he must be training some excellent future green keepers there as the male model they have is that Mum works and Dad is at home and mows, zaps and blows..uh ooh..he's started again!
Lol!

Radio weather just said more rain is expected. There is so much mould growing everywhere. It's humid and hot. Can I blow some down to you southerners???The crickets/ cicadas are making a racket. I feel like I live in the Amazon..UQ is over the river and we are only a few km from the CBD..but a jungly pocket. There was an old house a few houses up on a river block so steep it's almost vertical..the house was built right up at the road..on high stumps. Now the house has gone, they have cleared trees away but there is still a jungle strip along the river. They have to leve that, even though the bloke opposite got away with removing it.

I've seen a few yellow faced whiptails sunning themselves and there's been a large water dragon coming to visit out the back..also, baby turkets. I am seding you some, Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 31, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #8990054

Charleen, what a wonderful name for a hen...I bet she's the only Kaitlyn Chicken.

Chrissy love Sugar Sugar...then I looked to the right side on youtube and saw Mr Sandman and Lollipop...during Lollipop a very familiar face pops up...see if you remember him...took me almost to the end of the song.

Anthony, more swimming weather coming...bring out the Speedos...

Jean, is that where you do your nude dancing...in with the other naked ladies...lol
It's turned out to be a lovely day...
Dianne

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

January 31, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #8990062

So sorry about your cat, as you said good thing that you have the kittens...
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 31, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #8990124

Not likely , Dianne. Those naked ladies are growing in the main street. I think I may cause a stir if I joined them.
But then again, who would recognise me with all the wrinkly bits flip flopping...lol..

Chrissy, love all the old song videos, but once you look at one , as Dianne said, you then have to look at all the others.

Charleen, Kaitlyn is very cute. Around here she would be a fox's breakfast.

Kat, send me the rain but you can keep your turklings .. Sounds like the FM is still nutty
Wait until he gets too old to do all his pesky things, then you can bring all your noisiest rellies in for a weekend.

Still cold here but the sun is trying to get out.
Jean.

This message was edited Feb 1, 2012 3:31 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2012
7:31 PM

Post #8990142

Dianne who could forget
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_ryvqTvUtY&feature=related
Who didn't cry over that movie !

So sorry to hear about your cat Kat, glad you have kittens if that helps. We had 80% humidity the night before last on the Hottest January night in 15 years here but suddenly it's cold and wet again.

I miss my girls Charleen, love chooks, but until I can have a concrete bunker with razor wire to stop the foxes and wild dogs, I won't get any more ...tired of burying torn bits and feathers. That will be in the next place when hubby really retires and builds me this vermin proof chook compound.

Love the daffy !
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

January 31, 2012
8:22 PM

Post #8990206

Hello again. Kat, sorry to hear about your cat, but glad you still have the kitties. I too am becoming quite alarmed at the rate the mould is growing here. Today I noticed that even my mattress is sprouting. Threw out a pair of shoes yesterday that started walking by themselves. The walls are in a shocking state, and all the soft furnishings. Even a doll I have on display is growing mould.

This means we are breathing in the spores, and that is a serious health hazard. I don't know what we can do though until the humidity and rain ceases, as just cleaning doesn't solve the problem, it just grows back. I was once told about a product that was supposed to take the mould out of the air, but can't remember any details. Does anyone know?

Charleen, I once had a budgerigar I named Percival Edward Lawrence. Sometimes a bird or an animal has that special something that requires a special name.

Karen

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #8990240

I think it was something like Camel, but I found that if you place containers of kitty litter around the place it does a good job of absorbing moisture out of the air, you just hide them out of sight and give them a stir every now and then. In the wardrobe, behind the couch,in the linen cupboard, under the bed etc. It works. It's cheap. You can put a few drops of essential oil such as lavender in there too if you want the air to smell fresh.
The other thing you can do is use tea tree oil/lavender oil/eucalyptus oil any or all of these to make up your own antiseptic anti fungal spray and mist it around lightly.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

January 31, 2012
8:43 PM

Post #8990244

Karen, having never lived where the rain & humidity are so bad as what you are getting, I only have experience with mould in the winter dampness.
I found that the best thing is bleach. Plain ordinary bleach will remove and stop the mould from quickly returning.
Our bathroom and spare room were going black with the winter damp. I used the bleach with a mop to reach the ceiling & tops of walls and so far it has worked.. Your weather probably means the mould etc grows back as quick as you remove it.
With beds etc.. airing may work, but where do you air things when it doesnt stop raining ?
I feel so sorry for all those living in those conditions. Here I am complaining about the dry down here, but its easier than being continuously damp.
Hope you find some sort of solution, besides getting the weather to cooperate.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

January 31, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #8990272

I was just reading an article by an expert and he says that bleach is ok for hard surfaces but some kinds of molds will just come back from it, another person says they have had no problems since cleaning the original mould off and then using a spray with oil of cloves mixed with water (about ten drops per spray bottle). I also have always had bowls of
http://www.craftbits.com/project/orange-cloves-christmas-ball
around the place ...is that a help ? it may be. I just enjoy the smell which is more pronounced on humid days

I am so glad I don't have any here. I only had to resort to the kitty litter trick one year so far in this home (in twenty years). No matter how cold I always have open windows (just less open) I think that helps too. I also have10 ft ceilings which probably helps, not sure if it makes a difference or not, but probably.

There is a product called Closet Camel ...basically it is silica gel I think.
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

January 31, 2012
11:14 PM

Post #8990308

The ragdoll kitty is called Desmond Two Toes as he has two white toes on one foot..black one is Ninja..grey one is Tumble as she was very athletic till she grew very big! and there's Moquie as she is an MOQ shape and is mocha coloured..she's a Layanese.

This house is always open as front verandah has security and louvres which are always open..but faces onto river so damp air comes up, especially in winter. Also has the high ceilings and above doorway openings. The hallway walls need cleaning regularly. There are worker's cottages built into the riverbank below so they don't even get cross breezes or any sun in winter.

The upside is I have awesome gingers and heliconias growing. FM is in his 40's, has never worked while here, bought the place as a bachelor, later married, and we think he'd just left some company, think there may have been a courtcase or compo, but he is at home all day...and somehow even got the place for half price and had them make renovations. Had contacts who told him they had a bridging loan and offered them cash on final day.. the previous owner was sorry they sold as they weren't up against the wall..I'm sorry they did too..
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2012
1:25 AM

Post #8990320

I have a goldfish swimming upside down and erratically. I thought it was cactus but Googled anyway and seems it's a swimbladder problem and to give it crushed thawed frozen peas and some Epsom salts in the tank. Done. The other tank has four big goldfish..this one was one I bought a year ago and it grew very quickly to almost the size of the big ones. I'm not doing well keeping my pets well. :(

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #8990494

Do you all get to watch NCIS? That is where I got Kaitlins name also her Mummy is Abigail. Love that show.
I hope the goldfish gets better.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 1, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #8990927

Good morning everyone. A bit nippy this morning but going to be a lovely day. Shopping day, so warmish is good.

Charleen, NCIS is one of my favorite shows after Star Gate & Star Trek..
Very sad when Kaitlin was shot but I do like Di va.
I am not keen on the NCIS Los Angeles though. . Its too much like all the other cop shows with over the top violence .
Dont you just love Abby and of course Gibbs.

Kat, sounds like you have houseful of cats.
I thought of you last night while watching Selling Houses Australia. As a house in Brisbane was being shown, a turkey jumped over the fence and ran across the path.

Hello Chrissy and Karen, hope that you are both feeling great today.

Hello Dianne and Colleen, Teresa and Anthony.

Enjoy the day wherever you are. I'm off to do the shopping
Have some of these yummy Banana Muffins.
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 1, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #8990951

Morning all,
We have kept fish for years, Kat and most times the frozen pea treatment does work, I haven't seen it combined with epsom salts though...good luck with the fish.

Charleen, I watch NCIS occasionally, so I know the characters...In Australia, old fashioned names are becoming very popular such as Abigail, Chloe,Sophie, Ruby, Charlotte, Olivia, Lily, Ava etc...is the same thing happening in the US?
Though sadly there are still people who like way out names for their poor kids...

Look at this one...Tallow Eliza...I asked my daughter if she knew what tallow was and she had no idea.
Obviously the parents don't either...maybe they like Willow, I like it too, and decided to give it a tweak to make it different...You would think that someone would have told them.
For those among you who are my daughter's age...tallow is the fat rendered from slaughtered animals.
Great name, hey.

Off to the movies today...
Have a great day all.
Dianne

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 1, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #8990961

Yes, I think they are liking the older names again. I heard a lady called her little girl in a shop Olivia, I do like it.
Yes, I like Di Va, and all the crew, That Tony Dnosa can be an arrogant rascal tho. Love gibbs , Abigail and Ducky...
They make those names up then wonder why they turn out to be robbers and thieves...
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 1, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #8991293

Good morning everyone. I have my new Modem but the old one let me in again so will leave well enough alone until it decides not to work again. Beautiful cool weather here, the sun is shining and a slight breeze. It still gets a bit warm by 3pm but quite bearable compared with the past 2 weeks. Still no sign of the plumber. The boys have dentist's appointments at 4 today then Cubs tonight. They're having Science this afternoon so I have been back and forth taking things for the teacher to talk about and show. I also took some of Cameren's bug books. He's always looking for bugs or spiders or lizards in the garden so this lesson should make him very happy. They've both settled back into school beautifully and it's always a bonus when they're looking forward to the next day at school. The new headmaster seems really nice and hopefully he will be very benificial for the boys, being Male. I think they can get too much of the female influences sometimes. He's taking them out into the yard to do some gardening on Friday so that should be good as well. As far as I'm concerned learning isn't just about books and now computers, it's everyday happenings as well. Well everyone enjoy their day and hopefully I'll be back with you all as long as the modem keeps working or the new one just plugs in and starts up without any hassles. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 1, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #8991561

Closet camel! That was the thing I was trying to remember. But the kitty litter sounds good as do the other ideas. I like smelly things - nice smells, I mean. I don't know if it is the clay pan we are built on that holds the wet and the mould, but there is no stopping it when the air is humid. The kitchen cupboards grow before your eyes. I've been using vinegar, but not enough time has passed yet to see if it really works. The "landlords" have written a clause in our lease that they will not be responsible for a lot of maintenance works anymore, including treatment of mould, but have kindly given us a recipe for the vinegar treatment, which requires washing the walls down 3 times each time you do it. Nothing like a bit of extra work.

I have always used bleach in the past but the mould always comes back. By the time I get from one end of the house to the other, its time to start at the beginning again. Barry had left a sweaty singlet in the bathroom after mowing, and by the time he got it down to me for washing, it was beyond even bleaching. Fit for the bin only.

I rather like some of the old names too. They are more often than not, good solid no nonsense names.

Karen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 2, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #8991659

On the subject of names - have you noticed how if a character on a popular tv show has an uncommon name within a few years you are hearing everywhere.
Sinead was one & Madison started after the movie Splash...
and then you get people who like to be clever with spellings - know of a family with Mykela & Mykenzie,

Also met someone who named her daughters Jadzia & Nerys - Deep Space Nine fans will recognise those.

mind you I am not averse to playing with names - my kennel name of Dalfyre combines Dalmatian & Fire dog - but I liked it with the 'y' & the kennel club approved it so there it is.
One of Copper's brother's is named Dalfyre Sno Leopard...

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #8991804

Good Morning All

Today (Feb 2 US) is Ground Hogs day...and yes, the furry rodent saw his shadow ans so predicts 6 more weeks of winter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/post/groundhog-day-2012-punxsutawney-phil-sees-shadow-6-more-weeks-of-winter/2012/02/02/gIQA9Hb7jQ_blog.html?wprss=capital-weather-gang

Karen, perhaps this link will be useful to you. Also, uncooked rice is great at absorbing moisture and can be refreshed/reused by a few minutes in a warm oven to pull out the excess moisture

http://blackmold.awardspace.com/kill-remove-mold.html

I am amazed at the resurgence of Irish names here, Sinead, Siobhan (but spelled Chyvonne or Shivon) Declan and Liam to name a few. We also have many "African-inspired" names like Keneshia, Kedesia, Jamarcus, Jadarrien, but my favorite...and I do swear to its veracity, was the woman who became upset because people at school were not pronouncing her daughter's name correctly...K-ia...they were calling her KIA when her mother informed them her name is K dash ia. The dash is not silent.

I helped a friend who managed a school cafeteria years ago keep up with her paper work. Some of the names were to say the least different...Neptrania, Egyptia, Ene-ma, Tie-Rel, Jabutie, Katawanda and sadly, Clitorea and Clamidea and Ciffalisa ( off spellings of actual words)
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 2, 2012

Post #8992336

Good morning everyone.another cool morning which should turn into a lovely day as was yesterday.
Happy Groundhog Day to our US friends. ... Charleen, Moon and Louise ( if she pepping in )and any others over there.
I loved that movie.

I came home with no plants yesterday, No orphans anywhere.
I did get a plant in the mail I had bought on eBay.
A beautiful variegated hydrangea. The leaves are so pretty.

I will be going mad on the weekend and potting up lots of plants that have been patiently waiting for me.

Hello Dianne. I will be trying out your carb soda tip too.

Colleen, how are you going with your tanks ? All ready for the rain ?

Teresa, arent names funny things ? I must admit , I did like making up names for various pets over the years. Never anything stupid though.
I am amazed at what some parents name their children. I wonder how many , in later years , change their names ?
When I named all mine , I was careful to make sure no awful nick names could be made from either a shortened version or initials.
Of course, back then with a surname of Brown, they all got called Brownie mostly.

Hello Anthony, are your lovely liliums are still going down there? I am looking forward to all the autumn bulbs now.

Hello Chrissy and Karen, hope you are both well and getting out in the gardens despite the rain.

I am off to start on my potting up of lots of babies.

Have great day and take care.

Enjoy these Cherry Scones. ( with jam & cream of course as Brian would remind me )
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 2, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #8992444

Good morning. Just taking a break from washing walls. Can only do a little each day but determined to start the battle. Thank you for the links. Looks like vinegar is a good option and I will be using it. Just want to empty the bleach bottle first, so using that on the walls that are badly marked as well as mouldy, as the marks have gone mouldy too.

No rain again today though there are clouds around. I don't mind a shower to wet the plants and the ground, but we haven't had one for nearly a week now. It is very hot and humid though, more like true summer here now.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Karen

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 2, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #8992479

Have a lovely day.

You are welcome Karen. It might help if you have a portable fan to place it blowing against the wet walls...may help them dry out a little faster.

Good thoughts to you all,
Moon

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 2, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #8992528

Just had a funny thought after reading Moon's names...imagine the setting...a wedding with the bride and groom at the altar and the celebrant says...Do you take this Ene-ma?...lol

I have never seen Ground Hog Day, even though it's been on TV countless times..I will one day...

Karen, you have my sympathy...when we first moved to the beach, I found a lovely pair of furry slippers at the back of my wardrobe...I had never seen mould actually growing before...It wasn't a problem again, because I always had the windows opened after that...we don't really have the humidity...
I feel so sorry for the people of NSW, waiting for those floods...

Colleen, the boys will love having a male principal, it's such a shame that teaching has become mainly a female profession.

Chrissy, I saw " A few best men" yesterday...there were 60s, 70s and 80s songs in the background all the way thru...One of those songs
was "Sugar, sugar"...how often does that happen, when you think about something you haven't thought of in years and up it pops.
The film was funny, but more a 30s age group, film I think...Got a surprise to see Olivia newton John snorting cocaine...lol

Do you have any climbing Hydrangeas, Jean...I don't, but there is a new variegated one out so that would be pretty.
have a great day all.
Dianne.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 2, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #8992530

Good morning everyone. Well, the new modem is all connected up and running as you can all see. Hopefully I won't have any problems now. The tanks aren't in as yet Jean. The pump is here and the plumber left a note telling me he'll be here at 8.30 Monday next week. It's another beautiful morning. I'm washing today so best get on with it. I'll be back later to have a cuppa. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2012
4:15 PM

Post #8992533

Happy Ground Hog Day ! To our lovely ladies over the pond, what a great tradition ! I don't think we have any such tradition.
I love the links moon. :-) thanks so much !

Well of course it's still raining here still cool - The Lost Summer here.

Good luck with the mold issues Kat and Karen, it's quite turned me off the idea of moving North, I think I will look Southwards.
Besides I couldn't live the cane toads, did anyone see the doco on them a couple nights ago OMG no thanks ! and now they want to let Elephants roam Australia to eat the grass ??????? what happens when the grass runs out ???? Madness.

I can't go outside Jean, still enduring cabin fever ...terrible floods all up Northern NSW, gut wrenching stuff. Poor people.
No floods here but mud and rain ...every day and most nights.
I hope you all are having better weather than we are, so sorry I can't send some water your way.

I will try to get out there today but I don't like my chances. The grubs will be having a ball and I can hear the Kikuyu laughing at me.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 2, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #8992540

Snap everyone !

Glad your puter is ok colleen.

Dianne those songs were around when my little one was just starting to enjoy music and singing along with those songs, so they are dear to me. Very simple cute songs ...visions of sweet little toddler singing to them. :-) special times in my life.
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 3, 2012
12:38 AM

Post #8992921

I like the song Sugar Sugar...
ahh honey honey
You are my candy girl,
& you got me wanting you...
lol - I can imagine me singing this to my puppy.
I used to sing nonsense words to the tune of row row row your boat...
it helped calm Copper because it was impossible for his handler to be nervous when singing silly songs.

I like to choose names for dogs that have two syllables and are not 'people' names.
So far I've had dogs named Magic, Haski, Sonic, Chita, & Copper.
and cats Tigger, Myshka & Wizard (got him at the same time as Magic)
Our first dal was going to be kept by his breeders so they had already named him Tyson...
my Aussie stepsister has a son named Tyson now.

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 3, 2012
1:28 AM

Post #8992927

Dianne-I dont think a pair of speedos on me, would be good sight for anyone!!! as beautiful as my body is,.,.,.,.,.!!!!!! I do hope there is a bit nore hot weather, the H/P goes in on monday.,.,.THE WEBSITE IS UP-FOR THE LILY SHOW,..,.,.!!!!!claremont flower show, gallery 21[and mollys parsnip car is there].,,AGM last night, was voted in as president,..and a very late night of discussions[thems the breaks] but an excellent back up crew-for sure-Anthony

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #8993120

Good Morning All.

Congratulations Anthony...I am sure the AGM will thrive under your direction.

Dianne...some of those names have given us quite a laugh...but my heart goes out to children named after body parts, procedures and STDs..I can only think the nurses or office folk that bring in the forms for filing have a bit of a cruel streak in them.

Chrissy, you are very welcome.I got my little grandson a stuffed toy donkey that waggles his ears and sings an old Four Tops song.."Can't help myself". It was absolutely wonderful watching him at 15 months old dance around and sing "Shoo Pie"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhBv_fA1LJs&feature=related

Teresa, there is something so calming to both babies and animals about singing...guess they figure if you can make that noise it must all be alright. My Mom always said if we were afraid, sing.

Colleen, hope the plumber lives up to his word this time...perhaps you should offer to give him a ride...grin

Good thoughts to you all

Moon
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 3, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #8993506

Good morning. I think kids and pets love to be sung to. I sing to my bird all the time, and she loves to sit by the radio and "sing" along to the music. When driving my grand daughters in the car when they were little, we sang our silly heads off and enjoyed every minute of it.

This was our favourite. I've chosen a version sung by my absolute favourite singing group. Alvin and the Chipmunks...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkfVk1_lm7k&feature=related

Have a great day.
Karen'

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
1:41 PM

Post #8993532

Morning everyone...nice day ahead for those in the south of the Great Southern Land...
Kettle is on Jean, the lawn and the bushes in the tea room garden are all wet with dew.

Dear president Anthony, I had a look at the Claremont web site and saw your exhibits and Molly's parsnip car and some fantastic flowers...so many gorgeous Liliums and Gladdies...Jean you will recognize the "Best Rose."
I would like to know the name of the lilium in the pic below...it was in your gallery...congrats on being elected and enjoy the position.

At last I found a pkt of Cup and Saucer Canterbury Bells...I have been able to get the singles but not the C & S ones...now to grow them...I am not the best growing things from seed, I forget to water them.
The seeds are like pepper...

Anthony, here is the Lilium.
Have a great weekend everyone.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 3, 2012
1:51 PM

Post #8993552

Good morning everyone. As usual, I got sidetracked so am late opening the doors. I can always rely on Dianne or Colleen to pop the kettle on.
Anthony, its your fault, I was looking through the flower show gallery. You must be really proud of both yourself and Molly.
Congratulations on being elected president.
Whats this about speedos ? Keep wearing your string bikini, Anthony, leave the speedos to the politicians.

Dianne dont look at that flower show or you will be wanting ...

Fog here this morning. The only thing we havent had lately is snow. Maybe I'd better keep quiet or it may turn up.

Love the songs ladies. I ne ver sing where anyone is likely to hear me.
I am fan of all things 50s & 60s . I don think my brain ever left there somehow.
I always talk to my plants & animals as they would die if they heard me sing.
Hubby says its very funny listening to me tell a plant to grow or swearing at a blackbird that wont use the broom to clear the mess it made.
If I could sing, it would be mostly Rock & Roll, although I do like a lot of classical music.
I dont think some of my favorite music would go down well with the birds etc. ( bagpipes, love 'em. )

Better move and go check on all the babies and clear up after Mr. Blackbird. I was blaming Mrs , but caught Mr digging up a pot.
I am putting plastic gutter mesh on all the pots. It works well and doesnt interfere with the watering etc.

Hello to all. Enjoy the weekend if you can .
I know there are so many caught up in floods so wish them well.
I would take the rain if I could , just to give them a respite from its never ending presence.

Heres a treat for you all. that is always a favorite... Hummingbird Cake. .
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 3, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #8993624

Good Morning.

Well my DH will be saying goodbye to Brisbane this morning and flying down to Sydney for a connecting flight back to Louisiana. He will be looking at about 19 hours flying time plus layovers, in Sydney and Dallas. But, on the up side...he leaves Brisbane Saturday morning and gets home Saturday afternoon...grin

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 3, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #8993798

I hope your hubby managed to find some sun somewhere Moon, Sydney has a rare few hours of sun at the moment, maybe even a whole day of it tomorrow ! whoo hoo whacky daks ! some Summer, I hope your hubby has a safe and reasonable flight back. We have just been seeing Denver on the news getting 2 inches of snow every hour , the mind boggles ! I hope the weather is kinder where you and Charleen are (Loise too ). What are going to cook him when he gets home ? something special no doubt.

February ! how did that happen so quickly ???? 2012 ditto ! unbelievable.
We will be talking Easter in a blink ...I wish someone would turn off the fast forward thingy.
Enjoy your weekend everyone ...some gardening time is always a way to to do that.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 3, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #8993818

I forgot ...here is something to make you laugh ...hopefully you haven't seen it already but ...it made this unhappy gardener laugh so hard my eyes watered and we all need that, don't we :-)

Once upon a time, there lived a man who had a terrible passion for baked beans. He loved them, but they always had an embarrassing and somewhat lively reaction on him.

One day he met a girl and fell in love. When it became apparent they would marry, he thought to himself, she'll never go through with the marriage with me carrying on like this, so he made the supreme sacrifice and gave up beans.

Shortly after that they were married.

A few months later, on the way home from work, his car broke down and since they lived in the country, he called his wife and told her he would be late because he had to walk. On his way home, he passed a small cafe and the wonderful aroma of baked beans
overwhelmed him.

Since he still had several miles to walk he figured he could walk off any ill effects before he got home. So he went in and ordered, and before leaving had 3 extra large helpings of baked beans. All the way home he putt-putted. By the time he arrived home he felt reasonably safe.

His wife met him at the door and seemed somewhat excited. She exclaimed, "Darling, I have the most wonderful surprise for you for dinner tonight!" She put a blindfold on him, and led him to his chair at the head of the table and made him promise not to peak. At this point he was beginning to feel another one coming on.

Just as his wife was about to remove the blindfold, the telephone rang. She again made him promise not to peek until she returned, and away she went to answer the phone.

While she was gone, he seized the opportunity. He shifted his weight to one leg and let go. It was not only loud, but ripe as a rotten egg. He had a hard time breathing, so he felt for his napkin and fanned the air about him.

He had just started to feel better, when another urge came on. He raised his leg and RRIIIPPPP!!! It sounded like a diesel engine revving, and smelled worse. To keep from gagging, he tried fanning his arms a while, hoping the smell would dissipate. He got another urge. This was a real blue ribbon winner, the windows shook, the dishes on the table rattled and a minute later the flowers on the table were dead.

While keeping an ear tuned in on the conversation in the hallway, and keeping his promise of staying blindfolded, he carried on like this for the next ten minutes, farting and fanning each time with his napkin. When he heard the phone farewells he neatly laid his napkin on his lap and folded his hands on top of it. Smiling contentedly, he was the picture of innocence when his wife walked in.

Apologizing for taking so long, she asked if he had peeked at the dinner table. After assuring her he had not peeked, she removed the blindfold and yelled, "SURPRISE!!!"

To his shock and horror, there were twelve dinner guests seated around the table for his surprise birthday party.

ha ha ha !!!! still laughing !

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 3, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #8993921

Chrissie, that is terribly funny...I felt embarrassed for him, how would you be?, you would just die...

What a good trip, Moon...he leaves in the morning and is home in the afternoon...lol
Hope all your Aussie family are well...

Remember "Sugarfoot" with Will Hutchins...When I first brought Mick ( my horse) home, 10 yrs ago, he was very skittish and so I thought I would start his familiarisation with a nice brushing all over...as I brushed, I found myself singing the theme song from Sugarfoot...it's been our brushing song ever since...
I loved Maverick, Sugarfoot, Cheyenne. and the Roaring 20's, Hawaiian Eye, Bourbon St Beat and all of those..
Oops almost forgot Jean's 77 Sunset Strip and Kookie...

They were such good uncomplicated programs...with a gorgeous sort in every one of them..

Back later, got some planting to do.
Dianne.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 3, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #8994029

Good afternoon everyone. Where has the day gone? Quite muggy and overcast here and a bit warm. The boys are busy playing with their Bakugans and the "new" playstation that I picked up at a garage sale this morning for $5. That is just my price. Their othe one got accidently knocked off the top of their TV. They don't like to be dropped. It apparently misaligns something in them and they won't play anymore. They can probably be fixed but when you can pick them up for $5 why would anyone bother. I have had to move all my Echinopsis, cacti, from their place up the back so that the tanks can be brought through to the place where they are going. John will be up soon to put them there and connect all the pipes up for the plumber so that will save a bit of money for me. He's a good boy to his Mumma. He's just finishing building a Yamaha motorbike for Cameren then he will be here. They love their bikes. As we were going to Berri this morning Branden spotted some motor bikes for sale. He said, almost to himself, " oh, look at those sweet bikes". I'm still chuckling about it. Well had better go and do a bit more. be back later. Colleen. Here's a pic of the new bike that John is building.

Thumbnail by ctmorris

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 4, 2012
2:12 AM

Post #8994121

well we have had a lovely day, drove up to Blenheim for the weekend.
Caught up with a few friends, found out that Baz forgot to let one know his new phone number & the guy had been trying to contact him to see if we wanted tickets to the Blues Brews & BBQ's festival.
There were no gate sales so we missed out on that, had dinner at the hotel we are staying at.
We've been here before & the food was just as good as ever.
Delicious!
There will be a short take off & landing contest at the Omaka airfield tomorrow, should be fun to watch.
The pilots aim to get the plane down in as short a space as possible & ditto take off.
It isn't easy to hit the mark accurately & sometimes there are a few bumpy rides.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 4, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #8994625

Good morning everyone.. Well, it was a quiet night after a rash of pager messages and alerts from CFA. They were predicting we would maybe get storms with thunder & lightning , but nothing turned up here at all. Not even any rain.
We dont need lightning as it causes too many fires but even a little rain would help.
I dont know if anyone else got any around the state, We'll hear on the news if they did.
Its very dull here and quite oppressive, so maybe something may still eventuate

Teresa, sounds like you had a very enjoyable time. Dont forget to show us pics of Sugar & Copper when they are both at home together.

Colleen, you wont know yourself with all that tank water. I bet the boys love those bikes.

Dianne, I still remember all those old series too. I used to love 77 Sunset Strip, which is why I have it as my name on here.
Kookie was kinda cute.

Chrissy, I had a good laugh at your tale. Showed it to hubby too.. It can be a real problem sometimes , in not doing something to embarrass ones self.

Made me think of a time years ago when I was with a former partner.
The farmer friend we knew had a whippet which was so spoilt it sat on the front sea tof his car when he travelled up & down from Perth to the farm ( a long trip of about 4 1/2 hrs..)
That darn dog even used to sit at the table when we ate and be fed food from the table. We decided to play a joke one time . The dog ate anything so we gave him a nice meal of kangaroo meat just before they left to go back to Perth.
For those who dont know, kangaroo meat can have a "baked bean" effect on dogs not used to it. .
We laughed for ages, thinking of the trip they would have had back to Perth. All those hours in the car with a very smelly dog.
I thought it fair payback for putting up with the dog getting on beds and being a general pest at mealtimes.

Hello Moon, hope your hubby had a good trip home. He will have lots of Aussie news to tell you no doubt.

Hello Charleen, hugs for Charley. I patted him this morning and gave him a scratch.

Hello Karen, I really hope you are starting to get about more normally now. Hope you are not getting too much of that wet though.
I do feel sorry for all those having to go through more floods..

Hello Kat , How are you doing with the kitties ? Hope FM has gone quiet for a while.

Anthony. I have little liliums still growing well from the seeds. I am going to leave them where they are until spring . The container is quite large enough for them to sleep in over winter .

Must get out and water again this morning. Stay safe everyone and enjoy the last of the weekend.

Heres something nice to have with your morning cuppa. ..Chocolate Mint Shortbreads.
Happy gardening
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 4, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #8994662

Good morning everyone ...it's supposed to be hot and sunny today, but so far it's grey and wet again, I went outside and there are dripping leaves and spider webs all over the place.So many tiny green grubs on the lacy leaves and while it isn't raining, things are very wet. We need some Sun to dry stuff up. Anyone want to swap?

We have guests coming this morning, so I just wanted to wave and I will pop back after lunch.
I hope everyone enjoys the day.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 4, 2012
2:00 PM

Post #8994666

Good morning everyone. Thought that we might go to the markets this morning but it's not very nice out there. We had a little rain last night but there's a very cool wind this morning. Won't be very nice down the street I don't think. I can hear all those plants down there though so might bite the bullet and go. Still haven't found the key to the back fence. Will keep looking. Just as well I don't need to get out there yet. Well had better go and see what we're doing. be back later. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 4, 2012

Post #8994682

Hope your husband doesn't suffer jet lag, doing that much travel in a single day, moon :).

Chrissy, I had to laugh as it is funny, but wouldn't you die of embarrassment!

Dianne, you are right about the good sorts in those old TV shows. Sometimes they show them here (early hours of the morning). The stories were simple, even the acting was more simple, but seems fisticuffs is a way of dealing with everything that never changes among men.

Colleen, will think of you and that horrid weather as we go to the markets on a beautiful sunny morning.

Jean, I can finally leave my leg without a bandage so the wound can toughen up, and its looking great (apart from the colour). Thank you for the thought.

Teresa, I too look forward to hearing how the 2 dogs get along when they meet, and to see the pics.

Hope everyone else is doing fine.
Better get myself up and going or we'll be here all day.

Karen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 4, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #8994685

Morning,
We just had a bit of rain Jean, it has made it very humid...
Glad to see that you are beating the mites...

I've been picking tomatoes and apple cucumbers every day...my watermelon has 5 siblings now, they grow so quickly, that even in our weird summer, I think that we will get to see it ripen...

We are off to Queenscliff to a Hot Rod show...I am taking a brolly just in case...
Hope it rains for you Colleen and fills those tanks.
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 4, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #8994793

Dianne- that flower is a ''white henryi cross' as i have been severely corrected on another thread this morning[[well, excuuuuuuuuuuuse me!!!!]],..Enjoy the rod show!...Dianne/Jean-do you have miniature'Fyno'daff?-I can spare a few if you dont-Anthony
I just ordered bulk seeds of l.Candidum & l.Henryi-

This message was edited Feb 5, 2012 7:30 AM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 4, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #8994826

No Anthony, I dont have that daff, so would love it please.

Just been out covering all my bulbs with mesh to keep the blackbirds out.

Also now have to do a renumbering of all the irises. One of the neighbors darn sheep was in and has kicked over half the small numbers I use on individual plants. . Thank goodness I planted in rows with numbered stakes.

It has turned cold here now but very few spots of rain so far.

Just found a very very late epi flowering too.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 4, 2012

Post #8994890

Whoo hoo Jean what a wonderful surprise. Colleen
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 4, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #8994923

Another nice surprise..
I'm whispering so I dont scare it away, but

ITS RAINING...

Not a lot., but real rain that is wetting the path and dripping off the veranda.
I am hoping it keeps up all day.
Jean.
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 4, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #8994932

I think that the wind here must have blown it all your way Jean. It's not very nice out there. Not much gardening getting done. Colleen
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 4, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #8995129

another good day - lovely lunch at Wither Hills winery.
I can really recommend their wines as we did a free tasting after our lunch :)
Had dinner at the hotel again - and that was delicious too.
Kind of looking forward to getting home tomorrow & seeing Copper & organising for Sugar to join us.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 5, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #8995506

Good Morning.

Hubby is home after 23 hours of travel...20 of them in the air. He had a really hard time climbing into the truck for the ride home...wanted to stand the whole way...grin Fortunately the drive was less than an hour.

We have just at 12cm rain while he was gone, with most of it this past week. Things are soggy and the fire ants are on the move. I have found over a dozen new hills this week.

I hope the rain shifts so those that need it have it and those that don't get some sun. Be vewy vewy qwiet Jean...grin (words of cartoon character Elmer Fudd)

Karen, good news on your leg..good thoughts for continued healing.

Teresa, glad you are having a good time. Looking forward to pics of Sugar.

This monster thistle, we call it Thistlesaurus has shown up here...it is almost 2 meters wide (5feet)...still don't have an ID on it..the spines are almost a cm long.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 5, 2012

Post #8995706

Good morning everyone. Well, we did get some nice rain. About 16 points. It came along in squally showers with very gusty winds. It got so cold, the electric blanket and heater were on last night.
Still cold this morning. I think the rain has left us.

Colleen, you pushed those clouds too hard . They mostly slipped past and went to Melbourne.

Dianne, I hope you didnt suffer any damage in those storms.

Moon, glad your hubby arrived safely. Had to laugh at him wanting to stand for the last bit of the trip in the vehicle.
Moon , if you need a friend for thistleaurus, I can send you one of our very large Scotch thistles. They get to be extremely wide and can grow a around 4-5 foot high.
They do have beautiful large purple flowers which I have always liked.

Teresa, nice to see you out enjoying a meal and some nice wine. I will be having lunch out today, but not so nice as yours sounds.
Hubby has to take the car in for a quote on the damaged boot ,so we will have a quick sandwich while over in Hamilton.

I will be getting some bird netting today to string over my pots. Mr Blackbird is getting very cheeky here. I caught him yesterday poking in hubbys shed.
He didnt fly off , just sat there smiling at me, then proceeded to investigate the contents of an open drawer. He casually trotted out , popped under the shadecloth and went to see what I had left out in the pots to dig in.
I like them around as they eat lots of pesky bugs, but thats getting a bit too familiar.
Hubby thought it very funny as he also has the magpies poking in there during nesting time , looking for colored wire for their nests..
I wonder if it would have been so funny if Mr Blackbird had left a gooey message on his work bench ?

Hello Anthony, how is your weather going ? Not time for the string bikini yet ?
Hope Cocky is well.

Hello Karen, glad to hear you are progressing well. It is a nuisance when things like that hold you back a bit isnt it ?

Charleen, hope you arent getting covered in snow there. Keep Charley warm.

Chrissy, keep warm & dry there. Dont go venturing out in the mud. Dont want you slipping over .

I am off to pick up all the twigs etc that the wind blew around . I may have to water in the shadehouse as the wind was blowing the rain across so sometimes a few plants miss out.

Have a nice week and enjoy this Cranberry Swirl Cheesecake.
Jean

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 5, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #8995727

Good morning everyone. The washing is going and the plumber should be here at 8.30. fingers crossed. It will lovely to just switch a tap on and water. The SH will still be watered by hand but that is "my time" and plus I get to have a look around at the same time and see another bit of colour or a new pup pushing his head through. The brugs really don't like this weather do they? Butter Bomb is flowering like mad again but he is in the afternoon shade so doesn't get so cooked. I'm just about ready to cut them all back and put them into tubs with no holes in their pots and wait for the milder Autumn to come and hope they do better. Must go I didn't realise that it was 8.00 already. Colleen
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 5, 2012
2:08 PM

Post #8995763

Good morning.

Colleen, fingers crossed that the plumbers will get the job done and all will be well for you. Must be a pain, all this waiting.

Teresa, glad you'll be home soon. Sounds like you had a fine time though. Good food and wine - yum.

Jean, hope the bird netting does the job. Those birds get very cheeky. They follow Barry around the yard when he's mowing, hoping to get any disturbed "treats" left behind. Hope you got enough rain to do some good. The epi is gorgeous.

Dianne, were you in the way of the storms? Speaking to Tash last night and they said there was no warning, and they were hit bad. No one hurt but lots of damages. Big clean up today.

Moon, glad hubby is home, safe and sound. That thistle is a doozy. Must like it there. Incredible, the way it is growing.

Hello Anthony. And Charleen, where are you? Miss your smiling face around here.

Hi to anyone else popping in. Hope everyone has a nice day planned.

Karen

My lovely orchid in flower now...

This message was edited Feb 5, 2012 3:09 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #8995812

Just testing ...did it work ?

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #8995834

So I have something called Paint ...very nice I suppose, but I can't bring myself to graffiti the pretty picture.
Having found this new toy ...I must explore :-) thanks Jean.
The sun is out ...at least so far, I think it may stick around for a while because I hear the Locusts singing out there.

Looks like everyone is busy, the ground might actually dry up a bit today, I hope so.
Please excuse while I play with my new toy ...never knew what to do with it before ...so you can teach an old dog new tricks :-).

Back later.
Enjoy your day/evening/ whichever is applicable.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #8996090

It's been awfully hard trying to find anything that isn't ruined by the rain, My poor Iochromas are brown and rotting, though I see fruit forming. I did find this poor lonely Fire Spike bloom though, it's so cute, I love it, so bright and such a lovely lacquered red.
As you can see I have been having some fun ...I like the paint now (still don't understand it all, but it's fun) thanks Jean.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 5, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #8996092

This is growing so very fast now ...another triffid, but most welcome because it's flowering and does not seem to get any munchers.

Thumbnail by chrissy100

dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 5, 2012
8:08 PM

Post #8996143

lol I can attest to old dogs learning new tricks...
Copper has been doing all kinds of new stuff & he is over 13 years old now.
Latest game is to point my fingers at him like a gun & say 'bang'...
he knows to drop down but i am still teaching him to roll onto his side & play dead.
We are back from our trip & chilling out, finally have sunshine so have left the back door open so Copper can come & go as he pleases.
Hopefully we will have nice weather when Sugar arrives so that she can run around & play.
I have so many things to teach her & will be using positive reinforcement right from the start so it will be interesting to compare her progress with how I went training Chita & then Copper.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 5, 2012
8:14 PM

Post #8996148

Chrissy, you are doing what I did...
You have to place your text away from the top of the pic...DG uses that space for it's text...
The text box is wherever you click your cursor...

Thumbnail by Seachanger

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 6, 2012
1:22 AM

Post #8996236

I just had to share this. Poor puppy, what did he do?

Karen

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #8996500

I'm here. Been a busy time here lately, No snow yet. Cool today and a little cloudy. Windy, just a little. Got some rain yesterday morning and Charley looked like a mudball walking. They so love their "dust rolls"
I've trimmed up some shrubs and got to do my Lantana. They really grow but the butterflies love them so much. But I want to trim them back...
Hugs and mules nuzzles to all.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2012
8:35 AM

Post #8996601

Popping in to say hello. Hope you are all well and happy.

Just wanted to show you the other two magnolia cultivars that have bloomed. They are part of the "Little Girl" series, Jane and Susan, respectively

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 6, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #8996609

And this is Susan, with a link to info

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/magnoli1.html

Thumbnail by themoonhowl

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 6, 2012

Post #8996927

Good morning everyone. I am very sore & sorry this morning.
I did what I am always saying none of you must do. I fell over in the garden. Stupid me...
I tripped on a hollyhock stem. Its an old plant with a few old roots & dry stems sticking out. (its coming out today though )
I caught my right foot and before I could gain my balance , down I went. . I can tell you the ground is very hard here.
I had to lay there for a minute or two because I couldnt move. Luckily hubby was just around the corner in his shed. I yelled for him and he came running , thinking I has seen a snake or something. He got a shock seeing me on the ground.
I was able to get up with his help, but it was very painful walking.
I felt a bit better after a while and we still went over to Hamilton. I was limping but managed to get around.
My knee is swollen but this morning I am walking with almost no pain. I am surprised at how little pain there is considering my knee looks like a small football.
I am feeling a lot more in my shoulder which , of course, had to be the one giving me so much trouble with the arthritis.
I must bounce well. I said to hubby.
Might be all the padding around my hips & rear end. ...lol

Of course , leaving later than planned, we missed having lunch in Hamilton so made do with a nice cuppa and a cake.

Hello Charleen, lovely to see your smiling face . Charley does love his sand rolls doesnt he ?

Hello Moon. I love magnolias. I think my small one has died in the heat here, but I'm hopeful about the larger one..

Anthony, I have five little lilium plants from those seeds , so I am hopeful they will grow well.

Hello Dianne, how are things in your garden ? I know your brugs are lovely. What else is growing well for you ?

Chrissy, I hope that rain is starting to ease off up your way. Be careful outside and don t slip in the mud.
Your brugs are still looking so much nicer than mine .

Colleen. hope the plumber arrived and you can get your tanks going now. Has there been any move on Brians memorial garden as yet ?

Hello Karen, glad your leg is improving. You will be feeling much better now it is showing signs of really healing properly. .

Teresa, glad you are well and it wont before you will have the new girl there.
Copper will love her and even though he is getting on in years, nice to hear hes still smart enough to learn something new.

I am off to inspect the garden ( limping )

I have a new lot of seed mix so can start potting up all those brug babies. I also am going to try growing some staghorn ferns from spore.

Heres a treat for you all... Sponge Cake , with lots of cream of course.
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 6, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #8996961

Good morning everyone. The front garden is fully under sprinklers and they WORK. Yippee that will save me a lot of time. I don't know if I like that the sprinklers are sticking up about everything and quite plain to see but it was the only way to get good coverage with all the big plants. The plumber will be back tomorrow to do the back garden and the tanks. Have to get moving. Will be back after i take the boys to school. Colleen

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 6, 2012
2:19 PM

Post #8996999

Morning everyone.
Be back this afternoon for a chat...
Sun is shining...

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 6, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #8997094

Goodness Gracious. You are not a Pillbug, young lady... I do that at least once in a while. Makes you feel helpless to fall too. My knees are knobby and getting up is not easy. Must be my Rump holding me down. I'm always somewhere around, I love you all...So I'll be sure to pop in for me and Charley a Cuppa...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 6, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #8997296

Jean, so sorry that you hurt yourself, I didn't get a chance to read your post this morning, I was on my way to visit a friend who fell over yesterday and broke her ankle and big toe, walking her dog..
You must feel very shaken up..sometimes the extra padding comes in handy...

As far as my garden goes, your GHA is flowering and I put a pic on the Brug thread...the roses keep on flowering as do the crepe myrtles...the big beautiful flowering gum opposite, that was damaged in the wind the other day, was totally removed by the council this morning..So sad...they couldn't be bothered trying to save it...I know that because we are on a hillside we do get strong winds in our street
but they could have pruned it back, as I have done to keep the trees we have...oh well.

Good for you Colleen, you are now automatic...lol
Jean, if you need more Stag spore, just let me know...mine always seem to be in that condition...maybe they are promiscuous...

Anthony, I have Fyno, thanks very much...I contacted Dianne re more of the L.speciosum album and she will have some later in the year...that and the Henryii are now my favourites...anything with those sticking up whisker things in the throat...that they both have...

More watermelon pics...

Hey everyone, now we can upload up to 5 pics...here's 2
Dianne

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 6, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #8997300

I was so chuffed, that I forgot to put down the name of the Brug...it's Jean's Glasshouse Angel...
Thanks DG...we have been needing this facility.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 6, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #8997375

Dont you just love him Dianne. My GHA is coming out too. A bit pale but he will get better with age.
I find he is a very upright grower here. You may find yourself doing what I did and take his top off when he gets beyond reach.

Love the idea od loading more pics, now I just have to get more pics..lol

Thank you for the sympathy Charleen & Dianne. I am feeling much better now as I have been trying to keep moving all morning to get the stiffness out.
Hubby went out and chopped the offending plant out for me.
Dear thing. ( hubby, not the plant)

Colleen, if you are not too keen on seeing the sprinklers sticking up, change them for drippers.
I started with sprinklers years ago when firs tusing retic.

I found out myself, and was also told by a very astute gardener, that a lot of the water gets wasted from sprinklers in the hot weather. A lot evaporates and with drippers you can water anytime where sprinklers are not so good in the heat of the day.
People think that because the soil doesnt look so wet with the drippers , it is not getting watered.
It is but the water is going staiaght into the soil so you dont see large wet patches.
I changed to drippers and would not go back to sprays at all. Even if the drippers are not on the actual plants , the roots get to the moisture.

There are all sorts of drippers to use from plain ones to adjustable flow ones and even very slow drippers for smaller plants. I also found that I seem to have less trouble with insects getting in thte drippers even though they are on the ground.
A hint for you...
Keep a pin out near your hoses to clean any heads that get blocked.
I use the large sewing pins with colored heads.
I must admit, I dont use them often now as I leave the retic hoses off on a lot of the garden now the plants are grown.
If you dont already have them on your retic hose, get some filters for each hose and a timer for each tap.
. I personally keep a separate bit of garden hose from the tap to each section of retic. It is so easy to just click each one to the tap timer when needed.
Heres Dracula. I picked him up in Mt Gambier for only $8 as he was the last one .
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 7, 2012
12:52 AM

Post #8997542

Dianne, i have spec album out now, so what you are looking for are seedlings of anything, bred with 'Henryi' or Speciosum.,.,. or Oriental,.,.,google up a ''Crimson Glory''- you will love it!!! massive protrusive ''pappillae''.,.,Jean, yours should be there tomorrow!!,.,.,Theres now 4 videos on the ''claremont flower show gallery 21''-have a peek-Anthony
Hello to everybody!!!!!!!!

This message was edited Feb 7, 2012 3:58 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 7, 2012
1:53 AM

Post #8997548

Anthony, dear...will you have any of those Crimson Glory bulbs for sale in autumn?
I googled and came up with yours...on another site,
or for that matter will you have any more Henryii?

Love Dracula, Jean...hope your aches are going...
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
2:16 AM

Post #8997552

Hello all, I've been peeking in the windows every night. One of my sisters is moving so I have been over packing and today was the big move. She does a lot of sewing and had a lot of materials etc..took all day getting all the bolts and boxes and books to her new place. Shew also has heaps of plants!!! Going up and down stairs at both places, I am going to be fit!! Why anyone would need to go to a gym, I don't know!!! Consequently, this place has piles of stuff everywhere..bringing the washing up at 5am and just dumping it in piles everywhere,middle son moved back and piles of his stuff everywhere, I had to empty his room very quickly so nearly everything is in the lounge room or front verandah..with tracks through between the boxes and piles.. piles of my sister's stuff here, boxes of books, my easel and painting stuff lining the hallway etc etc..and middle son rings me while I am at my sister's to say a strange thing happened..when he returned from work this morning, he saw an older lady coming up our path weeping..Turns out, or so she said, she grew up here and hasn't been back since..so...wait for it...he gave her a guided tour!! Chooks wandering through the place and all. I bet she was more than weeping when she left!!!!

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
3:28 AM

Post #8997564

Hello everyone.

Jean, that was a nasty experience, and I hope you are fully recovered very soon. I quite like Dracula.

Kat, the story about the weeping lady almost felt like deja vu, but I don't know why. Touched a chord somewhere. I am glad I am not moving. It is such a huge thing to do.

Di, that is great news that we can upload more pics in one post. There are times when one just doesn't cover it, and somehow it loses something in the next post. If that makes sense :).

Just because I can...
my orchid out at the moment
baby pitcher plant "flowers"

Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong   Thumbnail by DawnSong

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #8997609

The last one in the door tonight ...had cousins to visit today (lovely to have family from interstate) and no I am not moving to Bundaberg (they are trying to twist my arm). No cane toads for me thanks !

Oh Jean you poor thing, my toes throb just thinking about your accident, falling in the garden is a real danger. I hope you are feeling more comfortable tonight, it's usually the next morning that it's is so stiff and sore. I hope it won't be too sore. I love the little gargoyle or whatever that funny little statue is, very gothic.

I do love this new multi pic feature :-)

Kat the thought of the actual moving is freaking me out, at this point I can't even imagine it, I just know the next two years will go in a blink and then it will be me wading through over 40 years of accumulated stuff ( I have one whole room of books/mags). I don't want to think about it right now (a Winter chore perhaps). good luck with all the coming and going.

Moon love the Magnolia pics, glad your hubby is home.

Charleen you are so funny.

Colleen glad you have your waterworks sorted.

Love your watermelons Dianne, they wouldn't have worked here in all this, no Zucchinis, not much of anything that requires sun,
I am a little green eyed . :-)

Love the Pitcher plants Karen.

Better get some sleep, I am worn out, but happy, cousins will be here until Sunday.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #8997652

Good Morning.

Everyone has been busy I see.. Jean, so sorry to hear of your fall. Hope you are feeling no ill effects. Good on your Hubby for removing the offender. I love your Gargoyle, Dracula. I have always fancied them .

Isn't that always the way it goes, Kat? Of course she would show up at the most inopportune time, but sweet of your son to be so kind to her.

Colleen, glad the plumber finally got there. Did you ever find your back gate key?

Congrats on the melons Dianne...they should be huge and ready to go before too long...don't think they'll make it by Adelaide cup day, but maybe by Good Friday...grin

Karen, the orchid is lovely and the baby pitchers are so cute.

Chrissy, I know how daunting the move must seem. We moved after 25 years in the same house and I started de-cluttering and packing 3 months in advance and still had tons to go the week of the move. Glad you are having a good visit with the Cousins.

Here are a few of the spring flowers coming up here now.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl   Thumbnail by themoonhowl

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2012
1:19 PM

Post #8998164

A quick hello while everyone is having Breakfast,what beautiful Spring flowers Moon. It feels like Winter is approaching here, though it is only Autumn coming (usually my favourite season). I hope your Spring will be beautiful.

I will try to get back later.
Enjoy your day everyone ! :-)
ctmorris
barmera
Australia

February 7, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #8998182

Morning everyone I can hear Jean coming along the path so will just put the kettle on and get the cups ready and see what she brings for us to munch on. The back garden is getting the treatment today and hopefully the tanks will go in and then I'll pray for rain to fill them. The "Mother" has turned up again. Created some turbulance and poor little Branden was crying in class yesterday and wanting to come home. Cameren did his normal disruptive behaviour and ended up in the head's office for the last part of the day. One get's his emotions out and the other bottles his up and then explodes. I have now given her my mobile number and hopefully that will work better. I had a talk to her and told her not to tell the boys when she's coming so that they're not waiting and waiting when she doesn't come. This way might work better as it will be a surprise for them and no pressure on her. Hopefully things will work themselves out and the boys will be able to get to know her a bit. Well boys to get ready for school so must go. Be back later. Colleen

Thumbnail by ctmorris

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 7, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #8998187

Good morning everyone. Very dull here this morning. Looks like it wants to rain.. Probably clear to a nice day as yesterday.
I sat in the greenhouse yesterday and did some potting up . I still have lots more babies to do, but I am taking things slowly. I am feeling all the bruises now. Funny how these things take a day or so to appear just when you thought , oh I feel pretty good. I will be purple & blue all down my leg and my rear end.
Hubby thinks its funny now that he sees me okay. Gave him a fright to see me laying on the ground. He's usually the clumsy one.

Hello Chrissy, enjoy your visitors. I used to move frequently when living in WA as when renting, one sometimes has to relocate when houses are sold.
I had it down to a fine art then because I never accumulated much stuff.
Now, it would be different, but I am pretty good at being ruthless with getting rid of stuff.
Chrissy, keep what is really important to you personally and toss everything else. It is easier to do slowly from now, rather than wait until the last minute and get desperate to want to keep everything.
I used to help my Dad when we moved so learned a few tricks .
Do a room at a time . Clear out the stuff not for keeping
When you eventually pack, use a notebook to keep a note of everything which has been put in numbered boxes.

Hello Moon, love those pretty spring flowers. I just love spring when everything is making a bew start.

Kat, your son did a lovely thing even if the lady was upset. I'm sure she appreciated the gesture.

Karen, very cute 'babies'. I have never seen a real pitcher plant up close but they are fascinating.

Anthony, I keep going back to look at the flower show pics. So beautiful.
I love your "Crimson Glory " too.
I have little new shoots in a couple of my lilium pots. I will have to tip them all out and repot as Mrs Blackbird has also been looking at them. Luckily she didnt toss the tags out with dirt.

Dianne, I have lots of cold brugs coming up and am going to have a whole day potting them up soon.

Colleen, so sad to see the boys getting upset. That person will never learn. Just hope the boys soon learn how shallow she is.
You are the true "mother".

Charleen, hugs to you and Charley. Hope you are seeing some signs of spring there.
I thought I saw little Kaitlyn near the kitchen door this morning. Is Charley training her to cadge food for him ?

Teresa, how are things over your way ? Hope work is going well for you. Have you been splashing out on more pretty new clothes ?

Better get out and do some watering. The small bit of rain we had soon dried up. You would never know we had it except for the faint green tinge of the weeds coming up.

Enjoy your day and keep dry if you are in the wet areas.

Heres something tasty for morning tea. Carrot and Walnut Loaf..
Happy day
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #8998201

You know Charley is always tryint to trick one of these critters to sneak him a treat. glad to hear you are getting along.

Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule   Thumbnail by ridesredmule

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #8998268

Oh how pretty Charleen. I have some very small tete-a-tete daffs that haven't bloomed yet. They are only about 4 inches tall.

Colleen, my heart goes out to the boys...Cameren reminds me so much of my GS Jordan. He keeps all the hurt in and then just falls apart. She called him a few days ago to tell him she was getting married again (#4) and prefaced it with..."OH you are getting a new Daddy"...he said nothing for a minute or two and then simply said...I have a father...you keep this one. and hung up the phone. When he went to the gym they had to pull him off his sparring partner...he just lost it and started swinging...poor darlings...a rotten Mom is a cruel cut.

Hope the bruises heal soon Jean
DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 7, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #8998280

Good morning. Beautiful morning, but will get hot as the day passes.

Chrissy, what is a good way to dispose of huge collections of magazine apart from dumping them? I have so many here too, and need to downsize drastically, but to toss them out would really hurt. Some are whole volumes with some limited editions, but just no longer of interest to me. The majority are doll magazines.

Jean, carrot and walnut cake makes my mouth water. Good thing its cyber cake or I'd be in trouble. Went and saw my endocronologist yesterday, and he just shook his head at the number of times I fail my diet. I hope you are much improved today after your fall.

Anthony, I enjoyed browsing through the flower show pics. Your winning flower is a stunner!

Colleen, I can only imagine how sad you must feel for the boys. It seems a shame that you are the one trying to hold everything together, but hats off to you for doing it.

Charleen, give that Charley boy a pat for me. I have a bag of carrots here for the possum. Would Charley like one? I want to grow some bulbs. I love your daffodils.

Moon, how lovely you are celebrating Spring already. Soon we will be into Autumn, but I'm wondering if we are in for a heat blast before we get the glorious golden days.

Hello everyone else popping in. Hope you all have a lovely day.

I'm sending prayers to all those affected by the devastating floods in Qld and NSW. Is it ever going to end, or is central Aus going to be an inland sea forever?

Karen
Dreaming of water today in a good way.

This message was edited Feb 7, 2012 4:25 PM

Thumbnail by DawnSong

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 7, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #8998646

Daffs are such lovely, happy flowers, aren't they...large or small, they say good days are coming...

Anthony, the Fyno's are here...thank you very much...I will put them in a pretty pot...

Colleen, I would be thinking about an intervention order for that woman...the boys need structure, not disruption...

Love the little fly catchers, Karen...I bought my son one last year and it's still going...they had one about 30cm deep at the Macedon Rare plant show last year...you could have lost your hand or a pesky dog...only joking...Tilly is right here and she wants my jellycake...

Tete -a- Tete's are lovely, Moon...I have those, Jet Fire and another whose name I can't remember at the minute...and a few of the hoop types...
Anthony is encouraging us in the little daffy direction...he has given us some Fynos..
Moon, I have to respond to your remark about the melons...if it doesn't warm up here, they won't be ripe until Christmas...let alone Easter...lol

That lady would have gone away very happy, Kat...she probably enjoyed the ambience of a family home in her former home..chooks and all.

Charleen, I made molasses horse biscuits today..I'll save some for Charley and co.

Nice soaking bubble bath for you Jean...do you good...

Chrissy, once you find the place you're looking for, you won't be able to pack fast enough...don't stress.

Not the clearest pic. but can you smell the lovely chocolate/caramel perfume?...
Dianne...

This message was edited Feb 8, 2012 4:57 PM

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 7, 2012
10:43 PM

Post #8998666

Dinner is almost ready and I didn't have cook it ...beef stew :-)

I will sneak back later when they are watching the telly for a chat ...beautiful pictures ! everyone.
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 8, 2012
12:49 AM

Post #8998703

An old saying,' you cant take it with you'-so i love to share my excess bulbs.,.That 'crimson glory 'is 4 yrs +[registered],.,.,.each year, ive sat back and watched leaves flutter and thats all,.,but this year,..,it paid off!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ..certainly, one thing when growing seed liliums, you have to be patient,.,.,.this year, [coming] i hope to be able to show a hot pink trumpet,., and a dark purple trumpet ..and hopefully a red/white speckled tango, from 'Grapus', a member here, in Norway,[he has some 'Crimson Glory' pollen arriving soon, which he may be able to work wonders with]..Glad you all enjoyed the lily gallery-Anthony

This message was edited Feb 8, 2012 3:51 PM
katciao
Brisbane
Australia

February 8, 2012
12:52 AM

Post #8998707

How did you fare in the storms and heavy rain we just had, Karen? We never seem to get it very badly here as Mt Coot-tha seems to divide the storm mass and then it seems to continue on either side of us
dalfyre
Christchurch
New Zealand

February 8, 2012
1:06 AM

Post #8998713

it looks like my wee Sugar should be here Saturday afternoon, I am really looking forward to meeting her.
I was struck by how many lovely oleanders I saw in Blenheim.
Some very nicely pruned into trees & others were bushy shrubs.
Some nice colours but I couldn't make out if any were doubles.
I see a few oleanders here in ChCh so they must be frost tolerant, there is a nice one up the road & I would love a closer look but it is just too far down the property to see it properly.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 8, 2012

Post #8999456

Good morning everyone...I finally go there. I have been wandering again. One looks in on a thread then has to read all and look at all the lovely pics.
Its cold here again but fine . We will get sun a bit later when the cloud gets warmed up and wanders off to the sea.
We popped over to Coleraine yesterday so I could get my haircut.
I came back and did a bit of potting again.
Today I will be potting up some of my hippies that have been floating around in their bath in the lounge. I do like watching as they get tiny roots then the green leaf comes out. Once the leaves start, they get top heavy and keep diving under the water, so time to introduce them to the great outdoors in some nice seed mix.
I have last years hippie babies looking like real plants outside with the big boys .

Teresa, I love Oleanders and they seem to grow like weeds in some places. I have 2 here that have never grown over 3' high in all the years I have had them.
I have tried others that I bought and cuttings from friends but they just wont grow.
They seem to like the area, just not my bit of it.
I bet you are getting excited to finally have Sugar there.

Hello Kat, glad you are okay after the rain. It does seem to be selective in where it does rain. Its so sad to see all that country under water for so long.

Anthony, thank you for my little bulbs. I had to tip all my bulbs out of their pots yesterday and am hoping all the right labels are still with the bulbs. The blackbirds had really done a good job of cleaning out the soil in the pots .
I will cover all the pots with mesh now . I have mesh everywhere as the birds have taken a liking to digging in the damp soil because everything else is so dry. They usually stick to the mulch but as I dont water the main garden area, its all too dry for them.
Maybe I should install a sprinkler just for them ...lol

Chrissy, how lovely to have someone do the cooking for you. I hope you get some dry weather now so your brugs etc can do their thing properly.

Colleen, my winter hippie is getting new leaves . Hope it multiplies as I love the flower.

Dianne, I am doing the same as you with my brugs. I want shorter bushy plants that I can keep in pots.
Those little abutilons are all flowering with the tiniest of flowers. Not sure if they will all look the same when they grow more , but the flowers are about 2cm and mainly a cream color.
A lot of the second lot from you didnt make it past the hot days we had . Even though damp, the leaves were just too small I think.
I still have 5 of those along with 12 of my lot.

Karen, if the magazines you and Chrissy have are on particular subjects ( as yours are on dolls) why not try the local craft societies or the aged persons homes etc. They may like them .

I am nor a collector of things any more. When I had to give up my huge collection of elephants many moons ago due to one of lifes upheavals, I said no more, so I just collect a "few "plants now.

Hello Charleen and Moon.
I put some carrots out for Charley and a few cake crumbs for the dear little Kaitlyn.

I had better move myself and do a few things domestic before I get outside and forget the chores inside.

I am moving slowly but quite well now. There are very colorful bruises on my knee and hip.

I will leave something yummy for you all.
Couldnt resist trying out loading more than 1 pic so heres a large plate of Cream Cakes along with a Capuccino for all.
Happy day.
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 8, 2012
2:35 PM

Post #8999507

Hello everyone.

Kat, the worst of the storms miss us here too. I am always shocked to hear about damages and flash flooding from storms that were just little hiccups here. Glad you miss the worst of them too.

Jean, that sounds like an idea. I did ask at the local library if they wanted the series, as they have all sorts of magazine series there, but none on dolls. They weren't interested. Other places might be. Most have doll dress patterns, and patterns for teddy bears in them, so there must be somewhere that would be interested.

Teresa, you must be getting very excited now Sugar is joining your family. So pleased for you, and do look forward to how the first meeting with Copper goes.

I do hope everyone has a lovely day planned. It is actually a little cool here this morning, but that won't last long as the sun is out and already starting to warm the air.

Karen

In the mood for crystals today.

Thumbnail by DawnSong

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #8999594

Dog gone you give me carrots and Charley sees those Donuts and wants them too.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 8, 2012

Post #8999708

I've come in at the right time, cake and cappucino...thanks Jean..
I've been trimming things back and I am noticing how confused the garden is...

Usually, I get a few flowers on the Magnolias in summer, but this year, there have been dozens of flowers since December and they are still going and it's the middle of Summer..
I have Astilbes, which flower in spring, coming thru...Hellebores in flower and quite possibly my Sasanquas will have their main flush in the hottest month of February..they are loaded and ready to burst into flower...

My Nashi fruit usually starts to ripen in March, but they are ready to pick now,the strawberries are starting another flush and the tomatoes, cucumbers are still going...
I will have to give the Donut peach a really hard prune this weekend...it has grown enormous, so a lot of it's branches will be going...
The Passionfruit are starting to ripen and that watermelon, gets bigger by the day...though it's not as big as it looks in the pic...lol
Except for the beans and Jostaberry...though there are plenty of flowers on the beans still..none on the Jostaberry it's only a year old.
it's been a very productive year in my garden,

Jean, tell us about your berry vines...
I would like to hear how everyone went with their fruit and veggies...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 8, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #8999897

Berry vines...hmmmmmm.
Yes I do have some of those dont I ??
Last year with the wet summer , they were wonderful..
Thia year with no rain to speak of, they are growing but the fruit is coming to nothing.
I may move a couple in winter. I have a retic hose line that goes to the water trough, so may put some plants on that.
A simple matter to put in a couple of drippers.

I have just been watering all the shadehouses and pots.
I have a mystery here.
The day I fell over, I had just put out a whole packet of snail pellets on the broms etc in the fernery/ shadhouses.

Next day they were all gone. Yes all...
Yesterday I put out another large box of pellets . This morning,,,yes,,, all gone. What on earth would eat all those snail pellets ????
Birds cant get in and I havent seen any evidence of mice.. Besides if the mice ate them I would see at least one dead mouse somewhere.
Hubby thinks maybe native bush rats because they do come around in the paddocks some years. They usually only eat grass roots anyway.

Very odd...

Jean

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 8, 2012
9:15 PM

Post #8999937

That is a mystery, Jean...I can't imagine what might eat them...though dogs do don't they, so they might be appealing to the bush rats...hope not..

We had an unpleasant trip thru the Brisbane Ranges yesterday...we were travelling for about 20 minutes and saw 10 dead wallabies,on the sides of the road...one about every klm...poor things must have come out because it was a very bright moonlit night...so what speeds do people travel thru a forest at night?...the council had been thru and marked them all, so there weren't any Joeys...

Hope you get a couple of pretty colours in the Abutilons,Jean...they are a fantastic little plant...
The Oleanders have been magnificent this summer, they seem to be everywhere...they certainly love this weather...
This crepe myrtle on the front lawn is Ray's favourite...it's called Zuni...the other is my fave Tuscarora

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger

g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 9, 2012
1:02 AM

Post #8999987

Dianne-look into the crimson glorys eyes,.,.I still have 'Angel Rose' to show if it blooms, but i will have many pink speciosum 'rubrum' cross bulbs to share this year.,,.

Henryi x seed?This message was edited Feb 9, 2012 4:05 PM

This message was edited Feb 9, 2012 4:07 PM

Thumbnail by g_whizz

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

February 9, 2012
4:03 AM

Post #9000040

Hi everyone ...just finished putting the shopping away. It's been a long time since I have done late night shopping but my cousins wanted to go into Penrith, I call it the city lol. Too many busy stressed people in there. We won't talk about the rain. Thunderous !

I am very tired so I will say goodnight and try and get onto the puter before my cousin wants it tomorrow.
I hope everyone had a good day, and better weather than our grey wet Sydney, the city that lost Summer.
ginger749

February 9, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9000657

My wet weather visitors.

Thumbnail by ginger749

DawnSong
Brisbane
Australia

February 9, 2012
1:01 PM

Post #9000658

Morning all. My brain is very fuzzy this morning so will keep it short.

Dianne, I get so upset about the dead wildlife on the roads. Mt Cotton has been home to the birds and animals since the dawn of time, I reckon, and they have ancient trails they follow. Now those trails cross high speed roads, and its a daily slaughter of beautiful creatures trying to follow their old trails. Every day, koalas, echidnas, wallabies, possums, and once I even saw a huge python, his head in the grass on one side of the highway, and his tail in the grass on the other side. He'd been run over and was dead. He was so big, people were stopping to look. I felt so sad. How many years had it taken for him to achieve that size, yet he was lost in a split second.

I feel the same when magnificent, ancient trees are cut down. They take so long to grow, yet man sees nothing of their beauty, their awesomeness. Only $$$. And magnificent, huge fish that survived all the dangers of their watery homes, only to be killed by man's need to kill. We don't need those for eating, there are plenty normal size fish for eating. To take what I call "The Wise Old Men" just to show off is sickening.

OK, rant over. Feeling fuzzy in the head today. Need to go shake out the cobwebs.

Karen

77sunset
Merino
Australia

February 9, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9000681

Good morning everyone. I have moved us over as the path was getting long again.

Anthony, a beautiful lilium. . I am now waiting on all the nerines to push their heads up. The white belladonnas (Hathor) are all starting to come up and open. I love them.
Even though there have been lots of the pink naked ladies around , mine are not up yet.

Colleen, hope you get rain to fill your tanks. It will be so easy for you now to water.

Dianne, I have 2 little crepe myrtles I grew from seed. They are now in larger pots and doing well.
Yours look very pretty.

Chrissy, I know exactly how you feel about going in to the city. I find Hamilton bad enough so am glad I never have to go to Melbourne these days.
I hope you get to see some sun soon.

Ginger, very unusual and pretty flowers.

Karen, feel free to rant any time. Thats what the Tea Room is for. One can have a bit of a grumble as well as normal chat.
I also feel bad when I see all the creatures dead along the roadsides.
I wonder why all those drivers dont take the time to enjoy their driving instead of rushing here and there.
Allow a bit of extra time to reach where you are going. Much more relaxing anyway instead of the tension of hurrying.
I realise trucks etc have time tables but that doesnt excuse hitting animals that are usually visible and would have a chance to get out of the way if vehicles were not speeding.

What also annoys me is the litter . Not only along the roads but also at any stop along the way.
I see bins at rest stops, filled with large green garbage bags that look like someone household rubbish.
We saw appliances that were thrown over the lookout at our local waterfall.
I blame greedy councils for a lot of this. I dont know about other states, but down here there is a large lot of rubbish dumping not only at thrift shop bins but along roads etc. If we want to dump an appliance ( microwave, toaster etc ) at the tip ( sorry, 'transfer station') it can cost about $10 per item. Same for other large rubbish. I thought tips were to collect rubbish, not charge like a wounded bull for it.
I would not dump in the bush or elsewhere , but I can see why people do. Who could afford the fees.
Well thats my go on the soapbox too.
Better go and see whats going on outside. A bit foggy this morning and quite cool.
I am going to see if the koala is still up in our gum tree.

Charleen & Moon, enjoy your day over there. I left a cake out for Charley.
Teresa. Big day tomorrow. Give that pretty Sugar a pat from me.

Happy day. Heres your treat for morning tea...Chocolate and Rum Truffles..
Don teat too many at once.
Happy day.
we have moved to here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241780/
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset

ridesredmule

ridesredmule
Barnesville (Charle, GA
(Zone 8b)

February 9, 2012

Post #9000736

I was sitting here at my computer, I can look out into the pasture. I saw little flakes of hay flying over the fence and Charley moving that big red butt around trying to protect his from the donkeys. Sometimes I have a circus out there.
to look so innocent!!!
Charley loves leftover Cakes, He sends you sweet nuzzles of love.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

February 9, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9001283

They look fantastic, Ginger...nice to hear from you..how's the BBQ, everytime I see one in Bunnings they look so fragile compared to your monolith...they make me smile.

Same here, Jean...we have 4 op shops locally inc the Salvos and still they dump things...the charities have had to take away their bins, because of the rubbish...

Any wonder they do, with the charges at the so called "transfer station"...we used to get tip tickets with the rate notice that would entitle ratepayers to 3 free loads...
Our council has stopped hard rubbish collections, the scouts have a metal collection, twice a year, so they make a bit of money...fridges, metal, all that sort of stuff.

Charleen, what do they do in Georgia, about that sort of rubbish?
g_whizz
rosetta TASMANIA
Australia

February 10, 2012
12:59 AM

Post #9001334

This is a result of seed sent from 'Grapus' in Norway--This is what lily breeding and growing is all about- nobody knows what it will look like, until the day it blooms

Thumbnail by g_whizz

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

February 10, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9001395

Jean has the kettle on in the Tasmanian Tea Room...let's go see Anthony...grin

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1241780/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 218 Jan 22, 2014 3:49 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America